• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 'How to deal with specific enemy moves' thread. Discussion#6: Diddy's Bananas

Nikenick

Smash Journeyman
I've been thinking about making this thread for a while, and now the time has finally come.

Amost every character has a certain move that's either good or just easily spammable. This thread is made to discuss those moves and to give advice about how to deal with them. We won't be discussing just 1 character here, but all kinds of characters.

Since the Pit boards need to be more active, this thread won't **** around. We'll have a new discussion every single week so I'm expecting Everyone to contribute. Please, do contribute and don't just lurk around. All posts will be appreciated and everybody's opinion will count.

Schedule:

none at all, no suggestions.

A discussion will end whenever I feel like everything got discussed.

Current Discussion:

Discussion #6: Diddy's down B:The Banana

Diddy Kong's self made item, it makes you trip and he can combo you very easily. But how do you handle them?

Discuss!

Nikenick

Smash Journeyman
Discussion #1: Metaknight's Neutral B - The Mach Tornado

As you might not know, Metaknight’s tornado gets more priority if he presses B while he’s using Mach Tornado. This means that while he’s rising in the air, most attacks that would normally cancel his tornado won’t work. This also means that a grounded tornado has more priority if the Metaknight taps B. Knowing this, I’m going to make 2 sections:
-Grounded tornado without pressing B ( will last shorter )
- Airborne tornado with pressing B

An airborne tornado is obviously the hardest to deal with, since the only way you can hit him out of that is to jump. That’d mean that you can’t shield the nado anymore, since you’re in the air. A Metaknight will get more ending lag if his nado ends in the air though, so don’t expect him to go in the air every time.

- A grounded Tornado without pressing B

Shield it. It sounds very basic, but whenever the MK is using tornado very close to you so have too less time to counter it with an attack, it’s the best option. When you are shielding the attack you may be tempted to try and roll or spot dodge. Don't. There are frames of vulnerability present when letting down your shield and its likely that the nado will hit you during those frames. It's for this same reason that angel ring can't be rolled out of easily. Also if MKs try and shieldpoke you from the top then you can move your shield upwards (or wherever) and cover yourself better. A Grounded tornado has 28 frames of ending lag, that means that you got less then 0.5 seconds to get an attack in. So after shielding, either rush in if he’s not to far away or just stay away from him or you’ll eat a dsmash.

Pit's pivot grab has great range and is useful for grabbing MK out of tornado. As you probably know you run away from the tornado, and when he’s chasing you, tap back and grab. The timing is hard, and you might take 1% damage if you try doing so, but if you can pull this off then you should go for it. It's totally worth it.

Ftilt will either cancel the tornado or hit Metaknight out of it, it all depends on where you hit him, if you hit him with the tip of your blades then you’ll hit him out of it and if you hit him anywhere else then both attacks will cancel. Ftilt is only a bit slow so a Metaknight might predict it and stay away from it’s range.

Fsmash
will cancel the tornado. It’s faster then ftilt but it has less horizontal range, making it harder to hit with it. It’s not a recommended move.

Dsmash will also cancel a nado. But just like the fsmash, it’s so hard to hit with that you shouldn’t use this move to cancel a tornado.

Nair is a great move to hit a MK out of his tornado, but you need to hit him at a certain spot or the hitboxes will just collide. You need to hit him in the middle, or else you’ll take the damage because a tornado lasts longer. The timing isn’t that hard but I’d recommend to practise it before you use this in battle.

Dair will hit Metaknight out of his tornado but it’s impossible to pull off. I’ve only done it once, it’s way too hard and it actually shouldn't be mentioned.

Dtilt cancels a tornado. Since it has more horizontal range then a dsmash it’s better but you still got beter alternatives.

Wingdash
actually cancels a tornado, but you should practise the timing. It works really well and I’d recommend to use this. It’s the easiest to pull off once you get the timing right, and since you’ll get no or almost no ending lag, you won’t get punished if the Metaknight decides to retreat.

Mirror shield will reverse the attack while your shield is shining. This is one of the better ways to just 'avoid' a tornado but the shield has some start up lag. Don't pull out your shield too soon because you'll get hit once the 'shining animation' is done.

