• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

G&W Stage Discussion #18: PS 1

K 2

Smash Lord
We need to discuss all the transformations, so be sure to stage which transformation you are talking about.

Some more pics:

Fire

Water

Earth/Rock

Grass

Rating:

Character counterpicks:

Please be SPECIFIC about which transformation you are discussing.

animeblitzballa33

Smash Ace
All transformations, if you are not careful when recovering from below the stage you will get caught under it and fall to your death. It can be tricky since GaW up b kind of tilts on its own, but just get to know the spacing with up b in regards to the edge. Learn to aim away from it but still able to grab on.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
It's a super gay stage in this game.

The grass transformation has nicely spaced platforms.

Get to either the middle or left side ASAP and camp there on Rock transformation.

Camp on the left side of fire. D-tilt lock there is great if you can get it off.

Dunno what else to say really. It's probably not a bad stage for G&W. It's just really REALLY tiring to play on.

Neb

Smash Lord
Awesome camping and planking map, seize the left region for better territorial protection.

7/10

Old G&WBR Quote said:
Fire Type
You can infinite inside the branches of the tree (best against the left side); works with both dtilt and greenhouse. G&W can really hide in that little nook, combining SH aerials and crouching when under vertical attack, your grab games pretty fierce inside that tight space, dthrow will almost always lead into a lock.

G&W's bair reaches through the trunk if you want to attack from in, or outside. Nairs good too, especially under the houses platform.

Water Type
Good at playing 'keep away', especially against MK. G&W can play around the waterwheel with his aerials, while using the walls as a barricade against most offenses, attacking from any angle you prefer. Works fair against MK because his attacks are centered around close range. You can also abuse the wheels rotation to slide your usmash, or fsmash for surprise attacks.

Nair, bair, and uair work nicely under the wing platforms yet again, while dair has its advantages from above.

Rock Type

Lock against against the cliff under the angled platforms. You can sneak in and out with your aerials with the said platforms, while also using them in conjunction with uair as obstacles. Makes it more difficult to punish, especially bair. The cliffhanger can be good to you, its higher and lower ground, attempting to change the position can get you into punishment. But if your foes trying to recovery, the rock advances your edgeguard by creating a one-way-approach return that's effortless to exploit.

Grass Type
Nothing to it, treat this transition like Battlefield.
I'd CP this against characters like Falco, Samus, Pit, Bowser, Wolf, Yoshi, MK, and maybe Marth or DDD.

Neb

Smash Lord
The ledges here are too gay. You can't really angle inside and curve along the lip, and into the sweetspot like BF or SV, you have to DI outward; they can be somewhat deceiving at times. But its not so much the ledge, but the camera angle that adjusts awkwardly when both players are occupying the same corner.

cutter

Smash Champion
I definately agree the ledges are really dumb. Like FD dumb.

I can see the stage having its merits though, especially with the uneven terrain and platforms for all the transformations. GW likes both of those a lot.

I'm using PS1 as a neutral at my upcoming tourney and I really like how the stage has a lot of variety to it yet there are no hazards at all.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I honestly don't understand why G&W should be having problems on PS1 edges (or FD edges for that manner). If you angle G&W correctly you will always sweetspot the ledge. ALWAYS.

Let's assume you are recovering from the left. Now draw an invisible vertical line straight down from the ledge you'll be grabbing on to. If you UpB from the left of this line, you will always sweetspot the ledge. If you UpB from the right of it, you will not grab the ledge, but shoot up past it. (This applies ALL stages). The only time you won't sweetspot the ledge is if you UpB too close to it. Then G&W's invincibility frames will prevent him from grabbing the ledge.

Sometimes the opponent will try to edge hog you, which if done correctly will prevent you from sweetspotting the ledge. Most of the time you will have enough vertical push to put you right up onto the stage, in a sitting position. But sometimes your reach isn't quite as far and you'll just slowly fall right down through the opponent as he's holding your ledge. If this ever happens, release your parachute immediately and spam the jump button. This will allow you to footstool the opponent who is edgehogging you. Yes that's right, G&W can footstool out of his UpB.

kingdom-triforce

Smash Journeyman

I can see the stage having its merits though, especially with the uneven terrain and platforms for all the transformations. GW likes both of those a lot.

I'm using PS1 as a neutral at my upcoming tourney and I really like how the stage has a lot of variety to it yet there are no hazards at all.
I agree. Terrain particularly with the earth field I guess.

ColinJF

Smash Ace
I actually like the ledges with Mr. Game & Watch because they allow you to ledge camp in different ways. Notably, you can attack opponents standing a fair distance into the stage in a moderately safe way from under the stage with a well spaced fish bowl, and easily make it back to the ledge. Some characters can attack you out this with angled tilts and such, but it won't happen if you're careful.

Nicole

Smash Champion
I think this is a good level for GW, none of the transformations hurt him, and most of them are beneficial, with lots of platforms. I like the Fire transformation the least, but that's probably just a personal preference.

On the rock transformation, you can chill on the far left side and Uair when your opponent tries to come down and get you, it's fun! (and obviously not 100% safe...)

I like and dislike the gay edges. You can really go nuts with Nair, and move under the stage to get them with it. Then again, you can really suicide easily after doing that, which is problematic to say the least. I'd honestly just focus on recovering here instead of edgecamping with Nair, I'm not very trusting of the ledges. But it can definitely be done.

One of GW's better neutrals after Halberd and maybe Battlefield.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I actually don't like this stage very much. I find it far too often it leaves me with few options but to key down on people which is unsafe, and other than the lovely water form, the platforms aren't really in good places for messing around on them. The windmill is pretty awesome though; you can duck under it spinning and can easily attack through it. If you can bring the fight next to it, it usually results in some free damage for you. I don't think the ledges are really that big of a deal either way. You get some extra fishbowls if they are risky around them, and if you play badly you die early. In the long run, I think it just doesn't matter much.

So yeah, my assessment is that the water form is good for Mr. Game & Watch while the other forms are just kinda mediocre. If you can get to a good position first on the rock and fire forms, you can camp easily though so it's not really bad or anything... I'd probably give it something like 5/10.

K 2

Smash Lord
Does any character do really well or really bad here?

Also, read my recent post on the stage discussion index. I need to know what stages we are going to discuss (we are almost finished!).

Nicole

Smash Champion
Probably a decent pick against projectile spammers. I probably wouldn't pick it against Snake though, with all the transformations, it's really easy to lose track of his mines/c4s. Marth might not do great here, I can imagine the ledges would really gay his recovery. I've never played a Marth here though...most people strike this level.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Does any character do really well or really bad here?
My ZSS friend loves this stage. Even uses it as a counterpick. I guess the platforms allow for better spacing especially with her sideB.

I guess Samus likes it as well, with her zair.

Also DDD can benefit well here but not against us.

Top Bottom