• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link's Match-up Discussion #30 - Captain Falcon

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Captain Falcon

Ratio: 70:30 Toon Link

Synopsis:
Coming like...when you believe.

Onward!

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
It's as bad as the Sonic/DTilt matchup huh?

There's gonna be something Falcon has to make the matchup better than that.

He's pretty fast to get around those there projectiles I think.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I came into this thread thinking it was Melee CF and I'm like "No, were ****ed!".
Then I remembered it was Brawl and calmed down.

As far as match up.... >_<

You can Dair at the edge to spike him as he is trying to recover sometimes because Falcon's Up-B doesn't sweetspot the edge from certain angles.

Spammmm.

Umm.
Zairrrrrr.

Uhh.

NAIR QUICK DRAW HELL YEAH.

._.

I scared to give anything in detail because I'm a nub and have no experience at this game. =3

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
60:40. seriously. captain falcon can block all incoming arrows + boomerang from tink with his jab and the bombs are pretty easy to navigate around. captain falcon does have some air advantage on toon link with proper spacing. bair from tink and the suprise bow canceling arrow thing after aerials does **** if you forget to jab block em. yeah, people are gonna think im crazy for saying falcon has a good match up against tink or that i have no idea what im talking about, but my friend is a tink main and he places high in tournies (better than me since i usually go all falcon). maybe you guys wont think im so crazy as soon as i get some competitive vids up of me playing.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
*mans up enough to try to help*
*sighhhhhh*
Forgive my lack of knowledge.
Obviously in TL's Favor. Maybe like 70-30. I can't even imagine what CF can do to TL.

Approaching: Falcon should usually be forced into approaching due to TL's projectiles. I don't even know what Falco's approach with. T___T Probably Nair. Well, if its Nair, it auto cancels. So you should just,,, punish him before he grabs you after he uses Nair.

Getting gimped: Falcon has a spike, don't get spiked. blah blah blah. Shouldn't be hard with TL's recovery options.

Gimping: "You can Dair at the edge to spike him as he is trying to recover sometimes because Falcon's Up-B doesn't sweetspot the edge from certain angles."

Grabbing: Shield grabbing any of CF's attacks that isn't Nair should be really easy.

Approaching CF: Just approach with whatever you see fit. =/
Nothing really special that can screw you over.

>_>
*feels like a jerk for not knowing CF stuff and posting about it anyway*

Wogrim

Smash Lord
60:40. seriously. captain falcon can block all incoming arrows + boomerang from tink with his jab and the bombs are pretty easy to navigate around. captain falcon does have some air advantage on toon link with proper spacing. bair from tink and the suprise bow canceling arrow thing after aerials does **** if you forget to jab block em. yeah, people are gonna think im crazy for saying falcon has a good match up against tink or that i have no idea what im talking about, but my friend is a tink main and he places high in tournies (better than me since i usually go all falcon). maybe you guys wont think im so crazy as soon as i get some competitive vids up of me playing.
Yes his projectiles are pretty avoidable, but TL's got a few moves (like BAir and NAir) that are far from bad, and his size in conjunction with those hitboxes' disjointedness prevents him from being that easy.

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
60:40 65:35 Tink's advantage.

Oh, and I've played Tinks. I have nightmares of tinks running around all day loooooooooooooooooooong.

Hyrulian Royalty, Near, SailingDreamer, and many others... Gawd I hate tink, theres too many of em.

Anyways, Falcon KYICK clashes with the boomerang and arrows, Falcon Dive can grab you out of some of your aerials *even your dair, if tink isn't directly above us*, and Tink's lightness helps falcon's KO power.

But you got stuff to toss at him, so thats why falcon has a tough time. At least its not lasers that you can't clash with... XD

Plus zair is a safe move for tink, as well as his exceedingly annoying nair.

