• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mindgames Potential: Quantifying a character's effect on a player's Yomi ability

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Mindgames Potential: Quantifying a character's effect on a player's Yomi ability

Players often complain about the difference between theory and practice, and not without merit. Between players of about even skill, matches too often don't seem to end like the theory suggests it should.

I have suggested on many occasions that the way to solve that gap is to theorize better, and this post is an attempt to do that, explain how to theorize better, because the gap seems to be an inability to account for a character's ability to influence player's predictive ability.

There enhancements are divided into two categories, ease of use, in other words attributes that improve a character's predictive and baiting ability, and effectiveness, attributes that enhance the influence that successful mindgames have on the opponent. Some of these attributes are very match-up dependent (like number of safe on shield options) while others are general character attributes (like killing power), though these attributes can be hurt or enhanced by a character's attributes. This means that this should not be used to create a general list of strengths, instead it is a framework for part of match-up discussions.

Furthermore, I recognize a lot of this is common sense ultimately, but after doing match-up discussions for a while I recognize that a framework is needed.

What this is not: Let's assume your MK gets mindgamed into an Ike f-smash, MINDGAMES!

[/background explanation]

First a few definitions.

Mindgames: A player's ability to predict what will give him her an advantage in a given situation based on what his/her opponent will do prior to the opponent actually revealing what they will do.

Mindgames Potential: A character's enhancements to a players mindgames in terms of ease mindgaming the opponent and making successful mindgames more successful. Measurable and match-up dependent.

Without further ado:

Ease of Use categories:

This covers attributes that make it easier to mindgame the opponent in practice. All of these are very match-up specific, so it's not uncommon to find these reversed from match-up to match-up
unless you're metaknight
. Character that are fast, have lots of options from a relatively safe position, or can cancel their moves very well tend to do well in these.

1. Raw chance: The chance that one's character's option will beat another's using weighted randomly chosen options.

To illustrate this, let's assume we have two characters in the neutral state, we'll call them the attacker and the defender. They both have 4 options. Let's also assume that that the options are fast enough that the defender must execute his option before he/she knows what the attacker will do and that defender times his option perfectly (timing is covered later). Furthermore, each option of the attacker's is beaten by one and only one of the defender's options.

Assuming that an option is chosen randomly by both, what are the odds that the defender will pick the option that defeats the attacker's choice? 1/4 obviously.

Of course it's never going to be that easy in an actual match-up, multiple options can be covered by a single option and it's possible that some options are totally safe if perfectly timed. Most importantly options are weighted in real life, one option can beat 3 or 4 options of the opponent while others only beat one. For the purposes of this category, when discussing match-ups, weigh the chances of players choosing an option based on the number of options it beats and the margin of error (discussed later), the more options it beats the more it should appear. The lower the margin of error, the less it should appear.

Note: This probably the most important category because it defines how the others are used. Also for optimal accuracy it should be done for every situation, but the neutral position (aka, where people normally question which character is forced to approach) is usually the most important, though very common positions (aka sonic dashing at you) are also vitally important.

2. Margin of Error: The degree of mistake or level of prediction required to create the desired situation for a the player in question in the situation in question. This can refer to anything from precision required for spacing to timing required to do something (not tech skill obviously, "you have to predict your opponent correctly to x frames", timing).

To illustrate this, a couple of examples. In the Snake vs. MK match-up, MK's dtilt outranges every safe option snake has on the ground at the edge of MK's melee range. However, there's only a very tiny distance between the hitbox of a dropped snake grenade, and MK's hurtbox, therefore there's a very tiny margin of error for MK's spacing, making it easier for snake to mindgame mk into a less advantageous spacing.

On the other hand, take Falcon punch (done straight, not out of a combo), it has an enormous charge-up time so it's very easy for opponents to react and chose an option that works against that. This means that in order to mindgame an opponent into a falcon punch, they must make a very large mistake.

Keep in mind that the definition of a "mistake" varies from match-up to match-up. For example, against Marth, because of his superb punishing game, touching shield generally qualifies as a mistake. However in most match-ups with Falcon, touching shield is shield pressure, a success, albeit a small one.

Effectiveness categories:
This department deals with attributes that make a mindgame victory more effective when it is achieved. Most of these are more common-sense then the above, but included for completeness. Characters with powerful attacks, lots of advantageous positions, or that are good gimpers tend to do well here.

1. Damage Potential: How much damage a character achieves with a given attack or punisher when successful.

Pretty obvious, a guaranteed combination that deals 50% damage will do a lot better in this category then one that does 5%.

2. Killing Power: The ability of a given attack or punisher to result in a guaranteed kill.

Obviously stage dependent, but in general abilities and combinations that result in guaranteed KOs at lower percents on average tend to score highly in this category. Off-stage gimps are part of this when the situation in question is off-stage/edguarding.

