• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UPDATED:Edmonton Brawlers (Tourney Info Within)

Grand Lethal

Smash Cadet
Are there any Tournaments going on soon?

I could get one planned soon if there is enough interest.

Also,
I going to be looking into getting a building for anyone who wants to get together to play Brawl/Melee once a week (or every two weeks).
Just for fun and for those that want to get practice and be elite.

Lets hear your input and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers

Super Smash Brawl/Melee Tournament hosted by YOU.Three

Brawl/Melee Tournament

Address: 10005 80 Avenue
^- Near Whyte Ave and 99 street
^- Click this link for details: http://www.youthree.net/smash/venue.htm
Date: Friday, May 8, 2009
Time: The start time for Singles and Doubles are still to be announced but we will start friendlies at around 5pm and probably end at around 12am.

Cost:
It will be $10 for building entry and you will receive a coupon for food(There will be hot dogs, hamburgers, chips, cookies, drinks, etc to choose from)
Singles Entry: $10
Doubles Entry (2 Players): $10

Prizes:
First: 60% of pot
Second: 30% of pot
Third: 10% of pot
The more entrants, the bigger the pot, the more to win!! So tell your friends to come play.

Rules
:
For Melee the rules can be found here: http://www.youthree.net/smash/rules.htm
For Brawl: TBA

Additional Notes:
-Bring your own controllers and batteries if needed
-I will also post a link where you can register for singles or doubles. This way we can keep a count of who will be coming.
-If anyone has questions, feel free to ask

-Please be check back frequently to see if I have posted the Registration Link. Be patient, I still have exams and have not had a chance to update the site for Brawl or make a definite Ruleset

HERE IT IS!
Registration Link : http://www.youthree.net/smash/

Also check out our facebook event link: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=77846071779

-If anyone is able to bring tube tvs, wiis, gamecubes, or controllers for tournament use, please PM me !!

Thanks,
GL

~Thanks and Enjoy

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Hi! Unfortunately, there hasn't been a lot of Brawl tournaments in Alberta. I think there's been around 2 since the release. =( We're mainly a melee community. Although, there are a lot of brawl players here still. They're just too lazy to host. xD I'm glad you're willing to host some tourneys though! You sound a lot like me when I first stared back in '06. =P

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=92006
That's the main thread you want to check out. Its the social thread for Alberta where we just talk about tourneys and pretty much just everything. We're all pretty good friends with everyone, and we're very open to new guys! Come say hi! I apologize for the first post. It kinda... scares people away.

ColinJF

Smash Ace
You planning a tournament sounds great, and I'm interested in your second idea as well.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
Weeklies (or even biweeklies to give some breaks for people / let people host smashfests at their houses) would be awesome. Day really doesn't matter for me, but Fridays or even Saturdays would be awesome.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
If this is bi-weekly, host it on the open weekends. Like, Red Deer might be hosting bi-weeklies, so if you host it on the following open weeks, we could finally have an active tournament scene!

FastFox

Faster than most vehicles
BRoomer
Brawl isn't big enough in Edmonton to have tournaments, not to mention all the players that usually host all play Melee, so Brawl isn't really an option.

Carl hosted Brawl at CT4, and I'm pretty sure he'll never ever ever ever ever do it again.

Seriously, just ask him.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Says you. There's actually a lot of Brawl players, I just don't think you know about them. I think Luke listed them off before, but there literally is as many of them as there are melee players now. There mainly active in the OTL and the other brawl forums.

Not that I would attend any of the Brawl tournaments, but we shouldn't just dismiss their community like that. A lot of them are really nice guys (who are just misguided. =P)

Anywho, even if they did have a small community, hosting tournaments would really help their community grow even more. Kinda like with Randall's bi-weeklies shaping Calgary's smash scene, and the CAST series etc.

Grand Lethal

Smash Cadet
This would be hosted in a building that people use as a dance studio. Not someone's house.
I needed to see if there would be enough interest first before I take any actions.

I was thinking Friday(4pm-6pm) or Sunday afternoons (Probably around 2pm or 4pm) for 2 hours and holding tournaments at the end of each month.

Right now I need to check with the building schedule and see what time slots are open as well as check how many TV's are operational.

I was thinking of holding these mainly for Brawl events to get the Edmonton/Alberta Brawlers more active. I'm sure there are plenty of Brawl players, but just haven't had any real opportunities to shine. Not that I'm going to completely cut Melee off, but I just think that there are already plenty of players still hooked on it that can take care of themselves.

I'll update everyone as soon as I can.

Solaris1110

Smash Journeyman
Most people here have smashfests that are 4+ hours long, and some people have to travel from 1 side of the city to the other for smash. 2 hours isn't bad, but people are used to playing for longer periods.

Lib3r4t3

Smash Ace
Smashfests in the Okanagan in BC are about 6 hours long, and I always feel like it's never enough. Time FLIIIIES when you play smash. I want biiig days of smash when I play, since I have to commute at least an hour anyway. The more time you can book, the better in most cases. You can also have mini tournaments going on in smashfest, a small entry fee somewhere from 2$ to 5$ to get some bracket action in there.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
Yeah, time really does fly when you're playing videogames. I'd suggest at least 4-5 hours per smashfest. =/

Also, mini tournaments are a good idea. $2-5 seems reasonable.

