• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokemon Trainer's Weaknesses and Resistances

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Hey, Mr. Escalator here.
One thing I have looked for and haven't found is an in depth thread, or post, on a big part of Pokemon Trainer's character; His systems of Weaknesses and Resistances. Weaknesses and Resistances affect PT's matchups with other characters, and how you go about fighting another PT, so I thought it would be good to highlight the attacks that are recognized as a certain element by the game to better inform the PT community. If anything, this thread makes a decent reference.

ColinJF's thread on brawl Mechanics said:
5.4 Additional Multipliers for Knockback

We found a few things that cause simple multiplications of the final knockback value. A move being “super effective” is a multiplier of 1.1, and a move being “not very effective” is a multiplier of 0.9. Obviously, this only affects the Pokemon Trainer
Squirtle is weak to Grass Attacks and resists Fire Attacks
Ivysaur is weak to Fire Attacks and resists Water Attacks
Charizard is weak to Water Attacks and resists Grass Attacks

Water Based Attacks
:mario2:
Mario:
• F.L.U.D.D.
:squirtle:
Squirtle:
• Usmash
• Dsmash
• Water Gun (Uncharged and charged)
• Waterfall

Grass Based Attacks
:ivysaur:
Ivysaur:
• Ftilt
• Dtilt
• Usmash
• Dsmash
• Fair
• Bair
• Uair
• Dair
• Bullet Seed (First hit and seeds)
• Razor Leaf
• Vine Whip

Fire Based Attacks
:bowser2:
Bowser:
• Fire Breath
:falcon:
Captain Falcon:
• Fsmash
• Falcon Punch
• Raptor Boost
• Falcon Kick
:charizard:
Charizard:
• Ftilt
• Nair
• Fair
• Bair
• Flamethrower
• Dthrow

:dedede:
Dedede:
• Jet Hammer (Fully charged)
• Explosive Capsule Toss
:diddy:
Diddy Kong:
• Rocket Barrel Blast
:fox:+:falco:
Fox + Falco:
• Fire Fox/Falco
:gw:
Game and Watch:
• Fsmash
•Chef
•Judgement Hammer (#6)
:ganondorf:
Ganondorf:
• Utilt
:ike:
Ike:
• Eruption
:link2:+:toonlink:
Link + Toon Link:
• Bombs
:ness2:+:lucas:
Ness + Lucas:
• PK Fire
:luigi2:
Luigi:
• Fireball
• Green Missile (Misfire)
• Dragon Uppercut
:mario2:
Mario:
• Fsmash
• Fireball
:olimar:
Olimar:
All with red Pikmin
• Fsmash
• Usmash
• Dsmash
• Fair
• Bair
• Uair
• Dair
• Pikmin Toss?
• Pikmin Rope
• Fthrow
• Bthrow
• Uthrow
:peach:
Peach:
• Bob-omb
:rob:
ROB:
• Usmash
• Nair
• Bair
• Dair
• Laser (Point blank)
:samus2:
Samus:
• Dtilt
• Usmash
• Fair
• Homing Missiles
• Super Missiles
• Power Bomb
:shiek:
Shiek:
• Vanish
:snake:
Snake:
• Fsmash
• Usmash
• Dsmash
• Grenades
• C4
• Nikita
:zelda:
Zelda:
• Uair
• Dins Fire
• Farore's Wind
:zerosuitsamus:
ZSS:
• SideB

And that's the list. It took a long time to work things out, so I hope you guys appreciate it. If you would like to verify this list for yourself, this is how I did it: I started by filling out the data for this applet. Once the g b c was worked out, I would enter the data into this different applet, also by ColinJF. I would use it to predict the knockback on the pokemon weak to it; if it was greater by a decent margin in the results screen than predicted in the applet, it was obviously Super Effective. If it was around where it should be, it was Normal Effective.

Big thanks goes out to ColinJF, who's thread I used as a reference and starting point, and who developed the applets who made this boring work possible, as well as working out the Fixed Knockback of a couple moves by himself. Thanks a ton, man.

If you have any questions, I'll be here all week!

---
Dynamics: Velocity, Forces, and Knockback
Brawl Mechanics: Damage & Knockback Formulae
Launch Force constant calculator
Calculate launch force

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Ivysaur loses out, losing to 24 people and resistant to only two. Squirtle wins out, resistant to 24 and weak to 1.

jog

Smash Journeyman
haha me and my friend would joke about PT being weak to moves that are "super effective" (i.e. lucas' pk fire since that's who he mains) but i didn't realize it was actually true:lick: great find!

EDIT!

is squirtle not weak to pikachu's attacks?

his moves are electric and squirtle is water :bee:

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I haven't tested, but I'm fairly certain Squirtle isn't "weak" to electric attacks. I can do a quick test when I get the time, just to be sure.

The one other thing that I hadn't tested was if the IC climber's attacks were considered water based, but my gut feeling is that they aren't. Can test that as well.

Thanks guys :D

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i don't think squirtle is weak to electric. just like ivysaur doesn't resist it and charizard isn't weak to it either.

MrEsc does boring things for fun.

but thanks for this.

_clinton

Smash Master
Fire attacks
Ness=Dthrow
Mario=Fsmash
Falcon=Fsmash

Grass Attacks
Jiggs=Rest?

Also...what would Peach's Peach Bomber and Utilt be?
The same for Ganondorf's "Dark" moves?

And this list doesn't mean having a res. or weakpoint is bad it just depends on the characters move...for example...PK Fire (Ness) is harder for Squirtle to get out of then it is for Ivysaur...the same with the Dthrow...

