• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Raptor Boost + Hang cancel = AT "New or not discussed?"

Lionman

Smash Champion
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QZYT8JY9

this is a bin replay vs cpu kirby, the AT is used at the 3rd stock.

How to perform:

Use the raptor boost to hang from the ledge and hold the stick down, extend the frames of the raptor boost as your wish, if you hold it too long you'll die.

If an oponent is near the edge Falcon hits him with raptor boost and will hang from the ledge instantly after the hit the hit "Aerial Raptor Boost Cancel"

Youtube vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyVZfLZ1u7k

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
Dude you need to put up an actual video.
BTW what hacks (if any) did you have enabled? If a viewer does not have all the hacks enabled that you did, then the characters are going to desynch, and it will be hysterical.

Hiza

Smash Apprentice
very nice, I say we should confirm this as Falcons newest AT.

Lion cancel ftw

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I've just finished recording it. I'll put it online soon.

Oh hey Falcon users.

Lionman

Smash Champion
Rebaz - The feeling she will never get dice:
**** is old
lawl
i already use this in my playstyle

Rebaz words

Edit: Check the vid

VietGeek

Smash Hero
lol.

I honestly thought "Why didn't anyone think of this yet? It's just manipulating ledge mechanics. Oh well, I recorded it, let's put it on Youtube ololol."

Well w/e. Seems like you guys search for quirky stuff all the time according to a glance at the front board page.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
The basics is what matters the most, especially in this game where most of the cast has nothing but the basics to use.

I hope all you Falcon users continue the endeavor to progress your character in vanilla Brawl.

*Use Wind Waker for "Gale of Winds" and flies off toward the sun*

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
the way I did this was just run off the ledge and do it instantly so that it doesn't sweet spot I think it works the same way im on my phone so ill have to check the vid when im at a computer

edit: ok got on so its like sweetspotting but delaying it at the same time pretty nice.

Mit

Smash Ace
Neat, I didn't know you could hold down to cancel the autosnap. I always just did it by distance vertically from the ledge. If you do it a bit higher up on the ledge, you don't autosnap at all. If you do it right in the middle, it autosnaps.

I personally hate using raptor boost unless I am above an opponent while I'm trying to recover (and they don't see it coming.) In that video? All the Kirby needed to do was fsmash you while you were raptor boosting in the ledge. It has zero priority and I always feel vulnerable when using it. I would definitely never use this on an opponent who is up on the level, although I may use it on a recovering opponent who is below me (who has a bad recovery...).

Panix

Smash Ace
Eh, Fowards B's seemed to get canceled by everything. id rather another approach. nice discovery though.

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
... uhm. i wouldn't use this to plank, but i would try it on someone's recovery. my brother just ultimately punished me with DK when using this. lulz.

eRonin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
eRonin
3DS FC
3969-5180-1975
Miao.
From the video, it looks like something I've been doing for months...but is there something else to it? So by pressing down, you extend the duration of the raptor boost's hitbox?

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Miao.
From the video, it looks like something I've been doing for months...but is there something else to it? So by pressing down, you extend the duration of the raptor boost's hitbox?
No, what holding down does is prevent you from grabbing the ledge when in the area in which you would normally grab it right away (you have to stop holding down before you fall out of that region or else you'll suicide). It may be useful against certain recoveries if they're expecting you to grab the ledge right away, but it's also possible for you to get edgehogged right away so I don't think it'll ever be worth the risk.

Squirrely

Smash Journeyman
Anyone with a spike is going to be all over your A$$ if you do that. Looks fun to tempt fate repeatedly though.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
Neat, I didn't know you could hold down to cancel the autosnap. I always just did it by distance vertically from the ledge. If you do it a bit higher up on the ledge, you don't autosnap at all. If you do it right in the middle, it autosnaps.

I personally hate using raptor boost unless I am above an opponent while I'm trying to recover (and they don't see it coming.) In that video? All the Kirby needed to do was fsmash you while you were raptor boosting in the ledge. It has zero priority and I always feel vulnerable when using it. I would definitely never use this on an opponent who is up on the level, although I may use it on a recovering opponent who is below me (who has a bad recovery...).
Autosnap? Is that what the leapfrogging effect of RB is called?

Mit

Smash Ace
Autosnap? Is that what the leapfrogging effect of RB is called?
No. We're talking about when you raptor boost at a ledge, and grab it as soon as you reach the ledge. "Autosnap" seems like a suitable name. If you hold down though, you can cancel the effect, and go through the entire raptor boost duration before grabbing the ledge.

Player-3

Smash Hero
I saw a video about this dating all the way back to March 2008.

I can't find it though, seemingly been removed by the user.
Yo dawg i saw that too

then i forgot about it dawg, it made me sad when i saw this thread because i slapped myself dawg

i coulda saved myself from being ****ed so many times by lucario (one of my best friends main him, and is quite good)....
dawg

Lionman

Smash Champion
After talking about this with many Falcon mainers we can say this is New, extend the raptor boost time was know but hitting the oponent and hanging instant is new.

-If the oponent is in shield Falcon will hang instant too
-This can be useful in Team battle
-After testing vs human oponents i can say this is really hard to punish

Skip2MaLoo

Smash Lord
It's not hard to punish..and I rather help my partner in teams and stay in the fray than plank like..METAKNIGHT.

Player-3

Smash Hero
Fixed that for you.^
no it was actually effective...

of course it was falcon falcon v falcon falcon

but still

and i ended up paunching my teammate more than my enemies
and he kneed me more than my enemies

but we still won... me and F3nix best team ever

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
no it was actually effective...

of course it was falcon falcon v falcon falcon

but still

and i ended up paunching my teammate more than my enemies
and he kneed me more than my enemies

but we still won... me and F3nix best team ever
the bolded explains how it may have worked out for you.
Still, a simple spike/Bair stagespike wouldve finished your 'planking'. (Timing for that to work on a planking falcon isnt hard).
falcon cant plank.

Player-3

Smash Hero
the bolded explains how it may have worked out for you.
Still, a simple spike/Bair stagespike wouldve finished your 'planking'. (Timing for that to work on a planking falcon isnt hard).
falcon cant plank.
CAN TOO BRAH

ledge drop uair to regrab, and if you think theyre gonna jump out at you, you hop off and go for the lulzy YESZ spike

'sall about reading...

of course this only works on falcons.. <_<

Top Bottom