• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gauntlet BIWEEKLY: FRIDAY APR 10TH , 1v1 cap at 64, 2v2 cap at 32 bottom UPDATED!!

DAlegendarysamus

Smash Lord
Hey everyone this is your neighborhood Smasher, Wes speaking on behalf of myself and D.A.
We are coming back with hosting the smash events that people loved or hated. For a year now we have kind of been observing and collecting our thoughts and views on brawl. We came to the conclusion that it’s a piece of crap a big disappointment and not meant to be played competitively but yet we force it to be. This brings me to the things that are really disturbing to us, which are the rules. If this game is going to be forced into competition wouldn’t it be good to make rules fit for competition being fair for almost every character to have a fighting chance to play? Yes it would, but this community fails to make rules that way, instead we make rules that put the game in reverse back to melee days and other games like MVC (Marvel vs. Capcom) having like 25 to 50 characters but only 4 to 8 can win tournaments consistently if played at high levels. That’s nonsense, why do that? That takes the fun out of the game if all you see is the same 4 to 8 characters winning tournaments because of the rules that cater to only them. It kills the life span of the game competitively, instead of the games competitive fire lasting for like 8 yrs it only lasts 4 yrs the most, that’s sad.

This game has so many good characters that can win unlike melee no matter what rules you put in you will get the same out come the 4 gods winning. In brawl you have so many good characters if the rules were fair. You have Toon link, Lucario, Olimar, Sonic, Shiek/Zelda, Ike, Luigi, Mario, Wario and PokemonTrainer the list goes on. But these characters don’t have a fighting chance with chain grabbing, jab-locking infinities, grab releases and other messed up tactics. So from all of this me and the rest of D.A came up with a rule set that would give EVERYONE that has skills with their character a fighting chance. Our smash events will really show who knows how to play the game for what its worth. Smash is a game made for fighters to be able to push their characters to the limit by mastering the characters art of fighting along with being aware of their environment while battling their opponents. If you take out environmental hazards from smash then it will no longer be smash. This community tries to turn this game into street fighter you cant do that it breaks the game and makes a lot of characters useless to get good with.

These smash events will be held biweekly or at least 2 Fridays a month not consecutive Fridays. What we are also planning on doing with our events is making a point system also to give people a reason to come back to our events to build their points up to gain extra prizes. Matches will also in due time will be recorded and put up online as soon as we get them. Below are the details of the event and rules. There will be a lot of controversy from all of this but so what, without controversy we would not be DA. We will be the 1st to run tournaments the way they are suppose to be, so with out further ado.

ADDRESS:
• 137 East 13th Street, Between 3rd and 4th Avenue, New York
• New York, 10003, United States of America
• Play N Trade / Union Square is conveniently located at 137 East 13th Street between 3rd and 4th Ave in Manhattan, just a short walk from the following subways (14th St/Union Square): 4 5 6 L N Q R W

Time:
Registration starts: 5pm
Event starts: 6pm

Phone: (212) 674-0200

Spectator fee:
$5 dollars or a person at the least buy a merchandise from the store ranging from $2 and up (vitamin water, fruit-juice, water, etc). Ask for a receipt Show it as proof that you brought something.

Price - $10 Venue Fee
Price - $10 person for 1v1
Price - $20 team for 2v2 ($10 per person)

1v1 pot payout

if 30 or less attend it will be

1st – 65%
2nd – 25 %
3rd – 10%

If 40 – 50 attend it will be more like this

1st – 60%
2nd - 20%
3rd – 15%
4th – 5%

If 60 and over attend it will be

1st – 50%
2nd – 20
3rd – 15%
4th – 10%
5th – 5%

2v2 pot payout

if 30 or less teams attend it will be

1st – 65%
2nd – 25 %
3rd – 10%

If 40 – 50 teams attend it will be more like this

1st – 60%
2nd - 20%
3rd – 15%
4th – 5%

If 60 and over teams attend it will be

1st – 50%
2nd – 20
3rd – 15%
4th – 10%
5th – 5%

Rules:

* Matches will be THREE (3) Stock, seven minute time limit.
* Double Elimination. All matches will be 2/3, with Winners finals being 3/5. And grand finals being best of 4/ 7
* The bracket will be seeded by crews/region and rankings.
* Items will be off.
* Life stealing is allowed in teams.
* Smash balls will be OFF.
* Advanced Slob picks: First match is a blind pick, where the competitors will tell their character to a judge, and then proceed.

