• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Baiting with Wolf

SelfPossessed

Smash Apprentice
A mind game, is simply the use of observation to detect a pattern in an opponents strategy and baiting them, as a feint, to punish their pattern.
Baiting is a universal concept in the fighting game genre. Despite the broad spectrum that it encompasses, the actual implementation of baiting can vary greatly. Specific conditions such as the game environment, the character matchups, and even the players can lead to a large variety of possible bait setups.

This thread is meant to discuss baiting as Wolf by listing the various methods of baiting that people have successfully used already. It is up to the individual player to decide what works for them; not all of these setups are meant to work all the time. Not only is baiting matchup dependent, different players also react in different ways to the same situation.

It is also worth mentioning that I am a newbie. As my legitimacy as a gamer does detract from the validity of my statements, the contents of this post must be read with a grain a salt. Hardcore gamers may even dispute the way I am using the word bait. Nonetheless, it is my hope that this topic as a DISCUSSION will invite more accomplished players to provide valuable insight for those less experienced to absorb and improve with. In other words, don't just read, please contribute your setups and the reasoning behind them.

Table of Contents

• I. The Wolf Wall (FH)

• II. The Wolf Wall (SH)

• III. Juggling

• VI. Walk Jab

• V. Whiffing an Attack

• VI. One Trick Ponies (Blaster)

I. The Wolf Wall (FH version)

The Wolf Wall is a "wall" of well spaced bairs. In particular, I am referring to the FH version, or FH Bair FF Bair. Properly spaced, this is extremely safe and pressures the opponent. It sets up another wall attempt and encourages them to act out. Against the taller portion of the roster, you can aim the Bair at their head or feet to shield poke. As a prerequisite, the opponent must sufficiently fear the wall such that they react to it rather than ignore it (IE walling MK with his lightsaber).

Despite repeating what seems to be a predictable and mindless string of moves, I am actually using it to bait a response from my opponent by limiting when and how they will react. I will then attempt to predict their reactions based on their past actions and punish them accordingly.

1. Combating the Player Reacting to the FIRST Bair of FH Bair FF Bair

The opponent attacks immediately before or after the FIRST Bair, typically with an aerial, dash attack, or a hypen up-smash. They are trying to interrupt you.

1. FH Bair away (FF) Bair

Avoid their attack by DIing away, then punishing with the second Bair, better versus aerials, may not FF depending on enemy position.

[*] FH away (FF) Bair towards

Same as above except you trade the pressure of the first Bair for a smaller hurtbox.

[*] FH Shine FF Bair

Interrupt the attack with invincibility frames and try for a combo, riskier.

[*] SH away FF Bair towards

Avoid the attack by DIing away, then punishing with a FF Bair to a potential combo, better versus grounded attacks.

[*] Dash away SH towards FF Bair

Same as above except you trade speed for less vulnerability and more range.

[*] SH away Blaster

Similar to the SH Bair. Greater range, less damage and knockback.

[*] Shield/Spotdodge/Roll behind

Punish an enemy overextending themselves expecting a rising FH Bair. For shielding, you may opt to dash shield, which ruins their spacing for an easier shieldgrab.

[*] Jab/Ftilt/SH Fair

Interrupt an enemy overextending themselves expecting a rising FH Bair. All three moves have varying range, speed, and disjointedness.

[*] Walk away Fsmash

Avoid attacks by walking away, then punish with the Fsmash. Doesn't avoid as much as a jump, but there is less commitment (can do anything out of walk) and it's better at punishing moves that end early due to Fsmash's speed.

[*] Pivot Grab

Avoid the attack with the dash away, then interrupt/punish with the grab. The range of Pivot grab's is superior to a standing grab.

[*] Combating the Player Reacting to the SECOND Bair FH Bair FF Bair

The opponent is shielding/spotdodging/shield dashing/hyphen up-smashing in response to the SECOND Bair of your wall. You react with FH Bair FF AD into an advantageous position and follow up with one of several attacks.

