• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New DK upB tech

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
First here is the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-FXO43sUAc

This is done by ledgehopping your upB on any stage with a slanted edge, with Yoshi's being the easiest to do it on.

My theory on why this happens is this, when you use your aerial upB it has 3 frames of invincibility, if it touches ground and becomes a grounded version during this time then the glitch occurs making it stay invincible for the entire duration of the move. This would mean that you have a 3 frame window to perform the technique which feels about right from my testing with it. This may not be true, its just my theory, but it seems about right.

Hope this is helpful, and if anyone gains any new insight please feel free to help out.

EDIT: According to TheNix(thanks), this actually does work on every attack, which actually makes a lot more sense and clears up some questions that I had about how this worked. The theory seems to hold that this is done in the three frame invincible window from frame 4-6.

EDIT2: For people who are asking how hard this is to do, I just did 5 in a row on Yoshi's, here is what I did to get the timing down. Drop from the ledge then jump. Watch DK's feet, when they are parallel to the stage that is when you start your upB. By doing this I have been able to do this every time. Works the same way on Pictochat.

EDIT3: I have confirmed how the invincibility works. When recovery from the ledge with this you are given invincibility to certain attacks, mostly projectiles. You will also beat out or clank with most melee attacks. However, there is a portion of the move at the end where you have stopped spinning, but will continue to slide forward some while still flashing with invincibility. During this time you are invinicible to all attacks.

Master Raven

Smash Master
I was gonna say this was old info until I saw the lasers go through him. >_>

Interesting stuff.

PD4FR

Smash Ace
This could be useful against camping, considering it can be used at a neutral.

Nice find.

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
I was trying this a bit the last time I played. You know you did it right, even when no attacks are coming at you, because DK keeps "flashing" with invincibility the entire duration of his up+b.

I forgot to save the replay, but I'm positive I saw Marth's forward smash go through me during this (no clank). I'm also fairly sure I saw his downsmash go through the very end of my up+b, and then he hit with the second hit of it.

I was doing this with little difficulty on Yoshi's Island and Pictochat. I wasn't able to get it on Lylat Cruise, though I didn't try very many times, and my timing was probably just bad.

Player-3

Smash Hero
DK is now broken.

first the sakurai combo now this...
i need to pick him back up

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Cool discovery. Any chance it works for Bowser? His Up-B is very similar.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
This should be tested on Brinstar. I wonder if you can do it in Japes. If you drop from the far left or far right ledge than up to the main stage wouldnt it work?

Nokonoko

Smash Apprentice
Is a slanted edge necessary to go from the aerial to grounded version of the move?

Or could it be done on flat stages too if you used upB at just the right height and distance? <.<

PictoChat for #1 DK CP.

Player-3

Smash Hero
So pretty much its like sliding across the stage with your can of whoopass open?

so what your saying is DK now has a way go get up form the edge ...
completely safely...
not having to use any laggy attacks....
****. hes broken

ook

Smash Lord
Oh man. Awesome
Great find :bee:

DK tricks are top tier

Cargo spikes, wall infinites, grab releases, water spikes, sakurai combos, shield breaks, super armor, 9 punches, reverse punches, grounded footstool combos, up-b momentum cancels, now this.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
Oh man. Awesome
Great find :bee:

DK tricks are top tier

Cargo spikes, wall infinites, grab releases, water spikes, sakurai combos, shield breaking, super armor, 9 punches, reverse punches, grounded footstool combos, up-b momentum cancels, now this.
Shoulder Punch, SuperArmor Punch, 9 Punch, Ledgehopped Punch, Double Reverse Punch, Block Punch(thats all me), and you have to shout the name of each punch as you hit it. Makes it do extra awesome.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Holy ****. This is freaking awesome.

Shoulder Punch, SuperArmor Punch, 9 Punch, Ledgehopped Punch, Double Reverse Punch, Block Punch(thats all me), and you have to shout the name of each punch as you hit it. Makes it do extra awesome.
Anti-grab-release recovery time of doom, amazingly funky doop walk, and I'm sure we're forgetting something.

