• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link's Match-up Discussion #28 - Ice Climbers

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Ice Climbers

Ratio: 60:40 Toon Link

Synopsis:
Coming like...when you believe.

Onward!

Pho

Smash Journeyman
Zair is a good spacing tool against ICs. It beats their forward B, which can rack of some damage if they land it on you. If you get Nana with a bair, keep bairing, since it doesn't DI. The longer you keep them seperated, the better.

Oh, and don't get grabbed, because you will die.

F00LY

Smash Apprentice
Don't get grabbed. Best advice ever. XD

I'm no pro, but I've been 0-to-Death grabbed plenty by some ICs, and gotten lucky enough to beat a few of them as well. My main friend in this matchup is bombs and platforms. I know we have a thread for CPs, but against them I'd do Rainbow Cruise or Battlefield, and bomb drop like no tomorrow. Run -> reverse bomb throw, SH bomb throws, z-drops with z-airs mixed in, all of which can do one of two things

Hit Popo giving you an OP to followup, or if you're lucky seperate them, even slightly the momentary deysnch will help. I don't find arrows very effective to me in this matchup at all either. Unless its like nAir to lag-cancel'd arrows for spacing/retreating. If they get inside your dead so just stay on the outside and you'll be okay.

Recovery just standard stuff...always land with a bomb in hand, or freshly z-dropped so you know you can retreat. If they start a CG off a recover'd landing, the bombs explosion will be your saviour.

copacetic

Smash Journeyman
Nair and D-smash work well for separating them. If they're separated on and nana is on the ground, dtilt and ftilt work well for keeping her away, since she won't react as much, and it will keep your more used moves fresh.

Don't get grabbed

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
Run away and throw bombs...

Seriously, though, TL is floaty enough to take Nana off the edge and gimp her. It's too risky for Popo to go too far off the edge and save her, so you won't have to worry about being attacked out there...

*P*L*U*R*

Smash Hero
I know nothing about TL but I'd say Zair, rangs and bombs. Bair combo Nana to death. You could seriously Bair-> spike her every time if you separate the two. You don't really have to worry about our Uair because your dair is soo much better. If TL keeps his spacing tight, he'll def win this. He out camps us and outranges us. Hell, I think if you space right you can probably grab one on the IC's and B/Fthrow and not really be punished for it. Free forced desynch.

I think IC has to stay mid-range/up close in this match. Staying outside will get us dominated and pelted in a rain of ****. IC has a decent brickwall game against TL at mid-range with Blocks and Blizzards. Ice blocks cancel out everything not named Nikita or Razor Leaf and I think Blizzard can stalls the bombs in the air long enough for you to snatch them(But I MAY be thinking of Melee). But I've never gone against a good Toon Link so I wouldn't know.

I want to say 65-35 TL but I know nothing about TLink so my advice isn't too sound.

Oh yeah, and that pic is awesome.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
His projectiles are pretty annoying. That's about it.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
In this matchup, always have a bomb in hand. They will save u from infinites in the case that u do get grabbed. Space with zair. Dont get grabbed. And camp them with all 3 proyectiles cleverly. Use nair to retreat. Try to stay in the air as much as u can and camp with bombs from above. The problem in this matchup is killing. I recommend not even trying to kill with anything unless nana isnt alive anymore. Because we all know our kill moves are unsafe and getting punished by ics means o-to death. Be careful with their uair its good. Overall, id say we have the advantage 55:45 or 60:40 TL. Sorry, for the little info i provided im writing from a phone.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I'd assume the best counterpicks are stages w/ irregular surfaces like Lylat, Yoshi's Brawl, and of course stages like Rainbow Cruise and Delfino?

TLMarth

Smash Ace
1: VietGeek changed back to Marth.

2: Summary-ish thing: Stay in air, have bomb, kill Nana.

Do surfaces like those stop chaingrab infinites?

VietGeek

Smash Hero
1: VietGeek changed back to Marth.

2: Summary-ish thing: Stay in air, have bomb, kill Nana.

Do surfaces like those stop chaingrab infinites?
ICs are pretty precise, so yeah, a simple lump or tilting of Lylat can screw up a grab.

Odd but true.

Course you can just platform camp all day & night and play like a b*tch. If I ever face ICs, I'd totally camp them.

I mean there's TWO OF THEM. HOW IS THAT FAIR?!

^_^

Top Bottom