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Fire attacks
Ness=Dthrow
Mario=Fsmash
Falcon=Fsmash
First off, Ness' Dthrow has NO fire properties whatsoever. It doesn't light a hothead/explode an exploding crate, doesn't send them in the burn animation, etc.

Second, Mario's Fsmash actually should be on there, but I accidently left it off. It's in my notepad, thanks for the catch!

Finally, ugh. Falcon's Fsmash IS fire based, but it wasn't on the initial list of moves to test (me and Thunderhorse+ tested for burn animations, he had the right side of the roster). Thanks a lot for the catch.

Grass Attacks
Jiggs=Rest?

Uh, I wouldn't know! Olimar's White Pikmin have the same Ganondorf animation, but they are considered of the "poison" element. *Shrug*, it's not really related to this project :p
And this list doesn't mean having a res. or weakpoint is bad it just depends on the characters move...for example...PK Fire (Ness) is harder for Squirtle to get out of then it is for Ivysaur...the same with the Dthrow...
Which isn't actually true. There are many factors involved with how apt a character is able to get out a multihit move. I never said a weakness was always a bad thing though; I can speculate that Squirtle uses the first hit of Bullet Seed rather well to avoid the rest of the attack.

*edit*A friend caught another move left out. I didn't include Snake's C4, but I have that as well.

jog

Smash Journeyman
Fire attacks
Ness=Dthrow
Mario=Fsmash
Falcon=Fsmash

Grass Attacks
Jiggs=Rest?

Rest es psychic type mayne

lurn ur pogeymanz plox :p

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
Its a shame that fruits dont count as a grass attack since they do grow mostly on trees. Like turnips and bananas for instance.

Magik0722

Smash Champion
I always hated thet added thsi is.
Squirtle gets resistance to fire but it doesnt realy matter since hes so light anyway
Ivysuar gets a huge weakness and already has trouble recovering
charizard only gains a reistance that doesnt really matter and a weakness that also doesnt amtter

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Yeah it is, and I have it, even. That's it, I'm going over the attacks to make sure I didnt leave anything off of my notepad.

My notepad said:
Mario: Fireball, Fsmash
Luigi: Fireball, UpB, SideB
Peach: Bob-Omb
Bowser: Firebreath
etc..

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
sucks to be Ivysaur... lol

Electric attacks should have been added :( Then there would be **** from Ganon's dair lool

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
what annoys me is that lucario doesn't get ***** by fire attacks, pikachu isn't super weak to charizard dsmash, and jiggly doesn't get ***** by rock smash (well she does, but even moreso).

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
I heard you were making the list, great job!

We have to keep in mind that having high knockback from flamethrower is a good thing, squirtle will have trouble getting stuck in it.

Phiddlesticks

Smash Lord
I'm afraid you forgot a few key fire moves, Mr. Escalator, including:
-Giga Bowser's Firebreath
-Giga Bowser's Fsmash
-Giga Bowser's Fthrow
-Mario's Final Smash
-Yoshi's Fireballs during his Final Smash
-Diddy's Final Smash
-Ike's Final Smash
-Kirby's Final Smash
-Landmaster lasers

There are probably more things like items that you forgot ^_^

_clinton

Smash Master
what annoys me is that lucario doesn't get ***** by fire attacks, pikachu isn't super weak to charizard dsmash, and jiggly doesn't get ***** by rock smash (well she does, but even moreso).
What annoys me is that Ness and Lucas' aren't canon in this game (really...everyone knows they are the best as far as powers go canon wise)

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Do you know of the percentage it increases and decreases it by? And if it's a constant percentage or if it differs from each attack? I tested a few and it seems to be 20% but I tested only a small amount.

Rkey

Smash Journeyman
oh man, you're right!
I also forgot Norfair, Brinstar, 75m, fireflowers, etc :[

Ill get right on it!
The claptrap on japes...? I hope that's the name of the level... And the fish on... Icicle mountain? Anyway, those could be water-based.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
What annoys me is that Ness and Lucas' aren't canon in this game (really...everyone knows they are the best as far as powers go canon wise)
Steeler's (and my) problem with it is that Sakurai made it so that PT's Pokemon are (at least somewhat) canon to the weaknesses and resistances, yet none of the other Pokemon are. Ness and Lucas both aren't canon, so at least they're equal.

Also, I added this to the Thread Index.

_clinton

Smash Master
BTW Ness' Dthrow is Fire Based...I tested it on a blast crate and it did blow up...

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
I am pretty sure Lucario would take a big hit from a weakness to Fire.Snake,GW,and others would have an advantage.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Anyone would take a big hit from a fire weakness.
Also, I was wrong that Ness' Dthrow had no fire properties (it doesnt do anything to a hothead unless the hothead is already big, which is where I got the notion), but it still is NOT super effective, as it doesnt send the opponent in the "Burn" animation, which is the only real criteria. Falcon's upB creates a fire explosion that triggers blast boxes, but it isn't super effective because it doesnt have the burn animation.

also to Hilt, the first post has a quote from ColinJF's thread that pretty much tells what happens. Dunno if you missed that.

and thanks to Retro!

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Shouldn't Squirtle's NAir be considered Water based? It's not as much water as D/USmash, but there is water in that attack.

And yeah, if there were going to be so many fire-based attacks and so few water/grass based attacks, Sakurai should have either buffed Ivysaur further or just dropped this idea; Probably the latter, 'cause nobody would have cared if it wasn't in the game. I know Smash should have lots of attention to detail, but that includes balance, which Sakurai clearly isn't good at foreseeing.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
It isn't. I checked that specifically.
:<

He could of at least made it so that explosives weren't considered fire based, but ah well. Poor Ivy.

Top Bottom