• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pivot Glide Tossing + JC Glide Toss

Kaptain Kong

Smash Lord
To the SE of Port Town.. ..send - Seattle, WA
hey fellow diddy mains,

here are some helpful "glide tosses" that you can do while running (you can jc while standing still, too)

JC Glide Toss

i found that jump canceling a running throw slides slightly farther than a glide toss, and you can even do it from a stand still and throw in any direction you want.

How To:
  1. pick up banana
  2. start running
  3. quarter circle/tap up from the run
  4. immediately press a cstick direction for the throw

Note: you dont need tap jump on, i think that its the crouching animation after the run that you can cancel with a throw, but still get the slide, not canceling a jump. hitting up keeps more momentum then returning to neutral, so dont do that version.

Pivot Glide Toss

I dont know if any of you have heard of this before, but i was messing around in training mode, and i found that you can get a glide toss effect if you throw the naner at the right time after you pivot

Variations:
  • Forward Slide (in the direction you initially ran)
  • Backward Slide (in the opposite direction you initially ran)
How To:

Forward Slide -
  1. pick up banana
  2. run
  3. while running, return control stick to neutral position
  4. then hit a cstick direction
Backward Slide -
  1. pick up banana
  2. run (past initial dash animation)
  3. pivot
  4. when hes just past turning around, hit a cstick direction
Note: both variations should look exactly like a normal glide toss animation

you can also vary how far you slide, so you can mix it up more (at most, its the same distance as a normal glide toss)

both versions of the pivot glide toss are about as quick as a normal glide toss from a run, so they are just as useful in the situations where you would do a running glide toss

tell me what you guys think and some strategies that could go with it

DFEAR

Smash Hero
im gonna go try it right now and see the possible followups give me a few.

so just run with nana pivot and c-stick?

edit:
alright did it but instead of c-stick i used my grab button (x) and it came out much easier for me O-o but hell its pretty nifty u do slide as much as the glide toss and whats good about this tech is the following.

opponent is standing in front of u. under normal circumstances he does not know u will do this tech so you attempt to pivot toss. you run past him turn and pivot toss and trip him. once tripped he has literally cutted options. if he rolls behind he will be tripped by banana if he rolls forward that gives us a free tech chase grab/move and if he stands up and does an attack we can easily punish that. its nifty but it hurtd my controller to do it o-o and i think i tripped by myself like a good 15 times before getting the timing right. i like this tech but dunno if the high risk is worth the reward o-o

edit # 2

found it even easier to pivot glide toss when

u dash at your opponent and as you are behind him release the control stick to neutral position and c-stick it :3 works just as good

edit # 3
practicing with it more
a good "mind game" would be to dash at your opponent but instead of dashing at him you dash the other way and pivot glide toss the nana at him :3. This tech does kinda make me wanna mix up between glide tossing and such it literally made me glide toss less but glide toss is still **** o-o. but this tech is good but chance of tripping hurts so hard
:\

Kaptain Kong

Smash Lord
im gonna go try it right now and see the possible followups give me a few.

so just run with nana pivot and c-stick?

edit:
alright did it but instead of c-stick i used my grab button (x) and it came out much easier for me O-o but hell its pretty nifty u do slide as much as the glide toss and whats good about this tech is the following.

opponent is standing in front of u. under normal circumstances he does not know u will do this tech so you attempt to pivot toss. you run past him turn and pivot toss and trip him. once tripped he has literally cutted options. if he rolls behind he will be tripped by banana if he rolls forward that gives us a free tech chase grab/move and if he stands up and does an attack we can easily punish that. its nifty but it hurtd my controller to do it o-o and i think i tripped by myself like a good 15 times before getting the timing right. i like this tech but dunno if the high risk is worth the reward o-o

edit # 2

found it even easier to pivot glide toss when

u dash at your opponent and as you are behind him release the control stick to neutral position and c-stick it :3 works just as good

edit # 3
practicing with it more
a good "mind game" would be to dash at your opponent but instead of dashing at him you dash the other way and pivot glide toss the nana at him :3. This tech does kinda make me wanna mix up between glide tossing and such it literally made me glide toss less but glide toss is still **** o-o. but this tech is good but chance of tripping hurts so hard
:\
thanks for the positive feedback! :)
i like the mind games that could go with tech
ill try it against some real players to see how well it works

Player-1

Smash Legend
I'm not sure about that dash attack one, I'm either not doing it right or it doesn't work, but I like the pivot glide tossing, this will help a lot because a lot of my set ups don't work because there wasn't pivot glide tossing, but now there is =)

DFEAR

Smash Hero
I'm not sure about that dash attack one, I'm either not doing it right or it doesn't work, but I like the pivot glide tossing, this will help a lot because a lot of my set ups don't work because there wasn't pivot glide tossing, but now there is =)
scenario example :p? so we can see its other uses cuase i cant think of much with this tech besides tech chasing with a nana in my hand o-o.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
There might be another way of doing this. Run away from your opponent, and then perform the glide toss. Instead of glide tossing forward, reverse it so you throw it back at your opponent. You get the same momentum as a regular glide toss.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
There might be another way of doing this. Run away from your opponent, and then perform the glide toss. Instead of glide tossing forward, reverse it so you throw it back at your opponent. You get the same momentum as a regular glide toss.
thats already known. o-o this pivot toss just makes what u just said much more easier on us. :3

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Could someone explain the differences between using the pivot throw and just glidetossing forward to throw backwards.
I dont see a difference really and Im not understanding what makes this technique better