A charged arrow will hit Metaknight out of his tornado. This is by far the best thing you can do but you probably wont have enough time to charge it. But if you can, charge an arrow and hit him.
It should also be noted that an uncharged arrow can hit Metaknight from above, so if you’re looping an arrow you should go for the hit.

Jumping can be effective against a tornado as well. If you jump while he’s approaching you, he obviously wont be able to hit you. But he’ll be under you if the tornado ends, and you don’t want to be under a Metaknight.

Going offstage is a good alternative since he probably wont chase you there. But make sure that you’re close to the ledge or else you’ll get gimped.

Dash Attack hits Meta knight out of his Tornado, and the timing isn't that hard.

Angel Ring can only collapse with a Tornado if you're doing the move already when Meta Knight is using Tornado. The Meta Knight has to be very stupid to fall for this, so don't use it :bee:

Special thanks to Aish for testing this out with me.

- An airborne Tornado

SHNair still works, and Ftilt does too. But your options are limited whenever Meta Knight goes airborne. The best thing to do is to shield it now, or going offstage works as well. Meta Knight will go in freefall mode after he's airborne, so punish him.
If you get caught:

If you somehow get caught in the tornado, the best thing to do is to DI upward. The last hit of the tornado has the most knockback, so try to DI out of the tornado before the tornado ends. If the Tornado ends and you're still pretty close to the Metaknight ( who's in freefall mode), you should use your Wings of Icarus, 'divebomb' and punish him with a dair or fair.
Keep in mind that Metaknight's ending lag is weird.
Quote from the Metaknight boards:
Cooldown: this is interesting. Cooldown will ALWAYS be 29 frames. Landing lag adjusts to this. So if your nado ends in midair and you free fall for 10 frames your landing lag will be 19 frames. The botched up landing is 30 frames.
This makes the Tornado even more broken, but you should try and punish him. The Ending lag isn't much, so don't underestimate it. If you run up to him and you're too late then you'll eat a dsmash, the safest thing to do to punish him is probably to shoot an arrow.

You might think, why should I use put myself at risk if I can just shield the attack? First off all, a tornado ***** your shield, and you need your shield to block all those other nasty attacks. Secondly, while Metaknight is using his tornado he'll be tapping B + left or right. Meaning if you cancel it, he'll drill rush automaticly. I've actually made a Metaknight kill himself because he wasn't expecting me to cancel his tornado so he drill rushed offstage. And yes I'm aware that a drill rush can be pointed upwards to avoid this but this will still put him in freefall mode.

Discussion #2: Game and Watch's Bair - The Turtle

This move has AMAZING priority, it goes through almost anything that Pit has. Your arrows are useless against this move. One of the best options is Shielding this move, but watch out that your shield doesn't becomes too small, or else he can shield poke you.

If Game and Watch doesn't spaces this move right, you can try and Shieldgrab him. Any good player would space this move right though, trying to shieldgrab a perfectly spaced bair will get you punished.

Your Mirror shield can reverse this move, leaving Game and Watch open for any attacks. When you Mirror shield this move, rush in punish him.

Quote from the G&W boards:
GW pulls out a turtle with formidable range behind him. This move multi hits with the last hit knocking away. Also upon landing another hitbox is released.
That's why it's kind of hard to punish this move, you should short hop fair instead of running into him and then trying to punish. I'd really recommend fair to punish since it has a large horizontal hitbox.

Other then that there isn't much that Pit can do against this broken move. That's why this is a bad matchup for Pit, but it's still possible to win this.

If you get caught in the bair SDI upwards to escape the last few hits and then you should dair to punish him.

Discussion #3: Marth's Side B - The Dancing Blade

This move can be aimed in 3 directions, the first hitbox is on frame 4, and it makes Marth move forward a bit.

Marth will mostly use this move to punish you after a perfect shield. If he perfect shields and uses this move, you probably won’t be able to shield it so you’ll have to DI smart.

How to DI:
If you get hit when you’re close to him, DI to Marth and up. If you’re not close to him, DI away from Marth and up. DI’ing will prevent you from getting hit by the down variant, which does the most damage. Marth can use his up variant to hit you when you’re DIing up though, so be aware of that.

