• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi v. Mario

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: This is the thread for discussion on the Yoshi v. Mario matchup.

Metatitan

Smash Master
ew mario, uhm if he fireball spams use bair to try and fan them away, his cape is a pain but u can still camp him if ur careful. idunno ive only faced campy marios and it was a long time ago

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Fireball spam is definitely an issue in this matchup.

It leads to a myriad of Mario's ground and short aerial openings. Jabbing fireballs or using retreating back aerial to get them off you (standing back air may leave you open for something else) as Meta suggested is the best way to deal with them.

Definitely the biggest part of this matchup is Mario's tilt game. It's so good against characters like Yoshi and even the DI is hard to figure out sometimes. Up tilt is probably Mario's best move in this matchup, hands down (I think). It combos into everything (including itself) and just stops lots of stuff from Yoshi.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Nair cancel fire balls, into dtilt. It's a nice little thing, that confuses them if used sparingly.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
If the mario spaces properly, he can WoP you with Bair and it will tie, if not beat Yoshi's bair. It'll do more damage too, so it pretty much nullifies Yoshi's bair spam/approach. I played a Mario player (Stiltz) and what he did was alternate between fireballs and bairs. It was quite tricky...once he started doing that, I had a much more difficult time winning

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
I really don't agree with the old match up thread. It's definitely not an even one. If it were up to me, i'd put it t at 7:3 for Mario.

Let's look at Mario's fireballs.
-fireballs breaks all of yoshi's grab game
-breaks yoshi's egg tossing game
-breaks yoshi's double jump
-completely shuts down yoshi's ground game.

possible counters to fireballs?
-Back air? A real spammy mario will always short hop fireball. Sure you'd break maybe the first or second projectile, but upon landing you'll get hit by 3 more. Not only that, shorthopped fireballs can bounce on the ground and hit you from under your bair, giving mario the opportunity to advance and punish you. Bair can only work when you are real close to your opponent. That's the problem...it's impossible to get close.

-Jabs? same thing. may work when you are close....Never try to stop them at a distance.

-Shield? LOLOLOLOLOLOL There really is only one thing you can do in a shield against fireballs....and that's rolling away. If you don't get hit, the cycle just continues.

-Airdodge? Mario will downair you after. fireballs will hit. etc etc

-Grabbing the ledge? Every yoshi player loves egg camping on the ledge. Yoshi usually has many options. He can egg throw, egg lay, down air, back air, forward air, and if you really wanted to get away, you can double jump airdodge. Unfortunately, against mario....that's what you have to do. mario can hit you with fireballs when you are edgegrabbing. Be careful double jumping, mario can break it. If you try egg tossing, mario can continue throwing fireballs either breaking your eggs with them or caping when they come close. Using an aerial can result to mario caping you to a possible gimp. Best bet? get away from the ledge asap. double jump and airdodge. You'd still probably get hit either after your dodge, on the ground or even with more fireballs...but at least you got away from that edge.

-Full jump over fireballs? What are you going to do after? Try to back air? It just doenst work. Since mario will be spamming, he knows that you will not try to land in front or in back of him. That means, he knows that you will directly attack him. All he has to do, is wait until you do. Shield and counter.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Hi everyone, I played Elef last night and he won about 3 out of 75 matches last night and today combined, not including rage resets from cape and fireball gimps. I didn't really have any tips for him as I don't play Yoshi and the options he had were extremely limited by my fireball spam (I'm pretty decent with Fireballs). He couldn't do anything out of his shield because I could slowly advance and then punish anything he did; his shield is way too slow. His only options were to dodge which put him in a very disadvantageous position because of my aeriel and tilt game (Mario's Dair is BEAST).

As for edgeguarding, my cape just demolished him, and fireballs wrecked him on the edge. My jab also stops his double jump. I can land jab->downsmash freely on Yoshi because his shield is too slow to come up and he has no answer to it (and if I land a jab on the edge...forget it).

