• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth matchup video (From iRJi)

iRJi

Smash Champion
Here is one of the vid's we did. Last one of the night actually after playing for about 5 straight hours. lol.

RJ Vs Pierce: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSzvgMLw8k4

Just to put it out there, this isn't a critique session.

You can post and do what ever though, just take this on what to do and what not to do.

If you have any questions just ask.

Edit: Also, sorry for the somewhat bad quality. I'm going to get it uploaded later using a capture card, but this will have to do for now.

iRJi

Smash Champion
Lol. Yea he didn't get it on me that game. none the less still a decent game to look at.

Browny

Smash Hater
Umm i think you spent way to much time approaching. why take a silly risk trying to outrange him with fair constantly when you can just run away and charge an aura sphere?

iRJi

Smash Champion
Camping isn't going to work. Especilly when marth gets into you zone really fast. Although I could have stood back and just charged an AS you also gotta remember I know how he plays also and it takes a big roll into the match. The best way to get a marth is to apply pressure. Just chucking AS's at him will just provoke him to be like "oo hes not going to edge guard me, im going to **** him now. lololol

Timbers

check me out
AS camping won't work on Marth. I agree that RJ probably should have held a defensive stance until he saw an opening rather than charging Marth's fairs but what he did was better than simply running with auraspheres.

Browny

Smash Hater
Ok so i checked numbers...

Of the 13 times you attacked each other with fair, you only actually hit marth 4 times. every other time he beat you with his own. I dont know how much pressure you think youre applying when hes beating you almost 70% of the time you try it... not to mention his fair outdamages yours for a large % range

Samuelson

Smash Lord
Well Browny...they were friendlies....just sayin'

When i play friendlies i try but i don't play the same way as i do in tourney. I play much gayer and more defensive in tourney than in friendlies. Playing defensive is just really draining for me and takes a lot more concentration then when i play super aggressive for some reason :/

iRJi

Smash Champion
Well Browny...they were friendlies....just sayin'

When i play friendlies i try but i don't play the same way as i do in tourney. I play much gayer and more defensive in tourney than in friendlies. Playing defensive is just really draining for me and takes a lot more concentration then when i play super aggressive for some reason :/
Lol. Thats how it is though. Its the same for me. Playing aggro takes less attention to whats going on, as long as you don't do anything retarted. Playing defencive takes patience and a lot of focusing on what your opponate does, and then reacting to what he does. Don't worry, you not alone =].

Lucarioowl

Smash Apprentice
Umm i think you spent way to much time approaching. why take a silly risk trying to outrange him with fair constantly when you can just run away and charge an aura sphere?
Agreed space the fool =) but this isn't a critique. Hope the matchup results go well my 2 cents lucario vs martha is some what lucario's advatage only because of AS at least for me i spamz it aginst her (Martha is kuwaaaa) . But i guess im known form playing my lucario like a marth. :ohwell:

Browny

Smash Hater
Well I just dont see the purpose in playing friendly for matchup experience + videos. When i tape footage of myself vs my brothers snake for example, I tell him to play as gay as possible and camp with grenades all day long. If he did it any other way, it wouldnt be very indicative of the matchup now would it. It doesnt apply to marth, since he only has one option; attack lucario. His playstyle in friendlies should be the exact same as it would in tourney situation

iRJi

Smash Champion
Like stated earlier, It isn't a critique. You can take the vid as a lesson of not to approach recklessly if you want, and leave it there. When it comes to a Marth I know how to handel the matchup fairly well since I know the other sides to it. Want a quick run on a good marth match up against lucario in tourney?

Lucario throws AS: Marth walks up and PS's it. Then jumps and fairs.
Lucario attacks with a Fair or Bair: Marth reverse pivot grabs. because of his grab range he can grab us out of fair if we are close enough the the pivot range.
Lucario Jabs: Don't follow up or you will get gay'd
Lucario Does anything past frame 6: You get Counter'd or reacted with dancing blade.
Marths objective: Push you on the ledge because he can harrass you.

Game over. Now that is how a marth will gay you in a toruney, I would like to move on.

Like i was saying (cough) Its not a critique. You can always learn something even if the video doesn't "Appeal" to you liking. Like i said earlier, take it as it is and then use from it on what to do and now what not to do.

Although we both rushed the whole game, who can blame us? its our crew meet. Pierce can easily just walk foward and gay anyone just by standing still, and to add onto the fact that he didn't but he ran up and fair'd makes it worse. You stated that I ran up to him and just fair'd but also take into the fact of how close he was for most of the game. He can Dancing blade, Utilt, hell even a down tilt trap would have pressured me off to somewhere I didn't want to be. Wanna AS him? Go head, he can fair through them all he wants when your under % increase, but thats besides the point. I rushed, ill cry later about it when it matters.

Your lesson from the video is: Don't rush marth with fair. Schools out now.

It doesnt apply to marth, since he only has one option; attack lucario. His playstyle in friendlies should be the exact same as it would in tourney situation
The fact that you said we should play friendlys the same way as we would play in tourney is obserd. If I was to do that, I would have quit this sh*tty game a long time ago. Gotta have the fun somewhere, even if its to teach someone something there not taking in yet because hes worried about how I played. The game is fairly simple. and I find tetris move complicated the Brawl.

So next people might say "Oo then why do you play?" Because a lot of my friends play it in my area. Pierce, Umbra, Munk, BSChung, My whole crew and then some just like 30 min away (Inui, Adomsk, DMBrandon, Doom) even my girlfriend plays. I play competitive halo most of my time and play this on the side, and I still get good placing at tournaments despite the fact i play this game about 2 times a week, and to add I get decent placing when im on the east coast? This isn't flame or anything, I am actually far from mad, but to recap on what I stated when I opened the thread and quote

Just to put it out there, this isn't a critique session.
So take what not to do from the video and lets move on now.

Im going to get my coffee.

PS: Marth's only option is not just to attack Lucario. Just wanted to put that out there.

Browny

Smash Hater
what the hell man? strawman me enough?

Where did i ever give any critique? Youre just twisting my words into what makes it easier for you to counter. And im not saying you should play friendlies the same way as tourneys ffs. I said thats for MARTH. Marth doesnt have the option like MK, snake, DDD etc to play gay for the entire match, Lucario does to an extent. You said in the matchup thread you would post videos for the purpose of discussing the matchup. thats not what this video is, its merely a friendly match, thats it. It can/should still be used as such, but not as any definitive example

Im just getting at your description of the matchup in the thread where you rated this a 60:40. Going by this video, I could see how a 60:40 would be the case. But by constantly rushing marth with fairs instead of trying to camp him, youre only hurting lucarios chances of bringing it any closer to even.

iRJi

Smash Champion
Like I said, Im not flaming you, so if you get that vibe thats my fault. I'm just trying to get my point across.

Timbers

check me out
You can't camp Marth. The problem here was RJ either confronted an aerial Marth or went airborne with an fair and whiffed it, not that he was offensive. If Marth goes in the air, keeping grounded and ready to react (i.e. defensive) is the best solution.

Top Bottom