• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi Grab Release Almost Chains

Player01

Smash Journeyman
Today i was in training mode and was testing out how luigi's grab release would work since other characters have grab release combos. The only thing is this isnt really a grab release combo but more like grab release chain grabbing. i KNOW this is not 100% effective but it seems to work well, kinda like a mindgame. i might do further testing because it really seemed like this would be inescapable for some characters but im not sure yet.

anyways what this is is basically grab releasing, followed by jabbing, and then regrabbing. btw i also am aware that other people have been doing this but i wasnt sure if the luigi's were or not.

i really wish i could supply vids but i lack the necassary equipment but i hope you practice this seeing how the luigi board is going through a depression or some **** like that and luigi's metagame has been on a standstill.

now to get a little more detailed i wanted to mention how this would properly be done because grab release jab grab doesnt work quite that easily. after luigi has pummeled and released the opponent the first thing you want to do is jab. now theres a little twist because some characters slide farther than others so i did test to find out exactly who those characters are.

Characters you can jab without moving:

Mario
Link
Samus
Kirby
Game n Watch
Sheik
Falco
Ivysaur
Charizard
Snake
Peach
Ganondorf
Wolf
Lucario
Bowser
Wario
Toon Link
Rob
Olimar
Jiggly

With these characters you can grab release, jab, and stutter step a grab.

Now some characters slide a tiny bit farther and this will require a grab release, stutter step jab, stutter step grab. Those characters are:

Characters you can jab with stutter step

Fox
Marth
Diddy
Zelda
Metaknight
DDD
Ness
Sonic
Donkey Kong

And finally the characters that would require a brain dead opponent to pull this off. the reason i say this is because these characters slide even farther but i guess could still be affected by this method. Those characters include:

Characters that require a few steps to jab:

Pikachu
Pit
Squirtle
Ike
Yoshi
Captain Falcon
Lucas

there is actually one more group of characters that this will NEVER work on and they are:

Characters that are never affected:

Luigi himself
IC(works if nana is dead but otherwise no)

just a quick recap. this "grab release chain" requires you to grab release, jab, and (no matter what character) stutter step regrab. the stutter step with the grab is required to pull this off. from what i see it is not 100% effective but is a good mindgame seeing how your opponent will likely fall into it.

so yeah thats pretty much it. i hoped you guys will consider using this and it works well but if not then it was worth a try right. :)

PolMex23

Smash Champion
ive been doing this for a while but ty for bringing it up...

Only thing you have to do is read or react really fast to DI...

Than you have easy grab combo with some mixing allowing you to 0 death or mid 50+ combos every time xD

Magnumblade

Smash Journeyman
This sounds interesting, Luigi CG! xD
Actually I wouldn't consider it a good chain grab, seeing as how he will only do 2-3 dmg per grab + grab attacks (i consider a CG several grabs and throws that lead into each other and are hard for the opponent too escape from, causing alot of dmg before escape) but i think this might dosome good for luigi's *i would say below average* grab game, seeing as his best throw tactics are b-throw kill, or d-throw into aerial or air dodge chase. but this might be a good set-up maneuver, but more flexible seeing as how his jab can lead to about any of his attacks.

I need to try this out, not training though because comps dont di right

Magnumblade

Smash Journeyman
i think lvl 3 cpu's DI isn't exactly bad...
well usuallly when i mess around with lvl 3 cpu's in training, they di oddly and very predictably, or sometimes just randomly stop while falling and die

ex. i knock a lvl 3 cpu onto a ledge, it jumps up straight, lands on ledge again, does this like 10 times and either gets back on or keeps going at which point i have to hit the cpu out.

Player01

Smash Journeyman
So you ground release, jab just once (?) and then regrab via stutterstep?
yes but some characters slide further so sometimes a stutterstep jab is needed to reach them followed by the stuuterstep grab.

So this would be a good combo, a tornado, into a pivot grab release, jab, UpB... Huh?
not exactly mainly because the opponent isnt really up in your face to connect with an upb. you are hitting them with the farthest extent of luigi's arm. pretty much the up b wouldnt sweetspot unless you dash up b or something.

just remember this is more like a mix up cuz it is escapable.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
Oh, I see, not a combo starter though. I guess its good if you are having trouble at such close range, a grab release helps.

Top Bottom