Please help my poor friend Elefterios. His cholesterol has been suffering as of late, and I fear he will have a heart attack out of rage if this keeps up. :(

bigman40

Smash Master
I really don't agree with the old match up thread. It's definitely not an even one. If it were up to me, i'd put it t at 7:3 for Mario.

Not agreeing with you. but I'll see what your reasons are.

Let's look at Mario's fireballs.
-fireballs breaks all of yoshi's grab game

True. I'll admit that they are annoying, but they have a downtime where you can attack. That should be your main focus to get a hit in.

-breaks yoshi's egg tossing game

Yoshi's egg toss is to be used from a distance where Mario won't be able to safely follow the fireball. If you're that close, you're going to get comboed.

-breaks yoshi's double jump

Fireball doesn't break it UNLESS you're doing an attack. I've gone through it at high percents, and the only move that has hit me out of my DJ is Mario's B-air.

-completely shuts down yoshi's ground game.

While this move gives us an annoyance, it is easy to ping out his fireball. Space F-tilts to ping them and say out of mario's range. If he's closing in too fast, then you need to just shield it. It doesn't shut down our game completely.

possible counters to fireballs?
-Back air? A real spammy mario will always short hop fireball. Sure you'd break maybe the first or second projectile, but upon landing you'll get hit by 3 more. Not only that, shorthopped fireballs can bounce on the ground and hit you from under your bair, giving mario the opportunity to advance and punish you. Bair can only work when you are real close to your opponent. That's the problem...it's impossible to get close.

No it's not. Mario can't throw out 3 fireballs as quick as you say cause as soon as he's done throwing a second one, the first one will begin to go away. Having it hit under you is bad, I'll admit that. However, the chances of that happening aren't that high cause you have to pick the right moment that it'll be coming upwards. Bair works when you swat away the fireballs, and at the same time, space against mario so that he can't counter unless he wants to get hit by a F-tilt. Not only that, but Usmash can limbo under fireballs and hit mario at the same time.

-Jabs? same thing. may work when you are close....Never try to stop them at a distance.

I don't use Jabs to stop fireballs so I can't comment here.

-Shield? LOLOLOLOLOLOL There really is only one thing you can do in a shield against fireballs....and that's rolling away. If you don't get hit, the cycle just continues. Only the most viable option when you are not going to be in a position to out range Mario.

The best option when Mario is closing in on you quickly and a fireball will give you enough hitstun to get comboed. If this isn't happening, then you don't need to shield (unless you have no time to sto pthe fireball).

-Airdodge? Mario will downair you after. fireballs will hit. etc etc

Expand on the etc. part. From looking at this part, it seems that you're trying to Airdodge past the fireball to get to Mario. This is exactly what he wants you to do lol. The fireball is to make you focus on that, so that Mario can punish whatever you do accordingly. This method isn't that good in nearly any scenario.

-Grabbing the ledge? Every yoshi player loves egg camping on the ledge. Yoshi usually has many options. He can egg throw, egg lay, down air, back air, forward air, and if you really wanted to get away, you can double jump airdodge. Unfortunately, against mario....that's what you have to do. mario can hit you with fireballs when you are edgegrabbing. Be careful double jumping, mario can break it. If you try egg tossing, mario can continue throwing fireballs either breaking your eggs with them or caping when they come close. Using an aerial can result to mario caping you to a possible gimp. Best bet? get away from the ledge asap. double jump and airdodge. You'd still probably get hit either after your dodge, on the ground or even with more fireballs...but at least you got away from that edge.

I'm gonna have to be the odd guy out and say that I don't really like camping the edge. Mario has enough tools to get you off of the edge, so you can't really camp there. The main thing you want is stage control (especially on platformed stages). Occasional ledge camping is fine as long as you don't do it with Mario close to the edge, or in a position to have a fireball fall to where you will get hit.

-Full jump over fireballs? What are you going to do after? Try to back air? It just doenst work. Since mario will be spamming, he knows that you will not try to land in front or in back of him. That means, he knows that you will directly attack him. All he has to do, is wait until you do. Shield and counter.