* These options are highly dependent on WHERE you land

* Note that landing behind them is usually better than landing in front of them; if you land in front you will have to do a turnaround before attacking

* Also note that you can alter where you land if you predict a shield dash or hyphen-upsmash, hopefully ending up behind them

* In the case of hyphen-upsmash, you are timing the AD invincibility to avoid their attack

1. FH Bair FF Bair

The non AD option. Predict their attack and space another Bair to pressure their shield or hit them out of an attack. If their shield is sufficiently pressured, expect a spotdodge or roll and punish immediately.

[*] FH Bair FF AD Jab

Stops spotdodge, interrupts attacks if they chase your landing frames, safe on shield, fastest option

[*] FH Bair FF AD Grab

Obliterates shield.

[*] FH Bair FF AD Dsmash

Going for the kill, may also shield poke if they held shield long enough.

[*] FH Bair FF AD Blaster

If they're too far for any other option (you landed in a bad spot).

II. The Wolf Wall (SH version)

This is a variation of the Wolf Wall based on the SH approach. The idea is to condition opponents to expect a tipped FF Bair out of a SH, then do something else out of the SH. You can, of course, combine this with the FH approach for a more versatile Wolf Wall.

So, you're doing a SH towards the opponent. Your options are...

1. SH FF Bair tipped

The basic conditioner. Pretty safe if done right, great range, combo potential. If it's shielded (not PS) and you're perfectly spaced, you can punish whiffed shield grabs/other OoS attempts.

[*] SH towards FF away (option of whiffing AC Bair)

Space it so it looks like you're going to just hit with Bair but whiff or do nothing instead.

Some will try to interrupt the anticipated Bair before you hit the ground. Since you're further back, their interrupt attempt will miss and you can punish with Fsmash.

Some will try to punish the landing lag even if they're out of range to do so. Follow up with:

1. Turnaround Jab (speed and disjointed)

2. Shine (invinc)

3. Retreating SH Bair (spacing)

4. Fsmash (damage and range)

5. Spotdodge/Shield (defense)

6. Grab or Dsmash (if they hold shield)

This also helps if they like to Dash shield a lot. By preparing to land further back beforehand, you'll actually end up spacing yourself correctly.

[*]SH towards wavebounce Blaster

Safely covers nearly every option an opponent has to stopping approaching SH FF Bair. Timed right, the wavebounce will avoid attacks meant to interrupt the Bair. Forces a reaction out of shielders. Timed right, the Blaster can also punish the spotdodge vulnerability frames.

[*] SH towards, DJ away

Also known as air camping, which is more of Wario's territory. Although Wolf isn't nearly as good at it due to slower aerial acceleration, he's still more than capable compared to the rest of the cast.

Note that air camping is inherently risky as if you guess wrong and get hit off stage without a DJ, you may not make it back. Air camping is then doable only at certain percents and/or if the enemy's back is to the ledge. The latter positioning is usually preferable, with maybe the exception of DDD on Final Destination.

How early you DJ away completely depends on what the opponent is doing.

• Against aggressive opponents, DJ away EARLIER to avoid the attack. If they don't do an aerial, you probably won't be able to punish it; don't overextend yourself trying. Note that the earlier two options out of SH cover aggressive opponents, so this might be less likely.

[*] Against defensive opponents, you'll want to DJ away LATER to get them to hold shield longer. Note that spotdodge spamming opponents are prone to option 2. Most defensive opponents will therefore shield, maybe dash shield. This also avoids PS.

Although you aren't hitting them when air camping, you're actually shield pressuring them. Space a FF Bair out of the DJ. It'll either shield poke them due to smaller shield, and if not, try for a Fsmash shield break or Dsmash/Dtilt shield poke.

III. Juggling

The opponent is above you and hopefully not DIing too far away for you to juggle. They will most likely AD or Dair. Your goal is to bait their preferred moves, then punish the vulnerability frames. Of special note is that successfully baiting and punishing a juggle sets up another juggle opportunity.

