• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcon's 3 hit Tilt lock and guide to set-ups endings *VIDEO ADDED*

Face124

Smash Ace
Edinburgh. Pm for a Brawl and I'll get back to you
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpwTVqErDb0&feature=channel_page

The lock

Falcon's F-tilt tilted downwards is quick, hits all characters in their bounce animation and is fairly low knock back. The problem is, it is not quick enough for you to walk after each hit and continue it for long. 3 hits is the average I find, but you can do a 4th by using a normal horizontal F-tilt. That isn't particularly practical in the long run though, simply because the lag and knock back limits your endings, and it can't hit characters who are very thin. I find this works until around 50-60% on most characters, because eventually it hits them too far. This can be done on fatties like Bowser and King Dedede with a F-tilt tilted upwards, but it is worse than tilted down, so in short: don't do it.

The best way to keep it going for long is to get as close to the opponent as you can before starting, as this allows you more chance for more hits. Damage depreciation helps by weakening the knock back of the F-tilt, but still, the fact that it only works until roughly 50%-60% means this isn't hugely great, and that you need to watch their percents.

Endings

After being jab locked twice, opponents have no control: they will automatically get straight up after a set period of time with invincibility frames, but will be vulnerable after it. This is where you get real percents in. They will get directly up -no rolling to either sides- and as long as you time well, are just asking to be taken advantage of. Due to the time it takes for them to stand up, you have a small portion of time to get yourself into a good position to do whatever you are going to do. Here I will list some of the better options for certain things. Please suggest anything intelligent, like, something not worse than stuff that is already here.

• [*]D-air > Knee combo
    -Kills some light characters.
    [*]AC N-air > Jab cancelled second hit > grab
    -Grabs can set up for strings or grab release combos (<3 Wario).

Set-Ups

Basically, the only way you can jab lock is if your opponent is lying on the ground in a certain state. The only way they can be in this state is if they hit the ground after being hit by an attack with knock back without performing any action after that attack. They don't have to be out of hitstun when they hit the ground to be in this state. This section will help you with ways of tricking your opponents into this position. Here are some that I find effective:

• [*]D-air on an aerial opponent
    [*]FF Flubbed Knee
    [*]B-air

Help with this section in particular is greatly appreciated.

<3 Falcon

I sincerely apologize for any confusion with the PatiKnee combo, as it is not a true combo.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
Cool.

Also cool you used our (me and patinators) combo. ^_^

Also, I know a killer set up on wario:

simply grab release>footstool.
Can't tech a footstool ^_^

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
then its a tilt lock

LOL ok, looking good.

Stomp > Knee is probably the best and safest option though, until I see a vid of the "true patiknee" combo

Face124

Smash Ace
then its a tilt lock

LOL ok, looking good.

Stomp > Knee is probably the best and safest option though, until I see a vid of the "true patiknee" combo
Yes I do apologize for that, I was under the impression that PatiKnee combo was a true combo.

EDIT:

Cool.

Also cool you used our (me and patinators) combo. ^_^

Also, I know a killer set up on wario:

simply grab release>footstool.
Can't tech a footstool ^_^
Sorry, I decided to take it out as the footstool, obviously, makes Falcon jump mucho high, and so there isn't enough time.

EDIT2: Video added, check the OP.

Mit

Smash Ace
Both of those things you said were combos in your video, certainly did not look like combos... A real Wario player would not have just stood up without attacking or rolling (unless that's a property of that odd state you can be jab locked in), and your dair -> knee on Jigglypuff looks like it could have been easily airdodged.

I don't think a lot of people realize how incredibly difficult/situational it is to get that dair -> knee combo. I tried imitating TKONTK's video on it a while back on Samus, and could not get that SH knee out after the dair nearly as fast as him (although I could get it out as fast as the one against Jigglypuff shown in this thread, but yeah, that looks like it could've been dodged, either by hitting Falcon with a nair, or air dodging).

Nifty combo though, although it looks pretty situational.

Also, isn't it possible to get people into jab locks with jab jab knee? I seem to recall someone jab-locking a Donkey Kong across Battlefield. Again, it was very situational.

peeeetah

Smash Cadet
do you think dtilt would maybe have the same properties? you can dtilt someone for 3 hits or so before they di out of it, and it might have more range than an angled ftilt. i'm just not sure if it does the same thing where it makes the opponent stand up.

Face124

Smash Ace
Both of those things you said were combos in your video, certainly did not look like combos... A real Wario player would not have just stood up without attacking or rolling (unless that's a property of that odd state you can be jab locked in), and your dair -> knee on Jigglypuff looks like it could have been easily airdodged.

The idea was that those move strings can be done and be inescapable, I'm not sure if my ones were. In the OP it says that after a jab/tilt/laser lock the opponent is forced to stand directly up.

I don't think a lot of people realize how incredibly difficult/situational it is to get that dair -> knee combo. I tried imitating TKONTK's video on it a while back on Samus, and could not get that SH knee out after the dair nearly as fast as him (although I could get it out as fast as the one against Jigglypuff shown in this thread, but yeah, that looks like it could've been dodged, either by hitting Falcon with a nair, or air dodging).

