• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trying to get my PhD [New Vids Up]

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
Doc v Marth
New Vid 1 DL

Match 1: YS

Doc v Fox
New Vid 1 Fod
New Vid 2 YS

Match 1: FD [I make alot of mistakes in this one, some chaingrab messups, missed uthrow to fair, etc]
Match 2: YS [I make alot of mistakes in this match as well, too many missed edgeguards]
Match 3: YS [same as above]

Please critique my doc and be unnecessarily harsh, I like it that way. [srsly]
Btw kyu doesn't main either of these characters.

more to come

Roman.

Smash Champion
honestly, you shouldn't be attacking marth unless you just shielded an attack for most situations

don't even try to have a pill game against marth on a small stage

honestly, you have a terrible habit of randomly spamming dsmashes all the time... stop

you're trying to overpower marth rather than punishing/baiting him

you gotta learn marth's range, it's like one of the hardest matchups to learn but if you learn marth's range on all of his moves and in all of his options it'll be a million times easier

start grabbing more... grabbing and edgeguarding are what make doc good

for edgeguarding marth i just drop with a bair, im sure you saw in my vid... honestly it's the best option unless you can learn the timing and spacing to cape marth's upb

yeah there are so many times when you could get a jab -> follow up, doc's jab game is very good so start applying that

you also need to learn to be a safer camper lol marth is very scary when you're on the edge and he's waiting for you but you have to learn to use doc's awesome edgegame to put him into a disadvantage

i like your DI a lot, very similar to mine

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
quit doing those dinky little no-hit chaingrabs, god I hate it when docs do that. No offense especially to you, because EVERY DOC DOES THEM, but they do like no damage and everyone ALWAYS ends up missing one. At 1:55 in fox game 1, you do five empty upthrows for 29 damage, then miss the 6th grab. At about 0:20 in fox game 2, you do grab+hit, up throw, upsmash, upair for 36 damage -- 44 if you count the bair after his missed tech, which is legit because in all likelihood, he tried to tech on the platform and your uair messed him up. Seriously, whenever you grab someone, hit them once or twice, because this reminds them "Hey, I need to DI!". Then you do an upsmash or fsmash or fair for the same damage as like 4 regrabs. Or you can regrab too if you really want to, just make sure you hit them during the grab. Otherwise they might not DI. That fair you missed on FD would have been easy **** if the fox DI'ed.

Also you tech in place nearly every single time you land on the floor (strangely, you techrolled much more often on platforms). Work on adding variety to that now before someone picks up on it and punishes you, because Kyu's method of techchasing was standing in place and hoping you tech towards him.

learn bbcode, i had to copy paste the urls because you messed up every single one (this was fixed in the time it took me to finish watching but my point stands)

get better quality videos, i would rather ram a sharpened pencil into my ear than listen to another one of your tinny aural miscarriages

youre ugly

die

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
you outta come down here were people actually break out of grabs.
if youre afraid of someone breaking a throw, just cstick buffer an empty dthrow at into dsmash at low percent. mid% cstick an empty uthrow into usmash. these will hit for 20-25%, and are staggeringly more reliable than trying to get 5+ empty uthrows for the same damage. at higher percents they are not going to break out after 1 hit, which is all you want. either this gives them time to think about DI (right into your guaranteed fair/wave-fsmash finisher), or they still wont DI but it adds free damage. there is literally no reason to do an empty uthrow past like 50%

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
back to me and my doc, and being really harsh [get angry]. 18 spikes had the right idea, [ty btw]

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
ya, hold cstick in the direction you want to throw as the grab is starting, and you'll throw on the first possible frame

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
good, i hate you. post some more vids so i can ridicule you more before you get run out of here for being so terrible
makes me feel sooooo gooooood.

anyways ill see about getting more vids this weekend. Iono i'm kind of giving up on recording/doc.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
New vids vs fox and marth up, and more to come.
Critique please even tho I suck and play so slow.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
lol you play slower than i did in smym9 pools (that's really slow btw). i like your tilts and dsmashes. thats pretty much it. i cant really give you any critique because you are clearly better than your friends :( they get combod and edgeguarded waaay too frequently by stuff that should only work when you catch someone off guard (not when in slow-mo mode like you). you shouldnt be 2 stocking a marth after suiciding at 43%. :urg:

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
watch the fox one theyre better, im not better than that fox. =[

and like I know how to move faster, I just get scared that I'll get ***** for it [random fsmashes,grabs], I like playing safer. But then I throw in random nairs that get punished all the time so iono.

but i think imma try to play faster.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
haha yea I'm just giving you guff. I played in ultra slo-mo mode at SMYM9, and it worked really well. I only lost 1 set, and I lost game 3 of that set by walking off of Yoshi's Story and fairing to my death. I literally just walked off. The opponent wasn't even nearby, he was on the other side of the stage. I seriously don't remember why I did that. BUT I won every other slo-mo game I played, and it was pretty hilarious. Where am I going with this? anyways, it's easy to confuse being faster with being aggressive. Moving around a lot gives you more approach opportunities, it's just up to you to decide which opportunity is the best. god this post is vague and it sucks but I'm at school and don't have time to retype it and I don't want to have wasted the last 3 minutes. *clicks Post Quick Reply*

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
kyu puff did pretty good at yesterday's MM.

this thread needs more critique

pine beat me in tourney yesterday....

with mario, so does that mean he's banned from the doc boards.

SpruceTengu

Smash Journeyman
Aight Macman. Here's my critique/advice/comments. =D

So as for the you being slow thing, I'm only kind of in agreement. Your doc seems a tad sluggish at times, absolutely, but that doesn't necessarily mean you should start rushing to make up for it. What i've seen in the videos (watching the three kyu puff ones) so far is that your lack of "speed" isn't really in your tech, but in the way it looks like you're thinking. Granted, i'm not the fastest doc in the world, but my feeling on the subject of speed is similar to yours, that it's great when it can actually do you some good, and when you don't need to be super fast, you shouldn't be.

Thats all well and good, but what I think people are critiquing you on in terms of speed is that you're slow at times when it's kind of inappropriate to be slow, like you're getting nervous or choking up. It's fine to be slow when you're chillin and in control of the speed and tempo of the match, but if you're not you should be on the move... however safely. I saw a couple wierdly placed fulljumps and stops out of dash that just kind of ended in a wierd, awkward delay. This happens to me once and a while too, and it's usually when i'm getting mad nervous or trying ot be uberfast.

My point is, then, that if you want to get faster, more power to you, but don't concentrate on getting faster fingers or moving the doc faster, concentrate on slowing the match down for yourself so you can keep you cool, know what's going on, and be able ot react accordingly. This might be a stretch, but a big thing alot of my teachers always say in the martial arts is that the speed of a great fighter is most often just an illusion created by his timing. Control the timing, control the tempo of the match, and it'll look like you're mad fast because everything is hitting just when you want it to. Especially against someone who outspeeds the f*cK out of you like a fox, this is a major thing to get a handle for.

In short, CONTROL. How does doc control? In my experience, jab, pills, chaingrabs, etc. Depending on the character, of course. Against a nasty fox I would hav eliked to see more spaced dsmashes and the like, which always end in epic gimpage.

So, yeah. It just seems like you're not always clear on what's the most appropriate thing to do with doc at what time, so you're kind of doing random stuff like some SH capes and the lot. Granted, SH cape--->waveland is freakin' cool, A) be sure you can pull it off, and B) do it when it will actually do something for you.

That being said, your tech is on, so really I think you just need to get to know the doc better. As far as I know oyu're not a doc main, right? So it's understandable that you two need to get a bit more..

intimate..

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
lol yedi
the ArcNatural match was kind of crumby. He just walked around you for about half the match, while you sat in your shield. That's the line between mindgames and asking to get hit. I saw about 5, maybe 6 ocasions where you had a free F-air, and you just didn't go for it. You need to contemplate your options quickly, and be able to take action
also try to keep in motion more. You have huge openings where you just don't move. Dash dancing, bair-wavedash, or approaching with Nair (you did that like twice) will help you with the whole speed thing. I'm no doc pro, but I still can see the flaws in your gameplay.
friendlys at MM15?

and yes I play doc now
Moar edits to avoid infractions:
you should bring a recording thing to MM15, I need to get some footage down
and kyu go to GU night tomorrow

Top Bottom