• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DK Move Discussion

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Donkey Kong Move Discussion

I made this thread right after reading KoSa's on Tidying up the board and his suggestion on making a Moveset discussion thread, responsibility which I plan to undertake.

I fiddled around the Peach Boards and was unable to find how their thread was... But anyways, I'm making this! I'm making this discussion partly weekly as to be able to discuss each move individually... However, any decent information on an already reviewed move will be welcome and put into future updates. (Edit: An entire Week might be a lot of time for a single move.. So if this thread starts dying, I will change immediately)

The purpose of this Thread is to analyze every aspect of each of DK's 21~ main moves, all situations it can and should be used in, any possible combos with it, and all the related AT's... As well as general tips on using the move. Pros and Cons of every move will also be considered. I'll try to start clean on every move so you guys can discuss even the basic aspects of it.

(I'm still not familair with how much I can edit my own post, But I hope to be able to keep this Updated)

Hand Slap

Nickname: Kong Quake?
Rating:dk2::dk2::dk2: (So far)

Frame Data
Starts at Frame 19.
Each Hit lat 2 Frames.
10 Frames between First and Second Slap. (Come automatically)
16 Frames between Second and First Slap.
29 Frames of End Lag.
Hitstun: ??? (Also Pushes opponent away)[/center]

Damage: 14 Undiminished.

HorizontalRange: Very good on both sides of DK.

Vertical Range: LOL (That Bad) Opponent cant be in the air.

Knockback: Average-Low, straight upwards.

Pros:
-Huuuge Range that can stop all sorts of Ground approaches.
-Sends the enemy Upwards (He can DI to any side) which may lead to followups.
-Causes good shield damage, can shield poke.
-Pushes a shield opponent away until out of range.
-Makes you virtually impossible to grab.
-Stops Grounded Mach Tornado and Snakedash/other slides.
-Spot Dodges and Rolls will usually not be enough to escape this move, hitting opponent as his invinc. frames wear off..

Cons:
-Ending Lag is pretty bad.
-Move duration might allow an easy aerial approach.
-Has NO vertical range at all.
-Useless in small spaces (No place for them to stand, and since your body is not a hitbox...)
-Projectile spammers will destroy you.

Combos:
-Dtilt (Trip or not) Into this.
-Chase opponent with Bair.
-Uair.
-Utilt and Usmash if below plataform.

Strategy:
-Use it when Opponent is near the Ledge, this will make him slide out and grab onto it.
-When Opponent is Grabbing the Ledge and you are properly spaced, their can only jump or with a long range ledgehop.
-Dash and use this when you predict your opponent shielding to pressure him.
-Destroys Ice Climbers trying to CG.
-Will mess up Banana Approaches.
-Predict a Roll and use this, it should help condition them.
-Mindgames, bait your opponent into jumping.
-If there is a low ceiling wall, this will launch the opponent gainst it, then they will bounce back and get hit... Continues until they tech.

Description:
(DK WANT BANANAS)
You guys remember this move from 64? Then Melee? Well it's the best it's ever been in Brawl. It's fast to start, fast to end, and does 14 damage! It only works on the ground though, so you're boned if someone approaches in the air. Don't spam this too much. This move ***** spotdodgers and rollers. It's range is like this. Stand in the middle of FD, then it extends to almost the first arrow. Good range!
Perhaps one of the most famous DK moves (After Cargo and Punch). Used a lot by the newer players with bad results. The Hand Slap is well known for utterly destroying Multi-Man battles and and large teams of characters in Classic Mode. It has huge range on both sides so a running or walking approach is impossible.

Holding B as you do this move will make it continue on indefinitely and with the same ending lag, this, however, is not advised as it is very easy to approach from the air.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Down Aerial (Dair)

Nickname: Africa STOMP!
Rating?

