• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MORE POWER!: A Bowser Technical and General Strategy Guide [12/28/09 Update]

B!squick

Smash Master

Best regards go out to Koopa Domain, the original source of the above edited picture.

=Contents=
  • Updates
  • The Shield
    -Out of Shield Options
  • The Klaw and Infinite Jumping
    -Surviving A Bowsercide
  • The Ledge
    -Grounded Fortress to Ledge Grab: The Details
  • Bowser Bomb Do's and Don't's
  • Ways to Recover
  • Ways to Prevent Recovering
  • More Approach Options
  • BOWSER IS NOT SLOW
  • Platforms
    -The Klaw Drop
  • Know Your Limitations
  • Bowser's Survivability

Note: Please inform me of any mistakes, new techs, new strategies, your own techs, your own strategies, and what have ya, more approach options especially. This is not meant to be a me only guide. Bowser can do some cool stuff and other than a move list diagnostic, I personally didn't find the Three Guide topic very useful. Plus, they lacked lots of pretty colors.

~Updates~
-2/23/09-Added funny picture, moved yellow text, and added update section... yes, I was bored.
-2/24/09-Moved some things around, corrected a few mistakes, changed some colors. More importantly: added Contents and More Approach Options sections as well added a bit more info to the Surviving A Bowsercide sub section and explained how to cancel momentum in the Ways to Recover section.
-3/26/09-Added the sweet pic, props to MrEh for finding it. Moved old pic to the bottom.
-3/26/09(Part 2)-Basically added in an explanation for why DAir, though not the fastest aerial, is best for vertical momentum canceling. Thanks to Buuman for beginning the chain of events that led to MrEh's test and explanation.
-3/26/09(Part 3)-Additional tests on vertical DI momentum canceling show inconsistencies. Stay tuned.
-4/2/09-[IMPORTANT UPDATE!] Bowser is not as slow as you think, so quit it with the freakin' "kadurr, boozer is slow" please, thank you!
-4/21/09-Finally got around to an update that should have happened sooner. My appologies. I explain how important platforms are as well as adding an EXTREMELY useful link in the section about ledges.
-4/27/09-Was bored and went into MSPaint to make a snazzy new custom picture. Also, I changed the name. What was formerly "Bowser Techs and General Strategies" is now "MORE POWER!: A Bowser Technical and General Strategy Guide."
-5/11/09-My job gives me lots of free time to think and I played human beings for the first time in eons. Both combined gave me the idea for the latest chapter in my ever expanding guide. 'Know Your Limitations'.
-12/28/09-No longer stickied, but still more awesome than the stickied guide, I do some learning on all forms of DI, momentum shifting, and whatnot. With my new knowledge, I am able to expand more on the 'Ways to Recover' section. As well, Opera now has a spell checker, so I fix some mistakes here and there. Oh yeah, and I talk about 'Bowser's Survivability'.

~The Shield~

Before you learn or try to do anything else with Bowser, you must learn to shield. This is probably thee most important aspect of Bowser's game other than all the fun stuff he can do after a grab release (see Vex's Grab Release Thread for more details ). One of the best ways to get a grab release combo started is by using your shield. Besides this, it also helps off set Bowser's massive size since his shield is also massive. It makes projectile spam almost null and once you get the hang of Power Shielding attacks, it makes matches against, say, Link, a breeze.

Approach Option: Dash -> Shield or better yet Power Shield X attack, rinse and repeat until close to opponent.

