• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

HONING IN -- How to approach, and what to do once you have (updated 02/13)

Delvro

Smash Ace
As the world turns and the mushroom kingdom evolves -- it's denizens fretting about the latest princess kidnapping -- people tend to forget about the heroes of old, and instead favor the newest, most trendy celebrities of the time. There are those who have forgotten the martial arts that are more powerful than the crane style, the monkey style, or even the Meta-Knight style... I am talking about, of course, the Luigi style.

Now, you wouldn't be here if you've forgotten about Luigi, would you?
Good. Then, this 古流 is for those who already know the basic moves of Luigi, but are frustrated by the apparent lack of their useful application against the celebrities of today (Mega-Knight, King Dumbledore, and others)

I am not a Luigi master... I am simply passing down ancient lore... Think of us as ルイージ 先生 (Ruīji Sensei)

Firstly, you must understand smashboards jargon to be able to continue.
SH -- Short hop
DJ -- Double Jump
FF -- Fast Fall
AD -- Air Dodge
DACUS -- Dash Attack Cancelled Up Smash. This is done by running, then hitting Cstick (not up), then IMMEDIATELY pressing up and Z.
Hyphen Smash -- An easier way to perform a sliding Usmash. While running, hit Cstick up and quickly press Z (or hold to charge)
Shoryuken -- Fire Jump Punch, Luigi's Up-B
DNair -- Double aerial. In this case Dair followed by a Nair.
Jab Cancel -- Pressing down quickly after doing your Jab 1, letting you do another Jab 1 faster. There's a thread about it somewhere...
WOP -- Wall of Pain

For a list of Luigi's moves and their uses, see Luigi's Basement Journal:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=203823

APPROACHING GROUNDED OPPONENTS
Don't be frustrated by Luigi's lack of range.

Fireball + SH Fireball - http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=175919
It's not just for spamming! An approaching fireball can stun them long enough for you to get close and subdue them with your superior hand-to-hand combat. Also used for baiting and studying. Weak against quick projectiles and fast approaches from opponents.
CHARACTERS YOU CAN FORCE TO APPROACH WITH FIREBALLS (usually situational): Meta-Knight, Marth, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Peach, Kirby, Ike, Yoshi, Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon, Ganondorf.

SH Double Aerial (DNair, FFair, FNair, BBair) -- Extremely versatile, yet somewhat predictable. Often good for starting combos (Nair). When mixed up with other approaches, can be very effective, especially if the opponent is using projectiles or ground based attacks during your approach. Works better when mixed with RETREATING SH Double Aerials. Weak against shield-grabs (except BBair, which is only weak against shields), and against ↖ and ↗ angled attacks.

Triple aerial (SH Bair DJ Rising Bair falling Bair) -- Used for pressuring and studying. Bair is chosen for its range and protection against shield-grabbing. Weak against long range ↖ and ↗ angled attacks, and is more telegraphed than Double Aerial.

Approaching tornado (+ SH aerial FF tornado) -- Used to stop many projectiles in their tracks, as well as a great surprise move. Also good for starting combos. VERY weak against shield grabbing. Many characters can shield grab this move before it even finishes.

SH Dair FFAD buffering (Jab, Grab, Dsmash) -- Used to raise Luigi's apparent speed. The Dair is used for spacing. Also confuses opponents when mixed in well. Good as a surprise attack, or when an opponent has formed a (predictable) counter to your Double Aerial. GREAT for starting combos. Weak against long lasting hit-boxes and waiting opponents.

Approaching Hyphen Smash or DACUS -- Definitely situational, used as a surprise attack against an opponent accustomed to slow, aerial approaches. Comes in quickly, so it is ONLY to be used as a surprise attack. When your aerial approaches and tornadoes are getting shield-grabbed, try this. Weak against grounded spacing attacks

SH AD "Short Hop Air Dodge" -- A defensive maneuver. Used to close distance on an expected enemy attack at range. Can be used to punish end lag from an opponent at close range with a Shoryuken at close range.

