• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachus crazy glide toss

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Well Anther says several people already know about this, but I couldnt find a thread on it so I thought I'd post it.

Pika sort of has 2 glide tosses. One of them is the normal medium-short range one thats been listed and stuff in that glide toss thread in brawl tactics. The other one is an extra length one that it seems like most people dont know about. The normal glide toss is done the way you usually do a glide toss, throw the item at the latest moment you can before you do a full roll for max distance.

The other one is a rare type that sends you a pretty far distance. To do this you have to toss almost as soon as you start rolling. The timing is a bit tight, but its manageable once you figure it out. Its kind of like doing a smash attack vs a tilt, maybe a little tighter. Try doing it at 1/4 speed in training mode. So far this characteristic is something Ive only seen from pika, although the only other character ive tried it with is diddy.

So yeah, the nice thing about it is that the timing for the long toss and the short-toss are completely different, so its easy to not mix them up and to use whichever depending on the situation.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Yeah his farthest glide toss can push Pikachu from the edge of FD to almost the middle. o_O
Know about this in case you have to fight Diddys or ROBs.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
this weird double glide toss applies to nearly every character. ive seen it with rob, pit, lucario, and many others. also the timing is the same for all afaik. diddy just has a very good regular glide toss. but yeah pikas glide toss is sex if you time it right. oh yeah ikes is like more then have of fd lol

K 2

Smash Lord
This reminds me of G&W's glidetoss, which is so broken when its combo'd into his tipper dsmash.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Ok, so I tested this at 1/4 speed again. I suspected it before but Im pretty certain that its true now, Pikachus glide toss sweet spot is done at the initial frame of the roll. I've tested this with other characters so far and havent found any so far to have an initial frame sweet spot.

Normal Glide toss
(shortest) (normal) (long) (longer) (longest)

Pikachus
(sweetspot)(shortest)(normal)(long)(second longest)

It could be the case that other characters have some weird arrangment that Im unaware of like
(shortest) (normal) (sweetspot) (long) (second longest)
or maybe the timings tougher for them? Idk, if they do happen to have one pikachus is incredibly easier to do by comparison.

Having the initial frame sweet spot is pretty cool for a few reasons. One it makes it relatively easy to do (not much harder then an IC chainthrow). Secondly, it completely seperates pikachus longest and second longest glide toss. Although the more i test it the more I realize pikachus second longest glide toss is very poor in comparison.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Im still not 100% sure if its true or about the other characters, so it'd be nice if others could confirm.

KuroKitt10

Smash Journeyman
Very nice find! Yet another thing I think should be added to the techniques thread under the " Not Pikachu-Specific" section.

Also, why is that thread NOT stickied? It really should be.

Mew.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Very nice find! Yet another thing I think should be added to the techniques thread under the " Not Pikachu-Specific" section.

Also, why is that thread NOT stickied? It really should be.

Mew.
Ehhh, 95% of the tricks on that list are super-situational. Even if you mastered all of them, I don't think you'd be using them very frequently.

It's a really fun, great thread (can't wait 'til we reach 100!), but it's not sticky material.

So what exactly are the advantages to having this longer or quicker glide toss exactly?
Hmm, one character I can see it being useful against is Diddy. When you're fighting him, you generally want to stay in the air and/or in his face so he can't pull/use naners effectively.... so if you're pretty far away from him, you can glide toss into close range and keep the pressure on him.

It'll break his momentum, and a lack of momentum really hurts Diddy.

Mind you, I've never tried glide tossing, but from what I've seen that's how I would try to use it.

V1RU5

Smash Rookie
nice, I was wondering about this. Thanks for the post. Good Shiz Tag

Zylar

Smash Ace
Hmm, one character I can see it being useful against is Diddy. When you're fighting him, you generally want to stay in the air and/or in his face so he can't pull/use naners effectively.... so if you're pretty far away from him, you can glide toss into close range and keep the pressure on him.

It'll break his momentum, and a lack of momentum really hurts Diddy.

Mind you, I've never tried glide tossing, but from what I've seen that's how I would try to use it.
Hmmm, I see. I've never had a chance to try it either. But I see where you're going. Perhaps the same logic could apply to Zamus, at least in the beginning of the game. And that darn camping ROB wouldn't be as annoying. ^^'

Aside from that, the friendly FFAs with all items on are going to be more interesting...

Top Bottom