• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Match-up #37 (Finale) - Zange-chan (TL) versus Steak (Sonic)?!

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Sonic

Credits to SasukeBowser for the image.

Ratio: 60:40 Toon Link

Synopsis:
Coming like...when you believe.

Onward!

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Warning: Immense Wall Of Text

This was immensly appealing, due to the A1 + girl + steak. What more could I want.

WALL OF TEXT COMING UP

So, weighing out pros cons

Toon Link
Pros
- Has 3 projectiles, one being an item you can run with
- Is lightweight, not easily comboed
- Has decent range due to a sword
- Has a Z-air for spacing
- Has a good recovery
- Can kill at normal percentages
- Can Quickdraw after 3 of his aerials
- Can combo with Back-air
- Has the blessing of Zange-Chan

Cons
- Very punishable grab
- Is leightweight, dies earlier
- Is quite gay
- Has a risky spike

Sonic
Pros
- Is incredibly fast (across FD in 55 frames)
- Has a ****load of feints to fake out your opponents
- Grab game is far above average
- Can followup easily
- Has some moves with great range (Think B-air, stutterstep F-smash, F-tilt)
- Near ungimpable recovery
- Has the power of steak
- 2 special moves which look a like, but are very different.
- Is midweight
- Spring gets Sonic out of situations that are bad

Cons
- Sometimes runs into the **** due to his awesome speed
- Has poor grab range
- Kills at high percentages
- Can't just throw out moves out of random
- Takes a crazy amount of time to become good with
- Due to brawls mechanics, sometimes loses second jump from spindashes (will not explain, is too much)

So this is what we have to weigh out on each other. I will repeat this list CROSS OUT the things that are not so important or irrelevant, and bold the important things.

Toon Link
Pros
- Has projectiles for camping | The projectiles for camping (arrow and boomerang) are rather slow and should not be feared by Sonic. Shield one arrow (2 if it's SHDA) and you're already at Toon Link. The boomerang sometimes slips out of your mind when returning but also, not really feared.
- Is lightweight, not easily comboed | Not too important, but not unimportant either. Sonic does not really combo, but he does have an easier time killing.
- Has decent range due to a sword | Spacing is important here. Do not let Sonic outrange you, you have the tools to keep him at bay mostly
- Has a Z-air for spacing | This isn't as important in this matchup as it is on slow character. Sonic does not really have a problem with this.
- Has a good recovery | One of Sonics stronger points is gimping. However, Sonic can not easily gimp TL. Well done.
- Can kill at normal percentages | Not much to say, just don't throw out attacks randomly. Sonic can punish it
- Can Quickdraw after 3 of his aerials | How awesome is this. You can make walls and walls with this, giving Sonic little chance to punish you. However, the cooldown on the Hero's Bow could be punished if the arrow is powershielded
- Can combo with Back-air | Spring gets Sonic out of this
- Has the blessing of Zange-Chan | Steak > Zange-Chan (:<
- Has freaking bombs | Should be hated by Sonic mains at all times. Bombs totally mess up your ground game and your pressure. Make sure you have one in your hands as much as you can

Cons
- Very punishable grab | You will not grab in this matchup. AT ALL. Sonic is so fast, he can run out of your grab range
- Is leightweight, dies earlier | Already talked about this
- Is quite gay | Like, ubergay
- Has a risky spike | The spike can actually become worthwile when you predict a Spring by Sonic. TIME THIS WELL, Spring has invincibility on the first half of his trajectory. PROTIP: I just realized, you will bounce on the spring if you miss during his invincibility frames. Yay for :toonlink:

Sonic
Pros
- Is incredibly fast (across FD in 55 frames) | This is not taken into account with matchups :(
- Has a ****load of feints to fake out your opponents | Also counts as mindgames and not for matchups
- Grab game is far above average | Sonics grab game is a really superior one. Pummel is 3%, throws are all 9% or more, the throws set up, D-throw can be tech chased, U-throw chained in other moves. NOTE: SONICS DOWN-THROW CAN BE TECHED IMMEDEATLY, THIS PUTS YOU RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM
- Can followup easily | Important, but less against Toon Link and his gay bombs and aerials
- Has some moves with great range (Think B-air, stutterstep F-smash, F-tilt) | Again, Toon Link outranges Sonic, but this still is useful
- Near ungimpable recovery | I dare you, gimp a Sonic
- Has the power of steak | Steak > Zange-chan
- 2 special moves which look a like, but are very different. | OH BOY, his rolls. You will hate these
- Is midweight | Meh
- Spring gets Sonic out of situations that are bad | Nullifies B-air barrage. PROTIP: Some Sonics like to do a lagless D-air after a Spring. Take this to your advantage. Just jump with an Up-air and see them die.

