• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

----------

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
Mindgames with the title :chuckle: XD. GOOD STUFF Shiri. :yoshi:

Anyway, I am a very aggressive player, so aggro it seems like I completely lack defense (which I don't). I used to hate long matches as well, but now I don't mind. Generally, I always put pressure on my opponent, whether it is spamming spaced bairs or trying to bait them into a pivot, because that is what is fun to me. Unfortunately, you cannot do that against all the characters in this game (stoopid shield is too strong, shieldgrabbing and no shieldstun). I've played many D3s that just wait and shield the majority of the time just to shieldgrab. Since they want to play gay, I just spam eggs and draw them into my pivotgrabs. Against characters that Yoshi has the CG on, I usually wait till around 100% because CG is boring to me, plus my opponents would prolly be expecting a grab. The only character I chaingrab from the start is Squirtle because it's basically an auto-kill (LOL @ :squirtle:) and because all Charizards will spam stoopid Rock Smash, so it's like their punishment for it.

I only wish that I had some sort of recording device so you all (the Yoshi boards) can see my playstyle, analyze, discuss, examine, etc. to it.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
I noes I proboly grab the most cuz I be CGing everyone CBR is just too goodz grabs all day son

CBR[/too_goodz]

auroreon

Smash Ace
On larger, slower characters I play kinda campy and defensively with spacing and holding em back with ETS and Dtilts untill I can get in a pivot grab or punish something, I build a brickwall with bairs, eggs, pivot grabs and tilts.
When Im against a character I can CG, I WILL CG, and I will CG again, and again, and again... Im playing to win and it works. The great thing about the CG that others dont seem to realise is it goes beyond just the CG itself, if your against a char u can CG and ur abusing the CG then they will always be expecting you to try for the grab... so in a situation where they would expect a grab I sometimes go for something totally different and catch em off guard. Also, if your in the middle of a CG they are going to be expecting you to just continue the CG but doing something unexpected after the grab release really catches them off guard.
The other great thing about the CG is it infuriates the other player... and we all know, a frustrated player will make more mistakes and play sloppier.
I hope to get some vids up soon so I can share my Yoshi with everyone, but Im lacking a capture card so Ive gotta look into getting one. If anyone with a capture card could record some replays if I sent them I would be really grateful...

bigman40

Smash Master
Too long for me to write in a little time. I'll come back to this topic later, and don't forget about what I said Shiri! I'ma write that up on the matchup discussion in a little.

Dyz69

Smash Rookie
im generally Agressive and most my matches still end at about4-5 mins
the most i have take wa almost 6mins this was because i switch my gme to defensive aggaints
a Jigglypuff my aggresive style was not working and basicly was getting me owned so i switched
to my defensive play, and eventually got the victory
this has happen to other firghts i had like one time with marth this sudden switch on my style
confused the marth player as he did not expected me to ever go defensive and when he try
to brake my shiel i punished him back with my aggresive play

now a days i switch them up at the right times for uses of both mindgames and getting the victory
..at this point your asking *whats your defensive style then?* k it consist of
Spacing myself away, using Eggs, when ever i can pivot grab my enemy and egg him upon release
i may also use egg lay, and i use more Retrating Fairs and Bairs i also stop to try to spike people
and try to counter their recvoery, i used Egg Roll only when they are on the ground

if you wish to know whats my aggresive play just look at my videos xD
one last thing if having long matches doesnt tire you or Frustate you, then dont worry about it
as long as you win and do not get frustated this is the best strategy you can have keep it up
once you notice your not liking it, try thinking of changing it alright? ^_^

Airborne

Smash Lord
i.... can't really explain what i do in matches.... i just do what seems appropriate.... i think i just really wait for the opponent to come to me and i react..... idk, i'm really out of it.... sorry guys, but this week has felt just.... weird... i've just been zoning out, not being able to react as suddenly, making stupid mistakes, etc... and i don't even know what's wrong.....

but yeah, i'm probably going to completely change my playstyle for yoshi into something spontaneously unique, but for now, i just wait for my opponent to act and i react accordingly.... =\

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
I try to use alot of pivot mindgames. After pivoting you can jump, you can ETS, smash, tilts, jabs, grabs, or just run away. Try to be unpredictable. Know all of your options and use them according to the situation.