3. Positional advantage created: The ability of a given attack or punisher to put the opponent in a position where your mindgames potential is superior.

An easy example is that the attack/punisher places your opponent off-stage when you're Mk (or any good edgeguarder) and your opponent is Ganondorf (or any character that's very easy to kill when off-stage).

MINDGAMES SON!

Credits:

Everyone who's ever told me "it's just theory"

The Sonic boards for prompting the initial thought.

K 2 for his suggestion.

Inui, M2K, and everyone else who participated in the MK vs. Snake debate on the "Ban MK" thread for improving my understanding of why there is a gap between theory and reality (or hopefully was).

RDK, for the discussion that directly spawned this thread.

K 2

Smash Lord
Interesting. You should put the definition of mindgames on the OP. Many people have no idea what it means and it might help clarify things.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Yomi "Guessing game"? And not just "Guessing game in general" but a very specific kind of guessing game when it comes to Competitive fighters:
Will it be an overhead/mid or a low?

So the word "Yomi" in the title is misleading since this thread isn't about the High/Low guessing game (once your shield has shrunk) at all but about mindgames in general (I don't even know if there's a Japanese word for "mindgames", though).

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Yomi "Guessing game"? And not just "Guessing game in general" but a very specific kind of guessing game when it comes to Competitive fighters:
Will it be an overhead/mid or a low?

So the word "Yomi" in the title is misleading since this thread isn't about the High/Low guessing game (once your shield has shrunk) at all but about mindgames in general (I don't even know if there's a Japanese word for "mindgames", though).
Yomi is knowing the mind (technically knowing the soul) of your opponent in general, yes it's a Japanese word, but it's a bit more universally recognized then the smash community's direct equivalent, "mindgames", which is why I chose to reference to it specifically, primarily because Sirlin references to it.

So, yes, Yomi=mindgames.

IrArby

Smash Ace
Nice post, I see alot of the same things you and others have been saying in the Balance thread too.

You're missing one huge thing though . . .

Ok, actually you're not, I just wanted to make you stress for a second there. Good Sh*t!

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yomi is knowing the mind (technically knowing the soul) of your opponent in general, yes it's a Japanese word, but it's a bit more universally recognized then the smash community's direct equivalent, "mindgames", which is why I chose to reference to it specifically, primarily because Sirlin references to it.

So, yes, Yomi=mindgames.
So what's the Japanese word for "Guessing game", again?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
So what's the Japanese word for "Guessing game", again?
A guessing game between two (or more) players is a game that you're trying to "know the soul of your opponent". I can double check with my old Japanese professor but I believe the linguistic idea of a guessing game from reading somebody's soul in Japanese.

Interestingly enough, it's also the name of a shinto underworld (which was adopted by other local religions), so the supernatural connections are probably why it's literally "soul-reading" not "mind-reading".

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm talking about guessing games in Competitive fighting games. What is the Japanese word for the High/Mid/Low and Overhead/Mid/Low guessing games?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I'm talking about guessing games in Competitive fighting games. What is the Japanese word for the High/Mid/Low and Overhead/Mid/Low guessing games?
No specific word that I'm aware of, there's not a specific word for everything, even in English sometimes descriptions have to suffice and English has a larger vocabulary.

If you happen to know of a more specific term then Yomi please share.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
No specific word that I'm aware of, there's not a specific word for everything, even in English sometimes descriptions have to suffice and English has a larger vocabulary.

If you happen to know of a more specific term then Yomi please share.
I don't know it, that's why I'm asking you. I don't use the Japanese terms for things, I use the English terms... and also charades.

Like back when I didn't know the inputs for Xianghua's inputs in SC3, I'd act them out live or make gestures or describe how she moved when asking good Xianghua players for tips. Or how I still don't know how to do Sopihitia's Death Fist (because I don't play as her) so I alternate between calling it "Death Fist" and simply making the Death Fist-motion while yelling out "Shaa!" when discussing it.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
I don't know it, that's why I'm asking you. I don't use the Japanese terms for things, I use the English terms... and also charades.

Like back when I didn't know the inputs for Xianghua's inputs in SC3, I'd act them out live or make gestures or describe how she moved when asking good Xianghua players for tips. Or how I still don't know how to do Sopihitia's Death Fist (because I don't play as her) so I alternate between calling it "Death Fist" and simply making the Death Fist-motion while yelling out "Shaa!" when discussing it.
This is the most epic part of your post.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I thought 'yomi' meant the act of reading. I'm japanese, so I'm pretty sure I know.
It does, but it refers to multiple types of reading, at least in the dialect I studied.

Question, what dialect do you speak?