EDIT:
edit 2: both versions of the pivot glide toss are about as quick as a normal glide toss from a run, so they are just as useful in the situations where you would do a running glide toss
If theres no difference why would we use this when we could use glidetossing where we have no chance of tripping
I dont mean to say this techniques isnt good, Im just trying to understand what makes it good :)

DFEAR

Smash Hero
its just like if you need to run and space yourself and u have no time to walk away shield and roll you can just dash away and c-stick that banana at ur opponents face. its a situational skill but regardless its just a move that broadens our tech usages :3

Diddyknight

Smash Lord
Ive known tihs forever...thought the other diddys knew it T_T
to me anyway...."old" xD

its just to catch people offgard at times if they catch on to your glide tossing pattern

Bellioes

Smash Lord
I can do the one in the same direction while in a full run but not the turn around one

Do we do the slow pivot(the one where your in a full run) or the fast one (the one where you turn around at the very beginning of your dash animation) cause I cant get the turn around pivot glide toss to work. Ive been trying to do it with the slow pivot. I run until about the middle of FD, turn around, and spam the A button. All that happens is he does the slow pivot, then he just does a standing throw. Am I messing up the timing or what.

Thanks in advance

zyzzx

Smash Cadet
I'm still confused about what this is. You do it during the initial dash animation right? And is it the thing where diddy kind of lurches forward after dashing to throw the banana?

DFEAR

Smash Hero
its not during the initial dash, its when youre running and you turn around/return control stick to neutral and cstick it

and no, its exactly like glide tossing, but from a run
yay my method is useful :p but seriously having the ability to glide toss without shield is remarkable =3

Bellioes

Smash Lord
its not during the initial dash, its when youre running and you turn around/return control stick to neutral and cstick it

and no, its exactly like glide tossing, but from a run
OK so its the slow pivot
Im doing the forward one right but the backwards one a just cant seem to do it
Whats the timing cause even when I spam A after turning, I dont slide at all
I just turn around then do a standing throw with no slide so I know Im not doing it right
Someone please help :confused:

EDIT: I got it. It was DFEARs method that helped me.

While running, return the stick to neutral and throw in what ever direction with the C-Stick. You should slide in the direction you were running while throwing (Looks just like a glidetoss)

And I think I know why this happens. When you run with diddy and then return the stick to neutral, diddy sortve slides forward while crouching
If you throw a banana during the beginning (or even right when it starts) of the slide, the momentum transfers to the throw and you get the same effects of glidetossing without the shield. It takes a while to get used to the timing but it makes spacing bananas while running alot easier.

Hope this helped ^_^

DFEAR

Smash Hero
tested the JC Glide Toss and its cool but id much rather pivot toss/glide toss/ air toss :\. i dunno i cant find anything i can do well with this yet o-o some halp?

DFEAR

Smash Hero
all i really want to find out about diddy is how to glide his attacks instead of throws o-o. i want our own mortar slide xD

The Sauce Boss

Smash Ace
found something "new"
tell me what you guys think
JC tosses have been in brawl for a long time, so I wouldn't really call it "new":urg:. It could have kind of been assumed you could do it with naners.

How exactly did you determine it is farther than a glide toss? To me it looks exactly the same if not shorter, especially on the backwards one.

zyzzx

Smash Cadet
Yeah I've seen jump cancelled tosses floating around for a long while, was under the impression there was something that made a normal glide toss better tho, so I never bothered to learn it. You have to have tap jump on tho? that's probably not worth it, for me at least.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
Yeah I've seen jump cancelled tosses floating around for a long while, was under the impression there was something that made a normal glide toss better tho, so I never bothered to learn it. You have to have tap jump on tho? that's probably not worth it, for me at least.
cant uptilt/upsmash without jumping o.o? practice default controls mate.

Kaptain Kong

Smash Lord
JC tosses have been in brawl for a long time, so I wouldn't really call it "new":urg:. It could have kind of been assumed you could do it with naners.

How exactly did you determine it is farther than a glide toss? To me it looks exactly the same if not shorter, especially on the backwards one.
could you always slide in a different direction and throw in any direction?
i didnt know that you could, and also, thats why i put new in quotations

I tested on the wifi practice stage and threw from one of the lines in the ground, and jc went farther than the glide toss
it depends on when you jc it, you can change the distance you slide by timing it earlier or later

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Backward Slide -
  1. pick up banana
  2. run (past initial dash animation)
  3. pivot
  4. when hes just past turning around, hit a cstick direction
I cant seem to do this one and to me it seems the most useful :(
Am I doing it wrong or what.
I run and then turn around while spamming A and I still cant get it to work.
Pleaze help

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Thank you so much. I finally got it. It seems to me that the UThrow and FThrow pivot glidetosses actually go further than the down throw PGT. And I cant seem to do the BThrow one though (Throwing the banana in the direction you slide) but I did find something interesting while trying to do it.

Posted New Thread
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=223794

Kaptain Kong

Smash Lord
ill try to get up a video, but i dont have a youtube account, so ill have to ask my brother

also, i found that you dont need tap jump on to do the jc glide toss, i think that its the crouching animation after the run that you can cancel with a throw, but still get the slide.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
ill try to get up a video, but i dont have a youtube account, so ill have to ask my brother

also, i found that you dont need tap jump on to do the jc glide toss, i think that its the crouching animation after the run that you can cancel with a throw, but still get the slide.
actually you do need tap jump on to the JC throw
The throw your talking about is the pivot glidetoss forward (run and return stick to neutral, then throw)

Top Bottom