* -Dave's Stupid Rule Modified will be in effect. The same stage can not be played twice in a row in a single set. Unless the person/team that lost on it picks it again
* The Mage's DQ rule is also in effect:
2 Minutes Late: Warning/Loss of first stock
4 Minutes Late: Loss of first match of set
6 Minutes Late: Loss of set
* Any attempt at lame tactics will result in a warning. Any further attempt at lame tactics will result in forfeit.

Singles and Teams rules:

Team attack on
Life stealing is allowed

1st match is ALWAYS RANDOM!!!!
2nd match stage will be picked by loser. Only if he/she/team don’t pick character. If not it will be chosen randomly.

3rd match stage will be picked by loser. Only if he/she/team don’t pick character. If not it will be chosen randomly.
Same applies for matches 4th-7th in the Winners finals and grand finals.

Counter-pick rules:

He/She/Team is allowed to pick either character or stage when they lose not both.
If He/She/Team picks character instead of stage, then stage will be picked at random!!!!!

Winners of any and every match aren’t allowed to choose stage or change character.

NEUTRAL STAGES:

There is no such thing as neutral stages in brawl. There aren’t any stages that are fair for the whole cast in the game therefore not being neutral. If you want to know the meaning of neutral look it up and you will see why my theory about neutral stages in brawl is right.

STAGES THAT CAN BE COUNTERPICKED AND ALSO ON RANDOM:

BATTLEFIELD
FINAL DISTINATION
DELFINO PLAZA
PIRATESHIP
NORFAIR
FRIGATE ORPEON
YOSHI'S ISLAND - BRAWL
DISTANT PLANET
HALBERD
LYLAT CRUISE
POKEMON STADIUM 2
CASTLE SIEGE
SMASHVILLE
SKYWORLD
PICTOCHAT
SHADOW MOSES
GREEN HILL ZONE
CORNERIA
JUNGLE JAPES
BRINSTAR
POKEMON STADIUM
RAINBOW CRUISE
GREEN GREENS
ONETT
MARIO CIRCUIT
BRIDGE OF ELDIN (TEAMS ONLY)
YOSHI’S ISLAND- MELEE
THE SUMMIT ICE CLIMBERS STAGE

Stage banning rules:

3 stage bans for each player/team

Stage restart rule:
1 stage Restart for each player/team.

EVERY OTHER STAGE THAT HASN’T BEEN MENTIONED IS BANNED IN SINGLES
AND TEAMS!!!!

BANNED TACTICS:

1. No Stalling under a stage:
Any type that includes even Sonics homing attack stall.
-Running away to run the time limit. If there's 30 seconds, and you bail, that's one thing. But if you waste 5 minutes, or be a jerk about it, we're stopping the match. It's at the judge's discretion.)
Stalling is banned!!!!!!

2. No CHAINGRABS:
Meaning a person can only do 1 grab then they must throw their opponent away, do any attack other than another grab or just let them break free. Examples of chain-grabs: Falco's, Dedede’s walking and running chain-grab Ice climbers chain-grab, Pikachu’s, Yoshi’s, even zero suit Samus’s on fox with her down-smash can be consider in between a chain-grab and infinite. These tactics and tactics from other characters that weren’t mentioned that are associated to them are banned. Anything that has guaranteed regrabs that you can't escape are banned (D3's small step infinite/standing infinite/CG, falco's CG/etc, but not Diddy Kong, who doesn't have a real chain grab and can only get two grabs in a row if the opponent screws up). Everything else, where it is essentially punishing the opponents mistakes, are good to go!!!!

CHAIN GRABBING:

Consists of a grab throw linked to another grab that CANNOT BE BROKEN or TECHED in anyway.. So in other words any AUTOMATIC CHAIN GRABS. Tech chase chain grabs is allowed.
i.e. Dedede's down throw chain grab, Falco's down throw chain grab, Pikachu's forward throw chain grab and down throw chain grab on fox and wolf, Wario's down throw chain grab on heavy characters, Lucario's forward throw chain grab at early percent etc.

3. No infinities:
Such as Dedede’s standing chain-grab, Ice climbers standing chain-grab, etc. These tactics and tactics from other characters that weren’t mentioned that are associated to them are banned!!!

4.No Wall infinities: Any moves, grabs, or tactics that pin characters to the wall guaranteed aren't allowed. Examples: Fox's drill to shine combo against the wall on characters are banned. Dk's throw against the wall is banned.

Wall Infinities:

Consists of any moves, grabs or tactics that pin a player to a wall and cannot be teched. DK's cargo down throw against the wall, Ike's forward throw agains the wall, G&W's down tilt against the wall etc.