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
im not sure how, or what i did, but i remember clanking/clashing/whatever you call it when two moves collide(collision lolz) with tink's zair.

oOJaseOo

Smash Ace
Ooooooooo yay iv got of exp in this match up :p

If you wanna live you gotta learn how to tech
His up b aint that easy to spike cause he can make it zig zag
get hit by his falcon punch and you may aswell just throw your controller away
his up tilt is nasty and be careful about tether recovering it will get you
dsmash gimp can work well with decent mindgames after you've got him drop off and throw a rang at him for the gimp make sure its after his jump tho
erm when he's pressureing you nair zair and the wat not
ibomb works wonders
carefull with him cause i dont know about the other falcons but the one i go against allways goes for over kill and will get it if you dont throw a bomb or sumin example watch rebaz
he has a nasty jab cancel which lets him grab you
and spamming doesnt rlly work because of his speed and the jab is best to mix up your ariels with camping
oh and one last thing this is the most important never underestimate a falcon i dont care if he's bottom tier and your marth/toon link/metaknight/snake/ anyone with a sword or projectiles cause the stuff iv seen happen to some of the players my friend has beaten made them drop there controller and cry (no joke one guy did just drop his controller and cry after his rob got 3 stocked by falcon ^^)

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
You cant must have been dreaming about it.
:)
probably. XD ill have to watch the replay. im going to my friend's training ground thing this saturday so ill find out if its fiction or not. or maybe it was a boomerang or arrow. so...many...projectiles o_O

Face124

Smash Ace
Edinburgh. Pm for a Brawl and I'll get back to you
*mans up enough to try to help*
*sighhhhhh*
Forgive my lack of knowledge.
Obviously in TL's Favor. Maybe like 70-30. I can't even imagine what CF can do to TL.

Yup, pretty much lol.

Approaching: Falcon should usually be forced into approaching due to TL's projectiles. I don't even know what Falco's approach with. T___T Probably Nair. Well, if its Nair, it auto cancels. So you should just,,, punish him before he grabs you after he uses Nair.

N-air isn't Falcon's greatest approach, I think it tends to be B-air, U-air and SH ADs.

Getting gimped: Falcon has a spike, don't get spiked. blah blah blah. Shouldn't be hard with TL's recovery options.

Gimping: "You can Dair at the edge to spike him as he is trying to recover sometimes because Falcon's Up-B doesn't sweetspot the edge from certain angles."

Grabbing: Shield grabbing any of CF's attacks that isn't Nair should be really easy.

N-air's range isn't good, B-air has more and so does U-air. I dunno what Tl can or can't shieldgrab though.

Approaching CF: Just approach with whatever you see fit. =/
Nothing really special that can screw you over.

>_>
*feels like a jerk for not knowing CF stuff and posting about it anyway*
ibomb works wonders
http://news.cnet.com/5208-1029_3-0.html?forumID=1&threadID=15976&messageID=137110&start=-1

Yes, great for scaring burglars and potentially destroying their faces.

Do the falcon mains forget this thread?:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=211628

I'm surprised no-one made reference. Despite Rebaz' epicness, this is a bad matchup. I'd agree with 70-30, it isn't impossible, but we got nothing. I find U-tilts and N-airs great for spacing, and RB can beat some more SH happy TLs. D-air chains are real easy on this guy, I would recommend sometimes a direct dash grab approach, or on SD happy ones, AC N-air grab approaches.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
CF's you cant really confirm all this is true until we get RJPunch in this thread to give his "final words" :p

lol im jkn. but yeah Falcon will get owned by spacing by a good TL player

Player-3

Smash Hero
CF's you cant really confirm all this is true until we get RJPunch in this thread to give his "final words" :p

lol im jkn. but yeah Falcon will get owned by spacing by a good TL player
quite.

first post i made was sarcasm because some people on the cf boards get all
OH **** HE CAN THROW STUFF, ITS IMPOSSIBLE FISDAFHDKLABEWKALFDKLSAFNKDLSANFKLDSANFKLLANKFLDA
>_>

65:45 IMO tink isnt that bad to beat, of course if you ever see the current way i play falcon you guys will explode your heads going

what the hell, this guys insane..

so dont trust me..