1. FH/SH/FHDJ rising Uair/Bair. Then DJ or FF a Uair/Bair/Fair

Use a whiffed aerial to bait the AD. Spaced correctly (Uair or Bair such that if they did not AD, Uair/Bair would whiff), you can DJ or FF an aerial to punish the AD. Uair can also interrupt slower or low priority aerials.

[*] SH wait DJ/FF Uair/Fair/Bair

Use the motion of the first SH to bait the AD or aerial, then punish with a DJ (if they are higher up) or FF (if they are closer) to whatever move will reach them.

[*] FH Shine

Interrupt the aerial.

[*] Utilt/Usmash

Wait for the opponent to AD/aerial prematurely when expecting Uairs, then hit them with a grounded attack instead.

[*] Shield/Spotdodge

Position yourself close enough to easily punish an aerial attack. Shield to grab or OoS Fair/Bair/Uair. Consider spotdodge instead of shield against multihit aerials that poke well.

[*] Punish the landing lag

Position yourself to punish them the moment they touch the ground. There will be 2+ frames of vulnerability. Punish with a pivot grab, Fsmash, dash grab, etc.

IV. Walk Jab

Wolf's aerial game is vastly superior to his ground. Nonetheless, as far as ground moves go, Jab is extremely versatile and safe. It acts like a slightly weaker version of Marth's DB (side B) in that it's disjointed, stops spot dodge, refreshes attacks on hit, and is safe on shield if stopped early.

I'd like to note that walking forwards and jabbing works extremely well for me, primarily because I'm oftentimes retreating in the air. The sudden change in pace can catch opponents off guard. I also like to use Jab by holding A and immediately holding shield afterwards. Holding A stops spotdodges better than tapping it repeatedly and holding shield allows me to defend if the Jab clashes with another move.

So, you walk forward and Jab. If it interrupts or just plain hits, it hits. If the opponent spotdodges, it hits. The situation where baiting comes into play is when Jab is shielded (not PS). So long as you stop jabbing before the third hit, you are safe on shield. Now what? The opponent is at a frame advantage. Chances are extremely high that you will see immediate retaliation. So, what do you do?

Though the options are similar, due to being closer up, you have fewer options than in the Wolf Wall.

1. Spotdodge to attack

Avoids moves, the important one in particular being the typical SHIELD GRAB NAOW reaction most players have.

[*] Shield to OoS options

When they catch on to your spotdodging their grab.

[*] Roll behind them

Avoid their attack and punish.

[*] Pivot Grab

Avoid the attack with the dash, interrupt/punish it with the grab.

[*] SH away FF Bair towards

Avoid attacks and punish with a FF Bair combo.

[*] Dash away to SH towards FF Bair

Same as above except you trade speed for less vulnerability.

[*] FH FF Bair/Uair

Avoid the attack by creating vertical distance, can crossover if preferred.

[*] SH FF Bair crossover

Avoid the low attack by going behind them.

[*] Retreat with Roll, FH Shine, etc.

If you feel unsure (IE against D3), then a safe retreat may be preferable.

If they try for crossover pivot grabs, the aerial options do well against it.

I understand that many do not consider this situation a bait setup. I would argue that in the context of Brawl and its game mechanics, this is baiting. Due to shield deterioration, you cannot sit and hold shield in Brawl the way you can hold guard in other fighting games. Even spotdodging mindlessly can get you punished (2 frame startup vulnerability, 5 frame ending vulnerability). As such, setting up a situation whereby you know WHEN the opponent attacks and WHAT they will probably attack with should be considered baiting.

Just in case, I also do understand that Brawl is extremely defensive as far as fighters are concerned.

V. Whiff an Attack

Try missing an attack on purpose, then observe what your opponent does. If you see a reactionary pattern to certain moves, you can capitalize on it by purposely whiffing the attack and punishing them.

• Throw out an attack (Ftilt is recommended for this, though Usmash/Dsmash/general ground moves works as well) when the opponent isn't that close. Depending on the distance and character specifics (movement, moveset), you can interrupt their punish attempt with a Jab.