Nifty combo though, although it looks pretty situational.

It is situational, although it is something good to know.

Also, isn't it possible to get people into jab locks with jab jab knee? I seem to recall someone jab-locking a Donkey Kong across Battlefield. Again, it was very situational.
The flub'd Knee has jab lock properties, but I haven't found any way to lock with it so far unfortunately.

do you think dtilt would maybe have the same properties? you can dtilt someone for 3 hits or so before they di out of it, and it might have more range than an angled ftilt. i'm just not sure if it does the same thing where it makes the opponent stand up.
I'm afraid I have found no way to lock with D-tilt, and i am very sure it doesn't have locking properties.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
Dtilt locks heavy-fastfalling characters for 2 hits. I think thats the only way its an inescapable lock.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
^What Smashbrother said. Dtilt hits the target upwards, so it can't lock. Falcon's ftilt has a very minimal, if any, vertical knockback to it. It's mainly horizontal, hence the ability to lock.

How well would this lock work against a wall? As in, how long would it last?

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
Falcon's ftilt has some vertical knockback at high percents, just FYI. Dtilt pops the target up, so its definately not a lock option. I've landed dair > knees before, the problem is sweetspotting them. Its definitely a true combo, and even after they airdodge they cannot air control till after they start falling back down a little, so you have a bit more leeway if you can predict the airdodge.

Honestly, Dair > Knee is by far one of THE most effective kill combos falcon has, the psuedo combo off of dthrow > uair or dash attack > uair being the next best shot. Now... we just need SETUPS TO DAIR > KNEE > : (

If only the nudge combo were easier to perform.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
The Second hit of Falcon's Knee also has jab lock properties.

I think you can(I've tested it but I'm still not sure) Grab release Kirby into Foot Stool,

Then fast fall to knee

into Downwards F-Tilt lock,

when they stand up knee them. Or F-Smash :)

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
The Second hit of Falcon's Knee also has jab lock properties.

I think you can(I've tested it but I'm still not sure) Grab release Kirby into Foot Stool,

Then fast fall to knee

into Downwards F-Tilt lock,

when they stand up knee them. Or F-Smash :)
Or dair > knee

Kirby has lag on aerial grab release? Hrm, didn't know that *plans to try and abuse with other characters as well*

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
Or dair > knee

Kirby has lag on aerial grab release? Hrm, didn't know that *plans to try and abuse with other characters as well*
yeah, but footstool can't be Di'd and D-air can also be teched.

Everyone who is forcibley aerial released has 20 frames where they can't move and you can. Since captain Falcon is tall he can forcibly air release a good amount of characters.

Mit

Smash Ace
The flub'd Knee has jab lock properties, but I haven't found any way to lock with it so far unfortunately.
I was talking the jab combo (punch>punch>standing knee to the gut>rapid punches). I actually found the video I was thinking of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU9V4xTDYFg&feature=related

It was one of the Champ videos. It happens at around 1:10. I'm not sure if what he was doing was inescapable though. But yeah, Donkey Kong seemingly couldn't land, and he continuously did jab>jab>knee>crouch cancel>jab>jab>knee>etc.

I think if we investigate that a bit further it could turn into a real jab lock that could go on much longer than this ftilt lock.

Face124

Smash Ace
Falcon's F-tilt has less knock back at his thigh, so be as close as possible to the opponent. I find footstools tend not to be a good option because of how high Falcon jumps, so as Doc said I would just go for a D-air. Mit, that is not a jab lock, that is a triple gentleman. It is very much escapable with shield or good DI.

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
D-air > Knee is a true combo on anyone at certain percents. Even God.

EDIT: Oh lol P3 beat me to it.
Sakurai: *laughs*
Falcon: OH NOEZ AIR TRIPPING!!!!! *dies*
Sakurai: *laughs*

I noticed Ike has some true combos out of grab release, perhaps we should find falcon's. Also, do we have the regrab on ground release against the PK kids?

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
stomp > knee is a true combo on all chars at differing percentages
Even if they air dodge it. Doesn't the Flubbed knee stay out long enough to hit them?

And, the flubbed knee gives a good amount of lag(When the opponent is on the ground), it might be able to link into a Dash to Up-Smash

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Even if they air dodge it. Doesn't the Flubbed knee stay out long enough to hit them?

And, the flubbed knee gives a good amount of lag(When the opponent is on the ground), it might be able to link into a Dash to Up-Smash
No, we're talking about stomp -> sweet knee, no ability to airdodge in between.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Another cool thing is:

FF Uair(right before you land) hit them in their bounce animation, (which also forces them to GET UP only, just like Ftilt)
Then imedietly efter your Uair connected, input neutral B for a garanteed Falcon punch.

Awesome as hell! ;]

Player-3

Smash Hero
Another cool thing is:

FF Uair(right before you land) hit them in their bounce animation, (which also forces them to GET UP only, just like Ftilt)
Then imedietly efter your Uair connected, input neutral B for a garanteed Falcon punch.

Awesome as hell! ;]
SAY WAT?!?!

SO FLUB KNEE> TRIP > fALCON PAUNCH IS A TRUE ****ING COMBO?

i just **** myself

Top Bottom