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
idunno if you guys know a guy named Raidos but I play his Tink fairly frequently. He knocked out Niko at LBT.......and i knocked Raidos out at OiN4

just to give you guys an idea of skill. I don't want to get too in-depth but

Raidos likes to always have a bomb, and use airdodge Zair to space and the bomb to prevent me from running, it's pretty dumb, the only way around it is if you use your speed to rush a spacing Tink. However, I don't know if that's how most Tink's play, he does the usual Bair/Nair/Fair bullcrap with his boomerang ALWAYS out. But the key to Falcon winning is using his speed to rush Tink

still, Falcon has little on Tink

75:25

note that this comes from a well placing Falcon at major tournaments (you can review my scores on the tournament thread if your curious)

OniTheWolf

Smash Journeyman
Cripple his manliness with your projectiles xD! Quickdraw and ZAir are your best friends. I believe C.Falcon is prone to BAir chains.? Anyways, Your best killing options are ZAir to kill move follow ups (Ftilt, NAir, USmash, in some situations FSmash), grinding up damage and killing him with a simple NAir or FAir, or against those players who use side B to recover....punish them with DAir! Against those rollers, use Utilt or Up B:) If you are fighting a less-experianced Captain Jay Dougla Falcon user, you can get away with a simple FSmash at high percents. However, SHDA, ZAir, Nair, Up B, Quickdraw, Boomerangs, and BAir chains are a must!

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I'm amazed no one has said this yet.

Simply remind the Falcon player that they're playing Brawl. They'll get up and leave to play Melee.

You win by default.

100:0 Toon Link. Best of show.

Anyway...I guess that's it. ._.

OniTheWolf

Smash Journeyman

Simply remind the Falcon player that they're playing Brawl. They'll get up and leave to play Melee.

You win by default.

Sorry C.F, No wavedash or hitstun for you :D

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
60-40
i always use falcon because he is teh sex and i like fighting little critters like tink :]
jab blocks projectiles except bombs which are pretty easy to dodge, jab grab works well as well as nair cancel jab grab, tilts work well in this match up.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
I usually try to get in front of toon link when I play him as Falcon. I think Falcon's bair comes out faster than TL's fair, I use it a lot in this matchup. And Falcon Dive ***** dair spamming if they aren't directly above you. But yeah bad matchup I agree with everyone else's numbers.

eRonin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
eRonin
3DS FC
3969-5180-1975
copy pasted from what I posted on the other thread

Don't you guys know what Captain Falcon can do to young children...
OH WAIT this is a toon child, not a young child, so I guess Falcon can't do anything.

I dunno though, Toon Link's projectiles aren't as good as others (I think...) so Falcon might be able to hold out. In terms of close combat then, Captain Falcon seems to have more range but Toon Link's grab range is long-ish so that would probably be the main worry...

I would say Tlink 70-30 CF

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Some Falcon mains should play me on Wifi so I can get a feel for the match up and write down my thoughts? ^__^;

(this should become a regular thing)

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
Uh, I detest playing on wifi, because i kill myself more than anything (input lag)
as long as you dont count the sd's i guess i can.

TLMarth

Smash Ace
I usually try to get in front of toon link when I play him as Falcon. I think Falcon's bair comes out faster than TL's fair, I use it a lot in this matchup. And Falcon Dive ***** dair spamming if they aren't directly above you. But yeah bad matchup I agree with everyone else's numbers.
For in front of us we use nair

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord

You win by default.

...or wait another 4 years for a new, balanced version of Smash Bros.:laugh:

*sigh* ...four years...:urg:

Tiersr4Queers

Smash Apprentice
I came into this thread thinking it was Melee CF and I'm like "No, were ****ed!".
Then I remembered it was Brawl and calmed down.

As far as match up.... >_<

You can Dair at the edge to spike him as he is trying to recover sometimes because Falcon's Up-B doesn't sweetspot the edge from certain angles.

Spammmm.

Umm.
Zairrrrrr.

Uhh.

NAIR QUICK DRAW HELL YEAH.

._.

I scared to give anything in detail because I'm a nub and have no experience at this game. =3
ugh, YOU DO Have experience quit being so negative :(

Top Bottom