Grabbing out of shield brings me to my next point, OoS or -Out of Shield Options- which includes:
  • Jab - It's fast, it has range, and keeps people from being uncomfortably close to you.
  • FTilt/Forward Tilt - Much like Jab only a bit more powerful.
  • Grab - See above for more.
  • UpB/Fortress - It's wicked quick, has INVINCIBILITY frames, and will even kill at higher percents. It has a slight cool down after use make sure you don't end the move too close to your opponent. It's a safe attack, not a combo starter.
  • DTilt/Down Tilt - Lots of horizontal knock back with this one. It attacks twice to make sure that anything in front of you is no longer there, but here again it has some after lag so try not to miss.
  • UTilt/Up Tilt - It will only really hit the taller characters from the front, but if you can angle the joy stick just right so that you turn away from your opponent first you'll hit them with the back part of Bowser's swing. But that's against grounded opponents. It works much better against the airbourne kind.
  • SideB/Klaw - Not the fastest of attacks nor the best of OoS options, but a useful one none the less.
  • DownB/Bowser Bomb - Careful when you use this. If you press down before you let go of the shield button you'll do a Spot Dodge and Bowser's Spot Dodge isn't very good. It's also worth noting that the second hit of the attack can be Air Dodged, but it's VERY unlikely that this attack will be expected. Some landing lag after this one, so save it for a surprise KO. Also, it seems that a Jab -> DownB will break full shields.
If you start taking too much damage, just remember to shield. A throw is much less likely to knock you out than an attack you should have shielded.

~The Klaw and Infinite Jumping~

As previously stated, it's not the fastest of attacks. However, the hit box for it is horribly disjointed and even reaches downward somewhat from the air. In fact, it looks like he uses the Force or something when he grabs with this, or that a bellowed "GET OVER HERE!" should be in order.

Approach Option: (Read on)

Now, the infinite jump has many names: Klaw Hopping, Koopa Hopping, whatever, it's simply the SideB Inifinate Second Jump Recovery or ISJR. Personally, I like the term Klaw Hopping the most. Anyway, performing this is ridiculously easy and from what I can tell, the easiest infinate jump to perform. Simply Jump, SideB before landing when near the ground, Jump again, repeat as long as you want and have ground to "jump" from. The beauty of this is that you can jump again at any point during the SideB animation, so long as you're near the ground. Here's a handy vid showing it in action as well as the things you can do while airbourne. Please note however that the name is a little misleading. You don't actually recover your second jump with this. A better way to describe it is that you're jumping infinitely and laglessly with SideB at the cost of your second jump.

In addition, it's great to just jump and come at your opponent with a Klaw. It's landing lag is a neglegible 3 frames and being a grab, that means that your opponent can't shield it. It has some start up lag, so it's probable that your opponent will see you coming. However, it's range is sick and thus proper spacing will make this unimportant. Now, what this all means is that when Bowser is flying at them and reaching for their face, their options are few:
  • Get out of the way - A backwards roll would probably be their best bet. The disjointed hitbox of Klaw makes this the only real safe option. If they roll towards you, make them eat a DSmash if they're REALLY close because DSmash has a horrible hitbox and you can be grabbed out it, or if they're further away a Filt, Dtilt, Fortress, or even a FSmash (if you think you can land it) are good alternatives. NEVER try to SH a BAir. It may be quick and have good range, but if you miss your opponent will make you cry.
  • Spot Dodge - I separated this from the 'Get out of the way' section because it is the most favorable for you. The almost non existant landing lag of Klaw means that you're opponent has most likely just given you a free attack, the safest, as always, being Fortress, or a Grab, which is very win.
  • Attack! - Now it becomes a question of can they hit you before you give them a flipping, flopping, Koopa hug of doom. Chances are they probably wont.
Now, if you can get a Klaw in when your opponent is at low percents, with proper DI reading and a second jump you can probably get another Klaw, FAir, or UAir in before they fly too far away. At higher percents, it makes for a good KO move, especially if the stage has walk offs and you happen to be near.

When grabbed, keep in mind that whoever has the lowest percent gets to control where you land on them.

-Surviving A Bowsercide-
Apparently, you're supposed to mash the jump button and then get saved by a stage change or gimick. I can't get this to work, but I usually don't get a chance to Bowsercide anyway. Here's a vid of it in action. My suggestion, besides practice, is to pay attention to when he starts and when the stage changes. I'm sure if you can get the timing perfect you don't even have to jump at all.