Frame Data
Starts at Frame 18.
Ends on Frame 23.
31 Frames of End Lag.
31 Frames of Landing Lag (Ouch)
Autocancels on Frames 1-2 and 50-54 (In other words, never that's useful)
Hitstun: ??? (Barely pushes opponenet.. Then you get Punished)[/center]

Damage: 13 and 16 when Sweetspotted..

HorizontalRange: DK's Body.

Vertical Range: All of DK's body and a considerable downards distance.

Knockback: Decent-downwards. Makes them pop upwards a lot if hit on the ground. Otherwise, one of the strongest spikes.

Pros:
-Great Spike in all Aspects.
-Has huge range and can easily get an upset stock versus someone who isnt expecting it.
-Bouncing enemy upwards, allowing for surprise combos.
-Causes Moral damage to those who get spiked by it.
-Hard to airdodge or otherwise beat in the air.

Cons:
-It has some pretty bad lag, its common for new DK players to fall to their deaths using this.
-You must be higher than your opponent for this to be effective.
-Easily spotdodged or shieldgrabbed from...
-Landing Lag can be a free hit if you whiff.

Combos:
-Grounded Dair into Upsmash
-Grounded Dair into Uair. (Higher %'s)
-Cargo Dthrow into Spike.
-Backthrow into Spike.

Strategy:
-Do this IMMEDIATELY from a ledgehop to kill a recovering opponent.
-Mess up with jugglers who are not expecting it.
-Can come right out of a Whiffed Bair on edgeguard and maybe kill.
-Do this right over the edge in hopes of catching someone planning to sweetspot it.
-fullhop this to punish someone shorthopping.

Description:
AFRICA STOMP. Hitbox is all below DK. Go for the big finish. People love seeing DK stomp people into oblivion. Makes ya feel good. I'm guilty of pounding my chest afterwards. Also eating bananas. Hit em with the tip of DK's feet for more force and 16 damage. Non-sweetspot is 13 damage, and reduced force.!
My favorite DK move, and in my opinion, also the best Spike in the entire game. This move has Huge donwards range, as long as the opponente is below you this will send them doooooooooooown. Though is pretty useless inside the stage with its multiple lags and stuff. Either way, use this move a bit, and nobody will want to edgeguard you.. or get below you in an way... If in the entire game there is any move that gets upset kills and turns the whole match around so easily.. Its this...its EVIL, its the AFRICA STOP! FEAR IT!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This Week's Move:​

Spinning Kong

(update soon)​

Please Discuss.

daisho

Smash Lord
Pros:
Out Ranges almost any non projectile move and deals 14 percent.

Can sometimes be comboed out of a d throw at low percents.

Spot dodgers and techers get *****.

If they are shielding a bit far away you can usually catch them with this, if they are not cautious braking their shields.

Cons:
If they jump before then it is punishable.

If they have a projectile and see you warming up they can use it on you.

It can be shield grabbed if they shield the first one and are close to you.

Overall its a good move in some circumstances and can be extremely useful but at other points or against some characters its pointless.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
Wow awesome!

Well the DownB is a good move when the enemy is out of range of a Dtilt, and actually is very good against shields. I also love using this move against a readable ground approach. Like if Diddy drops a nanna infront of DK, and you know he is going to do a dash attack to pick it up. DownB. It props them up but I dont know any real follow-ups. If you miss you have a long wait time, and can get easily punished.

Its not sticked

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=188725

powuh_of_PIE

Smash Journeyman
Dtilt leads into Hand Slap very nicely up to about 50-60% on all characters. Good strings early in the stock are mostly variants of (insert weak move here) --> dtilt --> dtilt --> Hand Slap.

Also good for outranging and punishing laggy spacer moves, esp, against the likes of Ike and Zelda.

Ground approaches, such as grounded Whorenadoes and Snakedashes are also countered by Hand Slap.

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
But, I think if you enemy DIs then he can end up above you. So usually I stop the Down B after the second slap, unless a shield is up.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Mhm I see now... Mine is gonna be waaay prettier than that! Rwar!
Gonna find my Ascii characters too... And copy their ranking system... Well actually... Gonna Rank with Donkey Heads, 5 being the best move (Down Taunt).