Now you guys need to figure out how to do it on Siege and Lylat, and you'll be golden. Heck, maybe it'll work on pirate ship and all fall-through platforms if you ledgehop/time it properly! :D

This looks like it could have so many applications it's not funny. xD

ook

Smash Lord
Lol, this works on Green Hill Zone too. I just did it

...just in case GHZ is legal and you ever pick it.

EDIT: also works on Distant Planet, Corneria, Big Blue (lol), Onett, Yoshi's Island melee
and on rainbow cruise, on the right ledge of the ship, the swinging pendulum thing, and the hump on the upper checkerboard part of the stage

Pretty much anywhere with a high enough slant that you can land an aerial up-b on the ground during the 4-6 frames.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
Lol, this works on Green Hill Zone too. I just did it

...just in case GHZ is legal and you ever pick it.

EDIT: also works on Distant Planet and Yoshi's Island (pipes)
and on rainbow cruise, on the right ledge of the ship, the swinging pendulum thing, and the hump on the upper checkerboard part of the stage

pretty much anywhere with a high enough slant
Sweet. Maybe I'm crazy but I actually like Rainbow with DK, weird right. I was gonna test some more of this stuff later but everyone else seems to be pretty much taking care of it, thanks. My roommate that I usually test stuff with doesn't feel like doing anything right now, so yeah, maybe later. How consistant are you guys pulling it off now, I get it like every 2 or 3 tries, but I haven't done much practice with it yet. Easier than the GFSC for sure.

Tujex

Smash Ace
I haven't gotten around to this because of ladder matches in Gears of War...but when I do, I'll put in my input if I find some new stages or anything you can do it on.

Mith_

Smash Champion
most def.
no more projectile spam :) (theoretically)
how hard do you think this will be to master joe?

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
It appears to be the 3 frame invincible window on the aerial upB you have to time, if thats the case, not terribly hard, but will take practice. I land it more often than I do GFSC, but thats probably just cause I don't practice my headbutts as much as I should. It seems easiest on Yoshi's of all the stages it works on, at least to me.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
What are the mechanics of this again? i think Im missing something...

You have to transition from aerial up B to a grounded up B in the first 3-4 frames? is the slant necessary or does any other possible method of fulfilling the above work to? Or maybe it doesnt work like that? ~_~ Loost! nyaaa...

Nokonoko

Smash Apprentice
Big O said:
Up B 19-57 or 4-67/84...(First set is grounded and the second set is aerial. Both end on frame 84. Grounded hits up to 9 times and aerial hits up to 8 times. Grounded has SA from frames 10-16 and the aerial version is invincible during the strong initial hit which happens on frames 4-6. Grabs the ledge as soon as frame 8)
^ Go from aerial to grounded in this three frame window to get lasting invincibility.

Confirmed for PAL version, by the way.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Lolz at DK having his own tornado, now spam tornado!

What if you did this with Jiggly puff's rest? a cool mindgame where your opponent charges a smash or does a laggy attack and you rest them for real after it.

Also do armor frames apply in the same way?

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
Lolz at DK having his own tornado, now spam tornado!

What if you did this with Jiggly puff's rest? a cool mindgame where your opponent charges a smash or does a laggy attack and you rest them for real after it.

Also do armor frames apply in the same way?
Take MK to Yoshi's and spam your nado on him for maximum justice.

By armor frames applying the same way, do you mean transfering to aerial from ground during armor frames to stay in permanent armor while in the air? If so then that doesn't appear to work, would be nice though.

CBK

Smash Journeyman
I haven't been this exited about a new tech since...well the GFSC....maybe a bit more. Because gettin on the stage over 100% is a *****.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
Yeah, he kind of needed this. I used to just ledgehop nairs after 100%, which isn't even good.

I updated the first post with some tips, this is so much easier once I got it down. I just practiced for like 3 minutes, and I just did this over 10 times before messing up.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
YURP! I wonder if R for grabbing or something will work

Top Bottom