~The Ledge~

The ledge is awesome for Bowser. Simply dropping, jumping, and either Up or Down Bing to the ledge will give you near constant invincibility frames. In addition, it's possible to attack with FAir, UAir, and SideB from the ledge and simply UpBing back up to the laedge. You can even FAir onto the stage from the ledge and tests have suggested DAir to be an even better option with the draw back being a guaranteed death if you don't make it back to the ledge.

But how do to get to the ledge? Well, besides the obvious, which is recovering, a couple useful tactics and edge guarding maneuvers would be a grounded DownB and Fortress from the stage. When DownBing, just make sure you're close enough to miss landing on the stage, but far enough away so that you don't miss the ledge itself. Fortress requires a bit more than learning where to stand...

-Grounded Fortress to Ledge Grab: The Details-
At first, I decided that this was too ridiculously hard to pull off to ever want to attempt in a real match. Very rarely was I able to Fortress just off stage and grab the ledge... then I turned around and it was suddenly ridiculously easy!

Now, when you Fortress off the ledge, of course you need to DI up and toward the ledge for the best chance at grabbing the ledge. Too early and you stay on the stage. Too late and you freefall. For whatever reason, if your facing the ledge/outward/away from the stage center when you start, it's nigh impossible to grab the ledge. When facing the away from the ledge/inward/the stage center, it suddenly becomes a challenge to miss the ledge. In fact, the only times when I miss the ledge when starting with my back to it are when I'm too close to it (like, on top of it) and I assume the invincibility frames last long enough to keep me from grabbing, or when I start off too far off and the freefall kicks in as I'm going off stage.

So to recap: Face AWAY from ledge -> Fortress -> Spin off stage -> IMMEDIATELY DI up and towards the ledge.

This a very useful tech because it turns an extremely safe move into an ENTIRELY safe move, so long as you don't miss the ledge. Not only that, but it looks epic if you successfully edge hog with this.

As well, Liquid Gen started up a very useful Metagame and Advancement thread which, as of this update, is currently discussing Bowser's ledge game in far greater detail than what you'll find here. I strongly suggest giving it a looksee here.

~Bowser Bomb Do's and Don't's~

A common mistake that people make when they're just starting out with Bowser is DownBing to the stage when their opponent is below them. NEVER EVER DO THIS! Even a noob will probably see it coming, get out of the way, and then make you eat a FSmash. Generally, this means an Ike FSmash where noobs are concerned. And that's really really bad for you. But I shouldn't say never. If your opponent is prone to using laggy moves and/or is generally bad, a Bowser Bomb from the sky may be in order. All other times you'll be taking massive damage because of your whiff and cursing under your breath.

You should be using DownB in one of two situations: OoS and to a ledge.

Though keep in mind that some UAirs will beat the Bowser Bomb.

Also, I would like to point out, on the off chance that you missed it in the section about the shield, that a Jab -> DownB will break any full shield. You can thank Lord Bowser for bringing this bit of info to light.

~Ways to Recover~

Firstly, an important aspect of recovering is actually stopping your momentum enough so that you can recover. Besides DI, if the knockback is more vertical, use DAir/FAir and Fast Fall it (mash that Control Stick down too); if it's more horizontal, FAir and possibly jump. I try to hang on to that jump when recovering, but sometimes it necessary to stop from being KOed.

NEW! Okay, just go here for all the details on how to survive and the best ways to DI multi hit moves. And please, even if you think you know (like I did), go there anyway if you haven't already. There's a good chance you'll learn something about DI you didn't already know.

In a nutshell though, the crossed out section had it mostly right. DI to the corners of the blast zones, use FAir to get out of the first part of hitstun, fast fall if the knock back is vertical, jump if it's horizontal. If you are unsure which way you facing and are thus afraid of doing a BAir and not a FAir, UAir instead as it is almost as fast as FAir.

