• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MasterWarlord's Make Your Move 5 Story Mode: The Immortal Eye

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Zasalamel casually has his scythe comes back to him and goes to head into the temple.
'Comes' does not need the s on the end.

“Where is it?!? With eternal life I could get countless fortunes, this treasure is meaningless!
Where is it has to much punctuation. Make it 'Where is it!' or 'Where is it?'.

“Fool! How do you think I came back to kill you? This immortal eye will reincarnate me endlessly, ending this life will just start another. Did you honestly think it was so simple?!?”.[/QUOTE]

Once again, don't use more than one punctuation mark to end a sentence.

So...

What did I think of it? I'm a bit infamous for disliking these, but this wasn't so bad... a bit fan fiction-y, but definitely not bad. I might keep up with it.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
That was a nice start to your new SM.

Besides having more of a focus on plot, I see you also took inspiration from me to include stock and music. Yay!

I have no idea if Zasalemel is a hero or villian, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see. :bee:

As for the Zasalemel previews...I'll save my main thoughts for the actual posting, but I will say that he looks solid so far, and I LOVED how you tied together the DSmash with the Nair.

finalark

SNORLAX
I've seen some of these story mode threads around, and I have no clue what they are. But I like Zasalamel's move set. But then again, I mained him in Soul Calibur III so there's bound to be some bias.

dancingfrogman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3133 8842 3910
What a nice prologue you have there Warlord, It'll be intresting to see how this goes on!

Also, I didn't expect Undead Hero to appear, especially in the prologue already, so kudos for that.

(also the previews are also great as well)

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Zasalamel bias FTW. He seems like an epic moveset.

I love the prologue, but am slightly iffy about the dialogue. It's fine so far, but some characters should still remain mute.

Looking forward to the first chapter. Any idea when it will be up?

Mardyke

Smash Journeyman
It's looking good so far. You've continued your style of defining the story by the antagonist, though given the context of the events in the prologue I can't say I completely like how it's spun out.

Undead Hero's introduced quite well and given depth, so I'll definitely be watching his involvement.

Your organisation as a whole has improved, and I wholeheartedly welcome seeing some music tracks for the stages. Though I have to criticise how the objectives of each mission are organised - they're among the first things a player wants to know. They deserve to have their own title like the character & mission name, instead of being shoved into a random line in the following paragraph. An example:

Brawl: Kafziel (Zasalamel’s Scythe) VS. Temple Guards
Stock: 1
Music: Ordinary Pain (Soul Calibur 2 Money Pit – Top Tier Theme)

Yes, you play as Zasalamel’s scythe as you would when controlling it in Zasalamel’s down special. While Zasalamel’s scythe normally only has a mere 20 stamina, it’s thankfully buffed up to 75 for this fight. There are two guards out at a time, and they function like playable character clones of Marth/Ike. They are fully as strong as playable characters, and when you KO one another one comes to replace it. What is your goal? To survive 60 seconds to give Zasalamel enough time to get by unnoticed.
Should read:

Brawl: Kafziel (Zasalamel’s Scythe) VS. Temple Guards
Stock: 1
Music: Ordinary Pain (Soul Calibur 2 Money Pit – Top Tier Theme)
Objective: Survive for 60 seconds.

Yes, you play as Zasalamel’s scythe as you would when controlling it in Zasalamel’s down special. While Zasalamel’s scythe normally only has a mere 20 stamina, it’s thankfully buffed up to 75 for this fight. There are two guards out at a time, and they function like playable character clones of Marth/Ike. They are fully as strong as playable characters, and when you KO one another one comes to replace it. Fortunately, you need only last 60 seconds in order for Zasalamel to escape.
See what I mean? Much less confusion and much more interest that way.

Eagerly anticipating the first chapter. Keep it up, now.

Smady

Smash Master
Awesome. The fight with the assassin was very reminiscent of the fight against Zasalamel in SCIII, which was a cool throwback. I think the dialogue really helps with building the story, although I found the first part of this chapter funnily Scooby Doo-like with Zasalamel up to mischief.