5. No Jab-locks or jab-locks against walls hence being called a wall infinite.

I REPEAT ALL JABLOCKS ARE BANNED EVEN PROJECTILES THAT LOCK YOU!!! (Laser-lock, banana-lock, Ice-lock, etc) All jab-locks and projectiles-locks are not allowed. Players are only allowed to lock you once with a jab or projectile then follow up with a smash attack knocking you away. They can’t do any more than one lock.

Example: If a Diddy has 2 bananas on the stage, then throws both of them at you one after the other causing you to be locked to the floor. He must either grab you or smash attack you he can’t repeat the same lock combo carrying you across the stage.

6. No Game and Watch oil spill: Game and watch can’t use the bucket to attack if he teams with Zero suit Samus ,Zelda, Pikachu, Luigi, Wolf, or Mario. He is only allowed to use the bucket if the opposing team fills it up.

7. Grab releases are banned:
If you grab any character that can be grab released and release them u must let them hit the ground. Or when you grab them you have the choice to either hit them while grabbing them or throw them in any direction)

9. Anti ledge-hopping rule:
Players are only allowed to grab the ledge no more than 50 times the max if the player exceeds 50 times the player automatically loses the match. Also if both players at the end of the match both exceeded 50 edge-grabs the winner of the match is decided by the person who grabbed the ledge the least amount of times.

10. Anti-camping rule:
If the timer runs out, the opponent must be ahead by two stocks in order to receive the win by time. If time does run out and if one player has a stock over the next the match is restarted with the stock that was left when time ran out. If time runs out a second time and the match has to be played a 3rd time. The match will be played on port town Aero dive, and if by the grace of god the match has to get restarted a 4th time it will be set to sudden death on final destination let's see if players can camp their opponent and some bombs, lol. This applies only for singles.

11. Teams infinite grab: If its a 2 on 1 the team with 2 players left cannot grab the person that's alone and let him go letting their teammate grab them again. Repeating it until the person is ready to die.

PENALTIES:

Every time anyone is caught grab releasing, Team chaingrabbing, chain-grabbing, doing an infinite or any jab-locks in a match will be penalized:
1st time chain-grabbing, jab-locking, infinite's will result in a warning.
2nd time chain-grabbing, jab-locking, infinite's will result a 1 stock loss.
3rd time chain-grabbing, jab-locking, infinite's will result in a 2 stock loss.
4th time chain-grabbing, jab-locking, infinite's will result in match forfeit.

Penalties Breakdown:
IF a dedede grabs a snake and does a 2 grab chain grab that player will be issued a warning.
IF he stops and does another 2 grab chain grab that player will lose a stock.
Then if he does stops again and does another 2 grab chain grab that player loses 2 stock
Then if he insists on doing another 2 grab chain grab that player will lose the match and will continue losing matches EVERY TIME he continues to do a chain grab till the set is over.

An example of someone lossing the whole match:
If A Dedede player starts the match and grabs a snake player and does 5 consecutive grabs to the snake player he automatically lose the match

An example of someone lossing 2 stock:
If Dedede player starts the match and grabs a snake player and does 4 consecutive grabs to the snake player he automatically lose 2 stock.

An example of someone lossing 1 stock:
If a Dedede player starts the match and grabs a snake player and does 3 consecutive grabs to the snake player he automatically lose 1 stock.

** If a match is down to 1 stock vs 1 stock and one of the players performs a grab release attack after being issued a 1st time offense warning, the player that died is awarded with the victory because the 2nd time offense is the loss of the stock. Same goes for any other banned tactic. **

The above breakdown also applies to jab locking,infinite's, grab releasing, team chain grabbing and wall infinities.

TACTICS ALLOWED:

If Bowser or Ganadorf suicide-grabs you and it's both of your last stock and it’s to determined the match, Bowser or Ganondorf are the Winner. I seen only Bowser having this and to me it's unfair that they both have those type of moves and only Bowser gets it. It's not like there are many Bowser or Ganon players to begin with.

CHARACTERS BANNED:

METAKNIGHT!!!!!

*Places handcuffs on Metaknight*

*Opens the gate for locked away characters*

If there are players that report to me a tactic that is banned that has been done to them. And the match is done just record the match and who me the match over.

Go to the link below discuss further about the rules and who will be attending this so i can put you into a bracket b4 you even come. And so I know about how many people are coming : http://smashguardians.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=41&func=view&catid=8&id=12#12

Also people let me know who can bring in wiis with copies of smash in it

so far we have:

TVS:

Playntrade(5 CRT) NO LAG TVS!!!!
Playntrade(2lcd's) component cables needed that i will buy before the event
Wes (1) REGULAR TV NO LAG!!