If you manage to shield this move, you can either wait after the 3rd hit and then shieldgrab him or you can wait until all the 4 hits and then punish him (Dtilt, fsmash, basicly anything). Be aware that you can get shieldpoked if you wait for all the 4 hits.

Be careful if the Marth doesnt perform all the sequences or somewhat "Slows Down" the Dancing blade sequences for a chance to break your Shield.

Discussion #4: Olimar's Ground Game

You can’t just stand there and shoot arrows against Olimar, since his Pikmin will stop our arrows. You will be the one doing the approaching in this match up, but that’s harder then you think since Pit has less range than Olimar.

Simple, zone him with minimum lag Fairs and jabs, try to get him above you. SHAD utilt should work, or if theyre mind is set on something take advantage. That was extremely general and ill elaborate.

As you probably know many players have played brawl for hours. They are use to the mechanics and probably moveset and speed of characters. Olimars in the case will see you jump, most likely shield and react to you lag with grabs at low percents, like majority of players. If you jump, theyre thinking okay im going to shield grab, or okay im going to pivot grab. In the event of a shield, if you fast fall utilt, you completely destroy set encoded time patterns the olimar has remembered catching them offguard with an attack 6 frames later when usually you would be in the air. 6 frames because utilt takes 2 and normal landing lag in melee was 4 frames so correct me if im wrong.
This has worked hundreds of times for me adding 16% damage than an applicable followup, preferably uair. The chance of succeeding with this is higher than not succeeding, so its useful to a degree since (1)people havent seen this before. (2)If used at right moments people wont adapt so quickly because it is so out of the ordinary.
This is the same reason, full hop attack, jump WoI, attack works. Basically screws up timing.

O forgot.... If you see them try to pivot grab DI back, if u zone correctly you shouldnt get grabbed.
Rogue is amazing, I just had to quote this since it sums up a lot already. Thanks Rogue!
As he said, you have to change the regular timing to bait or confuse Olimar.

You can also try to approach with a SHNair, but make sure you land behind Olimar since he can't shieldgrab you that way. Nair can also be a good move to kill the Pikmin that are latched onto you. But beware, Olimar can punish your ending lag if he sees you doing this. You can also jab Pikmin away if you think that SHNair is too risky.

If you get grabbed at a low percent, mash like crazy while the pikmin is pulling you in. You'll buffer a bunch of inputs and probably break free before he can grab combo you.

You can also try to kill his Pikmin with jabs, but that can be risky as well. Whenever Olimar's low on Pikmin you should shoot arrows since he can't pluck more Pikmin that way, or he'll get some damage before he plucks them.

Olimar's tilts aren't a very big threat, just DI out of his utilt, shieldgrab his ftilt and jump out of his dtilt.

Discussion #5: Samus' zairThe Grapple Beam

This move has amazing range and it autocancels on the ground.

Hayang

Smash Journeyman
I'll contribute what I know.

Ways of counterattacking MK's tornado include:
Pit's pivot grab has great range and is useful for grabbing MK out of tornado. As you probably know you run away from the tornado, make sure he is within ~1.2 pit lengths (someone verify this) behind you, and tap back and Z.

A well-timed ftilt or dsmash will also knock MK out of it. Remember that the two moves dont have hitboxes near Pit's head, and therefore will not hit MK when he is hovering at head level (which is common since nado rises with the B button, and good MKs will try to do to shieldpoke you and avoid hits at ground level)

Some MKs like to use nado as a recovery move when they are a little offstage but above stage level. If you can predict or react to this, pull out your mirror shield and catch MK in the shing frames to turn it around and possibly let him fall to his death. Speaking of, I guess this can be used even when MK isn't recovering.

I've heard of being able to attack from above with dair but I've never done this so if someone else would elaborate on this tactic's effectiveness that'd be good.

Dealing with the attack in general:
When you are shielding the attack you may be tempted to try and roll or spot dodge. Don't. There are frames of vulnerability present when letting down your shield and its likely that the nado will hit you during those frames. It's for this same reason that angel ring can't be rolled out of easily.