P.S. Host Melee please. >_>

Grand Lethal

Smash Cadet
Hey Guys,

I'm going to have a meeting about the building tomorrow. From the looks of it, I think things will get started around mid-April once Finals are over.
I'll try to keep you guys updated as much as possible.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
Ok ok.
I thought 2 was reasonable but apparently not haha.
How many hours would be good then?
Carl (FalseFalco) hosts on Sundays and they usually go from 1 - 6pm.

Sid (LemonLau) hosts on Sundays usually from like 12 - 8pm.

I host on Saturdays usually from 12 pm till whenever. Last, last smashfest I held I think Superboom didn't leave till like 1 in the morning. It was good.

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
Oh awesome
I'd be interested in going to these once in a while

Thanks for pointing this out to me Luke =D

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
What? Brawl in Edmonton? Finally! ^_^ I've been sitting around here with barely anybody to play with for a while. I just hope this works out...

And for the record, I play Melee as well, but I suck. =[

Grand Lethal

Smash Cadet
Hey guys,

Been busy with school so heres what's going down:
We're planning the first event to be a tournament for Brawl. It will most likely be a Sunday in Early or Mid May so that it doesn't interfere with people studying for Post-Secondary Finals.

The building is near around 99st and Whyte Ave. The exact address is: 10005 80 Ave

Question: Are there people who are willing to bring TVs, Wiis, and brawl games for use at the tournament? PM me and tell me which you can bring.
I'll also check if we'll need help setting up, so if you'd like to help send me a PM.

I'll give you guys a definite date once I run it with the group/building owners
Have a good one.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
That's awesome man. Although I don't play Brawl, I'd love to come and support a new tournament host.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Hey guys,

Been busy with school so heres what's going down:
We're planning the first event to be a tournament for Brawl. It will most likely be a Sunday in Early or Mid May so that it doesn't interfere with people studying for Post-Secondary Finals.

The building is near around 99st and Whyte Ave. The exact address is: 10005 80 Ave

Question: Are there people who are willing to bring TVs, Wiis, and brawl games for use at the tournament? PM me and tell me which you can bring.
I'll also check if we'll need help setting up, so if you'd like to help send me a PM.

I'll give you guys a definite date once I run it with the group/building owners
Have a good one.
^_^

Sundays should be fine for me, as long as it's later in the day. I have training rides for a bike trip I'm taking with the school on Sundays, but those are fairly early, so if it's late afternoon/evening, it won't interfere.

I don't have my licence (laziness =/) but I have a friend who plays Brawl as well and can drive. If I can get him to go, I can get a ride with him, but if not, I may be screwed for transportation. V.V

For equipment, I can't bring my Wii, as it has a faulty power cord and craps out without warning after a while. >_> I could bring Brawl in the event that someone else brings a system without the game, but that doesn't seem all that likely. I may or may not be able to bring a TV though. Also, we could come early to set up, but that also depends on the time.

I know this is still in the early stages, so there's still a lot of time and preparation needed before this happens, but I'm already looking forward to it. Thanks in advance for the effort you're putting this, and I hope it all goes smoothly. ^_^

Grand Lethal

Smash Cadet
Hey Guys,
Super Smash Brawl Tournament Edmonton hosted by YOU.Three

Date:
We have set to have the tournament on Friday, May 8.

Time: The start time for Singles and Doubles are still to be announced but we will start friendlies at around 5pm and probably end at around 12am.

Cost:
It will be $10 for building entry and you will receive a coupon for food(There will be hot dogs, hamburgers, chips, cookies, drink, etc to choose from)
The cost for Singles: I still need to confirm with the leaders
The cost for Doubles: I still need to confirm with the leaders

Prizes:
First: xx% of the pot (TBA)
Second: yy% of pot (TBA)
Third: zz% (if any)

Additional Notes:
Bring your own controllers and batteries if needed

The more entrants, the bigger the pot, the more to win!! So tell your friends to come play.
Keep in mind that this event is still in planning stages. I should have all details confirmed by next week.
I will also post a link where you can register for singles or doubles. This way we can keep a count of who will be coming.

We had to change to Friday because someone booked Sundays till July. :(

If you guys have any questions PM or post it here.
WE`RE GONNA GET SMASHED..... err... nvm. lol

P.S.
If anyone wants to help setup or can bring a Wii or TV for use at the tournament please PM me.

I will make a new thread for this tourney later...

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I think that you.three tournament should be the week after due to the fact that there is another tournament going on that day. But truth be told, I'll go to that one before the other, but I'd rather go to both than just one. Know what I am saying? Just a suggestion, if it can't be done expect me there either way.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
I think that you.three tournament should be the week after due to the fact that there is another tournament going on that day. But truth be told, I'll go to that one before the other, but I'd rather go to both than just one. Know what I am saying? Just a suggestion, if it can't be done expect me there either way.
Actually, he should keep the tourney on this date, I'd rather go to this tourney then the other scrubby one in the other topic. FFA? Really...?

Anyhow, I could probably bring a setup for this. Is it just Brawl-only?

Top Bottom