Ok, thought you were criticizing and you knew something I didn't. But no, I don't know of any term for that specific guessing game.

Lol, you're awesome Yuna.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ok, thought you were criticizing and you knew something I didn't. But no, I don't know of any term for that specific guessing game.
I thought "Yomi" referred specifically to it. Apparently I was wrong. I'll ask my other Competitive fighting game acquaintances (I know people in GG, MB, SF, T, VF, SC, DoA) if they know of any such terms.

Lol, you're awesome Yuna.
And this is news? I'm especially awesome when I, at SC tournaments walk up to Sophitias who use too little Death Fist and tell them "Needs more *does fist movement* 'Shaaa!'!"

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
I thought "Yomi" referred specifically to it. Apparently I was wrong. I'll ask my other Competitive fighting game acquaintances (I know people in GG, MB, SF, T, VF, SC, DoA) if they know of any such terms.
i think ou're both actually right. I have heard from several communities in which yomi referring to mixups of high, low, overhead attacks.
I have also heard of it being used as a general term for reading the opponent.
And this is news? I'm especially awesome when I, at SC tournaments walk up to Sophitias who use too little Death Fist and tell them "Needs more *does fist movement* 'Shaaa!'!"
Videos. Now.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
The laptop I am using apparently memorizes how many times i copy something.
So if I copy yuna's quote twice and then paste it twice, it goes to the last thing I copied.
Sometimes. I am not sure how it works really.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
O.o i think i need to re read this. how can we apply these options more quickly/efficiently

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
Good. Someone needs to start making some situational analyses based on this template.

RDK

Smash Hero
Why the hell is my name not in the credits? It was our argument over how stupid the Sonic mains' arguing skills are that sparked the Quantifiability of Mindgames Debate.

JK, love you Shadowlink.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Why the hell is my name not in the credits? It was our argument over how stupid the Sonic mains' arguing skills are that sparked the Quantifiability of Mindgames Debate.

JK, love you Shadowlink.
That post was actually a regurgitation of previous statements as most sonic mains will attest to, as well as Falcon mains that drop by their match-up discussion thread.

But I'll add you, since it technically spawned the thread.

Good. Someone needs to start making some situational analyses based on this template.
Some people already do, I already know that Sonic mains do as well, and you can be pretty sure I've been using it for a while, but now that it's in a reference form it's use will be more widespread.

Now I need to go to Netherlands SC tournaments and use too little death fist...

Question, which Soul Calibur game do you play, 4?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Now I need to go to Netherlands SC tournaments and use too little death fist...
Why? There's absolutely no reason why I would attend Dutch SC tourneys.

Question, which Soul Calibur game do you play, 4?
I prefer III, but I have "switched" over to 4 (I barely play it nowadays) because of the fact that practically no one plays III anymore.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I can't wait to meet you at Smash Attack.

No homo

:059:

Titanium Dragon

Smash Journeyman
Moves which are so fast that it is difficult to respond to them are good for causing guessing games.

Moves which look visually similar until it is too late to respond differently, are ideal moves for forcing your opponent to guess.

Moves which have varied effects are better than moves which have similar effects; moves which require different responses are superior to those which don't.

Thus an incoming attacker with the option to airdodge, attack, or grab pretty much instantly would be very difficult to predict and require a lot of yomi and guessing games, whereas a character with only one of those options, or with those options but slower versions, wouldn't be as good for it.

The effectiveness of a move affects the frequency of its use, but so does the ease of response as well as the uniqueness of response. Shielding works well against attacks, but poorly against grabs; spotdodging works well against attacks and grabs, but is likely to be punished by an airdodge whereas the shielding character could grab them once they landed. If an attack or grab is much better than landing and then attacking, then spotdodging is going to be favored heavily as a response, but if landing then attacking is the way to go, then shieldgrabbing is probably the option of choice. Moves with more equal payoffs tend to require more prediction, as there's less favoring them innately.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I can't wait to meet you at Smash Attack.

No homo

:059:
Bring Soul Calibur (preferrably 3). and get a Sopihitia-player to play.

Though I must admit I've never gotten down on the floor and thrashed about to re-enact Xianghua's "Crybaby"/"Guei". Unfortunately enough, I learned its name before I started doing charades for fighting games.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Moves which are so fast that it is difficult to respond to them are good for causing guessing games.

Moves which look visually similar until it is too late to respond differently, are ideal moves for forcing your opponent to guess.

Moves which have varied effects are better than moves which have similar effects; moves which require different responses are superior to those which don't.

Thus an incoming attacker with the option to airdodge, attack, or grab pretty much instantly would be very difficult to predict and require a lot of yomi and guessing games, whereas a character with only one of those options, or with those options but slower versions, wouldn't be as good for it.

