• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl+ Thread: Custom Stage Discussion

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Okay. So basically, anyone who has Brawl+ has access to an SD card, a computer, and can xfer files between the computer and the SD card. Because we're not the kind of people who want to play on the same 1-3 stages over and over and over, but of course, because of banned stages and what not, we cant use the whole slew of stages offered to us because of how they work ie 75M (Which is a PRO ONLY STAGE imo, but whatever.)

So, it's been brought up before, but I want to bring it back up in a specific topic dedicated to the idea of Neutral Stages being made (and possibly counterpicks) for a larger stage selection in Brawl+.

The idea generally is somewhat well receieved, but the main turn off is that when you turn on custom stages in random, all custom stages are added to the pool of random stages and is not specific.

If I do recall correctly though, please tell me if I am wrong, stages on either the Console or SD card arent placed into the random queue. Meaning, if x stage is on A, and random stages only picks up custom stages from the B, stages on A will not be ever picked on random and always must be hand picked. Using this form of method, would it be a smart idea to create neutral stages to place on random, but move counterpicks to the non-queue side in order to keep them playable but just not selectable via random?

If this is an acceptable method, what is the general consensus on Custom Stages as viable options? It would be easier to distribute and less likely to be altered due to visial changes. It would add variety to the stage selection list and make matches more varied.

We could ask the B+ community to make stages and label them as counterpicks/neutrals, and the B+ Backroomers and B+ Team could test out the validity of stages and see how they fair.

What would make this better is the fact that with B+, you have HBC and GeckoOS, so you have access to Stage Builder codes in which grants the player the ability to be completely/near-completely unrestricted in Stage Building, to create even more varied stages.

On top of that, we have a Stage Builder program, so that you don't even need to own the game at all in order to create stages in which could be used in a Brawl+ tournament setting.

In my own personal opinion, it would only take some decent management and an okay amount of dedication to make Brawl+ better. And by absuing the way Brawl uses Custom Stages with Random (assuming what I said prior about Random Selection is true) it would be easy to keep certain custom stages out of random rotation.

Your thoughts?

EDIT: To help better understand what I was explaing about the SD/Console thing.

<GameSystem> first
<GameSystem> what do you mean by this part
<GameSystem> Meaning, if x stage is on A, and random stages only picks up custom stages from the B, stages on A will not be ever picked on random and always must be hand picked. Using this form of method, would it be a smart idea to create neutral stages to place on random, but move counterpicks to the non-queue side in order to keep them playable but just not selectable via random?
<[BD]GHNeko> Okay
<[BD]GHNeko> Basically I was saying
<[BD]GHNeko> For example
<[BD]GHNeko> Stages stored on the Console memory
<[BD]GHNeko> are picked up by the random queue when you turn custom stages on in random select
<[BD]GHNeko> but stages on the SD card
<[BD]GHNeko> are not picked up
<[BD]GHNeko> So if you turn on custom stages
<[BD]GHNeko> any stage in the SD card
<[BD]GHNeko> will never be picked
<Raym> we store neutrals and the counters in the sd?
<[BD]GHNeko> through random select
<GameSystem> that works raym
<[BD]GHNeko> So you could store neutrals in the console
<GameSystem> i was going to say that but you beat me
<[BD]GHNeko> and counters in the SD
<[BD]GHNeko> That way
<GameSystem> copy paste that stuff right now lol
<[BD]GHNeko> Lolk

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
The limitations of the original stage builder is one key reason it was never adopted to make stages for vBrawl. With the new program and hacks I'd love to see a few stages added to keep things fresh. One stage I want to see made is the first stop in Castle Siege. It's a perfect neutral, but the other two sections are great for counterpicking. It's also unique to the stage.

Raym

Smash Apprentice
We could put the neutrals in the Wii, so they can be chosen in Random, and we put the Counters in the SD so you can choose them, but they cant be chosen in Random.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
We could put the neutrals in the Wii, so they can be chosen in Random, and we put the Counters in the SD so you can choose them, but they cant be chosen in Random.
Exactly, so through this method, we could have more stages in random queue so we're not playing on the same small selection.