Only useful if you decide to egg lay him. You can Full Hop, and B-air him while you're falling (considering that you're spacing so that you don't get grabbed), but I don't use it so idk.
I'm willing to bet that if you play a Link, Falco, or ToonLink spammer, than you should never have as much problems as you're making it. Mario's fireballs are annoying, but they should never make it this much of a threat to any Yoshi player who knows when and where the time to attack is right.

Ghostflames

Smash Rookie
Ugh, I have lots of trouble with this matchup, I play a good mario frequently and I find that im usually just alittle short of beating him. I used to approach using bair, doesn't work out so well, so after awhile I found the most success just using SHAD (very carefully mind you) to approach, and attack up close with ftilt and dsmash. E-CE works occasionally, I refrain from using it often so they do not catch on, and of course dair for when they attempt to recover. This strategy might sound odd to some, or really really basic to others, but I'm no Scatz/Pride so don't expect me to be :p

(also, if anyone would pm me about strategy's against ness it would be greatly appreciated, these two characters i seem to have the most trouble against)

Chaco

Never Logs In
Suggest Ness as a match up revisit in the stickied match up thread.

TheFast

Smash Lord
Mario Vs Yoshi Is actual Kinda Even. Slightly Yoshi's Favor. Pivote grabs Kinda destroy his aproach but a good Mario can force you to approach. As was Stated Nair is Verry helpfull but use it carefully because a properly place bair can case trouble for a nair aproach. Also take a not of marios Down-smash range. A good Yoshi should never get inside of this range. If you can manage to stay right outside of it if gives you can great chance to land a hard to place forward smash. Between F-tilt, D-dilt, and Bair you should be able to stay about of this range while racking up damage. Against Mario Recover High. While he was originally named "Jumpman" hs jumps are suprisingly lacking. Recovering High will prevent any attempt at an edgegaurd (what little there is) but also makes an agressive Mario Approach. Seeing a falling Yoshi is not something alot of agressive players will pase up. How ever Yoshis falling game can outclass most of Mario's game. While falling your quick aerial speed should outclass any speed of Mario's (Mario's Run Speed Is Slower Than Bowser's). Alot of Yoshis Moves allow you to stop fire balls but the different paths that they can travel from Jumping, and moving forward and backwards makes it kinda tricky. Abuse Up air. Also Marios recovery isnt the best thing. Try to catch a sexy kick during his capes if you are feeling gutsy. You will get the hit even if he capes you and you will now be full speed DIing towards the Stage. So If you wanna take the 5% for a gimp or kill it can be a good idea. Hope this helped...

Nul

Smash Apprentice
It depends on what Mario you face, I face campy and aggro, more aggro.

Campy, more difficult, because hes got fireballs, cape, and FLUDD, these are the things I watch out for. Just Bair fireballs to tilt, or farther above the balls bair, try landing the first tail. If you camp eggs and he capes, you have to mindgame that, and use sparringly. FLUDD will hurt if he manages to get you to use your second jump already, egg toss may help you if he doesn't hop first.

Aggro, fairly easy actually IMO, they try to combo but you can do that better. Nair has helped me out of nearly against every air combo, Bair to Usmash/tilt can hurt them. The hardest combo to work against is Mario coming in with a dash attack, followed by a Side Smash, assuming you don't fly up.

Even though I'm a decent Mario (2nd main), I can't really say anything as far as Mario's side, because I'm the only yoshi around here. :/

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Fireballs are used primarily for setups and controlling approach. Anyway, you guys should at least let the Mario boards know that you're discussing the match-up.

BoJangles

Smash Journeyman
As for edgeguarding, my cape just demolished him, and fireballs wrecked him on the edge.
I took this out of context, but this part just got to me. Was Elef doing a rising air-dodge as he came back to stage? Because I can only imagine that he wasn't if you were able to score kills off of a cape.

If Yoshi does get hit by cape, he can always wavebounce an egg to come back at an (often times) even better angle.

That's all I have to say. I don't have too much Mario experience, so I don't have much more input.