The effectiveness of a move affects the frequency of its use, but so does the ease of response as well as the uniqueness of response. Shielding works well against attacks, but poorly against grabs; spotdodging works well against attacks and grabs, but is likely to be punished by an airdodge whereas the shielding character could grab them once they landed. If an attack or grab is much better than landing and then attacking, then spotdodging is going to be favored heavily as a response, but if landing then attacking is the way to go, then shieldgrabbing is probably the option of choice. Moves with more equal payoffs tend to require more prediction, as there's less favoring them innately.

Ok, so your first two points would fall into the "margin of error", they both require more precise prediction with fewer preceding clues.

The "requires different responses" was actually the entire point of the first category, raw chance, which sort of spawned this entire thread. Yes the more options that you have that have unique counters, the better you do in the "raw chance" category.

The "ease of response" point was covered under "margin of error". As for uniqueness of response, what are you refering to? If an option is the only option to beat one option and another option (and nothing else) is beaten by two options, under the weighing that one option should appear as often as the two other options combined, assuming same margin of error.

So yes, you're correct, but I made the system general enough that it already covers your points, thanks for the commentary though. I avoided explicitly stating options so it could cover any option and pay-off in the game, actually, it could probably apply to street fighter if the "KO" section is removed, since it's just damage, though it could apply in it's present form to games with ring-outs, albeit the categories weighed differently.

The weighing section for the raw chance is probably the most in need of examining however, because it's just an attempt to figure out what the optimal move spread would be.

Why? There's absolutely no reason why I would attend Dutch SC tourneys.

Wow, that was a complete brain fart, excuse me, Swedish tournaments, because you live in Sweden, not the Netherlands.

I prefer III, but I have "switched" over to 4 (I barely play it nowadays) because of the fact that practically no one plays III anymore.
May I ask why? I heard a lot of dissatisfaction with 3 as a competitive game, and while I haven't had a chance to play 4 yet, it looks really good for competitive gaming (once I get a ps3 or an x-box 360 it's gonna probably be one of my first purchases) based on tech specs and community reviews.

Aww I love you too. <3
Besides I think it was Tenki that first mentioned it.
Actually not really. I brought this up probably first in match-up discussions. I'm not sure whether it was about Ganondorf or Marth, but I'm almost positive that's where I brought this up first.

The first time I brought it up to you guys was a regurgitation of something I stated beforehand.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
May I ask why? I heard a lot of dissatisfaction with 3 as a competitive game, and while I haven't had a chance to play 4 yet, it looks really good for competitive gaming (once I get a ps3 or an x-box 360 it's gonna probably be one of my first purchases) based on tech specs and community reviews.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd8rWl9fQWY

This is why the game is no longer played.
now before Yuna chomps my head off, the reason is because by the time the Arcade version came out, and the glitches (variable cancel being among them) were corrected, the competitive community had already moved on.

Otherwise, with the corrections that were made later on, it is a good game.

Actually not really. I brought this up probably first in match-up discussions. I'm not sure whether it was about Ganondorf or Marth, but I'm almost positive that's where I brought this up first.

The first time I brought it up to you guys was a regurgitation of something I stated beforehand.
I am not sure, I know for myself I got the idea off of Captain Falcon's matchups in melee where his mindgame potential did have some factor in his matchups. or at least from what i heard.

IrArby

Smash Ace
Bump cuz this thread is way more informative and helpful than threads like "What's the purpose of roll dodge" or " Your Favorite Music: 2 Brawl !!"

Are we going to start ranking characters based on this new standard now? I'm not saying go and do it right now or anything, since that'll take a sh*t ton of time, I'm just wondering if that was the intended next step.

EDIT: ShadowLink84 very nice Sig man!

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Because the fighting game makers of the world seem to have it in for me.

My favorite games in certain fighting game series:
Super Smash Bros. Melee - Gamecube - Peach (High Tier)
Soul Calibur III - Playstation 2 - Xianghua
Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen 4 - Gamecube - Itachi

Let's take a look at their direct sequels:
SSBB, SCIV, Naruto:GNT:EX

What do all 3 have in common? God**** more lag on every single move, virtually everything is unsafe or at least minus enough frames to stop any kind of effective pressure or safe guessing game, nerfed combos, all of my mains (every single one of them in those three games) went from Top or High to Mid or Low (I did not choose Peach or Xianghua because of their tier placements, I merely chose them because I liked their styles) and rendered pretty unplayable, game engine being extremely campy because of the new physics, broken Top Tiers.

SCIII had its flaws, but SCIV is just... Voldo (tech crouches everything and other BS), Hilde ("Haa!"), Sophitia ("Shaa!") or Kilik (big stick!).

Top Bottom