Hope I can get pics for every move... ANyways, feel free to put your "Rating" on the move.. 3/5 or whatever nyan~ I'll add some better descriptions and stuff next update.

You can chian it very well into Bair, since they're popped right up, so you immediately cancel it, jump and woosh! Foot to the face... You dont necessarily have to be facing back depending on the %.

Also, on levels with plataforms, if you do this beow one it makes them land prone on top of it.. and you can Utilt or move a bit and Usmash, perhaps Hypen smash.. Or.. youknow.. Bair..

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
XD thinking ahead I like it. I suck at uploading photos or I would help out. Ground Slap gets a 3/5 Situational But a good move and serves its purpose

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
The most important aspect of this move to me is that it prevents grabs completely. Use it liberally against the Ice Climbers, and other grab happy characters like Kirby. Also, it seems to give your opponent a crazy amount of DI. Sometimes after the hit my opponents will end up above me, and sometimes they will fly pretty far away. Because of this a followup is not always guaranteed, but is possible depending on DI. Using it out of Dtilt is nice but I actually have a habit of using that too often, I need to mix up out of my Dtilt more.

Mith_

Smash Champion
Pros:
Good shield pressure, can eventually poke if your opponent is a shield wh0re.
Excellent ground spacer

Cons:
Can't be used in the air
moot vs aerial opponents
bad startup vs quick characters

I use this close to an opponent. If they shield keep doing it until they slide far enough away to reset. They can't jump out of shield because of shield stun. It hits really low so it does considerable damage to the shield (just as a headbutt does good shield damage since it hits from above). If they let their shield down free damage. If they don't initially shield, they get bounced and you retreat.

This move is so good.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
Also, if your opponent is near the ledge and they shield this they get pushed off stage and onto the ledge. I use this a lot there, helps to keep pressure near the ledge.

Mith_

Smash Champion
I think it could be used as a ledge guarder as well. Do this with your back turned from your opponent and a few steps away from the ledge. If you space it right it will be impossible for them to get back on the level without jumping. That's when you go for a Bair or maybe a Giant Punch :)

crifer

Smash Lord
Yeah Mithx,
I just wanted to say that can really mindgame people with it, when
- they are hanging at the edge, use downB watch how they jump, bair or uair them
- Yesterday I play against a Sonic a Matchup I dont know any at all.
When he was charging something, I used downB, immediately stopped doing and the jumped in his direction and uair, It worked many times

Overall @ low percentages of the enemy this is like a main damage builder thanks to dtilt dthrow, ftilt and so on.
I would give it a 3,5/5

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Use this move when the opponent is backed up against a ledge to greatly limit their options.
Use this move one time and cancel it to make foes instinctly hop into the air to approach, where you can great them.
Use this move where low ceilings are around to bounce and combo away.

Honestly, my favorite thing to do with this thing is use it just to bait reactions out of people and tear them up over it. Example is using it when they're hanging from the ledge, and canceling it after one or two slaps, just to run to the edge with a sliding Usmash while they're jumping.
Oops dead.

daisho

Smash Lord
Someone mentioned it (they said places with low platforms). Its not so useful especially since it will probably be banned soon.

DonkeyKongUh

Smash Cadet
Handslap -.- wat a terrible not even remotely epic name... I never knew it was called that and now i'm extremely dissapointed... I mean wouldn't groundpound, HULK SMASH ,amgz iz shaking the ground, dk iz broken, a projectilile?!, gtfo, or dk fiya! be a cooler name... I think we should make cooler names for the specials and make up cool names for his other moves :)

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Kay, post updated with the current info... I personally dont use this much though.. besides like.. Jungle Japes.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Lol yeah... >> Not Luigi.. But his mansion.. His faut too for not being specific rnouhg though.. It did look kinda silly..