Roll -- A defensive maneuver. Typically not very useful, but sometimes suitable against characters with good range yet low turnaround maneuverability. Use sparingly against characters like Marth, Link, Lucas, Ness, Snake, and other similar characters. Weak against Dsmashes and turnaround attacks.

Fake approaches -- A defensive maneuver. VERY useful... especially when nothing else seems to work. Used for baiting and studying. An example of a fake approach is: SH forward, stall in the air out of range, DJ back ward. From there you can perform a quick REAL approach with a FF tornado, or you could fireball. Fake approaches are especially useful against cautious characters who like to shield a lot.

APPROACHING AERIAL OPPONENTS
From any angle, Luigi has a nearly endless supply of options to attack.

falling Bair............Nair
Dair (spike)...........Dair
Fair (low hitbox).....Cyclone
....................↖......↑
....Fair...Bair←.......FOE
....................↙......↓
Rising Bair.............Uair
Uair.....................Rising Nair
Green Missile..........Rising Tornado
Fireball.................Usmash
Rising Tornado........Utilt

Learn what your options are at any given angle (above) and stay away from danger zones!
DANGER ZONES: Foe is facing left, the direction of the arrow is where Luigi is relative to the foe.
Red = High Danger, Yellow = Medium Danger
Mega-Knight: ↑.↗.→.↓.←.↖.↘.↙
Snake: →.
Falco:↓.↑.→.
King Dumbledore:↓.↑.→.
G+W:↑.→.↘.↓.←.↗.↙.↖
Marth:↑.↗.→.←.↖.
Diddy Kong:
Wario:
R.O.B.:↑.→.↙.←.↖.↓.↘
Lucario: ↓.
Luigi: Everywhere, of course! (Duh)
If you can't see these, refer to post #6.
As you can see, approaching from an angle is often a good idea (except against ROB).

APPROACHING FROM THE LEDGE
It feels dangerous to hang from the ledge with a waiting enemy, but you have many options that will give you the upper hand.

Drop off, DJ backward and fireball towards the stage(recover with Up-B) -- easy to do, and not much risk, unless your opponent reads you and jumps offstage also (but that puts HIM at risk!). GREAT for studying (read annoying) opponents.

Ledge hop to rising Nair -- Basically a better version of the getup attack, and spaces you upward afterwards. Great for surprise KOs. This technique should be feared! Weak against long-lasting hitboxes.

Ledge drop to DJ Fairs or Cyclone When your opponent has caught the timing of ledge hop Nairs, this is great for throwing them off. Use as a mix-up. Also offers better protection against long-lasting hitboxes, since you can often see them coming. Weak against shields, and gives opponents more time to react than ledgehop Nair.

Run the heck away -- By ledge drop to DJ away to rising cyclone. You should only use this if nothing else works, but it puts you in a different position where you MAY have more options (like falling tornado or airdodging through) Weak against a lot of things.

Ledge hop AD inward, get-up attack, get-up roll -- standard defensive techniques. Fairly situational, but still useful.

Ledge DROP DJ to AD inward -- Probably your most useful defensive technique, if attacking from the ledge is getting you nowhere.

OFF THE EDGE
Luigi's offstage game is on par with his aerial game, if not slightly better. Make use of it, and don't be scared to jump off!

For opponents recovering VERY high, you want to be on stage or up on a platform, as high as you can get. You're in a good position to fire fireballs, or some Bairs.
Otherwise you usually want to be hanging from the ledge, a good neutral position for Luigi. When edgeguarding, Bairs are your FRIEND!
Don't be afraid to do multiple aerials offstage! Luigi's recovery is good -- distance wise -- and if your opponent is struggling to recover, you can finish them off with aerials on your way down... or with your rising tornado on your way back up for a stage spike!
Dair spiking is fun, but hard.

When YOU'RE the one flying away, use DI to alter your direction, and then immediately use an aerial to slow down your momentum.
When sent flying upward, hit Cstick down and you'll do a Dair. Believe it or not, this simple tactic can make you live 8% longer!
When sent sideways, do a Fair and then either:
Jump and do a rising cyclone (to recover high and protect against gimpers, my personal favorite) OR Use a Green Missile.
When an opponent is trying to gimp you, USE FIREBALLS! They're fairly safe, and work well to deter a persistant foe. This works especially well when you are offstage and your opponent is sitting on the stage waiting for you.

