• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falcon's Salmon Smash

Face124

Smash Ace
Edinburgh. Pm for a Brawl and I'll get back to you
Copy of Ganon's one, here is the thread on the ganondorf boards:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=219206

basically, tap forward on the control stick, then backwards, then F-smash forwards. The result is, Falcon will slide quite far the F-smash.

Here's my video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2A_o2dS0ng

Note: I did not discover this, and I don't claim to have, but there ha been no thread about this for Falcon that I could find, and it is mucho useful.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
It's the extended version of a stutter stap. It's basicly a quick step forward + stutterstep. Known to Sonic boards, but perhaps new to Falcon boards.

Smash Apprentice
Well, its range is good, no doubt.
Still Fsmash has no knockback and huge startup+ending lag in comparison to Dsmash and Usmash.
Could be useful if enemy isn't expecting it and you're able to space it correctly.

Roager

Smash Ace
Not a stutterstep, you say?
It is a stutterstep, except for one small addition.

Stutterstep is like so:
Stick backward>C forward

This makes Falcon turn around, and slide forward doing his Fsmash, as per stutterstep.

SalmonSmash (odd name) is like so:
Stick forward>stick backward>C forward.

So falcon moves forward, turns around, and slides forward during his stutterstep.

It's basically stutterstep, but you move forward before you do it.

I could see this being nice for punishing people out of range of Dsmash. Especially if your Usmash is decayed.

Face124

Smash Ace
I saw this at the ganon board quite some time ago..
Still, I saw no post about it here, and subsequently no reason not to post it.

Not a stutterstep, you say?
Well, I don't recall saying that ever, so no. No I didn't say.

Well, its range is good, no doubt.
Still Fsmash has no knockback and huge startup+ending lag in comparison to Dsmash and Usmash.
Could be useful if enemy isn't expecting it and you're able to space it correctly.
F-smash kills better than U-smash, and is like, 5% away from having the same kill percent as D-smash. It is faster than D-smash and F-smash actually, and is only 6 frames behind D-smash and 1 behind U-smash in total length.

Smash Apprentice
Still, I saw no post about it here, and subsequently no reason not to post it.

Well, I don't recall saying that ever, so no. No I didn't say.

F-smash kills better than U-smash, and is like, 5% away from having the same kill percent as D-smash. It is faster than D-smash and F-smash actually, and is only 6 frames behind D-smash and 1 behind U-smash in total length.
I'm quite sure Dsmash is way stronger and faster than Fsmash, ain't got no data about it tho.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Like other people said, it's just a longer stutterstep, but it seems useful. And the name salmon smash beats kneestorming. Just had to be said.

Chaco

Never Logs In
...people come up with the gayest names for ATs.

We're stuck with Draconic Reverse, so please name this better.

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
what?

I coulda sworn this was well known, even amateur falcon's I play know this.

Blargh, whatever *leaves*

eRonin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
eRonin
3DS FC
3969-5180-1975
Turnabout Smash?
But hey, that's pretty cool. I'll add it to my to-do list of Captain Falcon techniques. ^^
Seems like a great punisher to Falcon Punch, in case that has somehow decayed. Wait what am I saying.

Face124

Smash Ace
...people come up with the gayest names for ATs.

We're stuck with Draconic Reverse, so please name this better.
Lol. I didn't discover this, so its not my place to name it. We could name the one for Falcon though.

I'm quite sure Dsmash is way stronger and faster than Fsmash, ain't got no data about it tho.
Frame data and kill percents say thats not true. D-smash is slightly stronger with the first kick and weaker with the second, and the frame data says F-smash is faster.

How about "Manly Smash" anyone?

eRonin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
eRonin
3DS FC
3969-5180-1975
"Manly Smash" defines all of Captain Falcon's smash attacks, though. Nice try, Face.

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
Lucky found this out in his tutorial video thingie (stutter step x 2).......at least that's when I learned about it, but I use this ALL the time, Fsmash is amazing people.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Yea, "Salmon smash" is a hella weird name; I just named it like that.

What's the big deal about names anyway?
Falco doesn't shoot anyone with a gatling gun during his "Gatling combo"
Likewise Ganon doesn't smash anyone in the face with a Salmon during his "Salmon smash"

There are only 5 characters in the game that can perform the Salmon smash.
C. Falcon has BY FAR the best one.

Be happy with Falcons awesome Salmon smash, and stop complaining about the name. >_>

salmon smash is the best name ever
This fella has good taste..

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
Yea, "Salmon smash" is a hella weird name; I just named it like that.

What's the big deal about names anyway?
Falco doesn't shoot anyone with a gatling gun during his "Gatling combo"
Likewise Ganon doesn't smash anyone in the face with a Salmon during his "Salmon smash"

The are only 5 characters in the game that can perform the Salmon smash.
C. Falcon has BY FAR the best one.

Be happy with Falcons awesome Salmon smash, and stop complaining about the name. >_>

This fella has good taste..
And you can thank his uber speed for that one! CF all the way!

eRonin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
eRonin
3DS FC
3969-5180-1975
I would probably use it for punishing dittos who miss the ledge with their up-B, or side-B...
=D
Or you know, anyone else who missed the ledge with their recovery.

Roager

Smash Ace
Wogrim: Given that this is just running forward before a stutterstepped Fsmash, I don't think there's any way to reverse it.

Unless there's some backwards stutterstep i haven't heard of.

I don't actally see why you'd ever want that. Seems kinda dumb. Fsmash that moves you backward? What's the point?

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Wogrim: Given that this is just running forward before a stutterstepped Fsmash, I don't think there's any way to reverse it.

Unless there's some backwards stutterstep i haven't heard of.

I don't actally see why you'd ever want that. Seems kinda dumb. Fsmash that moves you backward? What's the point?
Leanback on FSmash is already useful for avoiding well-spaced aerials (like a Marth trying to hit you with the tip of his FAir), if we can just run backwards a short distance before doing it it's extra pwn.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Is there any reverse Salmon Smash such that you'd move away from your opponent?
Funny thing is:
The 5 characters that CAN perform the Salmon smash, can NOT perform a retreating Fsmash ^^ .....
For example, with Marth you can Dash backwards (away from opponent) then right after you started dashing backwards, interupt the retreating manouver with a c-sticked Fsmash towards the opponent.
This way Marth can space himself very fast for a tipper Fsmash.
(Assuming he was to close for a tipper in the first place)

Reverse Salmon smash would be:
Dash Back -> Dash forward -> Smash forward;
which would give almost exactly the same range as a simple Fsmash.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
That makes sense I was wondering about that how some characters go forward and some go backwards. So it's by initial dash speed? Maybe not though if Ganondorf can do that :confused:

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
I highly doubt it, Ganondorf has extremely high traction. His DACUS is nearly nonexistent, so...
Isn't falcon's DACUS pretty bad too? But he has a huge dash animation...

This needs TESTING.

And in the past, when I used wolf, retreating fsmashes are godly... but thats wolf XD

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure the name "Salmon Smash" comes from Ganondorf's uber hax stutterstep. Meaning he can do it too. And Falcon's DACUS makes him slide a shorter distance than his hyphen smash :confused: Maybe the OP could clarify my question though that would be super cool. I know Ganondorf is retardely slow, like in Melee rolling in one direction was faster than dashing, but I have no idea if foxtrotting is faster for him, or fast in general. Or if that even matters :/

Top Bottom