• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Attention Europe: Will You Come To The UK this Summer?Smash tourney of the summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kone

Smash Master
SDB - (Myself, Aiko, Jo3, VA, Jam5,Koop 88,Cpt.Zeppo and many others) are considering holding a large tournament this Summer. The event will be 2/3 days and likely to be held in July. We want this to be the FIRST UK hosted EUROPEAN tournament.

We've noticed there seems to be a lack of offerings for the large smash tournament of the summer. We want to fill that :)

The event will be largely melee. There will be brawl if we acquire a venue for three days.

We're looking at venues that allow for sleeping at the venue.

Pre and Post tournament housing will be catered for by myself. Therefore, there won't be any large restrictions on what flights you take etc.

Before we go ahead and book a venue we're wanting to know whether European smashers are willing to make the UK for this? holland, germany, france, spain, finland, norway,sweden,italy what do you guys think?

UK lot you guys up for this ^_^ ?

Any queries, suggestions, criticisms ?!

If this looks likely a new thread will be created =)

Thankyou,

Ed

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I'd be up for it. I can't wait to get completely ***** in Meleeeee! I'm guessing the journey would be the easiest for the French. TGV + Eurostar is really efficient, unlike London Bloody Underground...

D

Deleted member

sounds good, if I can raise some money I'm coming

Kone

Smash Master
Teran - This tournament will be hosted in Northern England. Therefore, french will have to get flights imo. There are alot of potential travel arrangements that cater for all coutnries needs. Ill get into them and post options once a venue is confirmed =)

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Teran - This tournament will be hosted in Northern England. Therefore, french will have to get flights imo. There are alot of potential travel arrangements that cater for all coutnries needs. Ill get into them and post options once a venue is confirmed =)
Noooo I hate British Rail! xD

Kone

Smash Master
Then get the coach! is much cheaper

Charles - whats the point of your post ? theres only ever been one london tournament in the UK and it was balls. This tournament isnt in london and oyu know it isnt. Nor will it be. Itll be near me where housing is available and where I have the support network and available TVs.

Large euro tournies never happen in major cities anyway. Think about all swedish tournaments :/

Slhoka

Smash Lord
I'm not sure to be there because I may go to Genesis this summer (and stay a few weeks in the US).
However, if I can't make it to the states, I'll make my best to come ;)

FoulPlay

Smash Lord
I'm afraid I'll be in the states sometime in summer also, and will be going to Genesis if I'm in Cali' before it happens too. :/ I'll see what happens though.

Kone

Smash Master
I don't want this to become a "I would come to this but I may be at genesis" discussion. Post your interest,queries or not at all. Im sure the average european smasher can't afford a £500+ return ticket to West Coast America this Summer (ain't going to get any cheaper either).

When we out this together this will be Europe's alternative to genesis =D

Also, good chance it won't be on same weekend ;)

FoulPlay

Smash Lord
I don't want this to become a "I would come to this but I may be at genesis" discussion. Post your interest,queries or not at all. Im sure the average european smasher can't afford a £500+ return ticket to West Coast America this Summer (ain't going to get any cheaper either).

When we out this together this will be Europe's alternative to genesis =D

Also, good chance it won't be on same weekend ;)
Haha, sorry man, I didn't want to go "I won't be able to attend this because john john john" so I felt like telling you the truth. Most Europeans smashers wont go there though like you said, I'm going on holiday for non-smash related reasons, and it just happens to be around the same time as I'm planning to go. If it's when I come back or before I go, I'll come, but I don't know yet as dates haven't been finalised for the tournament here or my trip there. :p

Sorry though Ed if I don't make it. :(

Inertia123

Smash Journeyman
This could be awesome. I think you've got the right idea focusing on one game rather than trying to do everything (I heard about ESA 2 lol). What kind of dates are you planning this for. Also what are the limits? I'm guessing you can't house say 150 people or venunise them for that matter.

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
i spoke to prof and he said this tournament would have a lot of banter, come on europeans show some interest! I know you guys wanna travel to the UK for once

Koop_88

Smash Journeyman
I speak for SDB when I say I'm in, and that means a turnout of about 12 decent smashers! Legendary!

I spoke to prof before the thread was opened, and he reassured me he will be going for gold.

Faab

Smash Ace
What the hell jody how did ya find this topic -_- HAvn't seen you in ... 3 years now

Side note: Genesis johns, late july would be cool.

wisl

Smash Journeyman
Sunderland seems pretty high up north though. is that the only option?
but I'm interested. (note: scrub)

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I spoke to prof before the thread was opened, and he reassured me he will be going for gold.
loool Yeah, that was good convo.

