• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Matchup

gallax

Smash Hero
Kirby

General Discussion

Soon to Come

Pika's Advantages

??????????????????????????????????????????????????

Pika's Disadvantages

Strategy for Winning

Helpful Video's

Overall Matchup

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
Okay, this matchup is about 50-50, but it turns drastically to our advantage if we get your power. Game will be something like this:

Pika: Thunder bolt camp! Thunder bolt camp!
Kirby: Bair! Bair!
Kirby: I eat you!
Pika: Oh no you didn't!
Kirby: EXTREME thunder bolt camp!
Pika: *knocks out power from kirby*
*cycle begins again*

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Wow A1...

Anyway, for the actual discussion:

To my knowledge, our aerials tend to overpower yours (with the exception of our Nair and possibly Dair) and are more disjoincted, though yours seem to combo much better. However, we can WoP with ours.

Thundershock camping can be a ***** to get around, though our Bair gets through it, as does simple shielding. Most of the time, we shall approach with Bair to get through the spam however. I'm guessing by utilizing QAC you could probably take advantage of the slight ending lag on the move though.

On the ground, I'd say it's somewhat even, though to be honest, most of this matchup is spent in the air and on projectiles. Your Dsmash is a pain in the ***, despite being DI-able, and if we mess up our DIing, can set up for a thunder kill. Our grab game is good though, and you can expect low % grab combos and at higher percents Dthrow, sometimes followed up by aerials (I can't remember if your Dair beats our Uair, which would be the main factor in determining whether or not to follow up Dthrow.).

In general though, I think we tend to kill Pikachu earlier than he kills us, though it does depend on the situations. If thunder catches us in the air we are likely to die, especially since Kirby dies easier off the top, and of course, all your other KO options are good too.

Gimping Pika is very difficult (though it can be done). Outright killing him is usually easier. The problem is that while we have many killing options, most of them have to be mindgamed to work.

Thunder edgeguarding against Kirby can be effective, though I usually have enough jumps to get around it and occasionally punish.

Overall, this matchup seems pretty much even... until we get your power, at which point I'd put it slightly in Kirby's favor. With your power we can spam jolts a little more than 2x faster than you, and since we stay airborn during our spam, we effectively avoid your jolts, forcing you to approach. The problem is, this sort of 'super spam' also shuts down most of your approach methods, like QAC. Also, your ground options get severely limited, more or less forcing you to approach from the air, which is Kirby's domain.

TLDR version: Even matchup, but don't let Kirby get your power, as he will make your life hell with it.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I guess no one likes Kirby..
I guess no one likes YOU.

I'd say even, both have neat things going for them. Nevar evar let us get your special unless you want to have a super awesome slow match. I think Bair beats most of Pika's moveset in terms of priority, it seems to work for me lol.

It's better to force approaches of pika in my opinion, because it seems like once it comes down to a spacing war vs our bair Kirby wins.

I'mmah calling 50/50, although admittedly my experience/knowledge vs pika is almost non existent.

platiepoos

Smash Apprentice
Kirby's typically go for the same things in a match. Grab combos and fsmashes. If you can tell when we're going to use our fsmash and avoid, it takes away many of our killing options. In this way fighting Kirby is somewhat like fighting Falco, avoid the fsmash and it will be much harder to kill you.

Grab combos can also lead into inhale, which as stated before, is a bad thing for Pika. By eliminating fsmash and grab/inhale options for kirby, you force him to use bair more, which quickly diminishes eliminating yet another of his viable kill moves.

Overall, fromundaman's post summarized this matchup very well. Don't get inhale'd.

EDIT: This post is more of a universal way to deal with Kirby, other than character specific.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
fromundaman pretty much said it.

The only really good Pikachu I've played is Anther, and I haven't played him in a while. I'm not afraid of his Pikachu like I used to be before I knew the matchup. I'd say it's 50-50.

Both characters can combo, camp, and KO pretty effectively. Thunder edgeguard doesn't work as well against Kirby since he can just use his jumps to wait it out. He can also use Stone if he predicts you're going to use Thunder. Stone will only finish in time if he uses it right before you start the Thunder.

The Truth!

Smash Ace
you know there was a kirby matchup thread before too. I thought you were redoing it for some reason >_>

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Warning: Thunder edgeguard isn't very good against Kirby.

We actually have much better options than waiting it out.
During a match vs a Pikachu yeserday I made an interesting discovery: Inhale outranges the hitbox when Pika hits himself with his thunder. So basically, Thunder edgeguard is akin to begging for a Kirbycide, or at the very least, giving us your power (supposing there are other Kirby's out there who use Inhale enough to know how to properly space it).

If we do have your power, we can simply send a few jolts down.

I love this matchup.

Top Bottom