If your opponent shields all of your eggs, try canceling your pivot with an egg toss. That should surprise him. If he catches on, instead of throwing eggs after the pivot... grab him.

If you want to land more grabs in, here are some grab pivot mindgames that i use.

--R-->_____ <-P- ______ --RG-->

--R-->______<-P-______DD_____ <--RG--
(that's actually the only way to grab in the direction you are pivoting in. If you don't dash dance your grab won't come out.)

--R-->______ <-P-_______<--PG--

R= running
P= pivot
RG= running grab
DD= dash dance
PG= pivot grab

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Man, I have not once posted on the Yoshi boards, and this topic caught me.

Nice.

Also, as a GaW I hate your stupid pivot grab.

Frown

poekmon
I've noticed that when my opponent has just missed a smash with a lot of ending lag, I tend to grab instead of performing a smash, which deals more damage.

Still, I am VERY aggressive. I could probably win more matches if I kept some distance at times.

Metatitan

Smash Master
im generally Agressive and most my matches still end at about4-5 mins
the most i have take wa almost 6mins this was because i switch my gme to defensive aggaints
a Jigglypuff my aggresive style was not working and basicly was getting me owned so i switched
to my defensive play, and eventually got the victory
this has happen to other firghts i had like one time with marth this sudden switch on my style
confused the marth player as he did not expected me to ever go defensive and when he try
to brake my shiel i punished him back with my aggresive play

now a days i switch them up at the right times for uses of both mindgames and getting the victory
..at this point your asking *whats your defensive style then?* k it consist of
Spacing myself away, using Eggs, when ever i can pivot grab my enemy and egg him upon release
i may also use egg lay, and i use more Retrating Fairs and Bairs i also stop to try to spike people
and try to counter their recvoery, i used Egg Roll only when they are on the ground

if you wish to know whats my aggresive play just look at my videos xD
one last thing if having long matches doesnt tire you or Frustate you, then dont worry about it
as long as you win and do not get frustated this is the best strategy you can have keep it up
once you notice your not liking it, try thinking of changing it alright? ^_^
would that jigglypuff u had to play defensively against be me by any chance? ;o

Chaco

Never Logs In
Im definitely a grab ***** now. Haha. Shiri and me have been discussing things lately.

Dyz69

Smash Rookie
:yoshi: Wow.

Why...didn't I think of this before?

This is possibly the most amazing advice I've gotten in the past month and a half.

O_o? you really found that helpful? i was merely speaking my mind out
you see most people i know get tired mentally from fighting for long periods of time
this isnt a factor for you as it seems sine you have more patience and stamina
than others ,
your focusing more on your attacks and giving them time, so you dont go by the
Frustation of watching your approaches and strategies Fail right in front of you
so with the two biggest Factors of people losing their game not being present
on your current game style....is there really any need to change?

the biggest combination that mess up games are
Mentally Tired and Frustation = Bad Game play
Dissapointment and Depression = Slower Reactions
Slower reactions and Bad game play = Wanting to just quit this game

so if your current Play style does not fall in any of these Above description there is no
need to change, if however one of them is...try looking for another way, if however
that other way is worse....Give it a bit more tries, if in the end it is worse and no progress at all comes out of it, go back and try another until you find the one that Takes you
away from this chart ^_^

PS:
this goes for you two Airborne, your going into a slump Get out of it and fast
And yes Meta it was your Jiggz
...did i miss anything? XD

Metatitan

Smash Master
if u dont like how long your matches take then play however u want by all means. just when its a tourny match play safe

Top Bottom