GETTING THE KILL
Always keep your opponents percent in mind, looking for an opening to perform a potential killing move. HOWEVER! DON'T focus on the KO if your opponent is not falling for it! Simply keep dealing damage until you open up more KO opportunities.

Shoryuken -- Cr4sh's signature move. He even yells it at tournaments. Pair it with a jab or use it to punish predictability in opponents. (50-55%, no DI --- 60% DI)

Fsmash -- ALWAYS tilt it upward by holding up and hitting Cstick left or right. (80-85% no DI, 90% DI)

Bair WOP -- Knock em off with multiple Bairs off the stage! (Varies, usually 90%+)

Usmash -- Your anti-air KO move. Hyphen smashing it (or DACUS for more range) offers an additional surprise, and foes will tend not to try and attack you through it (since you slide towards them at the last moment, they have little time to react and usually airdodge). This is one move that you can charge (sometimes charge a lot) and still hit with it, if you can read airdodges well! (90-100% no DI, 105% DI, uncharged)

Nair --- The best move in the game. Spam it every time you're getting comboed, and you can break combos. Great for revenge kills, combo breaker kills, jumping from ledge kills, and LOLWUT kills. (110-140%, based on staleness and DI)

Utilt --- Very easy to pull off, and spammable too. With this, your opponents should almost never survive above 140%. (130-140% based on staleness and DI)

Bthrow (near the edge) --- Great when nothing else seems to work. All it takes is a jab, and you can pull this one off. (130- 145 with DI) this move is almost always DI'd.

NOT DYING (Don't get hit)
Many people are discouraged by Luigi's defensive game, and instead opt for an all-out, in-your-face Luigi. This is BAD!

SHIELD -- In my opinion, this is the MOST IMPORTANT MOVE IN THE GAME. A powershield can lead to a shoryuken. Luigi can shield-grab some attacks, despite his low traction. Shielding aerials often leads to an Usmash. If nothing else, shielding stops you from taking damage.
In friendlies, try forgetting about your combos entirely and do nothing but fireballs and shielding-and-countering. Weak against Olimar and DDD =P

Spot Dodge -- A GREAT move for punishing end-lag. Can be used to set up a lot of moves ( like Fsmash and Dsmash) if you can force your opponent to whiff an attack. weak against moves with long-lasting hitboxes (Link's UpB, ROB's Dsmash)

Air Dodge -- Used fairly often against opponents with good Uairs (so that you go past them) as well as air-dodging into the ground to punish opponent's lag. Air dodging into the ground ends the air dodge early, with 2 frames of vulnerability (4 if you fast fall it). Useful, but don't overuse it! Air Dodges are more easily read than spot-dodges, and also have more punishable lag at the end.

WHERE COMBOS START + END
The ability to string one attack after another is one of Luigi's greatest gifts. This section teaches how to start them, as well as how to keep them going as long as possible. Keep in mind that these are not guaranteed (if they were, Luigi would be top tier!) -- you have to know your opponent, predict their air-dodges, etc -- However, these strings can all be done without the battle returning to a neutral state.
Green: Move strings onto itself
Red: Finishing move
White: The string can continue!
(xx%) is given for moves that stop comboing after a certain low percent.

Jab -- Shoryuken, Dsmash, Dthrow, Dtilt
Dthrow -- Dair, Nair (45%), Uair, Bair, Fair, Utilt (35%), Usmash (slide and charge to anticipate air dodging)
Utilt -- Uair (60%), Bair (50%)
Dtilt -- Fsmash (trip only), Usmash (>100%)
Nair (falling, sour only) -- Uair, Utilt (30%), Usmash (30%)
Uair -- Bair, Fair, Rising Cyclone
Bair -- Fireball, Green Missile
Fair -- Uair, Fireball, Green Missile
Grounded Cyclone (difficult to string due to lag) -- Uair, Bair, Fair, Utilt, Usmash
Dair -- Fair (50%), Nair (40%), Grounded Cyclone (30%), Fireball

