• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Guide to the Knee of Justice (with updates)

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
-The credit for the original work of this thread goes to Redalloy-
-This thread will be updated as new information is found-

Guide to the Knee of Justice

Contents
I. What is the Knee of Justice?
II. Properties
a. Specs
b. Sweet spotting
c. Auto canceling
d. Tripping
e. Other good things to know
f. The Lingering Knee effect
g. Combos
III. Percents
a. Killing with the knee alone
b. Percents for tripping
IV. Credits
V. History

What is the Knee of Justice

The Knee of Justice is Captain Falcon's Forward air attack (Fair). In Melee, it was feared by all, even by those who could wield it. In Brawl, it is known as one of the most powerful horizontal spikes.

II. Properties

a. Specs of the Knee of Justice

Damage: Sweetspotted = 16 - 21%; Flubbed = 3 - 6%
Knockback: Sweetspotted = Medium - High; Flubbed = Low
Duration: 1 second

b. Sweet spotting

The reason the knee ought to be feared. As shown in the specs section, the sweet spotting the knee is more effective than a flubbed one. There isn't really a "spot" that you have to hit with. Rather, it's all about timing. To sweet spot, you must hit in the first few frames of the attack. Failing to do so will likely end you up getting smashed across the stage, so attempt with caution.

Video Tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHMKPOslGUQ

Sweetspotting small characters
It was once thought that it is impossible to short hop a sweet knee on a small character. But guess what? You can! It's a tad difficult to perform but a relieving to be able to use in battle.
Stage 1. Short hop in front of the tiny guy
Stage 2. Immediatly start Fair as you are still traveling upward
Stage 3. Fastfall onto the little guy
If you perform this all properly, you can finally hit those short characters. This also works on larger characters as a fast, unpredicable attack.

If you slow the game down you can literally see the sweetspotting frames, even without hitting anything! You can tell this because when Fair is initiated Falcon will jerk forward for the first few frames. These are the sweetspot frames. After the initial part he receeds backward a bit into the sexkick section of the knee.

c. Auto canceling

Auto canceling (ACing) is the act of fully eliminating the landing lag of an aerial. Not all moves can AC, so we should be glad that the knee can. ACing can allow you to follow up on a knee or any other aerial you land much more quickly than without it. To AC, all you have to do is

1. Short Hop (SH)
2. Immediately perform the aerial of choice.

If done correctly, Falcon will land on his feet. ACing is going to be very important once we reach the Dair-->Knee combo section, so I urge that you practice this technique a lot.

d. Tripping

A flubbed knee isn't a bad thing. At lower percents it can cause tripping. This also appears to be about timing, as I found that you are more likely to cause tripping near the end of the attack. I will go into more detail on this in the Percents for Tripping section. A flubbed knee is also a good tool for gimping an opponent because of its sex kick properties.

e. Other Useful Things to Know

The Knee (FAir) -- Average Killing Percent: 72.9
++ Can work wonders on an opponent on a platform above you
++ If they airdodge an Uair, you can mindgame into this
++ If used offstage, most safely used if done right after your second jump
++ Can surprise ledgehopping opponents for a 80+% kill move
++ Can be flubbed into Falcon Dive
++ Autocancelled version can sweetspot taller opponents
++ Ledgehopping this to hit people next to the ledge sweetspots easily (but beware of shieldgrab)
++ Good shield pushback, but you're usually moving forward so you get punished anyways
++ Can be used for recovery
- Should not be used against grounded opponents unless you know you will hit them (bad landing lag)
- Easily predictable, easy to shieldgrab, hard to hit against short/moving opponents; don't spam it, because it has longer landing lag

f. The Lingering Knee effect
The next time you find yourself fighting on a stage with interactive terrain or items turned on, remember this tactic. A sweetspotted knee will pause for a moment and anybody who comes into contact with it for that moment will receive the knockback of the initial sweetspotted knee. Unfortunatly, you're likely to be fighting just one opponent so you will need to know where to activate this. Here is a list of some places that the lingering knee effect will work with;

1. Other opponents
2. The walls in Luigi's Mansion
3. Item containers
4. Some items
5. The floors of Sky World
6. The walls on Shadow Moses Island
7. Shy guys on Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
8. The baloons in Smashville
9. King Bulbin on the Bridge of Eldin
10. The blocks on Green Greens

There are a bunch of other places which you can do this but too many to list. You can certainly find them on your own.

g. Combos
Here are some of the better combos that can be performed with the Knee. I will go into more detail on some combos later.