Cons
- Sometimes runs into the **** due to his awesome speed | Shouldn't happen
- Has poor grab range | Sonic will find a way to grab you. Indeed.
- Kills at high percentages | Good for you. You will not get gimped and live up to 110-160%
- Can't just throw out moves out of random | He's no MK
- Takes a crazy amount of time to become good with | Matchups are discussed at the highest level of play
- Due to brawls mechanics, sometimes loses second jump from spindashes (will not explain, is too much) | You suck if you don't know your own characters mechanics

As you can see this is a huge wall of text.
Useful links: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=170844 IMPORTANT READ
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=214640 How to punish Sonics bad habits
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=6438995#post6438995 See insight on this matchup from our point of view, write-up not done yet

So, if anyone wants to brawl me, PM me.
I will post more later, not a list of pros/cons, but more tactics.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
U dare me to gimp a sonic? I have with dair =P. Eh, good read I guess but what about the matchup number?
I have played sonics (nowhere near the awesome Umby) but still decent sonics and Ive always found the matchup to be in our favor because of bombs + sword ;). And protip: Whenever u use side b we can just rang or SHDA :). I say 60:40 tink.

PS- I hate ur stutter step fsmash >_>

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
U dare me to gimp a sonic? I have with dair =P. Eh, good read I guess but what about the matchup number?
I have played sonics (nowhere near the awesome Umby) but still decent sonics and Ive always found the matchup to be in our favor because of bombs + sword ;). And protip: Whenever u use side b we can just rang or SHDA :). I say 60:40 tink.

PS- I hate ur stutter step fsmash >_>
I agree on that number, however you obviously won't have the oppurtunity to SHDA when we use side-b. We won't pull that out when we're at the other side of the level. It's more of a punishment move, or as a pressure move. And it's not gimping if you spike with D-air >_>

Umby

Smash Master
Goddamnit. I check the TL boards for the first time in a decade, and this steak shit shows up. Fuck you VietG.

Bomb pull = Free grab. In the case of VietG, who jumps too high, it can mean a free spring -> uair too.

Zair is weird. Perfect shielding shenanigans become less effective against it.

Arrows are a minimal threat, so I never worry about them.

Boomerang is the projectile to watch out for. Spinshot pretty much gets around everything else, but boomerang can be angled.

That said, on paper, TL easily has a 60:40 advantage due to the basic stuff, but Sonic can easily find his way around projectiles, easily bait & punish smash attacks, and I dare say he can beat out TL in the air (barring back air. Uair is up for debate due to its properties, but you can see it a mile away. Same goes for dair.). Pushing it down to 55:45 or 50:50 if you want to push it. Toon Link's range on his sword attacks still give him that last minute advantage. Plus, Zair just really is that annoying.

P.S. I don't recognize Umby as an awesome Sonic anymore :(

You shouldn't have been doing so in the first place.

P.S. @VietG: What anime was Ryoko from again?

edit:

And protip: Whenever u use side b we can just rang or SHDA :).
Hmm. Well, I can't say too many Sonics will side B at a range that will allow them to get ***** like that, and at the least, boomerang could be nulled by the (invincibility? I forgot) frames that Spin Dash gets at the apex of its hop.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
*most important post you will read in this thread*

I think full hops should be used for projectiles.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
It was sorta a joke. =3

No, but really. Its like: "Short hop -> bomb pull" *get hit with spin charge as you land* (I think that's what Sonic's Side-B is called)

Hyro

Smash Lord
I just played an amazing Sonic recently. If you let them spindash everywhere, it's pretty ****. If you can spam enough to stop them, your all good. They like to short hop spindash to avoid ground spam. SHDA is your best best best friend in this matchup. It will win you the game ;D

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Goddamnit. I check the TL boards for the first time in a decade, and this steak shit shows up. Fuck you VietG.

Hmm. Well, I can't say too many Sonics will side B at a range that will allow them to get ***** like that, and at the least, boomerang could be nulled by the (invincibility? I forgot) frames that Spin Dash gets at the apex of its hop.
LOLs, we still love you Umby even if you hate us all and our crusade to represent the Steak in Brawl.

Anyway it's strange, because I have gone through the Boomerang even though I was at the apex of the SDJ and past it. I think it has something to do with how decayed the moves are, but regardless you are very correct when you say the first 4 invincibility frames will just cut right through the thing.