So, now that you're moving back towards the stage, here are some ways to get back to the ground safely:
  • When high above the stage, just aim for the ledge and DownB.
  • When low, make the most of Fortress and use it if they try to gimp you. Try to hold off using it for as long as possible. NOTE!: Certain characters a great at gimping because they can beat even the mighty Fortress. To my knowledge, the only characters you should worry about in this department are Mario and Ganondorf. If you know from experience of any characters with moves that will beat Fortress off stage, please inform me.
  • Usually though, you'll be knocked off stage and might not even need to use your second jump, let alone Fortress. If he's waiting at the ledge, SideB as you fall past or onto the stage depending the spacing. If you can Fast Fall or FF it, even better, but you don't have to. What this does is makes it so that most of the time your opponent will have to let you back on the stage, or risk getting cuddled Bowser style. Due to slight start up lag and the slight downward hitbox you'll have to start the move a bit higher than you might think.
  • Same goes for if they leave the stage and attempt to attack you directly, Klaw them, though depending on the match up and the situation it's probably better to just Air Dodge past.

~Ways to Prevent Recovering~
  • BAir is usually your best bet here.
  • FAir works nice too.
  • If low or if a space animal, Firebreath for the win.

~More Approach Options~

• SHed FAir is nice approach. If you FAir early enough in the jump, you land without any lag leaving you free to Jab, FTilt, Fortress, Shield, Grab, whatever.
  • SHed ADs or Air Dodges could work in some situations, but it's not as effective as simply Dashing and Shielding.
  • Spaced FTilts and Jabs also work well. Firebreath can too, but it's dependent on who your facing.

~BOWSER IS NOT SLOW~

This is taken from the match up thread in regards to Bowser's speed:

*sigh* I'll touch on the rest of it later, but first, Bowser's attacks.

Sure, Bowser isn't as fast Shiek. Most of her attacks hit sooner. While Bowser has laggy moves (i.e.: FSmash) these moves are used for punishing or from a grab release when applicable. But here's the thing: BOWSER HAS A BETTER ATTACK RANGE. Now, what this means, is that while Shiek may hit quicker, Shiek ALSO has to be closer to be able to attack Bowser, thus giving Bowser more time to hit you. And even when you do hit Bowser, ah well. Bowser is the heaviest character in game and has a faster fall speed than most of the cast(1), so he's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Moving on to aerial speed. Even to the human eye, Bowser has an average fall speed if you don't want to be overally technical about it(2) and has an "A" class aerial movement speed(3).

Now for ground speed, which Bowser rates about average(4)(5).

Conclusion?

BOWSER IS NOT SLOW! =_=

(1)http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=162546&highlight=speed
(2)http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=152768&highlight=speed
(3)http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=167952&highlight=speed
(4)http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=152360&highlight=speed
(5)http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=145760&highlight=speed
I'll repeat, Bowser is not slow. This is NOT a valid arguement for anyone playing against Bowser unless their name is Sonic, so feel free to laugh in their face whenever you hear it.

~Platforms~

Platforms are a really important part of Bowser's game. They act as a barrier against projectiles and give you a pretty safe position to attack your opponent from. If your opponent happens to be standing/landing on one, you're realatively free to attack them with any number of things:

• FAir
  • BAir
  • UAir
  • UTilt
  • USmash

Now, should you find yourself stuck on a platform yourself, a good method to get off it is to leap and Air Dodge to safety or Fortress off of it, OoS if need be. Another possibility is this recently discovered tech...

-The Klaw Drop-
By now we should all know how to Klaw Hop. Simply Klaw and Jump before landing. Well, as it turns out, if you're on a platform you fall through you can instead tap down on the control stick to pass through the platform. Not only do you regain your second jump with this, but it also allows you to seamlessly perform any aerial or special from a platform cancelled Klaw.

This is a pretty new AT though and much testing still needs to be done. Hopefully in the near future I'll have a complete list of things you can do, but the simplist is to simply tap A as you tap down for a surprise DAir.