The Trophy Master

Smash Journeyman
*Sends Sundance an orange elephant on Chirstmas, a
I'm first really appreciating the fact we have a preview of your set, which looks horribly long, like always. :p

Anyways, the story looks really good and well structured. Even with only 2 characters presented yet, it has a perfect story started. The custom characters, clones of Real ones, is a thing I love, really. I would so much want to control Zasalamel's scythe during an entire level part! :bee: As HR said, I wanna see Zasalamel's alignment, really. I also like the way you implemented Undead Hero.

The stage looks also cool and it's fun that even if 60 years pass, the story isn't radically changed. Finally, I can't wait for Chapter 1 and keep on like this, great work so far!

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I haven't read all of this chapter yet (only up to the Golbez vs. Undead Hero fight), due to being extremely tired, and it being late.
However, I have enjoyed the parts that I did read immensely, and you did a good job in portraying how the "best game ever" would work in the Smash Bros. world.
The writing style is what I expect from you, so no disappointment there.

The second part is also good, mixing Warcraft with Zelda, but also using elements from other franchises, such as the Soul Blades. All these things work together, and don't feel tacked on, which is excellent.
My favourite part of this chapter would be this level=
Level 10: Arcane Sanctum
This is due to it being different, but keeping the basic mechanics, and to some people, could prove a challenge whilst introducing them to the different attack patterns in game.

As I'm not working on movesets now, and that SM I started in MYM4 was a lot more enjoyable to make than a moveset, I may make one for this contest.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
This chapter is stupendously stupendous!

Your methods of introducing everyone were unexpected and enjoyable. Having the Great Deku Tree being part of the Night Elves forest was fantastic. I wasn't particularly overjoyed at Kel'Thuzad and Arthas being the servants of Zasalamel and the dialogue between Arthas and Kel was pretty much the opposite of Warcraft's implementation of them. Even with these issues, the chapter was enjoyable and ingenious. Illidan's introduction as a trainee demon hunter, with hints of his relationship with Tyrande still existing at this point in time, is one of my favorite parts of the story. Your method of introducing the homonculi was definitely not something that I could have seen coming, and while being a bit out of character, your creativity is to be applauded. The level designs were as interesting as always, of particular interest to me was the level where Link flees from the Druid of the Talon. The implementation of Palidan Arthas, Jaina Proudmore, Mounted Ganondorf, and others was also interesting.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Wow, that was an aweome first chapter.

I liked how most of the levels retained Brawl's core gameplay with special gimmicks attached. It made the chapter feel like Smash Bros but was still creative and interesting to read. I would be the moron who tries to bum-rush through the guards in Hyrule Castle xD

So, I'm assuming the plot isessentially Orcania of Time altrered into this new story with the Soul Edge instead of the Triforce. I felt it worked out really well. Having all of those side characters was an interesting way of adding more characters to interact with, as was the special "forms" of Illidian and Arthas.

For early-game bosses, I enjoyed both of them. They were simple but sounded fun to fight. Darknut was more interesting than I thought he would be.

And finally, I can't believe that you managed to make King Harkinian into a semi-serious character. That's like dividing by 0.

Tanookie

Smash Journeyman
*sends Sundance a leather harness on Dragon Apprec
This was great! I love how you seamlessly integrated the two universes of Zelda and Warcraft in such a natural way. It was great. I also loved how you managed to pull off traditional Zelda gameplay in a Smash Bros. style. Excellent work, and I'm looking forward to the next installment!

But by the way...Tyrande isn't an MYM 4 Guest. :p I assume that's a typo? And also...
Tyrande doesn't ride her tiger constantly, it's just an extra feature of her Side Special; her moveset is considerably simplified when she does so. Forgive me if you already knew that, but that's just the general gist I got from the chapter.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Jimnymebob said:
I haven't read all of this chapter yet (only up to the Golbez vs. Undead Hero fight), due to being extremely tired, and it being late.
However, I have enjoyed the parts that I did read immensely, and you did a good job in portraying how the "best game ever" would work in the Smash Bros. world.
The writing style is what I expect from you, so no disappointment there.
Ah. Was my timing in releasing the chapter really that bad? Sorry. Anyway, glad you’re enjoying it! :bee: All I’ve been doing in story modes for the most part is whoring out to Twilight Princess, so I figured OOT would be a nice change of pace. I’ve been wanting to do this for quite a while.