Aerials only string onto themselves if you haven't used your second jump.
Therefore, a completely successful string, for example, could begin at 0% with a falling sour Nair, Utilt, Utilt, Uair, rising Bair, and then a Green Missile misfire for the kill.
If your Bair or Fair sends them too far away to combo, just use a fireball! It's extremely safe, and tacks on a good 6%. If you're trying to fireball after a Bair, do an aerial turn-around fireball (push the joystick toward the enemy, let the joystick go back to neutral position, then quickly press B)
--

I know it's a lot to absorb, and you certainly shouldn't try to take it in all at once. Practice a little at a time. Who knows, one day you may master the Luigi 極 style and finally bring our Hero the glory he deserves!

Luigi's style is eternally evolving. While on your adventures, if you discover a new technique (no matter how small), let me know and I will add it to the record.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
Lookin' goooooood. I like it this much |-----------------------------------------------------|

This should solve any simple questions that come along as well because of all the approaching tactics. This should be referred to a lot during critiques.

crewster

Smash Lord
Could you remove the boxes plz, for some things I see there are just a square?
lol at you caling d3 king dumbladore

this is good stuff

crewster

Smash Lord
1) ...Luigi 極 style...

2) ...this 古流 is...
3) ...many ルイージ 先生 (Ruīji Sensei)......

4) ...↖ and ↗ angled attacks...
1) imbetween luigi and style

2) in between this and is
3) after many, looks like 2 words

4) each side of the and.

Delvro

Smash Ace
1) imbetween luigi and style

2) in between this and is
3) after many, looks like 2 words

4) each side of the and.
1) The kanji for "extreme"
2) The kanji for "school", more specifically a martial-arts school.
3) The Japanese katakana for "Luigi", and the kanji for sensei.
4) Those are diagonal arrows.
If the kanji is annoying anyone (and the diagonal arrows), please let me know! I'll take them out and replace them with something else.

FOR THE AERIAL DANGER ZONE SECTION:
Mega-Knight: above, above-behind, behind, below, front, above-front,below-behind, below-front.
Snake: right,below.
Falco:below,up, behind.
King Dumbledore:above, below,behind.
G+W:above, behind, below-behind, below, front,above-behind, below-front, above-front.
Marth:above, above-behind, behind, front, above-front.
Diddy Kong:below.
Wario:above.
R.O.B.:above, behind, below-front, front, above-front,below, below-behind.
Lucario: below, above.

Thanks for the encouragementsss

Delvro

Smash Ace
The guide's mostly done.

PLEASE let me know if you'd like something added! Or changed!

ママミア! (mamamia)

Atash

Smash Apprentice
Wow - nice! This is, like, epic awesomesauce in my personal opinion - the danger zones is succinct and quite useful ESPECIALLY!

I may have something to contribute as well, actually (be ready for some superfluous writing - I seem to do a lot of it).

Dashing towards and reading their reaction seems to be an awesome way to set up a DACUS. If you can read your opponent and expect a grab or a spot dodge (and hopefully something not OOS), pulling out a DACUS and sliding just until you're a Luigi-and-a-half away (or some distance to that extent) lets you hit people with your head as it comes around the end of its arc. Unfortunately, I've only started pulling these today against a Shiek, but - the theorycraft appears to be compact enough to be valid. At best, it looks like a mix-up, but, I liked my results... The Shiek cussed at my U-smash upon flying away. To be honest, I never realized just how much range the U-smash actually has in the forward direction until today >_<

Also, a DACUS appears to be good for chasing airborne opponents from the ground, esp. if the opponents happen to have bad down aerials or neutral aerials, or if in the off-case they're in a helpless state and you don't feel like attempting an aerial FJP them (I can never pull those off, so I just DACUS). All of the danger zones applicable to the U-smash obviously apply to this (but I like stating the obvious :-P ), but I think DACUS also may suffer from danger in the diagonal directions. Then again, a charged Luigi-head can probably clash with or outspeed most anything coming at it from the air...

But I dunno -.-' Just felt like contributing.

Again, awesome job with this.

Mayling

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ah, yes, the DACUS.

I have them in the guide as Hyphen-smashing (both applications), but I'll add in the fact that you can DACUS, too. From what I understand DACUS gives a lil more sliding but hyphen smashing is easier to do so that's what I do.

Thanks~

EDIT: crap wrong account this is Delvro

Atash

Smash Apprentice
Oh - by the way... Hyphen smashing may be easier to do, but it doesn't take much more effort to pull off a DACUS. From somewhere... SOMEPLACE here on Smashboards, I read that someone performs DACUSes via dashing, tilting the C-stick up to pull off a dash attack, and simultaneously hitting the 'z' button. This spreads the timing of the DACUS across three fingers rather than two, and totally eliminates the stress that your left thumb has to suffer through when switching rapidly from a sideways direction to an upwards direction. It makes it soooo much easier - I have rarely hyphen smashed (if ever) after having read about that.

EDIT: @ Delvro on the wrong account:
Yeah, I guessed as much. :-P

Delvro

Smash Ace
Oh - by the way... Hyphen smashing may be easier to do, but it doesn't take much more effort to pull off a DACUS. From somewhere... SOMEPLACE here on Smashboards, I read that someone performs DACUSes via dashing, tilting the C-stick up to pull off a dash attack, and simultaneously hitting the 'z' button. This spreads the timing of the DACUS across three fingers rather than two, and totally eliminates the stress that your left thumb has to suffer through when switching rapidly from a sideways direction to an upwards direction. It makes it soooo much easier - I have rarely hyphen smashed (if ever) after having read about that.

EDIT: @ Delvro on the wrong account:
Yeah, I guessed as much. :-P
hitting Cstick up while running makes you do a hyphen smash. Holding Z immediately after lets you charge it. For some reason, the developers of Brawl let you Usmash with the Cstick up while running, yet it's impossible to do any other smash moves with the Cstick while running.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Listen to this man. His luigi is smooth, sexy and stylish. I don't understand how he does it but he flows like melted butter.
(I'm still better though XD)

Also, the dair spike doesn't hit when they're below you, only above+side.

Atash

Smash Apprentice
hitting Cstick up while running makes you do a hyphen smash. Holding Z immediately after lets you charge it. For some reason, the developers of Brawl let you Usmash with the Cstick up while running, yet it's impossible to do any other smash moves with the Cstick while running.
... Somehow I doubt that. Every time I've tilted the C-stick in ANY direction while still holding the analog stick in the direction of a dash, I have performed a dash attack. Considering also that I've slid significant distances with this method, kinds only comparable with regularly performed DACUSes rather than charged hyphen smashes...

Perhaps you meant hitting the C-stick after releasing the analog...?

Also (this may or may not be helpful) - I play with the classic controller, so there is a minute chance that there's a difference in the input scheme, although I highly doubt that such a difference in low-level I/O handling could create this discrepancy. I'm doubtful that the programmers of brawl placed inline code for the handling of different I/O methods within the exact same functions that handle player control due to the optional control setup they use - it is more likely that they used a mapping scheme...

Woooo - tangents...

CR4SH

Smash Lord
... Somehow I doubt that. Every time I've tilted the C-stick in ANY direction while still holding the analog stick in the direction of a dash, I have performed a dash attack.
I don't know how you missed it, but delvro is 100% right. Go try it, it works just fine.

If it doesn't work with the classic controller (which seems very unlikely) then.......weird.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
I have found a couple of things that just don't seem to work out with the classic controller, it may just be my in-experience with it but, I don't know, its possible that some stuff doesn't work.

Delvro

Smash Ace
Hmm... that reminds me... I forgot about the alternate modes of control (as in not a Gamecube controller)
Uhhhhh.... honestly I don't know about the classic controller or wiimote + chuck, so if there's anything important I should know about them please tell me.

EDIT: Took out "up close + personal" because Luigi's basement journal does a much better job and replaced it with "where combos start and end"

Ilucamy

Smash Journeyman
I can see everything ^^ yay
はい、ありがとうルイージのせんせい。

I personally don't like Kanji because I suck at it >.<
So I just write everything in ひらがな and カタカナ

Anyway, why is fireball listed as a kill move in the strings section?
Up-tilted forward smash will miss small characters too, so I don't always tilt it up, might want to add that in case you try to forward smash olimar and miss >.<

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Huh?