~Know Your Limitations~

After playing some smash offline for what feels like the first time, I noticed what also feels like the first time a few flaws that Bowser has. You need to be always aware of these flaws if you want to get anywhere with Bowser.

Now, it doesn't take a legend of Smash to notice that Bowser's attacks come with a bit of lag, mostly due to the obnoxiously long animations; the ammount of time it takes for the hitboxes to appear is actually somewhat faster than Captain Falcon.

No, no, the chink in Bowser's armor I need to point out are the hitboxes themselves. For such a large character, Bowser has some annoyingly small hitboxes. Others of comparable size such as DeDeDe and DK you'll notice have much better hitboxes for their size and a BAir that puts Bowser's entire aerial game to shame. While Bowser has the best projectile between the three (I've seriously been thinking lately that I need to Firebreath more) that actually deals great damage and has a pretty great range for something that's a stream of well sized hitboxes, this is of little concern as pretty much the entire cast can either move back and shoot with a much better projectile or just jump over it and punch Bowser while he's in the throes of his ending animation lag. The only other move of note is The Klaw which is better than Bowser's regular grab for its range alone and more so for it's versitility.

While only a suedo-fighting that doesn't have much to do with true combos anymore, this is still a fighting game. The faster attacker is generally better and when you look at Bowser's range, for his size, I find that Bowser falls into an ackward gap.

Going back to the hitboxes, another large problem Bowser has is his air game and more specifically the area beneath him while he's in the air. The animation length for DAir is 77 frames if you don't land (just over a second), hits on frame 14 (only UAir is slower, but it ends alot sooner), and has a range that almost makes DSmash look decent (almost... well, okay, not really >.>). FAir is quick but lacks range and this is due partly because of Marth, a much more popular character. BAir has great range, but you can't short hop it. Despite the frame 16-19 hitbox, UAir has pretty good range and short hopping into a Klaw Hop boosted UAir can catch people by surprize. Even NAir, with it's bad range and noticably longer animation for a NAir is good for use around short platforms, cancelling projectiles, or just to give Bowser some breathing room, is still better than his DAir despite not being that good of a move either. Bowser's only safe option when this happens is to get over a ledge and DownB or chance it with an air dodge to the ground. Depending on the character you may want go with the air dodge. Either way, Bowser is in a bad position when that happens and even a simple short hop could have disastrous consequences.

In short, remember to always always ALWAYS space your attacks. Unless you're playing Meta Knight. :) Oh, and if Bowser was meant to fly he'd have his Koopa Clown Car with him. Stay out of the air if you can avoid it.

~Bowser's Survivability~

Having hopefully read the link I provided above in my revision of the 'Ways to Recover' section, we should all be on the same page. If not, here it is again.

Now, what this means is that overall, Bowser is extremely good at surviving. You could argue that someone like DeDeDe would be better because he weights alot too, but also has a super fast aerial (BAir), which mean faster recovery from hitstun and should THEN be better at dealing with knock back.

However, this is only half the story. This should hold true for vertical knock back, though I am unsure if the faster attack fully compensates for Bowser's additional weight, this should not hold up when it comes to horizontal knock back. This is because jumping to counter act the knock back takes into account your drift or aerial speed, which you should already know if you looked at that article I linked to. And DeDeDe has the worst drift speed in the game, while Bowser has the 9th best.

I have said on many occasions said that only G&W should be living longer than Bowser. The answer to the question of, is that true or not is yes... and no.

While it true that DeDeDe's faster aerial means that he can get out of hitstun quicker, this matters less and less the more knock back you actually have. Which is why I believe that at higher percents, due to being the fattest of the fatties, Bowser would have the best shot at surviving.

It is then by extension that I suggest this: become more aggressive as you take damage; take more risks. At first it may seem like a stupid idea to put yourself in harms way more often at higher percents, but knowing what I do know about knock back and DI, I think it's a legit strategy.