I would post more but I don't want to mislead you guys on anything other than what I know about both charcters and compare (but G2FTW probably took really good care of that already), and that I haven't fought a Toon Link player in a pretty long time. Besides that the player only 2nd him, I have never gotten any other offline experience, and Wi-Fi doesn't count for @#$% when I'm trying to get my feints and junk accomplished.

I guess you could say it is 6:4, maybe 55:45 if you want to push it but bleh.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
You've been playing Sonics on With Anyone. Grab > Spindash/charge
I don't play with anyone.
Tornado<Fsmash.
If the MK is stupid enough to get smashed.
See my point?
Spindash/charge get grabbed when they are done in a stupidly obvious fashion.
Well, Toon Link needs to be at a certain distance to make use of projectiles, no?
Up close = getting immediately punished
far away = projectiles don't reach
mid- distance= perfect

So by the time TL is at mid-range and short hopping, Sonic can reach him with spin charge.
And Sonic should be paying attention to Toon Link's position, so this should be easier.

I'm not saying ever "Short hop -> follow up will be punished", I'm say that its very possible for Sonic to punish it.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Well...let's see, I have a little T.Link experience so here we go.

As mentioned, T. Link's projectiles are pretty **** from mid range...that's it.
T. Link will almost always use SH projectiles and aerials when retreating. However, T. Link's arrows and such are very slow, and Sonic's ground speed does a great job here at closing the gap. Sonic can very quickly get around the projectiles and grab T. Link right as he's landing from the SH.

I honestly think T. Links would do much better against Sonic if they just kinda stood around and did jabs and stuff for most of the match...T. Link is much easier to punish when he's jumping around in the air.

T. Link's aerials beat out most of Sonics though, but T. Link only has Dair to protect him from above, so Uair is good at poking underneath (assuming the T. Link won't spam Dair at every opportunity, especially if there's a chance of getting caught on a platform) I believe Sonic's Bair can out range some of T. Link's aerials too.

Sonic's gimping game is kinda weak against T. Link since he can pretty much protect himself with aerials/projectiles when he's making it back to the stage, and his UpB goes surprisingly far (maybe to me since I'm so used playing against regular Link XD)

I don't have too much else to add, but please correct me if anything I said is false.

:093:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Camal, T.Link does have Bombs, though I wouldn't know how good those are for covering his underside.

I was going to suggest FF Nairs but lol forget it.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
He can air dodge and drop a bomb at the same time, so that sorta covers his underside (and the rest of him).

iRjOn

Smash Lord
Ehh Toon Link wont let you top stage kill that often dair will sufice. But yes bombs work and ibomb (what sasuke described earlier) works too.

Bombs and arrows are your best projectiles here.
Toon Link should never sit still and spam.
Ehh I write more if I have too...

Lobos

Smash Master
what else can be said here? bair > sonics dash attacks

Sonic reminds me of a fly. Like trying to kill a fly with a thin piece of paper.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Ehh Toon Link wont let you top stage kill that often dair will sufice. But yes bombs work and ibomb (what sasuke described earlier) works too.

Bombs and arrows are your best projectiles here.
Nobody said we would try to hit T.Link's downside at the beiling blastzone. >.>

I also kind of think Arrows are too linear to be of any use, unless you know the Sonic has no other choice but to get hit by it.

And because it has to be done.

DTilt > Sonic.

Also I can't help but be in awe of the effort put into the picture in the OP.... so fasinating...

... Okay da**** I won't lie, I'ma sucker for anime women! :(

You would be pretty sad too if you were in my shoes... :/

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
You're welcome Kinzer.

Zange-chan is the Toon Link board's savior.
Just another reason to main TL. =P

ALL HAIL ZANGE-CHAN!

..... *needs to think of something related to the match up*
>_>

I agree that arrows are fail here.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
At least someone believes me huh Sasuke? As long as we're together...no one can defeat us!

BELIEVE IT!

/not trying to be homo but resistance is futile

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
lol @ Viet changing the pic to a less homo one.
I saw wut u did thar.

And yeah, sure Viet? ^_^;

<_<
BOMB ARE VERY USEFUL IF YOU APPLY THEM CORRECTLY AND CAN LEAD TO MAKE FOLLOW-UPS.

iRjOn

Smash Lord
Nobody said we would try to hit T.Link's downside at the beiling blastzone. >.>

I also kind of think Arrows are too linear to be of any use, unless you know the Sonic has no other choice but to get hit by it.

And because it has to be done.

DTilt > Sonic.

Also I can't help but be in awe of the effort put into the picture in the OP.... so fasinating...

... Okay da**** I won't lie, I'ma sucker for anime women! :(

You would be pretty sad too if you were in my shoes... :/
Ehh I didn't say anyone did.
Top stage kills are Sonics bests kills.
Spring is beast.
But still just pointing out some of Sonic's kill options.
I may point out others later.