Wiis with copy of smash:

Wes (2)
Jtails(1)
Phire (1)
Bum(1)
Stratarazor (1)
Jayoyeah (1)
Bluchu (1)
GURU (1)
Playntrade (1)

NEW UPDATE:

Since this tournament is going to be on a Friday again and time is of the essence(us having only like 5 to 6 hrs to finish) it will have to be capped 64 man in singles and 32 man teams.
If people are wondering if they wont make it for the cap and they will be the 65th man or the 33rd team. Noone should worry about that, think about it. It will be on a Friday you think more than 64 people will come to this event i dont think so. And we have to do this because we have to get these event done at a good time. CAPS WILL ONLY BE PLACED ON THE BIWEEKLIES IF THEY LAND ON FRIDAYS IF THEY LAND ON SATURDAYS THERE WONT BE ANY CAPS. SO THATS PRETTY MUCH IT.

PRE REGISTRATION:
http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=5341

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: OH MY SARAH MARSHALL

This is going to absolutely amazing.

PRiDE

Smash Lord
I like it a lot. Will be insane for the first few times, until people get adjusted to the rules. There will be yelling and screaming but I think it will help the game out in the end. Good ****. Lets see what this can do for the game.

BUM163

Smash Lord
i will be here to represent my boy wes and d.a. good stuff and i like the stage list. people try to make this like street fighter when this game wasn't meant to be played like sf. if you want to play sf..... buy it lol.

i will be needing a teammate for this.

Snakeee

Smash Master
I like DA, so I'll start going to these. (can't make this one bc of BTYF) But, I think these rules are a bit absurd. You ban all these tactics and the best character, then not only add almost every ridiculous stage, but include them on random???

At least you're being consistent though on banning what you think should be taken out of the game though. You're showing that you're not biased by also banning G&W's bucket.

DAlegendarysamus

Smash Lord
WOWWWWWWWWW you don't ban the bucket thing but you ban metaknight LMFAO wow EXTREME bias
i knew you and ppl like you would be the 1st to say that read the rules again you fool lol. And you will see how bias we are lol.

and inui how are the payouts gay thats how the payouts was a long time ago when people fought like men. you just mad cause ppl who are 3rd best like you wont get a good portion lol.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

ANTi_

Smash Hero
**** im going

but kind of too many bans lol. i have a feeling im gonna accidently break a rule but oh well

Fyist

Smash Journeyman
Stage list is kinda corky and I dont really see a big problem with grab release "combos" but it sounds pretty cool.

BUM163

Smash Lord
m2k lol you need to learn to read properly. the other team has to fill it up, not your teammate. if you are a true competitor, ya should be able to adapt to any situation. we already know why m2k is not coming. inui you have a snake and a good one. this is just a different type of tournament that will show off different skills.

true competitors will compete no matter the situation. if you watch sports, football players will play with snow and rain. players with broken noses will play with a faceguard. sick players have a bowl of soup and get ready to get on the court.

ELI-mination

Smash Champion
true competitors will compete no matter the situation. if you watch sports, football players will play with snow and rain. players with broken noses will play with a faceguard. sick players have a bowl of soup and get ready to get on the court.
I want MORE EXAMPLES

Rockin

Juggies <3
BRoomer
m2k lol you need to learn to read properly. the other team has to fill it up, not your teammate. if you are a true competitor, ya should be able to adapt to any situation. we already know why m2k is not coming. inui you have a snake and a good one. this is just a different type of tournament that will show off different skills.

You do know those examples are 'PHYSICAL CONDITIONS' examples and not game rule difference examples, right?

Rules look kinda wonky...let's see how they play out.

Anyway, I may go to this. Even though Meta Knight is considered banned. I'm trying to see if I can go to God-is-my-rock tourny.

DireVulcan

Smash Lord
QFT

Man up

Inui

Banned via Warnings

I don't want to support a tournament that is this far off from normal rules. A lot of the rules go against what I stand for in terms of competitive gaming and many of the stages add massive amount of luck. While I personally like DA, especially Wes and Dire, I strongly disagree with their outlook on competitive gaming in general, especially with regards to Smash.

I'm going to show up to this after spending $15 on gas and tolls, pay a $10 venue fee, deal with playing 10 noobs on horrendous stages, get jewed by some ******** stage, and then get 4th/5th out of 100 people with no money.

Not very enticing.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: This is going to be very refreshing for this game.