Thanks go out to:
-NinjaLink, Sliq, and Vex Kasrani for showing me what an awesome Bowser looks like.
-Uraj, Dynamism?, Liquid Gen, and Me14k for the guide(s) that served as an insparation.
-3GOD for the frame data.
-MrEh, Liquid Gen (again), Lord Bowser, Crzy, bowser king, LinIsKorean, Phiddlesticks, Blistering Speed, Spadefox, Commander Blitzkrieg, itsthebigfoot and others for the Bowser banter and other such mostly useful nonsense.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
u might want to add wavesmashing to that list.its when u dash pivot and at that instant u can perform most attacks.i like to use fsmash out of this.most people have no clue what i did.i learned this from ninjalink.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Bombing inbetween the platforms of BF is serious business. No one ever sees it coming.

Also, Bowser's Dair is good. REALLY GOOD.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Also, Bowser's Dair is good. REALLY GOOD.
This is MADNESS. Didn't you trash the D Air completely in Moveset Discussion haha (which by the way I will update today or tomorrow, sorry I've been very busy).

Really great stuff JayDeth, keep it up. Will you be updating this if something comes up?

B!squick

Smash Master
u might want to add wavesmashing to that list.its when u dash pivot and at that instant u can perform most attacks.i like to use fsmash out of this.most people have no clue what i did.i learned this from ninjalink.
I usually use this to SH BAirs with DK or Wolf. My controller's a little wonky so it's kinda hard for me to pull off anyway. Never really thought to do it with Bowser though, does it really work?

Really great stuff JayDeth, keep it up. Will you be updating this if something comes up?
As the yellow text sorta explained (I think, it was really early in the morning when I finished it), yes, I plan on keeping this as up to date as possible. Some input from Vex, NinjaLink, and Sliq could probably help. I'd like see what they think/would want to add.

Also, are there any other approach options besides dashing and shielding and Klaw Hopping? Those were the only good ones I could think of. :/

Liquid Gen

Smash Ace
Ledgecamp is also possible to bait an approach.

SHAD is a good approach vs. projectiles.

FHDair is a lulzy approach as well, it may or may not work.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Walking spaced F Tilts are good, as is spaced Firebreath (though that's completely MU dependant). Careful with that SHAD, good people will catch on and use some kind of multi-hit move to go through it or just punish the afterlag. If you're going to use it against projectile spam, just make sure you're a fair distance away.

MrEh

Smash Hero
This is MADNESS. Didn't you trash the D Air completely in Moveset Discussion haha (which by the way I will update today or tomorrow, sorry I've been very busy).

I lied. ^^

The Dair has one use, and it's awesome.

Hobobloke

Atemon Game
Maybe put that in there for people who don't know how to momentum cancel with Bowser, for horizontal fair and dair for vertical.

Also you put you were unsure in how to survive a bowsercide. all you have to do is simply spam the jump button (much easier than trying to perfectly time the jump) then upb afterwards. Do that in a tournament match and watch your opponents reaction :p

MrEh

Smash Hero
Most of the time, the proper way to survive a vertical attack with Bowser is to DI to the sides and use your Dair as fast as possible. I do that by holding left or right, and smashing my cstick down constantly to buffer a Dair. That way, you can DI correctly and still manage to get the Dair out as fast as possible.

For vertical momentum canceling, I DI towards the uper corners and use my Fair as fast as possible. Afterwards, I jump.

Sliq

Smash Master
For vertical momentum canceling, I DI towards the uper corners and use my Fair as fast as possible. Afterwards, I jump.
You mean horizontal.

Dair is for vertical, fair fast fall double jump is for horizontal.

Bandit_Kieth

Smash Apprentice
power shielding is when you shield at the exact moment they just about / at the same time they hit you yeah?

i dont really follow names of things

Jonas

Smash Champion
It's not really hard. In Melee it had to be PERFECT perfect, but in Brawl you just have to shield about the same time an attack hits you. It's pretty neat considering how effective projectile spam is in this game.
I often do it by accident when I try to shield regularly, especially online n_n

B!squick

Smash Master
MrEh, you need to explain some things to me. I found some random vids of you on YouTube and you must explain to me your ledge game. It's fantastic. I saw in one that you went from the ledge, to the stage, to a FTilt so fast I had to rewatch that scene a couple times. Do you just, Drop -> Jump -> AD -> *insert attack here* or what? Explain your secrets please.