Arrows are ok if used correctly I dont see why they'd be useless if used like they should in bow cancels and such.
Of course we cant abuse arrows this match up.
But they are still useful to disrupt Sonic's flow sometimes.

Zange-chan is sexy.
<3

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Actually, U-throw > Spring > U-air followup trades hit with TL's D-air if done at correct %. This will spike you into the ground (ohno the horror >_>) and star KO TL.

Tenki

Smash Hero

----------------

1) lol
2) The invincibility isn't at the apex, it's at the release.

But I did see a bunch of BS about Sonic's spindash as an approach so I know how you feel ._.;

T. Link's aerials beat out most of Sonics though, but T. Link only has Dair to protect him from above, so Uair is good at poking underneath (assuming the T. Link won't spam Dair at every opportunity, especially if there's a chance of getting caught on a platform) I believe Sonic's Bair can out range some of T. Link's aerials too.
Eh? That almost didn't make sense.

D-air hits below TL, so it doesn't protect him from above at all.
TL's U-air actually has quite a hitbox around/(possibly below?) him. I haven't played a TL in a while but I remember being rather annoyed at how I got hit from some really stupid angle by TL's U-air.

------------------------------

Now my main rant.

Spindash should not be considered as a direct approach that, if you can nullify it, somehow cripples Sonic's gameplay.

Wanna know how to beat a Sonic's spindash roll (the grounded, rolling part of it)? Jab. No, throw a bomb. No wait, how about jumping backwards and doing N-air/Z-air/F-air/B-air? Shield it, and most Sonics will jump to do an aerial. That's when you shield and jump a U-air OoS to easily punish it.

Now for the side-B (spindash hop), it has invincibility frames upon release ( like how Ike has super armor frames on his Neutral B ). As a defensive move, it's perfect, since it will go through your attack and sets up for an aerial. On the ground, we can shield cancel it before it's fully charged, which is probably the most common use for it. Against shield, we can get away from any OoS movement because we're free to spring out of it at any point, unless we don't have a double jump.

And for the down-B, our aerial down-B, also known as ASC, can do multiple hits if you don't DI out of it (lol, what the direction is, beats me), but like ALL spindash moves, it's way too easy to outprioritize. It's one of Sonic's highest risk + highest reward moves, easily leading to around 30%+ damage at low-mid%'s. We can double jump out of it as long as we still have double jumps, and we can also shield cancel it, but only upon landing.

TL;DR
Spindash is a fraeking defensive move. >__>
It's really easy to outprioritize or stop.
Its best use is to punish lag.

And lag as in:
- predictable startup lag
- ending lag
- internet lag
- your (reflexes are) too slow lag
- (you should know this matchup) lag

So please, I hope to never see anyone try to consider that move as a ****, or even a decent direct approach ever again.

Tenki

Smash Hero

And lag as in:
[1] - predictable startup lag
[2] - ending lag
[3] - internet lag
[4] - your (reflexes are) too slow lag
[5] - (you should know this matchup) lag

So please, I hope to never see anyone try to consider that move as a ****, or even a decent direct approach ever again.
If you meant his matches against ADHD's Diddy, I just watched them and paid attention.

ADHD never grabs him out of his SDRs [5], got quite a few banana throws landed on SDR's. He lands some SDR's on ADHD's missed peanut gun [2], and hits some SDJ's > aerials as ADHD is falling sometimes.

However, he does use the SDR/SDJ as a bait for item throws (bananas), and generally does a good job of catching them by cancelling his SDR with an instant aerial [1].

He doesn't always use an aerial after hitting the shield with SDR/SDJ, so he opens up the ability to airdodge a possible counterattack when ADHD shields.

Malcolm's most dangerous/best movements were done out of dashes and other moves, while spindash was generally used for baiting or the "just-in-case-it-hits" situations.
---------------------

Anyway, it still stands that SDR/SDJ is still a rather vulnerable approach.

My main rant is that alot of people think that once you have a way to deal with spindash, you have some sort of sizeable advantage and severely limit Sonic's options.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Cons
- Is quite gay
lol
BELIEVE IT!

this thread delivers

What else can I say about the matchup? :/

It's all pretty much been said. I think. There were too many walls of text, it was intimidating. I read something about arrows sucking in this matchup, and Toon Link getting punished for trying to use projectiles.

Bah, I don't know enough about how "good" (all the Sonic mains seem to have different opinions on what is "good") Sonics play to judge how it goes against TL.