TheFast

Smash Lord
It alway took me at LEAST 3 >_> dont think its gonna happen to much. Yoshi has to good of aerial speed and eggs and help him change its direction faster. If you are within Capeing range dont 2nd jump untill you get caped. This way he cant cape you during the start up and get a suprise kill. It should be avioded but if you do get caped use your aerial speed to make it back before the mario knows what happened. Also to camp mario better try to make your eggs hit the ground right in front of him so he will get hit by the explosion even if he capes. This works with wolfs reflector also. Also side be is a bad move to use against mario. He can use the cape you controll your movements with it and stay close waiting for the rather laggy pop out.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: This discussion should really move past gimping.

In actuality, either character has just as much of a chance to gimp the opponent as the other character does. That chance, in fact, turns out to be fairly small between two competent players. Yes, the gimp possibilities are there for both characters, but Mario letting you neutral air him while he's making a recovery or Yoshi letting you cape him while he's jumping isn't going to be the end of every stock in a set.

Besides, Mario has a lot more going for him in this matchup than gimps, which seems to be popular in his other matchups. He has a very strong onstage ground game in this matchup and I'm surprised more people aren't talking about what happens when Mario won't leave the ground and keeps hitting the A button. It can get very problematic for Yoshi in the same way that Snake can present problems.

Does anybody have any opinions on that?

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
i find this matchup a 50-50 or 55:45 in either ones way or the useage of Cp stages. It might be a campfest/pivot grab war.

mario I BELIEVE, his either his reverse upair, or nair , or bair will outprioritize yoshis bair. If not, then mario can jsut DI towards him with a Nair. As for yoshi's approachs, it's pretty much limited with marios pivot grab, awesome oos options. The same goes for mario since yoshis pivot grab game is there too.

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
well im gonna have a 20 dollar mm in the near future vs his mario and now in this days economy losing 20 dollars is alot, so can we go over some points in detail beside gimping. thank you

bigman40

Smash Master
Keep your distance when fighting Mario. Yoshi doesn't necessarily like being in his face, but Yoshi can still handle that spot. If Mario is going for the ordinary fireball approach, Bair both the Fireball and him at the same time. His Bair can and will beat out our Bair, so don't take on him when he's facing away (pivot grab, Usmash, or an angled Ftilt will work as a cover up). Don't attempt to kill until you've reached about 130%. Yoshi can't consistently kill anyone until they reach at about 140%, so keep a decent option of killing moves open.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
This weekend I beat Elef in the low tier tournament because my fireball game shut him down once again. He made the right counterpick on Brinstar but I was able to edge him out. Do you guys have any answers to heavy spam?

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Jabs and Egg Toss Sliding are the only things I can think of now.

I don't know if I'd be able to come up with anything else on the spot in the middle of a match.

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
jesus his bair goes through everything, fireballs lead to combos, cape can ****, grab combos

mario is a very underrated character and I would put this match in his advantage

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
The thing is, it is very easy to gimp him.

I'm not kidding. N-air just owns him, and d-air works extremely well, too.

Heck, I sometimes managed to jump OVER Mario while he is recovering, trick him into up-B'ing early (which forces him to try to grab the ledge), and then edge-hog him. (Won't work all the time, but it is something to consider)

Oh, and Mario can't kill except with his f-smash. If you can DI properly, not even a up-smash will kill Yoshi until 150%. He can't effectively gimp Yoshi either because Yoshi can just DJAD or recover outside of Mario's range.

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
Mario can cape your edgeguarding aerials, he can throw fireballs returning onstage, his up b has priority over every one of yoshi's aerials, mario can reflect yoshi's eggs, fireball spam shuts yoshi's ground game, and in the air mario's aerials have priority/range over yoshi's.

what advantages does yoshi have? why is it still 50-50?

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Only Mario's b-air has priority over Yoshi's other aerials. Other than his u-air, it's really his only good aerial. If Mario is in the air and is facing Yoshi, he's a sitting duck. Otherwise, you are right. His b-air is really good.

Yoshi also has more kill options than Mario. As I've said earlier, Mario can only reliably kill with his f-smash and up-smash. Yoshi has up-smash, f-smash, u-air, and Yoshi Bomb. Mario's kill options are a bit stronger than most of Yoshi's, though.