Also, your Grab release -> Jab -> DownB on that Marth was epic... why did it go down hill after that though?

MrEh

Smash Hero
I saw in one that you went from the ledge, to the stage, to a FTilt so fast I had to rewatch that scene a couple times. Do you just, Drop -> Jump -> AD -> *insert attack here* or what?.
You mean this?

What you do is drop down from the ledge, double jump back onto the ledge, then attack. After you figure out the timing for it, it's not difficult. Just make sure you don't attack until you land on the ledge, otherwise you'll do an aerial. It's not the most useful of techniques, but it works as an occasional mixup.

Also, your Grab release -> Jab -> DownB on that Marth was epic... why did it go down hill after that though?
Because Firefly is too good. According to Firefly himself, he went super aggressive after I did that grab release because he didn't want me to Bowsercide him. ^^

A more recent match between me and Firefly can be found here.

B!squick

Smash Master
Exactly that, yes.

What you do is drop down from the ledge, double jump back onto the ledge, then attack. After you figure out the timing for it, it's not difficult. Just make sure you don't attack until you land on the ledge, otherwise you'll do an aerial. It's not the most useful of techniques, but it works as an occasional mixup.
Awesome. This I must work on because FAiring to the stage has just enough after lag to make it not really worth it. DAir would be perfect due to the push back if it wasn't so easy to miss and SD.

Because Firefly is too good. According to Firefly himself, he went super aggressive after I did that grab release because he didn't want me to Bowsercide him. ^^
I wonder why he didn't just do that to begin with? :/

Awesome stuff. I'm gonna watch the Lethal vid here in a sec. I honestly should just gather up all of your vids here for reference.

MAJOR EDIT: *watches the second vid* :O ...... LEAST cool ending to a set ever. It just reeks of douche baggery, reeks of it I say!

Buuman

Smash Ace
You mean horizontal.

Dair is for vertical, fair fast fall double jump is for horizontal.
Fair for both vertical and horizontal. The only reason why everyone stopped air dodging was because the SWF community realized that momentum can be canceled with your fastest aerial. Fair all the time and hold down.

Sliq you may or may not know this...most people don't, but after the peak of your jump, if you hold down and use the c stick for a fair...you will fast fall that aerial. However...if you C stick a dair after the peak of your jump, you will get the fast fall automatically, thats why most consider down airs better. However fairs are the fastest aerial for bowser, so hold down and fair...and you will get the fast fall --> jump to momentum cancel horizontally, and fair fastfall to momentum cancel vertically.

Sorry, but I don't want people getting the wrong idea, false information is bad.

B!squick

Smash Master
Fair for both vertical and horizontal. The only reason why everyone stopped air dodging was because the SWF community realized that momentum can be canceled with your fastest aerial. Fair all the time and hold down.

Sliq you may or may not know this...most people don't, but after the peak of your jump, if you hold down and use the c stick for a fair...you will fast fall that aerial. However...if you C stick a dair after the peak of your jump, you will get the fast fall automatically, thats why most consider down airs better. However fairs are the fastest aerial for bowser, so hold down and fair...and you will get the fast fall --> jump to momentum cancel horizontally, and fair fastfall to momentum cancel vertically.

Sorry, but I don't want people getting the wrong idea, false information is bad.
Ahhhh! A DeDeDe main! *runs and hides*

Anyway, infinites aside, >.> is C-Stick FAir, Control Stick down really better than just both sticks down? And according to 3GOD's frame data NAir is just as fast if not faster than FAir, so wouldn't that be best?

