• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chomp Uses/Bite Guide

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Topics for discussion

Chomp is a really versatile and useful grab move that is often underused. Sooo.... I made this thread to discuss some of its uses, such as:

1. Which projectiles can it eat and at what distances? Which ones does it not work on?

2. Is a Wariocide possible with chomp?

3. Does it outprioritize all other grabs?

4. What moves does chomp not outprioritize?

Some of these are in the guide but fell free to help test them.

Bite Guide

Okay, I'm not going to explain what chomp is, since you can probably find most of the general info you need at either smashboards or smashwiki:
Boards: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=224269 (MC's Wario Guide)
Wiki: http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Chomp

Ok, you'll see a lot of underlined things that say something like "requires testing". They're like that just so I (or anyone who wants to help) can quickly scan through the guide and see what I need to finish up.

Projectiles that wario can eat:
See smashwiki. In case you're too lazy, it's basically anything that can be picked up (but the wiki has more info so you should probably check). If wario eats an explosive item, he will take 6% damage, which never changes. From my testing, it took 38 frames for him to go through the whole animation (starting with when he starts swallowing until he is standing normally).
If you eat an explosive, nearby opponents will be hit for 13% damage with some good knockback. On the edge of final destination, mario will die if he is hit at 60% or more with no DI. From the middle of the stage, mario will die at 92% with no DI. However, with items turned off, the only two explosives that can be eaten are Snake's grenades and Link/Toon Link's bombs. While this may not have much practical use, it could be used occasionally as a surprise KO.
At some point, I will put the amount of frames it takes to eat the different projectiles, but that will probably come last since it's not as important as some of the other things.

Does it outprioritize all other grabs?

Almost. It outprioritizes all regular grabs. In addition, there are 4 special grabs (chomp, Bowser's side b, Yoshi's neutral b, and Ganondorf's side b). It outprioritizes gannondorf's, but not bowser's or yoshi's. However, chomp comes out faster, so you can often catch them during their startup animation. The only one I'm not 100% sure about is Bowser's side b... it's hard to test. I think it has higher priority but feel free to test it and tell me what you find.

Moves that chomp does not outprioritize (incomplete):
Luigi's down b
Bowser's side b (special grab)
Yoshi's neutral b (special grab)
ROB's side b? (hasn't been tested)
Also, most moves will damage Wario if he is hit by them right before he chomps, but they will trade hitboxes and he will only suffer damage; there is no knockback and the chomp will still happen normally.

Frame data:
MC's guide has it... use the link above.
Also, from my data, Chomp first grabs people in the 11th frame.

Is a wariocide possible using chomp?

Possible, yes. Likely, no. Most good people, as Straked said, can DI out of it pretty quickly. But with a good setup and high damage on the opponent, it could probably work. Just don't count on it. You could also try to drop them off below the middle of the stage and if they have a poor recovery, watch them fall to their doom. Wario could possible survive this, due to his excellent horizontal air movement. He is, after all, able to safely travel under Final Destination even without the use of his down b.

Amount of bites possible based on damage:

0-9%- 7 bites
10-49%- 8 bites
50-69%- 9 bites
70-109%- 10 bites
110-149%-11 bites
Unless someone can come up with a good reason for me to do further testing, I probably won't test the amounts of bites possible past this. If your opponent has 160 damage you should worry less about what percent you can get them to and more about the fact that you can easily kill them at this point. Thus, further testing is unnecessary. I will, however, allow others to contribute further data if they wish to;).
Each bite does 2 damage and the automatic throw at the end does 5. So if someone is a good button masher, they could do 40+ damge with just two chomps. Unfortunately, good button mashers can escape fast as well. You'll probably only get a few bites on a good player.

Other interesting info:

At the edge of Final Destination, with the maximum amount of bites and the throw at the end (automatic), Mario can be killed at 231% (when you first grab him).
Sometimes, Wario's duration for holding the opponent will be much shorter than normal. I have not found a logical explanation for it and it seems to happen randomly. Any helpful information about this is greatly appreciated.

I'm willing to accept suggestions for things to add (other than to finish testing), but that's all for now.