Also if MKs try and shieldpoke you from the top then you can move your shield upwards (or wherever) and cover yourself better.

If the MK has a tendency to pull away from your shield at the last moment you can try and use an OoS dash attack to catch him as he lands if he is close enough. If he is too far don't try this since you will be punished in your own attack lag.

That's all I can think of for now.

EDIT: Oh, and great thread!

CYVE

Smash Journeyman
Can´t you deal the tornado with your nair ?

I heard of it but i´m not sure.

Nikenick

Smash Journeyman
I'll contribute what I know.

I've heard of being able to attack from above with dair but I've never done this so if someone else would elaborate on this tactic's effectiveness that'd be good.
I think it's possible to do this, since I've stopped a tornado with a looped arrow once. The arrow hit him from above and he took the damage. But it's nearly impossible to jump above a tornado that's rushing into you and stop it with a dair.

EDIT: Oh, and great thread!
Thanks! :)

Can´t you deal the tornado with your nair ?

I heard of it but i´m not sure.
I will test this out right now.

Nikenick

Smash Journeyman
I tried it out with Nair, and the hitboxes will just collide and both attacks will continue, nobody will take damage. So the attack that will last the longest will win, which in most cases is Metaknight's nado. So only use Nair if the nado is almost finished.

Valuno

Smash Apprentice
I do what dextasmurf does. (I'm too noob to do the rest of the stuff I say for now) There's also dash attacking it and pivot grabbing the tornado, all of these are pretty good options.

Directly dealing with the tornado (aka pivot grab or dash attack) is sometimes better than simply shielding and punishing, because good MK players usually go in and out with tornado so that you can't punish it, and you end up eating a dsmash.

Dash attack and pivot grabbing take a good bit of timing and prediction, but they're probably the best way of dealing with the tornado.

The best way of getting out of the Tornado once you've been hit, is DI'ing out upwards, jumping and then WoI'ing down so you can punish them when they land.

Pit has ok options against the Tornado but they're usually sort of difficult to pull off.

ChokE

Smash Apprentice
I also like to add the fact that alot of MKs like to refresh their down smash with their Neutral B when u are close to killing percentage. So make sure u are ready to counter and space urself appropriately.

Nikenick

Smash Journeyman
How about if you're in the air so you can't hold shield or counter it any other way., I think that the best option would be jump + dair?

kown

Smash Lord
you cant punish tornado. your opponent is NOT going to simply throw out nados for you to react too. pits moves dont allow him to punish tornado. and lastly the only way to avoid a tornado is to simply not put yourself into that situation.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
-The basic way is to Shield it and wait for the tornado to stop right away, then punish, normally with a Dsmash. DO be careful of your Shield getting too small though.

-Mirror Shield Metaknight's Up-B. If Metaknight is recovering with this, OR if he's coming towards you quickly while near an edge behind him, he's goin to die.

-This requires great timing, but Pit's Piviot grab can grab Meta outta his tornado. Sometimes you may take 1% damage, but make the best of it. Use it when Meta is tornadoing you at full speed only, slower speeds may punish you more.

-Arrow hitting Meta from above, almost impossible, so dont worry about it.

-At times I remember Pit's N-air at a certain angle hitting MK outta his tornado.

Perhaps some of these should help you out.

SSD

Smash Journeyman
Pit really doesn't have the right setup to take out the tornado. The things that can go through/deal with it are a bit too slow to be practical, and the things that are fast enough don't cut it.

Nikenick

Smash Journeyman
I just wrote one of the three sections. Please note that this discussion isn't over yet, I will edit any mistakes and some things still need to be tested in order to move on to the next discussion.

MrEh

Smash Hero
yummybeefy said that angel rings will clank with the nado. can anyone else confirm this?
It will clank with the later part of the nado iirc. It's still useless though, it's too slow.

In the case of pivot grabs, that's unlikely to work consistantly unless your opponent spams it, which they shouldn't be doing.

