• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Difference between American and European version of SSB64

NixxxoN

Smash Master
I played on console for a long time in the european version, and then i started playing online on the american version. Automatically my gameplay improved a lot and I started comboing like crazy.
The answer is, european version is slower than american version, for those who didnt notice it. 50 FPS/Hz to 60 FPS/Hz, due to PAL and NTSC different video systems.
This can make a HUGE difference. Everything runs slower and everything is harder to do.
I watched youtube vids of Isai and stuff and I was so impressed to the point to believe it was not possible to do. And I was right, a lot of stuff is not possible to do due to the slower timing.
When you are used to playing on the european game, you don't see many flashy stuff and combos, but more camping and more strategy, its like more similar to Brawl.
You european players did notice it?

House

Smash Journeyman
Less frames per second = Less time space for input = More basic gameplay.

You can, say, press A up to 60 times in one second at US ver., whereas you can only 50 times at EU ver.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
It is still a huge difference lol.

Your timing has to be about 15% faster so its more difficult to do everything.

Test it to see what I'm talking about.

malva00

Smash Master
PAL Link has the best horizontal recovery out of all 3 Links

Link travels farther through the air horizontally

NixxxoN

Smash Master
PAL Link has the best horizontal recovery out of all 3 Links

Link travels farther through the air horizontally
Yeah I knew that lol

Due to the slower game and due to to this, Link in PAL version is really a better character, I'd say mid tier.

And I think there are some other differences. I think Jiggly's rest hitbox is smaller (and more stuff probably)

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
I dont know, honestly, but would the "pressing a button 50 times per second vs 60 times per second" really impact you that much? I dont remember ever being in a situation where 49 button presses wasn't enough >_<

NixxxoN

Smash Master
I dont know, honestly, but would the "pressing a button 50 times per second vs 60 times per second" really impact you that much? I dont remember ever being in a situation where 49 button presses wasn't enough >_<
As I said, you gotta have 15% faster timing an tech skill to do what you do in the american version -_-

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
It's not quite how fast you can press it, it's more about the timing error from input. In American version you can press 60 times per second, which means there's about a 16 millisecond waiting time between every input.

With the european version, it's only allowed 50 inputs per second, which means that the time it takes between inputs jumps up to 20 milliseconds. This can be quite a difference for things that require good timing.

craiigg

Smash Lord
anyone who doubts there's not much of a difference

play PAL at 50 hz. ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
It sucks that motion picture regulations essentially gave European gamers the shaft all the way since the NES days. I've tried PAL roms of oldschool titles on NES, SNES, Genesis, 64, etc. to get a feel of what Europeans have been playing... it's so unfortunate

NixxxoN

Smash Master
It sucks that motion picture regulations essentially gave European gamers the shaft all the way since the NES days. I've tried PAL roms of oldschool titles on NES, SNES, Genesis, 64, etc. to get a feel of what Europeans have been playing... it's so unfortunate
well, for most of old games it doesnt really matter. For some games that require high speed and skills like SSB64 though, it does.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Wait, how does it work, is each frame in European version the same as a frame in the US version, but there are less frames each second the Euro version, or does the European version "compensate" the difference and all that matters is the slight timing gap.

If it's the latter than blame whomever localized it. It can't be too hard to multiply each movement variable by 6/5. =/ Well, depends on how crappy the system is, dividing can be a big deal, multiplying is cake. And it depends if the original multipliers took it into account by multiplying by a constant in the first place. Cause there could be a lot of variables to consider...

House

Smash Journeyman
Wait, how does it work, is each frame in European version the same as a frame in the US version, but there are less frames each second the Euro version, or does the European version "compensate" the difference and all that matters is the slight timing gap.

If it's the latter than blame whomever localized it. It can't be too hard to multiply each movement variable by 6/5. =/ Well, depends on how crappy the system is, dividing can be a big deal, multiplying is cake. And it depends if the original multipliers took it into account by multiplying by a constant in the first place. Cause there could be a lot of variables to consider...
I did a test some time ago and it seems to skip frames, but becomes too unoticed.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Well its 10 frames per second less than the american version, but i don't think its like playing online with 10 frame delay, its like it skips some frames but the game also runs slower.

chuckj

Smash Journeyman
i have a super smash bros (A) rom seems like Link just sucks even more talking about jumps. he cant double jump over the lava in board the platforms lol :p

House

Smash Journeyman
Link:

(A) Worst horizontal recovery.
(E) Best horizontal recovery.
(U) Standard horizontal & vertical recovery.
(J) Best vertical recovery.

Why would the developers want the char's abilities to differ between versions? (And we are only talking about Link)

NixxxoN

Smash Master
I thought European and Australian versions were the same since they both run on 50FPS/Hz PAL.

The developers probably asked things to players in order to try to balance the game more on the latest versions that came out (PAL versions)

Top Bottom