The potential with Custom Stages is untapped and virtually infinite, if we capitalize on this, we can make the game alot more enjoyable.

GameSystem

Smash Journeyman
Also, loading up stages from a SD card or online does not take long at all. Much less time than installing HBC. I don't think there should be any complaints.

The Cape

Smash Master
There is a stage builder program that allows you to overlap blocks out there and a hack code that lets you make things bigger than the game allows. There is also a code to make slanted edges grabbable.

With these things you can make all kinds of stages.

I rebuilt stages from Melee and N64 already including:
N64:
DK64
Mario Castle
Hyrule Castle
Saffron City

Melee:
Peach's Castle
Fountain of dreams

As well as one or two others that could be counterpick plausible. I like this idea.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Also, loading up stages from a SD card or online does not take long at all. Much less time than installing HBC. I don't think there should be any complaints.
You dont even need to softmod your console to use custom stages. Hacked stages or not. Its safer than abstinence

Revven

FrankerZ
There is a stage builder program that allows you to overlap blocks out there and a hack code that lets you make things bigger than the game allows. There is also a code to make slanted edges grabbable.

With these things you can make all kinds of stages.

I rebuilt stages from Melee and N64 already including:
N64:
DK64
Mario Castle
Hyrule Castle
Saffron City

Melee:
Peach's Castle
Fountain of dreams

As well as one or two others that could be counterpick plausible. I like this idea.
Are the ones you mentioned the PERFECT size and stuff? If so, DO WANT.

I also mostly like this idea as well.

GameSystem

Smash Journeyman
You dont even need to softmod your console to use custom stages. Hacked stages or not. Its safer than abstinence
Abstinence isn't even safe. There is a case of it failing some 2000 years ago.

Not my joke. Neko, you set yourself up for that one

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
What!? What is this code? I MUST have it. That completely changes custom stages for me.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
<[BD]GHNeko> OKay
<[BD]GHNeko> I have results
<[BD]GHNeko> the random stage select does NOT pick up stages from the SD card
<[BD]GHNeko> Only from the console
<[BD]GHNeko> I just did 10 random selects
<[BD]GHNeko> 3 stages
<[BD]GHNeko> Smashville, SD Stage, and Console Stage
-----

Stages: Smashville, SD Stage, Console Stage

1: Smashville
2: Console Stage
3: Smashville
4: Console Stage
5: Smashville
6: Console Stage
7: Smashville
8: Console Stage
9: Console Stage
10: Smashville

There you have it folks. Now that we know for sure, should we push for Custom Stages for Brawl+?

EDIT: I'd also liek to add, that AllisBrawl has a whole library of stages that can be used. Granted 70%+ arent what we are looking for, what we might find a few gems up there.

http://allisbrawl.com/stages/browse.aspx

Swordplay

Smash Lord
I would love it if we could find a way to play custom stages online (providing the players are playing the same custom stage)

Revven

FrankerZ
I would love it if we could find a way to play custom stages online (providing the players are playing the same custom stage)
It's already been done, there's a code for it, but both players need to play the Custom Stage offline first before going online. And, you can only play on that Custom Stage, to play on any other, you have to go back offline and play another one (make sure your opponents do as well) and then go back on and select "Random" get the custom stage.

There are tons of YT videos of it in action if you wish to see how it works.

homsar

Smash Ace
I don't see whats wrong with the way it is now. Melee had a similar amount of random stages and no one complained. That said, if this does happen I will definatley submit some stages.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I don't see whats wrong with the way it is now. Melee had a similar amount of random stages and no one complained. That said, if this does happen I will definatley submit some stages.
Nothing is wrong with it. If it doesn't happen, nothing is lost, but there is much to gain as it adds levels of variety and strategy, and encourages people to increase their skills in adaptability. Subtle changes in levels creates new strategies on the go and can make matches more exciting.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Cape - Thanks, but I knew all of that already. :( I was mainly wanting the code that lets you grab onto ledges.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Doesn't really work when you want slanted ledges that you can grab, though. :(

Prime example would be remaking Hyrule Castle 64.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Doesn't really work when you want slanted ledges that you can grab, though. :(

Prime example would be remaking Hyrule Castle 64.
Who knows. You might be able to find a way to work around it. Especially with the stage builder.