Just shield it.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Not sure if it's been said but when using your shield, you want to angle it up to avoid being shield poked by the Tornado. When MK has finished, try to punish his ending (and possibly landing) lag. Arrows are pretty fast aren't they? They might be helpful if he's far away. Pivot grabbing MK out of the Tornado when his body is level with yours works nicely as well (I do this with Peach a lot but I'm not sure how it works out with Pit)

If you need any ideas on moves to do btw, have a look at mine cause I've done tons of them xD

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
i usually just mirror shield (sometimes twice if hes dumb enough to come back with it) and then go for the ftilt since im pretty sure its go the best range/speed to punish him in time

butttt if i dont have time for mirror shield i just shield it and cry as my shield gets completely eaten

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
I haven't shared for a while I guess I'll help out a bit.
When you go up against a tornado you should majority of the time just shield it and wait until it is over and punish it.
If by some chance you get caught in the tornado, what I do *my own discovered thing* is Smash DI upward to try to get out sooner. Immediately after tornado is over, activate your WoI and try to catch up to mk in free fall. You should DiveBomb ASAP and try to land Fair or Bair before his freefall animation is over.
This is situational and punishable but you should only use it if the MK brings you high up. Than you can land a good aerial. Or if your Pro at winglanding you can land a Fsmash.

Edit: Also kinda disliking how recoil put my video in his sig as well. Be original dude.

Nikenick

Smash Journeyman
I personally think that shielding isn't always the best option. If you're just going to shield a nado then a MK could just use nado 3 times in a row and hit you with it eventually. I personally think that mirror shield is a good alternative and I'm trying to find out what the other better alternatives are.

MrEh

Smash Hero
I personally think that shielding isn't always the best option. If you're just going to shield a nado then a MK could just use nado 3 times in a row and hit you with it eventually. I personally think that mirror shield is a good alternative and I'm trying to find out what the other better alternatives are.
If he's using the Nado 3 times in a row, then you didn't punish him for using it the first time. ^^

Petuh

Smash Rookie
If you're lucky, a down air cancels the nado, I've done this a couple of times but mirror shield is a safer option.

Coffee™

I need it....
These are a bit hard but when you're caught in the tornado you can DI upwards towards the top of it and either Uair or use WoI. The former can score a hit on MK as well as break the tornado and the latter can cancel the tornado.

Decent options for if you get caught in it but tbh you should just shield it and punish.

Coffee™

I need it....
im confused how does uair cancel nado? wouldnt MK be below you and uair hits above, sorry for my ignorance of how this works
If you are DIing upwards out of the tornado and you manage to execute an Uair it will connect with the top of the tornado, cancel it and damage MK.

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
If you are DIing upwards out of the tornado and you manage to execute an Uair it will connect with the top of the tornado, cancel it and damage MK.
ahh cool beans, so you are suggesting while in tornado to smash upwards and the a button? cause if it beats nado then im happy

Nikenick

Smash Journeyman
Ok guys I got bad news, my Wii broke.
So either somebody else has to test what moves stop the nado or we can just move on to the next discussion and I'll finish the summary once I get my Wii fixed again ( I'm going to send it to Nintendo ).
I think it's better that we'll just move on to G&W's bair now, but the summaries have to wait.

EDIT: Oh, and a grounded tornado with pressing B isn't possible since MK will just make a short 'hop' and then return back to the ground. So he'll be airborne when he presses B

EDITED EDIT: Let's just move on, I'll try to summerize the stuff that's said but I sadly can't test anything.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Infortunately, the priorities of the gay B-air are too big, piercing our shields and outprioritizes all of Pit's moves. I may have tried to Mirror Shield to reverse it, but G&W just has not much lag from the move, and arrows are pointless for they will be destroyed.
This is one of them moves we can rarely defend ourselves against. I havent fought a G&W lately to think of ways past it.

Riku00

Smash Ace
i just bubble shield or mirror shield.
Mirror shield it if the edge is behind him, do it and he's dead.

G&W Baircan be ***** with Nair or or just do a simple ShieldGrab.

rinoH

Smash Lord
i just bubble shield or mirror shield.
Mirror shield it if the edge is behind him, do it and he's dead.

G&W Baircan be ***** with Nair or or just do a simple ShieldGrab.
you cant shieldgrab it if spaced right which it should be if it is a good GnW

Top Bottom