• Some players like to roll when you start jabbing as jab lasts a while and moves you forward. Whiff a SINGLE jab to bait the roll. Punish it (pivot grab, Fsmash, turnaround Dsmash, whatever you like). This can also apply to other moves as well.

• When players are at high percents and close to the ledge (but not planking), they begin to fear the Dsmash and try to find a way to move towards the middle of the stage. Figure out how they will move (roll? SHAD? empty jump? etc.) and what causes that move. Chances are, they'll be nervous and will jump at any opening towards the middle that they perceive.

1. Jab whiff -> punish

2. Retreating empty jump (FF AD) -> punish

3. Walk away -> punish

4. Stand still -> punish (this works surprisingly)

• If the enemy is at high enough a percentage that a non-DIed Fair can kill them, you can also whiff several Dsmashes in a row to get them to expect it. Then hit them with the Fair. Chances are, they'll be DIing up in anticipation of that Dsmash.

• Some players can also be baited with whiffed ACed aerials. FF Bair, FF AD, FF Uair, and Fair can all be used. Punish with Fsmash, Dsmash, DACUS, dash grab, etc.

1. For example, some players rush in and attack after Wolf does a retreating Fair. Interrupt them with Fsmash, Jab, Ftilt, etc.

2. Other players try to shield grab or dash to punish a FF Bair even if it's properly spaced or just plain whiffs. Turnaround Jab, Shine, retreating SH Bair, Fsmash, etc. all work as punishers here.

VI. One Trick Ponies

For the sake of completion, here are two other bait setups that will work the first time. Good opponents catch on fairly quickly, so these are not reliable. They should therefore be used with extreme caution.

1. Blaster Blaster Blaster...

The typical reaction to this is walking PS. Some opponents will get used to the timing of the PS instead of reacting to the laser, whereby a delayed blaster, dash grab, etc. will land a free hit.

Conclusion

Again, none of what I have posted should be taken as the be all end all. I know that many will disagree with how I have interpreted the word baiting. Others will disagree on my entire approach of CONDITIONING the opponent and punishing accordingly. Even so, I do hope that this post will promote discussion into HOW Wolf players can use their tools to mindgame their opponents rather than on the properties of specific moves themselves. Simply telling a newbie like me to mindgame my opponents or that spaced Bairs are super safe doesn't help me much after all. Specific setups as examples help much more.

Still, just in case, I'd like to apologize for any misconceptions, misinformation, and/or errors that the above may contain.

Finally, as stated previously, this is not an exhaustive list. Please do reply with your own setups for further discussion.

Further Reading

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
Bair itself is a good bait tool. Even just a SHFF Bair whiffed still baits people into doing something. Sometimes they're stupid enough to grab. People have habits as to how they punish crap as well.

And Usmash has less lag than you might think, it's really good for baiting (Until the opponent learns of course...)

castorpollux

Smash Champion
wow. This wolf wall stuff all looks really really really really familiar ;-)

Good **** dood. I've been doing this stuff in my videos, but never had the eloquence to put it all down in a thread. Keep up the good work.

Once I escape this terrible puerto rican internet, I'll input some more "baits" that i've been doing recently. They are more effective vs metaknights than the bair wall

SelfPossessed

Smash Apprentice
Updates:
- Added juggling
- Did some reformatting.

I'm contemplating Dthrow techchase...is it considered baiting?

@ ArcPoint

I added ACed aerials to the OP. My opponents don't react to ACed aerials though. :(

@ castorpollux

Most of the Wolf stuff I know comes from watching vids like yours. I learned a lot from them. Although I pretty much described your Wolf wall (I hope I did it accurately), there are two exceptions that I haven't seen you use before. I've seen kailo34ce use FH Bair FF AD turnaround Jab in front of the opponent as a bait. I've also seen Lucien FH away FF Bair towards before.

I look forward for any help dealing with *******, especially the flying one wielding the lightsaber.