Hell. Ill try the ***** now.

EDIT: Augh. You're right. It's not currently possible to add ledges to slanted pieces. :/

The video I just uploaded shows the closest thing I could make for Hyrule Temple.

EDIT2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvJRmvXtQTA < Hyrule

Team Giza

Smash Lord
Abstinence isn't even safe. There is a case of it failing some 2000 years ago.
Link to real historical evidence or it never happened. :laugh:

I don't want to see stages made in the stage builder making it into brawl+. Though some of the stages are sorta nice it just seems so cheap and tasteless. It seems like we have enough neutral stages. I think it would be better to focus on trying to turn some of the banned stages into counterpick stages.

Gennie

Smash Apprentice
This thread really does need attention though. I fail to see how this is a bad idea. ._.
This, I would love to see more emphasis on this idea, breaking the limits of the stage builder is just what we need for stage variety

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Actually, I went over a few custom stages I made for this idea and re-did them so that they feel and play alot better, though 2 of the neutrals seem more CPish to me.

Teronist09

Smash Journeyman
Actually, I went over a few custom stages I made for this idea and re-did them so that they feel and play alot better, though 2 of the neutrals seem more CPish to me.
Are they smaller versions of the ones from your video? The ones I saw in your video looked like they'd be cps because of how slanted most of the playing field was.
You should check AllIsBrawl's stage browser. There are some pretty good stages that could be used as is there, and plenty of stages that could be modified to serve as cps/neutrals.

I'd like to know how much can be done with stage creator and custom stages. If it would be possible to rotate pieces by like 90 degrees to let us put stuff sideways and upside down it could add alot to building. Or if we could edit the boundaries on custom stages to make larger courses/walk-offs.
edit: or custom backgrounds -___-

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Are they smaller versions of the ones from your video? The ones I saw in your video looked like they'd be cps because of how slanted most of the playing field was.
You should check AllIsBrawl's stage browser. There are some pretty good stages that could be used as is there, and plenty of stages that could be modified to serve as cps/neutrals.

I'd like to know how much can be done with stage creator and custom stages. If it would be possibly to rotate pieces by like 90 degrees to let us put stuff sideways and upside down it could add alot to building. Or if we could edit the boundaries on custom stages to make larger courses/walk-offs.
edit: or custom backgrounds -___-
I've actually made the stages smaller and more viable, though 2 of them seem CPish as I've stated before.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
I think this has been said before, but, say you have Spear Pillar defaultivly (is that a word?) frozen. If you choose it and hold shield it won't be frozen. Since the default Spear Pillar is frozen is it still possible for random to pick the non-frozen one?

EDIT: Nevermind this edit lol

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I like this idea...but, we're forgetting one thing...using custom textures requires the Disable Custom Stages code... :(

It's basically one or the other, and quite frankly, i want my Falconchu

Wait What? Are you really gonna chose custom textures over ****ing tourney viable stages? Really now?

Come on.

Jaigoda

Smash Apprentice
Is it possible to take out certain parts of a stage? For instance, taking away only the lava tidal wave thing on Norfair and leaving the other effects. Leaving only a few lava effects or taking away all of them would make Norfair a much more viable stage. I really love the layout of the stage, and think it has a lot of potential.

I think this idea would be really useful for Pictochat, where you take away the dangerous hazards (the missles, the plant thing), but keep all of the cool terrain changes.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Unless you make some pixel perfect Hyrule Castles and Saffron Cities, yeah.

:laugh:

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

D:

Is it possible to take out certain parts of a stage? For instance, taking away only the lava tidal wave thing on Norfair and leaving the other effects. Leaving only a few lava effects or taking away all of them would make Norfair a much more viable stage. I really love the layout of the stage, and think it has a lot of potential.

I think this idea would be really useful for Pictochat, where you take away the dangerous hazards (the missles, the plant thing), but keep all of the cool terrain changes.

Errrr...Wrong thread... >_>

Zodac

Smash Journeyman
Top Bottom