• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

D-Throw tech chase

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
Hey guys... I was messing around with Sheik yesterday and I found out that you can tach chase her D-Throw (kinda).

Just simply slam them to the floor and wait. If they attack you when coming down then sheild and repeat the chase. If the jump up then they aren't in a better position. <.< If DI away then chase after them.

When I chase after them I always run, hold shield (you slide some) and after they attack I regrab.

You can also hit them with Fair at high percents which lines them back up for another grab if you fast fall and dash foward.

Now.. I wouldn't make a stradegy out of this... but it is nice to mix it into your meta game. I prefer to do it about three time the f-tilt lock, or do combos and put this in there to keep them guessing.

All and all... I have found it to be quite useful in the past day.

ps.. Sorry if this is already known.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
The thing with a chain this weak is that once you perform it once the enemy will know and you won't be able to do it again.

For example, I can grab someone, pummel a few times and let them slide away then Boostgraband do it again, (sometimes I can chain 3 grabs) but after that they learn and DI. If it's not a chaingrab, it just a grab.

However, it was good that you brought up the point of following up throws. Sheik's options here haven't really been explored.

cutter

Smash Champion
This isn't a techchase at all. Sheik's Dthrow tosses your opponent high into the air.

A techchase is when a move like GW's Dthrow literally slams you into the ground so you are forced to techroll away (or buffer roll if you miss the tech), then you predict the direction of their techroll and you get a free attack.

FrozenFire13

Smash Ace
This isn't a techchase at all. Sheik's Dthrow tosses your opponent high into the air.

A techchase is when a move like GW's Dthrow literally slams you into the ground so you are forced to techroll away (or buffer roll if you miss the tech), then you predict the direction of their techroll and you get a free attack.
^This. Sheik's Dthrow gives the opponent too many options for this to be anything near a tech chase. I'm just agreeing to the definition objection. Over all, it's not a bad idea, just as long as you keep the opponent on their toes with it, instead of becoming predictable.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
just as long as you keep the opponent on their toes with it, instead of becoming predictable.
Which is why I said to use it as a mix.

I have poped people up into the air and they Nair or something thinking that I'll pursue. Then I just regrab them.

In the same sense I have also grabbed and regrabbed them maybe three times. They get thrown up and I pursue when they aren't exspecting it.

This technique is ONLY good as a mix or at 0 damage when they don't go up as far.

ps I called it a tech chase cause IDK what else to call it. I know it's not a true tech chase... but it has a similar aspect (throwing, predicting, regrabbing). So that is why I called it that. The only thing that I think is simmilar to this is maybe Marth's U-Throw in Melee. <.<

Oh and one more thing. When you say that they learn and DI... do you mean like really far away cause you can still get them if they DI left or right. They either have to be at KO %'s or they use thier second jump.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I discussed the positional advantages of dthrow back in July. People will eventually catch on and escape, though I can't say shielding right under their landing spot isn't a strong tactic.

The problem is that "chaingrabbing" this way is slow and the damage incurred is a lot less than it might seem. If you can intimidate them into airdodging toward the ground, it's far better to punish with an ftilt at lower %s, and a charged smash (dsmash if you're not good at timing, usmash if they airdodge early letting you catch them with the tipper hit, fsmash if you're feeling lucky) at higher %s, though at higher %s this will lose its potency.

The dthrow is also good for seeing the opponent's DI habits, which you can then abuse with fthrow or bthrow at a future time for a guaranteed followup.

Not very useful against Meta Knight, obviously, since he has five jumps and a really good dair to go with them.

stealth3654

Smash Lord
This also works with the forward throw. If they air dodge after they are thrown, it's pretty much a guaranteed grab.

MaxDeUh

Smash Journeyman
I noticed this awhile ago. I pull it off usually once a match. I always say to myself, "Sheik's grab-game is ****".

Top Bottom