• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi v. Luigi

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: This is the thread for discussion on the Yoshi v. Luigi matchup.

Metatitan

Smash Master
if they fireball spam u gotta bair spam to fan out the flames cuz their fireballs make your grabs worthless if they are spamming them in their approach

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
I want more input in this matchup please.Luigi gives me a lot of trouble. RC is a good CP?

JOE!

Smash Hero
Bair, Dair, Uair, Nair can screw around with Weegee from my experience

Dtilt and Ftilt outrange his tilts, and Utilt im not sure about...

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Since I've actually played this matchup a bit for fun...

Luigi has:

Better combos, defensive game, approach, and KO moves.

Luigi's U-tilt, N-air, and Jab combos have better setup value than most of Yoshi's stuff. N-air -> Up-smash is a pretty reasonable threat, along with Jab -> lots of nonsense.

Luigi slides away a lot when he shields, so good luck pressuring him easily. The usual shield pressure mindgames with Yoshi like his Jab don't bother Luigi that much since he can stay safe by shielding.

Yoshi can't easily punish Luigi for approaching since Luigi is in the air a lot when he approaches, and since you can't jump out of shield, and N-air punishes spotdodges a lot. If he does an approach on the ground, it is Tornado, and will probably be used to punish the lag of Egg Toss.

Yoshi has more range on most attacks, but doesn't have as good of a result with most of them. Luigi is much less laggy on most of his stuff, so he has more flexibility in terms of options.

As for KO moves...Yoshi can sometimes get a U-air or Up-smash on a Luigi that gets too reliant on N-air for dropping down. Luigi however can also get a KO through his combos into random nonsense or because his F-smash and U-smash are good anti-air KO moves.

Basically, Yoshi wants to keep Luigi out, but can't do this consistently, and when Luigi gets in, he has a significantly higher advantage.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I mostly agree.

The one thing making this matchup playable is the fact that Luigi has low traction and low air speed, which allows Yoshi's keepaway game to work somewhat well, even though you can't constantly push and run as Luigi will eventually poke for good damage.

This matchup has a lot of mixup for Yoshi, making him switch between offense and defense quite regularly. It's a good matchup to learn how to bait punishers and punish back or how to deal with extremely high priority and good range.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
What you DON'T want to do in this particular match-up is leave yourself open to any attack by Luigi. His f-smash and up-B are dangerous, even if they have short range. Only use your f-smash if you are 100% positive that it would hit him. Yoshi Bomb is a bad idea if he can shield it correctly. Also, d-smash could be dangerous to use if he powershields. N-air is also dangerous if you don't sweet-spot his shield or if he spot-dodges.

So, the moves that will kill Luigi in this match-up are:

U-air: Always safe to use if you position yourself correctly. Also, none of his air moves out-prioritize this move, so don't be afraid of a counter-attack.

Up-smash: Works extremely well if you are on the ground and he is in the air. No move of Luigi can out-prioritize this move, so use it to punish any aerial he may throw at you. It is safe on block, so use this freely on the ground, too. Just make sure he doesn't powershield it.

D-air: More like a gimp move, but it can be used to counter Luigi's good, if predictable, recovery. Beats his Cyclone, too. :)

.Marik

is a social misfit
50:50.

I've played weak Luigi's, and I've played strong Luigi's.

Don't leave yourself open. Especially in the air where Luigi can have his way with you by performing nasty aerial combos.

We can gimp Luigi's if they are predictable. Both players should jab a lot.

UpSmash *****. It completely beats out Luigi in the air, and on the ground. They can Shield-Grab, but quick, gliding UpSmashes are too ****.

Dair works well. Especially against Luigi's that are recovering.

Yeah. Basic stuff, really.

.Marik

is a social misfit
^ Basically.

Not saying you can't be fancy, just be efficient.

JOE!

Smash Hero
^ oddly enough, last time i Fought a good weegee i killed him with eggroll, the bounce went thru fsmash :o

.Marik

is a social misfit
I have new conclusions about the Yoshi vs. Luigi matchup.

It's definetly their favour. Maybe 6:4? Anyways, we are pretty evenly matched.

However, our disadvantages slowly destroy Yoshi, and Luigi's slowly creep up and finish us off. We have a weak shield game, and virtually no reliable KO moves. Luigi has tons of quick aerial attacks than can combo, and a good shield game.

So, I was playing pretty good. There were no apparent flaws during my gameplay, and I was ****** PoisonMist's Luigi.

But then... I lost. All of the matches. Even though the match was in my favour. Even though all of the matches were extremely close.

Luigi's tend to come back and pressure us... and trust me, almost everybody in the game can pressure Yoshi.

So, aerial after aerial after shield grab, he won. Also the fact that I continuously ****ed up my recovery and self-destructed. :\

Of course, he sometimes won because of luck, and my Yoshi self-destructing. But, even when I didn't self-destruct to the point where it put the match in Luigi's favour... they have their pressuring tactics which I found very difficult to deal with.