Heheh. . .No shortage of detail here.

The second part is also good, mixing Warcraft with Zelda, but also using elements from other franchises, such as the Soul Blades. All these things work together, and don't feel tacked on, which is excellent.
My favourite part of this chapter would be this level=
Level 10: Arcane Sanctum
This is due to it being different, but keeping the basic mechanics, and to some people, could prove a challenge whilst introducing them to the different attack patterns in game.
Good to see the rest of your commentary up. Thanks!

The second part was considerably harder to write due to there being a lot more dialogue. Anyway, glad you liked the mixing and meshing of worlds. This chapter was trying to fuse some the main medieval universes I wanted to use together. A particular goal of this was for the setting to feel natural.

I was particularly proud of the game mechanics of that level myself, I’m glad you enjoyed it as well.

As I'm not working on movesets now, and that SM I started in MYM4 was a lot more enjoyable to make than a moveset, I may make one for this contest.
II thought you were quite exceptional in story mode making in MYM 4. Even if you didn’t make all that much, what you did have was quality. More so then most of the other SMs. I’d LOVE to see you write one.

Chris_Lionheart said:
This chapter is stupendously stupendous!
Stupendous!

Your methods of introducing everyone were unexpected and enjoyable. Having the Great Deku Tree being part of the Night Elves forest was fantastic. I wasn't particularly overjoyed at Kel'Thuzad and Arthas being the servants of Zasalamel and the dialogue between Arthas and Kel was pretty much the opposite of Warcraft's implementation of them. Even with these issues, the chapter was enjoyable and ingenious. Illidan's introduction as a trainee demon hunter, with hints of his relationship with Tyrande still existing at this point in time, is one of my favorite parts of the story. Your method of introducing the homonculi was definitely not something that I could have seen coming, and while being a bit out of character, your creativity is to be applauded. The level designs were as interesting as always, of particular interest to me was the level where Link flees from the Druid of the Talon. The implementation of Palidan Arthas, Jaina Proudmore, Mounted Ganondorf, and others was also interesting.
I was trying to go to the origins of several characters with this story mode to make it more interesting. While this did cause some characters to have their characters somewhat flawed, such as Arthas and Kel, I’m hoping that they will ultimately develop into the characters they really are by the end of the SM. As for the homunculi, they’re essentially just created like that in the manga, which I personally find vastly superior to the anime.

Anyway, thanks for the praise, glad you enjoyed it. I was really trying to go for something more unique and unexpected with this first chapter.

Hyper_Ridley said:
Wow, that was an aweome first chapter.
:bee:

I liked how most of the levels retained Brawl's core gameplay with special gimmicks attached. It made the chapter feel like Smash Bros but was still creative and interesting to read. I would be the moron who tries to bum-rush through the guards in Hyrule Castle xD
Staying to the core mechanics of Smash is really essential for me. I try to never stray from actually using the Brawl engine and instead simply use it’s potential to the fullest.

Heh heh. . .If you’re bad at stealth, you’ll hate the next chapter.

So, I'm assuming the plot isessentially Orcania of Time altrered into this new story with the Soul Edge instead of the Triforce. I felt it worked out really well. Having all of those side characters was an interesting way of adding more characters to interact with, as was the special "forms" of Illidian and Arthas.
I honestly wasn’t thinking of the pieces of the Triforce at all as I made this chapter, but it did sort of turn out that way, didn’t it? Glad you liked how it turned out either way. I’ve always been a fan of adding NPCs to my SM and I probably won’t stop with them any time soon. I was also anticipating using the original forms of Illidan and Arthas to help give them more backstory, and I’m thankful it turned out well.