Credits (other than myself):

Straked and DemonFart, for suggesting a bite guide.
MorphedChaos, for the wario guide
YagamiDark, for the trading hitboxes part
stnapknah, for some bite info

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Well, I wouldn't count on Wariocide very often, many good players can DI out of it early. But this is actually helpful because they can be stagespiked if you play it right.

Can eat most physical projectiles, like bombs and his own bike. No energy projectiles, though.

Yeah, pretty sure. It's also useful when your opponent grabs a ledge, you can usually chomp them if they roll up.

There's few moves, I actually don't know what they are.

And I think this is actually a move specific thread, it has potential, but it's just at an early stage in it's young life. Just let it roll, and give your opinion. See if this contributes at all.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Freaking ddd can grab u right out of bite so gay >_<
Yeah, that's why he's my main char.:)

But, back to wario.... I know that luigi's down b beats chomp and i think rob's side b does. But I'm not sure other than that.

In terms of the wariocide, I was just wondering: Since chomp outprioritizes most up b moves, could you use it when they're coming from below the stage?:confused: It seems like they would either die or they would escape well below the stage and only those with good recoveries could get back. Just trying to bring up possibilities.

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
Yeah, that's why he's my main char.:)

But, back to wario.... I know that luigi's down b beats chomp and i think rob's side b does. But I'm not sure other than that.

In terms of the wariocide, I was just wondering: Since chomp outprioritizes most up b moves, could you use it when they're coming from below the stage?:confused: It seems like they would either die or they would escape well below the stage and only those with good recoveries could get back. Just trying to bring up possibilities.
If you are at high percent and they are at low percent you might as well try it. You can even use ledge invincibility frames to make sure you eat most recoveries lol. (I just discovered that yesterday actually haha though I'm sure it would make sense to anyone >_<)

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
No, really. Who is actually going to die from a Wariocide? P:
You need a massive set up, and it won't happen often. Maybe once in a good while.

Mister E

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2208-7088-4154
No, really. Who is actually going to die from a Wariocide? P:
You need a massive set up, and it won't happen often. Maybe once in a good while.
Ness when he tries to recover with his Up B :p

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
You can actually surprise good players with Wariocides/Bite stage spikes more often than you'd think, lol.

It's not reliable, by any means, but it's good for a mixup.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Lol, I know that. I said it can be done at times, but only with massive setups. This would be 10 times easier if Wario had a spike.

I'm just saying, anyone can DI out fast enough, lol.

Wario Nut

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure exactly which moves do, but it seems that the other character has to come almost into contact with Wario before their move connects.(things like Yohsi's Bair are what I'm getting this from.)

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
You could always convert this thread into a bite guide. Test out some moves, then tell us.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
If you don't start soon, I will. :mad:
HULK SMASHHHHH!!1!11 :mad:

brinboy789

Smash Champion
oh FD:

ledge drop > jump > no DI, chomp. at lower percentages, shouldnt it hit the lip of FD if you release them at the right time? and then after that, footstool? sorta like DK's fthrow stagespike?

just an idea lol. maybe?

YagamiDark

Smash Journeyman
"Also, most moves will damage Wario if he is hit by them right before he chomps, but due to super armor he will only suffer damage; there is no knockback and the chomp will still happen normally."

No super armor.
It's a grab attack, it's just trading hitboxes.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
"Also, most moves will damage Wario if he is hit by them right before he chomps, but due to super armor he will only suffer damage; there is no knockback and the chomp will still happen normally."

No super armor.
It's a grab attack, it's just trading hitboxes.
Thanks, I fixed it.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I already mentioned stage-spiking with bite, guys. -.-

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Ok, the guide is almost done, and I would really appreciate it if people would help test which moves outprioritize chomp and the frame data for eating projectiles, since those are really annoying for just one person to do. I'm pretty much done with everything else, except for the amount of possible bites, which I will be finishing up today.

stnapknah

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure the # of bites you can get it depends on how well your opponent is mashing. Most good players can get out after 3 chomps but some stay in it for all of them. Also, I've found that it helps to mash both a and b when chewing, since wario gets the input to bite faster/more often.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure the # of bites you can get it depends on how well your opponent is mashing. Most good players can get out after 3 chomps but some stay in it for all of them. Also, I've found that it helps to mash both a and b when chewing, since wario gets the input to bite faster/more often.
Yeah... I just figured that out.

Top Bottom