Side note: Genesis johns, late july would be cool.
:ohwell: Everyone is going to this Genesis thing.

Kone you might iswell host this another time because it seems like most people will be attending this. It will give it more time to be advertised anyway.

Lawrencelot

Smash Lord
What's the date what's the date what's the date? How can I say I can go if I don't know the date? Don't these people have an agenda or something -_- (besides those who go to genesis). If it's in mid-august I'm interested.

Kone

Smash Master
loool Yeah, that was good convo.

:ohwell: Everyone is going to this Genesis thing.

Kone you might iswell host this another time because it seems like most people will be attending this. It will give it more time to be advertised anyway.

First off. It takes alot of organising and planning to host a normal tournament. Nevermind a european one. We will, obviously, take every detail into consideration. We aren't daft aaron and know what we are doing U_U'. By stating "host this another time" what are you instigating? July is an entire month and gensis is one weekend? lol. Passed that we are well aware that August is a possiblity (and also noted the lyon tournament that we won't clash with).

Furthermore, ive been around for five years now and have noted the same pattern year in year out...

US announce the largest tournament ever (omg omg omg omg) -> every european ever is going (omg omg omg) -> europeans check plane tickets (£500+ to west coast ameria)/consult parents/consult life -> don't purchase tickets in time = handful end up going.

I can count the amount of europeans that have made an american tournament on my hands :/

To this end I won't be allowing genesis to have any large impact on when this tournament his hosted. The one thing I will allow is that this tournament will NOT be the same weekend as genesis.

Im sure the majority of europeans wont be at genesis thus are able to attempt to make this :)

On another note to faab + lawrencelot and others concerned regarding dates = me,joe and aiko (the co-hosters) are meeting next weekend to talk to venues. It really does depend on what these venues say to us as to what date this is hosted. Potentiallly this time frame is july->august. I'd personally prefer the last weekend of July :). We will keep you updated. As soon as a proper date is confirmed expect a proper thread =)

This thread is mainly to find out what interest there is for this tournament out there and to let people know that we are wanting to host the big smash tourney of the summer ^_^

Wisl - Yes, this will be hosted in Northern England. I dont see the issue with this. This is where I live and thus are able to provide housing pre and post tournament to foreigners travelling here. There are four large airports in the area (2 close by and another with a couple of hours). These are newcastle, teeside, leeds and edinburgh. On top of this there are two cheap bus companies that run journeys from all other major UK cities eg birmingham, manchester, liverpool, london, glasgow etc. By cheap I mean you can get return tickets from london->sunderland for £4 return (if you get in there when the tickets are released...if people are likely to travel london->sunderland its more than likely ill buy the cheap tickets as soon as there released to avoid people missing out then hand them out).

What im saying is travel shouldnt be a major issue. We will go in depth with how to get to the tourney location once a ate is confirmed. There are ALOT of potential travel arrangements. You can fly into london then bus it for cheap. Yes, this takes a while but i can also offer housing a week before and after the tournament if needed =)

Furthermore, half of the Uk tourneys eer have been hosted here. Its where my support network (friends to help) and TVs are.Plus, I know the area ;) Theres only ever been one london tournament and it sucked. No housing in london. You'd have to get hotels etc

Basically, dont worry about the location. We will get you here as easy as possible :)

Kone

Smash Master
Wisl - Yeah it is. The three co-hosts are from northern england (sunderland, bolton, mancester). Makes sense to locate it in our vicinity. However, we won't allow this to be deterimental to the tournament nor your experience of it :). Glad your posting interest and queries.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
First off. It takes alot of organising and planning to host a normal tournament. Nevermind a european one. We will, obviously, take every detail into consideration. We aren't daft aaron and know what we are doing U_U'. By stating "host this another time" what are you instigating? July is an entire month and gensis is one weekend? lol. Passed that we are well aware that August is a possiblity (and also noted the lyon tournament that we won't clash with).

Furthermore, ive been around for five years now and have noted the same pattern year in year out...

US announce the largest tournament ever (omg omg omg omg) -> every european ever is going (omg omg omg) -> europeans check plane tickets (£500+ to west coast ameria)/consult parents/consult life -> don't purchase tickets in time = handful end up going.

I can count the amount of europeans that have made an american tournament on my hands :/

To this end I won't be allowing genesis to have any large impact on when this tournament his hosted. The one thing I will allow is that this tournament will NOT be the same weekend as genesis.

Im sure the majority of europeans wont be at genesis thus are able to attempt to make this :)
lol Yeah fair enough, didn't really think about it that way....what do I know anyway, I just attend tourns not organize them lol:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom