• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi v. Kirby

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: This is the thread for discussion on the Yoshi v. Kirby matchup.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Let me tell I hate Kirby something awful. I play a really good one frequently. I find my best option is camping the hell out of them, and playing the waiting game. After a while if you hold out long enough Kirby will go aggro and try to get the kill. So just wait for mistakes and punish them.

Pivot grabs are your best friend, because if a Kirby approaches with bair you can pivot grab it and punish.

Also, don't get Kirbycided. That means do not try to fight Kirby offstage. You will lose.

D

Deleted member

Let me tell I hate Kirby something awful. I play a really good one frequently. I find my best option is camping the hell out of them, and playing the waiting game. After a while if you hold out long enough Kirby will go aggro and try to get the kill. So just wait for mistakes and punish them.

Pivot grabs are your best friend, because if a Kirby approaches with bair you can pivot grab it and punish.

Also, don't get Kirbycided. That means do not try to fight Kirby offstage. You will lose.
No No No No No!!!!!!!!
NOOOO!!!!

1. Kirby will out camp the **** out of you. Almost as gay as wario when air camping. Eggs can and will be punished.
2. Yes you do have to be VERY PATIENT. The reason kirby is so good is because his camping game requires the oppoenent to be very patient, but you need to take advantage of EVERY mistake. Grabs are very not safe but imo are quite necessary. Dont let him bait ur pivot grabs, you can just run away instead, and maybe ETS once as he lands.
3. Dont get worried if hes up %. It happens. Dont go aggro. Keep playing patiently, else ur fallin for his trap. If you play smart you won't be fsmashed very much(even tho that move is really good), and his other kill moves are lack luster.
4. Dont get gimped. always recover with an airdodge.
5. Uair beats dair, onstage, do it.
6. Sometimes you can shield dairs, and then they try to grab, and you can spotdodge and punish. Shield dash attacks too, that move is really gay if used sparingly.

Hope this helps, the main thing is BE PATIENT!!!!!
Also, kirbycides arent too good, but if ur down a stock be wary, like chaco said.

Chaco

Never Logs In
No No No No No!!!!!!!!
NOOOO!!!!

1. Kirby will out camp the **** out of you. Almost as gay as wario when air camping. Eggs can and will be punished.
2. Yes you do have to be VERY PATIENT. The reason kirby is so good is because his camping game requires the oppoenent to be very patient, but you need to take advantage of EVERY mistake. Grabs are very not safe but imo are quite necessary. Dont let him bait ur pivot grabs, you can just run away instead, and maybe ETS once as he lands.
3. Dont get worried if hes up %. It happens. Dont go aggro. Keep playing patiently, else ur fallin for his trap. If you play smart you won't be fsmashed very much(even tho that move is really good), and his other kill moves are lack luster.
4. Dont get gimped. always recover with an airdodge.
5. Uair beats dair, onstage, do it.
6. Sometimes you can shield dairs, and then they try to grab, and you can spotdodge and punish. Shield dash attacks too, that move is really gay if used sparingly.

Hope this helps, the main thing is BE PATIENT!!!!!
Also, kirbycides arent too good, but if ur down a stock be wary, like chaco said.
Hmm, I always found camping worked pretty well IF you were smart about it.

@#6: Actually more commonly used is dair to fsmash. and it will **** you. So don't let them land the dair. Like Stocky said land the Uair.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
This matchup is really really strange.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Hmm, I always found camping worked pretty well IF you were smart about it.

@#6: Actually more commonly used is dair to fsmash. and it will **** you. So don't let them land the dair. Like Stocky said land the Uair.
Same. I just play ultra gay, running away and throwing eggs, pivot grabs when he get's too close for eggs, spotdodge downB when he tries a tilt or Fsmash, if he's Dairing at you Utilt they trade hits but it's better than getting hit with Dair to Fsmash from kirby (works too well on kirby if you ask me)

All in all, just camp....alot kirby has no "spammable" projectile. That's what I do anyway and it works out pretty well

D

Deleted member

Good Kirbys can camp in areas they cant be hit by eggs, and can punish them. I prefer uair to utilt, because if they still have jumps they can often bait the utilt and punish, but with uair(rising), it isnt punishable.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
I agree with burntsockz yes I took a match off of chu with camping but he caught on and won the set. The reason is because he figured out my camp pattern and started to out camp me. I tried to switch up my camp patterns but you can only do so much. I was trying to throw him off guard with pivot rolls, random Bairs, and for defense and a few empty SHs but he always seems to figure it out sooner or later.

D

Deleted member

The reason Chu Dat lost first round was because he wasnt camping. He was playin very aggressively and a little carelessly(probably not used to yoshis grab range and eggs).

Matchups arent based on opponenets not being firmiliar with your moves. They should know the matchup.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
That is true he was playing really careless and you are most likley right he doesn't know the match up.

Also that is the first time he played a good yoshi and that is the first time i played a really good kirby so we both had little match up experience.

BoJangles

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but watch out about relying on the jab close range. Kirby's recoil is to flatten, which, if hit by the first jab, puts him completely under the hitbox of the second jab. If the Kirby is on to this, he may try to retaliate with D-tilts.

The |Egg| Sniper

Smash Apprentice
Yoshi's also very susceptible to a 0-25% combo:

fthrow->fair(first hit)-> fthrow->possible extra fair.

Best to prepare for this if a Kirby goes offensive on you at 0. Keep your feet on the ground for this one, folks. Kirby's air game outdoes the Yoshster @_@ Usmash, grabs, and Ground Pound to try and escape attacks from below in the air (obviously, use this in only extreme circumstances in the air).

Not sure if this may help, but when they're not expecting it, maybe a reverse Egg Roll will catch them off guard in semi-close range? Considering they expanded where its hitboxes are, maybe it's of slight use in thsi match.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Yoshi actually doesn't get grab comboed.

You can jump immediately after the forward throw through whatever he has to throw at you.

The real killer here at 0% is down throw, to be honest. You're eating at least two up tilts before you can get out.

The |Egg| Sniper

Smash Apprentice
:yoshi: Yoshi actually doesn't get grab comboed.

You can jump immediately after the forward throw through whatever he has to throw at you.

The real killer here at 0% is down throw, to be honest. You're eating at least two up tilts before you can get out.
Really, I figured he could be grabbed out of it, but it makes sense now that I think about it. Thanks Shiri n_n

And yeah, the down throw is pretty nasty. @_@

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Wow, thanks for the info Shiri. So d-throw it is. ^.^

@ The Egg Sniper- Excuse me, are you otherwise known as Ryo Kasami?

MX778

Smash Journeyman
Spiking a Kirby is a no go and will most likely result in you getting gimped.
I beat falln in a Ladder Match on AllisBrawl and I found this out the hard way. :p

Killing Kirby with the U-air is your best bet in my opinion.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I have only played against one really very decent Kirby player and the matchup is extremely strange.

I have no idea how it's supposed to go or what to do or what to look out for besides the super obvious stuff.

I just do things and he does things and someone wins.

All I know is, for anybody who actually knows how to fight against Kirby very confidently, you can tell when your opponent doesn't know the matchup when they attempt to forward throw you. If, for some reason, you are hesitant about matchups until you know your opponent doesn't know how to play it, then let this be your limiter removal. Yoshi cannot get regrabbed out of a well-timed double jump (due to Kirby's height) and, at worst, you will eat an up air while you're going up.

I was supposed to put something else...

...oh yeah, Kirby's main form of actual mixing up (not whatever most of you describe as your little fake mixups) comes into play if you shield his down air. It's a really basic options triangle he has, but there aren't too many of those in this game, so just be watchful if you decide to shield his down air for whatever reason.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I quite like DJ tanking the uair from the fthrow and countering with Nair. <3

Anyways, this MU is really, really gay. Kirby's Fsmash is gay. His multiple jumps are gay. Lotsa gay. From my experience, it's really a boring MU, with you trying to force Kirby to mess up an approach and Kirby trying to find a hole in your defense. (inb4Yoshican'tcamp) For me, it's usually ended up with the Kirby kind of floating above and in front of Yoshi and Yoshi trying to avoid damage. It's just really dumb and slow. =/

Airborne

Smash Lord
his dair either outprioritizes or trades hits with our uair, depending on the situation, and he can follow up with another move... even trying to outrange his dair is ****ing hard. just saying that being beneath him is a no-go, unless you can space a good usmash or seven....

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
his dair either outprioritizes or trades hits with our uair, depending on the situation, and he can follow up with another move... even trying to outrange his dair is ****ing hard. just saying that being beneath him is a no-go, unless you can space a good usmash or seven....
Pivot Grab?

Top Bottom