For early-game bosses, I enjoyed both of them. They were simple but sounded fun to fight. Darknut was more interesting than I thought he would be.
I was afraid Voldo might’ve overshadowed Gohma a bit, but I decided to dismiss Voldo’s difficulty by making the prologue entirely optional. Anyway, I’m still somewhat satisfied with Gohma’s ceiling hanging mechanics. I honestly didn’t expect Darknut to be that interesting myself either, but once I got the idea of using the pieces of his armor that fell off he really came together. I probably would’ve included Armogohma as a more standard boss instead of Darknut, but I already used Armogohma in my MYM 4 SM, and I’ve already done a –lot- of giant bug bosses. I’m starting to run out of ideas to make them all unique.

And finally, I can't believe that you managed to make King Harkinian into a semi-serious character. That's like dividing by 0.
I almost made Harkinian a MYM 4 guest, but I didn’t really want to be stuck with him killing the more serious tone of the SM for it’s entire duration, considering that everybody now has dialogue. He was still mainly used for comedic purposes here, but I felt that his role was beneficial to the chapter overall, as I didn’t want things to get too dark so early on.

Tanookie said:
This was great! I love how you seamlessly integrated the two universes of Zelda and Warcraft in such a natural way. It was great. I also loved how you managed to pull off traditional Zelda gameplay in a Smash Bros. style. Excellent work, and I'm looking forward to the next installment!
Glad you enjoyed it! Warcraft and Zelda fit together really easily, to be quite honest, and I’m very used to these sorts of medieval settings anyway. I was hoping to reach out to the Smash Bros. fanbase more with the Zelda parts, particularly with the first half where the SM was nearly exclusively following Link. Anyway, thanks, I’ll try not to disappoint!

But by the way...Tyrande isn't an MYM 4 Guest. I assume that's a typo? And also...Tyrande doesn't ride her tiger constantly, it's just an extra feature of her Side Special; her moveset is considerably simplified when she does so. Forgive me if you already knew that, but that's just the general gist I got from the chapter.
Ah, indeed, that was a typo. My apologies. . . .And I did indeed assume that Tyrande constantly rode her tiger, considering Lionheart already did a mounted moveset with his Arthas and Tyrande is always mounted in WC3. Perhaps I’ll just change the mechanics of the level revolving around sniffing Link’s scent to being activated by side B rather then crouching?

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
Your chapter is epic, Warlord. The combination of Warcraft and Zelda is perfect.

Agi

Smash Lord
Massive wall of text as always, Warlord. However, the way you made Zasalamel's moves be critical for progressing through the stage was a great idea.

...I'll try to read this thing, but no promises.

half_silver28

Smash Ace
Well... there were a lot of things in this chapter I liked.
Wolf's role in the story was kind of random, but pretty dang cool.
I wish I could give you more input on using the MGS plotlines, but I'm sadly unfamiliar with the series.

Fatman and psycho mantis were just flat out epic: SO... I SEE YOU ENJOY PLAYING MADWORLD... lol. Envy's role was pretty funny in this chapter, he just likes to stir up trouble everywhere he goes xd.

My biggest complaint about this chapter is how little it seemed to have to do with the overarching plot of the SM. Aside from Envy possessing a soul edge shard, there wasn't really anything to tie it to what happened 400 years earlier in the story.

Well, whatever. It was still a cool chapter. Awesomeness! :bee:

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Well... there were a lot of things in this chapter I liked.
Wolf's role in the story was kind of random, but pretty dang cool.
I wish I could give you more input on using the MGS plotlines, but I'm sadly unfamiliar with the series.

Fatman and psycho mantis were just flat out epic: SO... I SEE YOU ENJOY PLAYING MADWORLD... lol. Envy's role was pretty funny in this chapter, he just likes to stir up trouble everywhere he goes xd.

My biggest complaint about this chapter is how little it seemed to have to do with the overarching plot of the SM. Aside from Envy possessing a soul edge shard, there wasn't really anything to tie it to what happened 400 years earlier in the story.

Well, whatever. It was still a cool chapter. Awesomeness! :bee:
Glad to see some more actual (constructive) criticism besides grammar nazism. Let me be the first to say that I welcome it, including in SMs. Shows people are actually paying attention.

Chapter 2 indeed has very little continuity with chapter 1, but from here on out things should flow much better. The next chapters will feature plenty of returning characters.

Wolf's role will be explained more in the second half of the chapter and hopefully seem less random, hopefully. He's taking the place of a MGS character, but obviously stretching out from them a lot. Either way, glad you liked it.

Envy mixing things up a bit I hoped would be a decent wrench to throw into the standard MGS2 plotline. He's doing more then just screwing around, but you'll just have to wait and see for that. Not that he wouldn't leave to screw around for the hell of it anyway.

Anyway, thanks for the commentary and the read.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
Now that's a stealth level done right.

Seriously, I loved it all. There were so many subtleties involved that this whole level could really be a story mode of its own! The whole incident at the tanker and the apparent developments between the 2 years until the rest of the level was ingenious. On top of this, the level designs were amazing as were the character implementations. I may not have played a MGS game before, but, from what I can tell, Snake, Raiden, Fatman, Fortune, and Psyco Mantis were all realistically implemented. Envy's role seems to be very much in character as well. Wolf's and Foxes's roles were very interesting in a way that I could never have thought of using them. I don't think Roy Mustang's role was particularly in character (his actual personality was but not his role), as he almost seemed evil from what I could gather. Then again, I don't have much MGS knowledge to go on. President Sakurai and VP Iwata made me lol, as did the whole "I see you enjoy playing *insert game*." I got a strange enjoyment out of the conversation between Psyco Mantis and Fortune "I am sickened by you humans obsessing over passing on your DNA." (or something like that)... lol.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
First of all, the plot was kinda hard to follow, but that may have just been due to Metal Gear Solid having a really confusing storyline to begin with.

However, what I could get out of the plot, as well as the gameplay segments, was epic.

I loved how you showed how Wolf got his eyepatch. The Battalion Army being the actual army was also rather clever.

The levels were all really creative. I liked how you implemented the corpse dragging into Snake's and Raiden's move sets, as well as the special changes made to various characters for various gameplay segments. Cyborg Ninja Wolf FTW! Fatman's battle was also cool how he was like a boss and his bomb mechanic for the fight.

The Harrier was an unexpected boss, and despite just being a generic plane I enjoyed the battle. The final attack reminds me of the final phase of my Ultimate Spadefox, lol.

But holy poop, there's still more to go in this Chapter! I applaud you for being able to make a SM this long, I would have shot myself by this point.

UserShadow7989

Smash Journeyman
Firstly, let me get this out of my system: ThankyouthankyouthankyoforusingmyOcelotmovesetOMGWTFBBQLOL! Thanks.

Secondly, I must say I'm impressed on how you managed to merge Warcraft and The Legend of Zelda together in the first chapter, and the melding of Metal Gear Solid 2's plot with Full Metal Alchemest characters. The missions are just the right length of detail and the story has pulled me in. I'm waiting patiently as I can manage for more of this story mode, and I hope there will be more story modes of this quality in the future. I apologise for the lack of critisizim in this post, but I can't find any way to improve, perhaps because of my lacking experience with them.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
This chapter was win. Seriously, I forgot how awesome your futuristic chapters were, seeing as how the Royal Flush was discontinued before it got this. Snake's entrance was sweet and nostalgic, and the Codec Conversations provided great entertainment. The Fox vs. Wolf parts were intense and awesome. Sakurai and Iwata made me lol, and I hope Sakurai can get more screentime to himself to show off some Brawl memes that I had a hard time finding here. The characters and levels meshed nicely to form an excellent read. I'm not the biggest fan of the dialogue (selective dialogue, like in the Royal Flush, was my favorite), but it doesn't detract from the amazing quality. Can't wait for more!