Let me ask this: if Sonic is approaching with his Side B spinny thing, or his Down B spinny thing, do they get beaten by arrows/boomerangs? I seem to remember arrows hitting him out of at least one of those spinny attacks, while boomerangs just clashed.

And bombs always hit, pretty sure.

iRjOn

Smash Lord
Yea Asdioh Spin Dash and Charge are out prioritized by bombs and arrows and clash with the rang

Unless they use Sonic invicibility during the staring hop of his spin charge.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
It's hard because not one of us has similar playstyles, and of course we're all going to find different matchups either much easier/difficult.

That's not really a problem though when it comes down to tourneys, we all get far with our shizz, so it doesn't even really matter.

We can't even really decide who the best Sonic could be, we all just agree that it is Malcolm/Espy as "candidates."

It all probably has to do with Sakurai, of course.

... Anyway when Sonic is rolling on the ground with his trailing/outlining Blue "Aura", it's universally referred to as his Spindash Roll.

Fun bonus BTW, if we manage to pull of instant-SDR, we can go right through most any attack since Sonic maintains his "transcedent" priority and nothing (AFAIK) can hit him out of it, only clank at worst. It's very noticeable on Yoshi's Isle (either one works) on the slanted parts. It's just too bad if he turns around or jumps he loses the transcendency (is that a real word?).

PhoenixoKaZe

Smash Ace
NNID
Toffykun
1) lol
2) The invincibility isn't at the apex, it's at the release.

But I did see a bunch of BS about Sonic's spindash as an approach so I know how you feel ._.;

Eh? That almost didn't make sense.

D-air hits below TL, so it doesn't protect him from above at all.
TL's U-air actually has quite a hitbox around/(possibly below?) him. I haven't played a TL in a while but I remember being rather annoyed at how I got hit from some really stupid angle by TL's U-air.

------------------------------

Now my main rant.

Spindash should not be considered as a direct approach that, if you can nullify it, somehow cripples Sonic's gameplay.

Wanna know how to beat a Sonic's spindash roll (the grounded, rolling part of it)? Jab. No, throw a bomb. No wait, how about jumping backwards and doing N-air/Z-air/F-air/B-air? Shield it, and most Sonics will jump to do an aerial. That's when you shield and jump a U-air OoS to easily punish it.

Now for the side-B (spindash hop), it has invincibility frames upon release ( like how Ike has super armor frames on his Neutral B ). As a defensive move, it's perfect, since it will go through your attack and sets up for an aerial. On the ground, we can shield cancel it before it's fully charged, which is probably the most common use for it. Against shield, we can get away from any OoS movement because we're free to spring out of it at any point, unless we don't have a double jump.

And for the down-B, our aerial down-B, also known as ASC, can do multiple hits if you don't DI out of it (lol, what the direction is, beats me), but like ALL spindash moves, it's way too easy to outprioritize. It's one of Sonic's highest risk + highest reward moves, easily leading to around 30%+ damage at low-mid%'s. We can double jump out of it as long as we still have double jumps, and we can also shield cancel it, but only upon landing.

TL;DR
Spindash is a fraeking defensive move. >__>
It's really easy to outprioritize or stop.

And lag as in:
- predictable startup lag
- ending lag
- internet lag
- your (reflexes are) too slow lag
- (you should know this matchup) lag

Basically he has more apporaches better than just SDR all over the place XD ^^

Tenki

Smash Hero
ohyeah, I think TL might be one of the characters who can 'safely' try to spike Sonic out of his spring (through the vulnerability window), since, if it misses, he pogo sticks off of the falling spring.

Fun bonus BTW, if we manage to pull of instant-SDR, we can go right through most any attack since Sonic maintains his "transcedent" priority and nothing (AFAIK) can hit him out of it, only clank at worst. It's very noticeable on Yoshi's Isle (either one works) on the slanted parts. It's just too bad if he turns around or jumps he loses the transcendency (is that a real word?).
it's invincible SDR, not instant.

And it doesn't have transcendent priority. It's just... invincible.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Let me ask this: if Sonic is approaching with his Side B spinny thing, or his Down B spinny thing, do they get beaten by arrows/boomerangs? I seem to remember arrows hitting him out of at least one of those spinny attacks, while boomerangs just clashed.
...@_@
You must re(cover)ad

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
it's invincible SDR, not instant.

And it doesn't have transcendent priority. It's just... invincible.
GD it I keep getting confused between invincible and instant, seeing as how when you do the stupid thing it is both instant and invincible anyway!

Also what's the difference? I guess you could tell me here so that if anybody else doesn't know they will, but if you don't want to clog up this board you can just leave me a friendly visitor's message.

Top Bottom