SelfPossessed

Smash Apprentice
There's a reason why I stopped walling against ******* altogether. :p I start spamming walk jab and try to bait attacks so I can punish with a retreating Bair (it's hard to bait without walling though). If I shield something, I'm usually facing forwards, which is where my options are. It's not the best tactic so I am looking for new things to try.

Fighting ******* wouldn't be that bad if Fair had a larger hitbox below it, if Wolf had a super safe tilt on block (ftilt spacing is impossible), or if shine had better horizontal range (MK can outspace jump shines). Against *******, Fair has like...half the horizontal range if they stay grounded because they just barely duck under the thing.

Anywho, to get back on topic...any more thoughts on bait setups?

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Fighting ******* wouldn't be that bad if Fair had a larger hitbox below it, if Wolf had a super safe tilt on block (ftilt spacing is impossible), or if shine had better horizontal range (MK can outspace jump shines). Against *******, Fair has like...half the horizontal range if they stay grounded because they just barely duck under the thing.

Anywho, to get back on topic...any more thoughts on bait setups?
I agree with the fair stuff... it gets to be a real pain, real fast.

Mixing up bair walls with SH fairs works well for me, but idk if that's really baiting. Constantly running up and then doing a retreating fair usually baits a dash, which opens up nicely for an advancing fair behind them (in case they shield) or a dashgrab/fsmash if they're unprepared.

:059:

castorpollux

Smash Champion
AD in front of them while doing a turnaround jab is a really really bad idea. Ur just asking to get punished.

Anyways, fair baits are good too

fair -> buffered dtilt
fair -> f-smash (if they start running at you after ur fair)
fair -> grab (if they like to hold their shield thinking ur gonna dtilt/fsmash)

u get the picture =).

it soon becomes a guessing game and yeah, hopefully u can keep ur opponent guessing

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Bump.

I find the content of this thread valuable and full of good knowledge. Not only can it assist upcoming Wolf players with their game, but remind and perhaps introduce new styles of play into already established Wolf players. As a matter of fact, I think this should be stickied.

SelfPossessed

Smash Apprentice
Quick bump for changes. Feedback and other baiting setups welcome.

Changelog:
1) Added a Wolf Wall SH version, complete with air camping.
2) Added walk away Fsmash as an option to Wolf Wall FH version.
3) Added info (like punishing rolls and when enemies are at high %) to Whiffing an Attack and made it its own section.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Do you guys think we should put it in Solid's 'ultimate sticky'? Or maybe somehow integrate it into the WBR guide or something?

Nice to see you back, Kash. I'm with you in that it's really not this simple, but some things you just can't really put in a guide, I guess.

:059:

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Ha, thanks. I like to poke my head in now and then. Sometimes I fear I'm left behind in the community simply because I don't keep up to date with it.

Well, regardless of where it goes I think the information needs to be easily and readily available. The Ultimate Sticky would be a good place.

SelfPossessed

Smash Apprentice
Kashakunaki said:
Also, I don't think it can be so simply boiled down. Perhaps I'm wrong.
I agree completely. Like I stated early on, this is highly matchup and player dependent. It may not even work all the time. Still, it gives newer players a starting point to learn how to mindgame. It was my hope that more experienced players like yourself could contribute additional setups that have worked for them in the past. ;)

Anywho, quick bump for formatting changes. I also added some options here or there that I found to be useful when not abused, like FH OoS after a walk jab -> shield (Wolf's vertical acceleration is great enough to avoid most attacks).

ALSO, any recommendations on colors? SOLID wanted some, but I'm not sure which ones to use where. Some colors are just painful on the eyes...

EDIT: May 31st 2009. Made several additions to the options, but did not feel it warranted a bump.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
This might've been said, but throwing out a lag fair at a nice enough distance is hilarious when people fall into your trap.

I also like throwing out two dsmashes when the opponent is far from you, and then attack when they let their shield down. xD It's quite funny.

Top Bottom