It hits olimar just fine.

Regular forward smash is a better idea in a lot of cases though. Range is really the only reason. One thing I really like to do is U-fsmash followed by a regular fsmash, IASA style. It's difficult to predict, especially when people think they're safe since the first one was out of range. Just don't throw a regular one below 100%.

Delvro

Smash Ace
Fireball isn't listed as a killer, it's listed as a finisher (as in the combo ends)

okay the thread title made me rage. The LBR has been planning to make a approach guide indepth wise, so this stuff really needs ALOT of fixing. I just need some time to fix it up for mine lol.
You know, I made this guide to help Luigi players who are frustrated with his lack of options, because we don't have an all-encompassing guide of this sort around yet. I have no idea what in the world the LBR is doing because nobody has said anything about it to me. It would have been nice to know about whatever guide the LBR is making earlier, so that I could stop wasting my time here and lend my support to that one instead (unless I'm not good enough, of course)

as for the things that need fixing, I'd like specific comments so that I can change it. Clearly you don't think much of it, but criticism without specific suggestions do no good, really. I'll amend anything that is incorrect as people find them... seems reasonable enough to me.

If you want to make your own approach guide, then whatever~

CR4SH

Smash Lord
I would definetly take pikachu off the "fireball forces" this character to do anything list. T-jolt is way better than hadokens. Yoshi seems questionable, but I don't fight good yoshis.

Delvro

Smash Ace
I would definetly take pikachu off the "fireball forces" this character to do anything list. T-jolt is way better than hadokens. Yoshi seems questionable, but I don't fight good yoshis.
Huh. Why DID I put pikachu there?? O__O

I wish there was an option to let anybody edit a post

Atash

Smash Apprentice
No no - nevermind. Either my imagination is incredibly overactive or my ability to pay attention to which buttons I'm pressing while doing certain attacks is sub-par. Even on the classic controller, pushing up on the right analog stick results in a hyphen smash. My apologies for stating the wrong thing.

However, that then leads me to ask - what is the difference between using the right analog stick and 'z' button to perform a sliding up-smash and a regular DACUS? They both seem to travel large distances and seem to be of use for the same purposes...

kigbariom

Smash Lord
It pretty much is a DACUS, isn't it, this is how I did it with Link's U-smash except with a DAC, I just think this way is easier for Luigi. And DACUS slides a bit further.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
Added this to the TOC...post there if you want me to change the description...I just took the first two paragraphs from this guide and quoted you.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
It's good, we should keep this around, like we update it every time we get new approach ideas. We can have a section for the new approaches or something.

Delvro

Smash Ace
I'm on the forums like five days a week (bored at work)... so updates will be quick!

Gimme any new ideas when they come~~

Atash

Smash Apprentice
You're right...it's an excellent idea to approach R.O.B. from an angle! :p
Oh gawd! It's a R.O.B. trying to mindgame us into approaching the 1980s Video Game controller* from an angle!

* For those of you who don't get the reference - R.O.B. was the savior of Nintendo's fortunes during the 1980s video game crash. People started to hate video games, but Nintendo disguised their games via the use of a more interactive looking thing - a 'toy' if you will rather than a 'console'. They profited. :-D

Correct me if I'm wrong about that, by the way.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actual contribution:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=221780
The discussion can be summarized as, "Walking is more awesome than running. Remember, walk, don't run, in the halls (of your mansion)."

Random:

I just realized something... Luigi is the only person who gets to live in luxury in SSBB. Marth may have Castle Siege, but what the hell kind of a person wants to live in a castle under siege? Luigi has a freaking MANSION THAT REBUILDS ITSELF! Didja notice how comfy those sofas are? Didja also notice how the doors to the bedrooms are closed? Wanna know what Luigi is doing when other people are fighting in his modest regenerative mansion?

ZSS.

That automatically pwnz every other male brawl character in existence.

Top Bottom