• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi v. Marth

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: This is the thread for discussion on the Yoshi v. Marth matchup.

DarkLeviathan89

Smash Lord
Despite Marth's lack of projectiles, I find that eggs don't really help much here. At least, abusing eggs too much won't do much good in the matchup. I think the best thing to do here is too be familiar with how far Marth needs to be to get tippers. Also, don't get above him, as any of Marth's "up" moves (up smash, up air, up tilt) seem to beat out anything Yoshi has.

For this matchup, I like to use grabs and work with those. Vary it up by throwing eggs after throwing them, or get them above you and try to uair them for some damage. If I can get close enough, jabs and tilts work nicely too, and keeping close helps prevent the dreaded tippers. I think spacing is definitely a key point here.

Tidycats29

Smash Cadet
NNID
supadino007
Switch FC
4953-1106-1226
I play this match up like gaymenwatch

camp and grab

punish with up smash

Though i am a bit more agressive when im up close since jab works better against him than G&W
just cause marth doesnt have G&W D-tilt

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
Despite Marth's lack of projectiles, I find that eggs don't really help much here. At least, abusing eggs too much won't do much good in the matchup. I think the best thing to do here is too be familiar with how far Marth needs to be to get tippers. Also, don't get above him, as any of Marth's "up" moves (up smash, up air, up tilt) seem to beat out anything Yoshi has.

For this matchup, I like to use grabs and work with those. Vary it up by throwing eggs after throwing them, or get them above you and try to uair them for some damage. If I can get close enough, jabs and tilts work nicely too, and keeping close helps prevent the dreaded tippers. I think spacing is definitely a key point here.
Very good advice, you said exactly what I was thinking.

YoshiIslander77z

Smash Apprentice
lol ppl still dont understand that eggs arnt just to smack someone with they stop marth from runngin at u and ****** u at that mid range distance. if u throw an egg in a place they will be next it will make them approach differently which helps u controll the match.

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
What do you guys think about CPs? Would RC work well? You have a lot of space to try to camp him for much of the stage.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I don't think Rainbow Cruise is the best bet.

Sure you can camp him for a majority of the dynamic parts of the stage, but the more static parts are very much in his favor for his style of play and they present no opportunities to take advantage of his weaknesses.

Pokémon Stadium 1 can work, Lylat Cruise might work also. Pokémon Stadium 2 is a solid choice, but nobody allows that in tournaments very much. Jungle Japes with a very passive-aggressive platform strategy can work as can Brinstar.

Delfino Plaza is a 50/50 shot because while Marth (in my experience, at least) has trouble moving and KOing on most static parts of the stage, the dynamic parts are really there for him as clutch KO spots; it's almost not worth it to risk the ridiculously early deaths that you can incur on that stage against him.

Gindler

Smash Champion

camp and grab

punish with up smash

Though i am a bit more agressive when im up close since jab works better against him than G&W
I do the same, of course marth is alot faster so it doesn't work as well. Of course it's ALOT easier to keep him above you, marth's Dair is slow with massive ending lag so I treat him like rob and try my best to Uair juggle (and bait counters, they always throw those out when everything else fails)

my opinion on the matchup? counterpick a character this is one of those "you probly shouldnt go yoshi" matchups
Too bad I second ness, that's even worse :ohwell: working on fox and rob for matchups like this though but yoshi's so much funner to play as

I'm just lucky there's only one really good marth in florida. This is a D3 state sadly.

auroreon

Smash Ace
I don't find Marth as bad as most people are making out, eggs work really well in this matchup.
Marth is vunerable from underneath, try to get under him as much as possible (Uair and Usmash are ur best friends here), he'll ussually go for a counter in that position so be wary and punish the counter. Remember, Yoshis shield don't get poked so it it can take Marths sword dance, very handy. Marth can UpB out of combos though >.<
Try to keep him at length with eggs and throws, look for oppenings to grab. The range of that **** sword pisses me off most, that thing is made out of the same stretchy material as Yoshis tail.

Japes is a nice stage for this matchup if your smart with the platforms, and Rainbow cruise.

bigman40

Smash Master
If he chooses to Sword Dance on you, you can DJ out of it during the 4th hit (it's the multi-hitting one). I did it a few times in my video.

F-Tier Player

Smash Ace
Yoshi coming down from above...egg roll land...hit Marth upon landing, get away fast!!! We need to take advantage of that bounce invincibility...

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Actually, I think that Pirate Ship is a good counterpick, too (if it is a counterpick at your tournament). When I chose this against Chaz (probably the best Marth player in Florida), he switched characters. :laugh:

Gindler

Smash Champion
Actually, I think that Pirate Ship is a good counterpick, too (if it is a counterpick at your tournament). When I chose this against Chaz (probably the best Marth player in Florida), he switched characters. :laugh:
I'll be sure to keep this in mind :chuckle:. Chaz is the only real threat of a marth in florida that i've heard of

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I dunno about Jungle Japes. Doesn't Yoshi do badly there? :confused:

Anyways, there is ONE thing that we have over Marth: Yoshi Bomb. I'm surprised to see how vulnerable he is to it. If you can spot-dodge at the right time during his attacks, then this move can become invaluable. :)

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
I'm with Poltergust. Jungle Japes seems counter-intuitive to me, though I admit I'm not too familiar with the stage. With the high ceilings, though, it makes the kill tougher for Yoshi, while Marth has a much easier time killing off the sides.

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman

camp and grab

punish with up smash

this is really good advice. playing this style is great on short ceiling, small platform stages like green greens, rainbow cruise, and suprisingly norfair.

Top Bottom