I really sincerely hope that I can make my way down there for this. I REALLY am looking forward to this.

Kubootz, can Neil and I perhaps borrow some floor space? :D

DireVulcan

Smash Lord
I don't want to support a tournament that is this far off from normal rules. A lot of the rules go against what I stand for in terms of competitive gaming and many of the stages add massive amount of luck. While I personally like DA, especially Wes and Dire, I strongly disagree with their outlook on competitive gaming in general, especially with regards to Smash.

I'm going to show up to this after spending $15 on gas and tolls, pay a $10 venue fee, deal with playing 10 noobs on horrendous stages, get jewed by some ******** stage, and then get 4th/5th out of 100 people with no money.

Not very enticing.
It's a shame you won't come, but nobody is right for knocking you for feeling that way.

There are people that will love it and people that will hate it.

Either way I think these tourneys will either grow hairs on chests or make people quit because they can't concentrate on the stage and fighting the opponent at the same time.

BUM163

Smash Lord
rockin...... obviously smash has hazzards in the game which

lava can burn and kill you

you can drown in water

massive cannonballs can blow you up

these are what you call hazzards rockin lol. i'm talking about how in real life those are hazzards and then i speak about how smash has hazzards..... you will be ok lol.

yo all i'm saying is, i will be going to this and other tournaments. to me i just like competeing. i can see where d.a is coming from, cause honestly some thing are out of hand.

i can also see where you are coming from inui with the payout only to 3rd place and up. maybe it should be top 5 if there is alot of people. smash honestly is a game about luck though. come on before we even had the wii's modded.... we had tripping lol. as a community to a child's game obviously, we make it competitive cause its a really fun game.

we try to play [neutral stages] to balance things out, but honestly those stages actually work good for the top tier characters. some characters require luck or a stage change or hazzard or a stage where they can get knock off.

mario circuit for example.... ganon and link won't have to worry about getting gimped anymore. the whole camping thing changes things also. i think its a good move to see other characters and stages being used. i would like to see inui and others play, but thats up to ya.

i will be attending this along with other types of tournaments.

DAlegendarysamus

Smash Lord
Skeet Skeet

rockin...... obviously smash has hazzards in the game which

lava can burn and kill you

you can drown in water

massive cannonballs can blow you up

these are what you call hazzards rockin lol. i'm talking about how in real life those are hazzards and then i speak about how smash has hazzards..... you will be ok lol.

yo all i'm saying is, i will be going to this and other tournaments. to me i just like competeing. i can see where d.a is coming from, cause honestly some thing are out of hand.

i can also see where you are coming from inui with the payout only to 3rd place and up. maybe it should be top 5 if there is alot of people. smash honestly is a game about luck though. come on before we even had the wii's modded.... we had tripping lol. as a community to a child's game obviously, we make it competitive cause its a really fun game.

we try to play [neutral stages] to balance things out, but honestly those stages actually work good for the top tier characters. some characters require luck or a stage change or hazzard or a stage where they can get knock off.

mario circuit for example.... ganon and link won't have to worry about getting gimped anymore. the whole camping thing changes things also. i think its a good move to see other characters and stages being used. i would like to see inui and others play, but thats up to ya.

i will be attending this along with other types of tournaments.
SAME HERE I WILL BE HOSTING AND ATTENDING THESE TYPES OF TOURNAMENTS. And also goign to you guys tournaments skeeting people

Atomsk_92

Smash Hero
I would go if I had a ride. I have no problem just b-throwing instead of d-throwing

BUM163

Smash Lord
i was telling wes about wario before and i'm telling him now lol

KnightMare516

Smash Lord
idk this seems so weird i might come to see what it is like. at least u banned the bucket from the gay standpoint. i think alot of ddd players will get dq out of habit LOL. I personally dont agree with these rules right now but we will see. if this was the norm for brawl the tier list would be different tho.

ANTi_

Smash Hero
Chars Im Pulling Out At This Now

Wario
DDD
Cario-Money
Snake

DireVulcan

Smash Lord
I like Atomsk's attitude.

He understands that without CG his character is still a menacing monster.

People are going to start bringing characters out of the woodwork now, you'll see.

Snakeee

Smash Master
Wait you can't even grab release as a combo??? If so, yeah Wario is top tier at this

And I agree with Ron. It should be simple enough with the stages available lol

ELI-mination

Smash Champion
You guys are nuts if you think Wario is the best character now

Peach, Marth, Kirby, and Olimar **** the **** out of Wario

And lets not forget how amazing GaW is

Top Bottom