Buuman

Smash Ace
If the move comes out faster, then yes. Understand this...if you reach the peak of your jump..try dairing with the c stick and hold down at the same time. Something weird happens...there is no fast fall. You wonder why that is. C stick down is like an instant fast fall, but adding control stick down for some reason cancels out the fast fall. Nair + fast fall if u get hit veritcally then, fair + fastfall + jump for horizontal. Just keep in mind u can react much quicker out of the fair than the nair, hence the jumping. Because u dont need to jump when u get hit vertically, then use your nair + fast fall.

Sliq

Smash Master

Have you tested both ways of saving yourself vertically, like being at the same percent and having Snake up tilt you?

If not, we ought to do that, even if we are certain of the outcome. Living longer is a pretty big deal, and we might as well have the facts straight.

B!squick

Smash Master
Yes, feel free to test this. I don't have the number of hands or friends required to do it, though I guess I can just slow down the speed and switch controlers... I think I'll try that and look into this. I kinda don't want to though, it feels nice giving DAir a purpose, lol.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Have you tested both ways of saving yourself vertically, like being at the same percent and having Snake up tilt you?

If not, we ought to do that, even if we are certain of the outcome. Living longer is a pretty big deal, and we might as well have the facts straight.
I just tested it. A fast falled Dair is still better then a fast falled Nair and Fair for vertical momentum cancelling. I used Snake's Utilt, and here's what I found out.

FF Fair: Bowser can survive up until 133%
FF Nair: Bowser can survive up until 133%

FF Dair: Bowser can survive up until 134%

There's a reason for that. As soon as any part of Bowser touches the blastlines, he'll die. However, look what happens when Bowser does his Dair. He flips upside down. When Bowser flips upside down, it makes himself shorter, and that allows him to survive longer vertically, since he'll have to be at a higher % for him to touch the blastlines. Even though the Dair is the slowest aerial to come out, it's still the best for vertical momentum cancelling since it still forces Bowser to take longer to hit the blastines. Plus, it's the easiest aerial to use in matches, since all you have to do is mash the Cstick down.

That's my only theory about why Bowser's Dair is better then the Fair and Nair. There might be another reason, but from my testing, it seems that the Dair is definitely better.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Oh yeah, all these percentages were found on FD.

Also, I somehow managed to survive until 134% with a FF Fair once or twice, but I wasn't able to replicate that all the time. 133% was the most consistent %.

Buuman

Smash Ace
I just tested.

The results show that the Fair is much better.

How I tested it was:

On FD in training mode (In training mode every move stays fresh)

I centered bowser in the direct center Diamond of FD and heightened the percent.

I set the speed to 1/4 so I had time to switch controllers and input DI away from the middle of the stage, and then mashed down on the c stick

Also the other times I tried, I held down on the control stick and tapped forward on the c stick

Fair is the dominant move. It made bowser last much longer. Do the tests I did MrEh. You'll see foryourself the fastest move is the most beneficial :)

Sliq - I didn't mean to come off as an ******* in my post towards the correction. My apologies good sir.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Okay, I retested. I never thought of slowing the game down.

When I did the testing, Fair still only made Bowser live until 134%. Same as the Dair.

I'm confused now. ><

B!squick

Smash Master
Updated (again) and I'll likely have to do my own tests now, though if there's only a 1% or less difference it'll probably come down to ease of use.

Sliq

Smash Master
I just tested.

The results show that the Fair is much better.

How I tested it was:

On FD in training mode (In training mode every move stays fresh)

I centered bowser in the direct center Diamond of FD and heightened the percent.

I set the speed to 1/4 so I had time to switch controllers and input DI away from the middle of the stage, and then mashed down on the c stick

Also the other times I tried, I held down on the control stick and tapped forward on the c stick

Fair is the dominant move. It made bowser last much longer. Do the tests I did MrEh. You'll see foryourself the fastest move is the most beneficial :)

Sliq - I didn't mean to come off as an ******* in my post towards the correction. My apologies good sir.
You didn't, I just wasn't sure if you had tested this or simply based it off of the momentum canceling theory.

Top Bottom