The Pope

Smash Apprentice
With the down B, I suggest to only tap the B button once when you do it so you don't get trapped in the animation of multiple claps. I'm pretty sure this is pure common sense but I see a lot of DK's that get overboard with the move and the end up getting punished for this.

Also, limit the amount you use this move when you are facing a Peach or any other arial based character. You'll be a sitting duck when its obvious that you won't be able to land the attack.

Mith_

Smash Champion
Keep doing it until it lands. When it does it will pop them up then stop and retreat.

Never do this against a good peach lol.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
As I said, its best against characters who tend to stay grounded, or those with a solid grab game. Aerial based characters won't be to greatly effected by this.

Mith_

Smash Champion
Who to use Hand Slap against:

Use a lot:
:ganondorf:
:fox: (meh)
:toonlink:
:falcon:
:diddy:
:snake:
:dedede:
:shiek:
:charizard:
:rob:
:zerosuitsamus:
:zelda:
:ivysaur:
:ike:
:falco:
:olimar:
:link2:
:dk2:
:bowser2:
:yoshi2:
:samus2:
:popo::popo::popo:

Use sparingly:
:ness2:
:lucas:
:mario2:
:luigi2:
:squirtle:
:sonic:
:pikachu2:
:lucario:
:marth: (meh)

Don't use:
:jigglypuff:
:peach:
:kirby2: (meh)
:wario: (meh)
:gw:
:wolf:
:pit:
:metaknight:

Of course this list is just from my personal experiences, and may or may not apply to you.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
That list looks pretty good. I love that its so good in DK dittos. Maybe thats why I hate the DK mirror in this game.

Only change I would make is, why do you think its bad against Kirby. Most Kirby's are so grab happy at low percents, its really effective up till you reach about 40-50%, after that though, I agree, not very useful.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Nice, though I think we're starting to repeat ourselves a Bit and stuff and i have no intentions to adding a character section to each move ^^;, Maybe its about time we change to the next move? (Nothing to update this morning, really)o-o Please Let me know if you guys wanna switch, cause Dair is next.

Blad01

Smash Lord
Could someone make hotbox pictures for this thread ? That would be even more awesome :p

Yeah I think we should move on ;)

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
ok, a couple of things

first, this move is good in small spaces, since they cannot avoid it, you just have to read them right and know wen they won't attack.

this move was designed to take out the other guys defensive options, unfortunately most offensive options will beat it (unless they're strictly close range and on the ground, but even then you need to space it well). if you think they will shield/dodge/roll, this move is always an option

characters it is good against

snake - helps the matchup a lot... he has to go aerial if you just space with quick slaps
falco - he will try to grab you for the first 40%, this makes sure he does not
kirby - see: falco
ganon - largely ground-based, see: snake
bowser - diminishes oos options, don't abuse though
ike - see: snake
marth - messes with his spacing game on the ground, needs a proper setup, establish that his fair will be tilted, then mix this in

prolly more, whenever they're on the ground a lot, use this

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Will Do.. I'll try to add HitBox Images for some of the moves.. I just need a solid pic of the move at its maximun range... If any of you can help me find it, I'll add the boxes and stuff then post it here.

Ok so.. Dair starts... Now, time to edit!

KoSa!

Smash Journeyman
You know what would be awesome adding a hint of what the next move is. But that's kinda difficult, and requires research.

Edit without blue font

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
I might try the Hint thing~ We'll see... Requires research? I dont get you...

Blue font? you mean the Pro's section? does it need a new color? if that's so I'll find it something ^^

Anyways, the update is up... DAIR TIME!

ook

Smash Lord
If for some reason you DO do it onstage, and they pop up into the air, jump up and up-air them.

If they're at high-percent it'll KO, and it looks pretty sweet, like a combo. It's obviously escapable, but for some reason a lot of people won't airdodge it :/ I dunno, I catch a lot of people with it

Then do a chest pound taunt

Top Bottom