Fireball spam is not a problem with Yoshi. Yoshi can simply swat them away with his b-air and approach at the same time. When he is close to Mario, he has the bigger advantage because his ground moves are quicker and he has his pivot-grab. You are right about Fireballs stopping Yoshi's ground game, though.

There's a reason why I mentioned using n-air to edge-guard Mario. Since the hitbox is all around Yoshi, as long as you are not moving to fast towards him it will still hit him even if he capes. Same with d-air. But Mario can easily up-B through those attacks.

There reason why this match-up is neutral, is because while Yoshi has more options to fight against Mario, Mario has better options to fight against Yoshi.

D

Deleted member

Yoshi cant effectively handle a fireball approach. Bair isnt always safe, and if you bair him when he FH fireballs, he can do a falling uair and combo you out of it.

He isnt gimpbable, unless he plays stupid or hes reaaally far out.
He out prioritizes yoshi a lot of the time and has faster all-purpose aerials.

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
well i dont find this match up as hard as some others but mario will short hopping ALOT- bairs walls, fireballs, dairs, nairs. so try to keep him from jumping (ground game is dangerous too). i find full hopping airealsto be helpful to counter fireballs in the mid range battles, predict short hopp aireal full hope a dair, maybe even bair or nair. in close range jabing is faster then all his moves. all his aireals can be pivot grabbed, just make just ur not far enough that he can use a fireball to punish a pivot grab.

mario
pro's
- can combo well
-good edge gaurding game
-fireballz are verstile projectile, camp, lead into combos, edgeguard, recovery, approach
-grab game is pretty good
-good air/short hop approaches
cons
-has trouble killing
-weak recovery
-no ground approaches (correct me if im wrong)
-not much range(cept bair, fsmash, dsmash)

yoshi
pro's
- good air game
- bair can go throw fireballs and combo well (puts mario in a bad position, above yoshi)
-pivot grab outranges aireals (careful for fireballs in far range)
- more range tilt range (not counting aireals)
- can edgegaurd
-nair can stop tilt to aireal combos

cons
-fireballz are hard to deal with
-horrible shield game (worst postion for yoshi)
-can be comboed pretty easily
-marios bair has prioty pain and range

bad positions (testing a new type of match up help)
close range shielding- this will get u destroyed as u want to avoid this positions at all cost, can lead to comboes, grabs, just alot of pain. worst position
when its coming- fire ball approach makes this happen alot more then it should, ets when u see/predict this coming. dair approach can make this happen not as well as fireball approaches.
how to stop it- absrob hit and roll, spot dodging (they are not good options but hte best u have)

recovering- a can range form not a threat to bad. depending if u recovering low which is bad or high which isnt a threat.
when its coming- if u get fsmash and live ull be pretty high which wont be too much of a problem. if u get dsmashed ull be recovering from mid to low.
how to stop it- recovering high u just gotta be careful not to do sumthing stupid. expect somefireballs on ur landing u dotn want to be close to mario. recovering mid to low is bad because u have a more direct and predictable path if u wanna get to the ledge. basically u want to get to the ledge fast and use eggs to stop him from precidting and sutff.

i might add more later

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
well i dont find this match up as hard as some others but mario will short hopping ALOT- bairs walls, fireballs, dairs, nairs. so try to keep him from jumping (ground game is dangerous too). i find full hopping airealsto be helpful to counter fireballs in the mid range battles, predict short hopp aireal full hope a dair, maybe even bair or nair. in close range jabing is faster then all his moves. all his aireals can be pivot grabbed, just make just ur not far enough that he can use a fireball to punish a pivot grab.