-Flubbed Knee trip > Jab
-Flubbed Knee trip > Grab
-Flubbed Knee trip > Fsmash
-Flubbed Knee trip > Dsmash
-Flubbed Knee trip > Dtilt
-Flubbed Knee trip > Ftilt
-Flubbed Knee trip > Utilt
-Flubbed Knee trip > Up b
-Knee > Dash attack
-Shorthop Sweet Knee > Jab
-Shorthop Sweet Knee > Dash Attack
-Shorthop Sweet Knee > Grab
-Ledge Lift (Raptor Boost) > Knee (Only on some chars)
-D-air > Knee
-N-air > Knee (Only on some chars)
-Flubbed Knee > Jab
-Setup (can be dthrow or something) > Flubbed Knee > Ftilt > Jab (Nudge combo)
-First hit of Fast Fall Nair > Knee

Percents

a. Percents for Killing

The percents listed here are the percentages for killing all characters from the center of Battlefield without DI

Mario: 74
DK: 82
Link: 77
Samus: 80
Zamus: 66
Kirby: 66
Fox: 64
Pikachu: 66
Marth: 70
Mr.G&W: 64
Luigi: 75
Diddy: 72
Zelda: 68
Shiek: 67
Pit: 73
MK: 64
Falco: 67
Squirtle: 63
Ivy: 76
Char: 79
Ike: 77
Snake: 81
Peach: 72
Yoshi: 79
Ganon: 79
ICs: 72
DDD: 81
Wolf: 75
Lucario: 77
Ness: 73
Sonic: 73
Bowser: 84
Wario: 78
Tlink: 73
ROB: 78
Olimar: 71
Captain Falcon: 77
Jigglypuff: 61
Lucas: 72

b. Percents for Tripping

As mentioned earlier, a flubbed knee can cause tripping, which can be a detriment to your opponents plans. The knee itself comes in 3 phases:

1. The sweet spot phase
2. Immediately after the sweet spot phase, the knee produces low knockback and causes 6%.
3. Does 3% and causes very low knockback, but can cause tripping near the end.

Here, I've organized the list so each character falls into a percent range where they can trip. The percent they are under is the maximum percent they will trip at.

38%

Bowser

37%

Wario
Yoshi
DK
DDD
Snake

36%

Link
Ganon
Samus
Char

35%

ROB
Captain Falcon
Wolf
Ike

34%

Mario
Luigi
Ivy
Lucario

33%

Diddy
Zelda
Tlink
ICs
Pit
Lucas
Ness
Sonic

32%

Peach
Shiek
Marth

31%

Zamus
Olimar
Fox
Falco

30%

Kirby
metaknight
Pikachu
Squirtle
Mr.G&W

28%

Jigglypuff

Credits

Reaver: For providing the information on the Knee's Damage and knockback
BananaTrooper: For the info on ACing
Wogrim, Noodlehead, and Radiation: For the Other Useful Things section
Doggalina and all SHOW ME YA DATA contributors: For compiling the killing %s for the knee.
PEEF: For the sweet spot video.
My friend: For finding the flubbed knee-->Up-b combo (albeit on accident)
DoB04: For Ledge Lift-->Knee
noobslayer: For Dash attack-->Knee
legion598: Semagdnim stuff
misterbee180: Semagdnim stuff
Face124: For D-air > knee LC FK > Knee N-air > Knee (on some chars)

Redalloy for making this information available

History

*7-26-08* A thread is born. Added killing and tripping %s
*7-27-08* Added video tutorial, more useful stuff.
*7-30-08* Added new combo
*7-31-08* Added another new combo, picture.
*8-7-08* Added noobslayer comment
*8-10-08* Added more stuff
*8-26-08* Added Semagdnim section.
*2-20-09* Remade and kept for updates
*2-21-09* Combo section is added

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
Don't worry about this being a (nearly) direct copy. I will change it to work around all the things that need to be updated. Just give me a little time to sort things out...

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
Yeah, just post the things that need to be added and I will add them.

btw isn't the ledge canceled falcon kick to knee situational? I think the combos section should only have true combos.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Bumping this over the old thread I bumped lol. And I know it's common knowledge and not a combo, but you may want to add that offstage flubbed knee>uair is enough to gimp a lot of recoveries if you hit both.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
This doesn't relate to the current discussion but I made a Knee of Justice fanclub if anyone wants to join or help out with!

=)
See: "The knee unit" It is the same group with all the Falcon board regulars already there.

@Face124
That is a true combo? I will need to specify, then, that it only works on larger characters.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Maybe have a listed combos section?

D-air > knee
LC FC > Knee
N-air > Knee (on some chars)

blah blah blah.

Also knee combos into jab/grab/other stuff at low percents on tall guys.
Love the Ledge-Cancelled Falcon Cick > Knee combo
Yeah, just post the things that need to be added and I will add them.

btw isn't the ledge canceled falcon kick to knee situational? I think the combos section should only have true combos.
I was trying to be humorous. I've never even tried it.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
SB08 - yes, Knee > jab/grab is true, me and knee tested ages ago. Theres a link to the thread on it in the index.

Also, the knee cannot ever ss behind Falcon, around where is foot is, although there is a hitbox there.
And into the guide it goes...

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
Oh, i do believe it can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRltsVIgdy0

I think it's the first CF vs. Samus clip. Green Samus.
If I recall correctly falcons fair cannot sweetspot behind falson, but your forward momentum can put you in front of your opponent while they are getting sweet knee´d. Or it can be caused by the opponents DI.(in these situations the sweetspot is still caused by the frames in front of falcon)

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
I thought there was a list somewhere on these boards of things that needed to be updated about the knee of justice... I just feel like I missed a few things. :confused:

Top Bottom