Of course, PoisonMist has a **** Luigi. I've beaten him plenty of times, but how can I learn to cope with pressure? It seems to wear off on me during all of the difficult matches I play...

So, any suggestions?

Delvro

Smash Ace
I've only fought a couple of Yoshi's, but I can say that Yoshi's bair is key to stopping Luigi's air approaches and fireball approaches.

Also, be extra careful of doing grounded egg toss. Do it too close and Luigi will zip right in with the cyclone and put you in the air above Luigi, a very bad place to be.

Yoshi's jab and dtilts are super useful. You do NOT want Luigi in Jab range... so they're good GTFO moves. Yoshi's smashes are a bit laggy and if Luigi spotdodges one, you may eat an up-tilted Fsmash and die at 85%.

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
cyclone can be annoying when you are throwing eggs, it can also be used to edgeguard yoshi. 1 hit from that steals your 2nd jump..

hadesblade

Smash Lord
Soooo I'm going to necro this, because after seeing marik's list, I'm the only yoshi who thinks this isn't a disadvantage.I find this matchup very easy, as long as you don't do something stupid like go offstage during his recovery (cyclone>your double jump), or get jab -> up b'd. (which I've done, both happened to me in my first game of pools at AG lol... nerve johns :p that's why I didn't go 2-0 with everyone except dojo ><)

But anyway, eggs beat fireballs and cyclone, pivot grab beats everything luigi does (except fireballs, but luigi's fireballs don't do much in this matchup when you can just egg them) , hes in the air trying to wall bairs? pivot grab. He's coming in with a cyclone? pivot grab.

Uair beats or trades hits with his dair, bair beats or trades hits with his bair, our nair is similar, but has a bigger hitbox, we can usmash through every airial except dair (which is easy to pivot grab, they are falling on top of you... what do you expect them to do? Usmash beats cyclone too.

Luigi isn't heavy, he will be dieing earlier then us (unless we get fsmashed/up b'd, but up b only works from 2 inches away and fsmash doesn't have much more range...). Don't go after his side b, misfire happens more than you'd expect, uair and usmash will be stale, but luigi likes to get inside of you... just land a yoshi bomb when he rolls or something.

The only reason this matchup might not be in our advantage, is that one small mistake offstage will get you cycloned and take away your second jump costing you a stock. Offstage, just think of cyclone as mk's nado except it will gimp you instead of hitting you up. Stay away from it, DJAD through it, what ever. Just don't get hit by it.

And inb4someoneasksmewhatgoodweegee'si'veplayedoffline.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I can see where you're coming from; I've just never liked playing against Luigi for some reason.

I enjoy eating forward smashes, so that might be part of the reason. :D

hadesblade

Smash Lord
:yoshi: I can see where you're coming from; I've just never liked playing against Luigi for some reason.

I enjoy eating forward smashes, so that might be part of the reason. :D
fsmash is soo strong... but it is slow and it's range is horrible. It's like a shorter ranged G&W fsmash... you shouldn't be getting hit by it.

.Marik

is a social misfit
^ I'd worry more about his Grabs and aerials.

FSmash is a pretty decent move, though.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Forward smash is really good; I don't see why people downplay it at all.

It's certainly no metagame killer, but I mean check out some Luigi players and peep the smash placement. Good move.

I worry more about his forward smash than any grab because you can just jump out of his down throw.

Depster

Smash Champion
Dair beats all his recoveries except maybe side b, I don't see that mentioned on this page at least. I still don't like the MU though...

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: There's just something about this matchup, right? It could be the easiest one, but it just feels weird. D:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Luigi's Fsmash is just so gay. WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH.

But yeah, I think it's just a weird MU to understand without practice. I know I got semi-***** first time I played a Weegee. Looking at what Hades has mentioned, it certainly seems we have the tools to deal with whatever. I think we just need to play reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal patiently, kinda like the Ike MU, to avoid early/stupid deaths.

MX778

Smash Journeyman
Too bad Samboner quit Brawl.
His Luigi was very hard to deal with.

That U-tilt combo is just too good. I can't seem to DI out of it at low percents. x)

hadesblade

Smash Lord
Too bad Samboner quit Brawl.
His Luigi was very hard to deal with.

That U-tilt combo is just too good. I can't seem to DI out of it at low percents. x)
I 2 stocked samboners weegee on wifi, and took a set off him in the ladder. Then about a week later he went fox and ***** me, but thats not the point :p. I also beat atomsk's weegee on wifi, and it would of been a two stock if I wasn't stupid and let him cyclone me out of my dj at 30%.
Wifi doesn't matter :p

and just DJ out of his utilts.... just because super armor is near useless recovering, doesn't mean it doesn't have any uses.

EDIT: Atomsk is coming to arizona some time for saffy. I'll see if I can talk him into recording some weegee vs yoshi, that's assuming he plays any brawl at all while he's here...

Top Bottom