mario
pro's
- can combo well
-good edge gaurding game
-fireballz are verstile projectile, camp, lead into combos, edgeguard, recovery, approach
-grab game is pretty good
-good air/short hop approaches
cons
-has trouble killing
-weak recovery
-no ground approaches (correct me if im wrong)
-not much range(cept bair, fsmash, dsmash)

yoshi
pro's
- good air game
- bair can go throw fireballs and combo well (puts mario in a bad position, above yoshi)
-pivot grab outranges aireals (careful for fireballs in far range)
- more range tilt range (not counting aireals)
- can edgegaurd
-nair can stop tilt to aireal combos

cons
-fireballz are hard to deal with
-horrible shield game (worst postion for yoshi)
-can be comboed pretty easily
-marios bair has prioty pain and range

bad positions (testing a new type of match up help)
close range shielding- this will get u destroyed as u want to avoid this positions at all cost, can lead to comboes, grabs, just alot of pain. worst position
when its coming- fire ball approach makes this happen alot more then it should, ets when u see/predict this coming. dair approach can make this happen not as well as fireball approaches.
how to stop it- absrob hit and roll, spot dodging (they are not good options but hte best u have)

recovering- a can range form not a threat to bad. depending if u recovering low which is bad or high which isnt a threat.
when its coming- if u get fsmash and live ull be pretty high which wont be too much of a problem. if u get dsmashed ull be recovering from mid to low.
how to stop it- recovering high u just gotta be careful not to do sumthing stupid. expect somefireballs on ur landing u dotn want to be close to mario. recovering mid to low is bad because u have a more direct and predictable path if u wanna get to the ledge. basically u want to get to the ledge fast and use eggs to stop him from precidting and sutff.

i might add more later
yoshi
pro's
- good air game (mario has a better airgame.)
- bair can go throw fireballs and combo well (puts mario in a bad position, above yoshi) (not reliable enough. even if you are close enough to mario, he can easily shield your bair. Mario isn't in a bad position over yoshi, his downair has is fast, has a lot of priority, and cannot be spot dodged....)
-pivot grab outranges aireals (careful for fireballs in far range) (yep you said it, fireball spam. if you get hit by 1 fireball you get comboed. mario has still the advantage there.)
- more range tilt range (not counting aireals) (what's the point? you'd have to go through all of the fireballs before even thinking of using tilts.)
- can edgegaurd (not as well as you might think. mario can cape jumping fair, and mario's up b out prioritizes yoshi's dair.)
-nair can stop tilt to aireal combos (nair can stop up tilt combos, but a smart mario would shield it when he sees it coming. in the air, best case senario, yoshi can exchnage hits with his nair.)

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Fireball spam is not a problem with Yoshi. Yoshi can simply swat them away with his b-air and approach at the same time. When he is close to Mario, he has the bigger advantage because his ground moves are quicker and he has his pivot-grab. You are right about Fireballs stopping Yoshi's ground game, though.
Actually Mario's ground options are faster:

-Dsmash = 5 frames

-Fsmash = 15 frames

-Usmash = 10 frames

-Jab = 2 frames

-Ftilt = 5 frames

-Dtilt = 5 frames

-Utilt = 5 frames

-Cape = 12 frames

Sry I didn't include cooldown time, but if you really want it I could probably get it for you. Also, fireballs are used mainly for controlling approach and for setups, not just for spam.

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
Actually Mario's ground options are faster:

-Dsmash = 5 frames

-Fsmash = 15 frames

-Usmash = 10 frames

-Jab = 2 frames

-Ftilt = 5 frames

-Dtilt = 5 frames

-Utilt = 5 frames

-Cape = 12 frames

Sry I didn't include cooldown time, but if you really want it I could probably get it for you. Also, fireballs are used mainly for controlling approach and for setups, not just for spam.
yoshi's ground frames

-Dsmash = 5 frames

-Fsmash = 13 frames

-Usmash = 10 frames( hitting from behind yoshi)

-Jab = 2 frames

-Ftilt = 5 frames

-Dtilt = 7 frames

-Utilt = 7 frames

-egglay = 17 frames

not much of a difference

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
You forgot Yoshi Bomb, YoshiIslander. I believe that comes out in... 6 frames?

EDIT: And I thought that Yoshi's d-smash came out in 6 frames, not 5...

EDIT: And I also that that Yoshi's jab took 3 frames, not 2...

Top Bottom