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
I'll have give this a full read later (admittedly I read most of it but skimmed a bit of it, but hey, I've read all the rest of it so far >_>)...

I -DO- however love you for putting Dumb Drum as a boss like you promised you would. I'm incredibly happy to see how that turned out. The Fortune boss was win too, as was the Metal Gear RAY one...

*scurries off to work on music mode*

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Epicness overload!

Okay, so first off, the story was MUCH easier to follow now, so yay for that! Besides the Space Pirates and Ridley getting a nod [/bias], I enjoyed seeing an explenation for AI Colonel suddenly going haywire.

The levels were, once again, really creative with tons of little puzzles using character move sets. I liked the remote-missile maze.

Sakurai's role was hilarious. So many references to Brawl, with the friend codes, masterpieces, tiers...many lulz were had.

My favorite part was easily the computer segment. It was awesome being a computer virus running around taking out a firewall. And the SWF level was full of lolz, cyber Grimer FTW!

The boss fights were cool. I liked all the little mechanics they had. My favorite boss was Fortune, if only because she has her own final smash. That was epic.

So overall, awesomeness. I can't wait for more. =D

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
MarthTrinity said:
I'll have give this a full read later (admittedly I read most of it but skimmed a bit of it, but hey, I've read all the rest of it so far >_>)...
I didn’t think you actually fully read any of it, so. . .That’s a big improvement. Thank you! =D

I -DO- however love you for putting Dumb Drum as a boss like you promised you would. I'm incredibly happy to see how that turned out. The Fortune boss was win too, as was the Metal Gear RAY one...
How could I not put in Dumb Drum? Seeing you’re using you know who in your music mode, I had to return the favor. Glad you liked the bosses in general! =).

*scurries off to work on music mode*
</In Joke>

TheSundanceKid said:
XD

Sakurai's part is freaking epic. I love the Cheez Whiz references.
I’m not Sakurai! I’m Baron Von Pancakes!

Hyper_Ridley said:
Epicness overload!
=D

Okay, so first off, the story was MUCH easier to follow now, so yay for that! Besides the Space Pirates and Ridley getting a nod [/bias], I enjoyed seeing an explenation for AI Colonel suddenly going haywire.
I figured you’d enjoy Ridley and the Space Pirates being in there, even if their role was kinda small. Next chapter they’ll get an increase, though, so don’t you worry. As for AI Colonel, I was looking forward to do doing an in-computer segment for a considerable while, and it won’t be the last.

The levels were, once again, really creative with tons of little puzzles using character move sets. I liked the remote-missile maze.
Gotta get Rool to skim this thing somehow, aye?

Sakurai's role was hilarious. So many references to Brawl, with the friend codes, masterpieces, tiers...many lulz were had.
I questioned if I made Sakurai’s role a bit –too- ridiculous, but I’m glad that even if it was it was worth it for the lulz.

My favorite part was easily the computer segment. It was awesome being a computer virus running around taking out a firewall. And the SWF level was full of lolz, cyber Grimer FTW!
The back room only makes sense to be the final segment, and cyber Grimers were a no brainer for the enemies. The SWF level idea actually came pretty late into development with the chapter, but I’m pretty happy with it.

The boss fights were cool. I liked all the little mechanics they had. My favorite boss was Fortune, if only because she has her own final smash. That was epic.
Ah. Not HR commentary without boss commentary, no? I’m surprised Fortune’s getting so much praise, she was actually one of the ones I was more worried about.

So overall, awesomeness. I can't wait for more. =D
:bee:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
This pretty much was an epic conclusion to an amazing chapter. You expanded Sakurai's role into a nice semi-serious, yet still meme-packed part. The tiers of the tower and the (laughs) parts were the best. The rest of the characters were still portrayed great. The unique parts of each boss fight were great. I especially liked Dumb Drum, although that's probably just my DKC fanboy. I thought you were going to make some of the spawned enemies be Klumps, alone from K&K, but using his moveset and not powered down, cause Dumb Drum does that in his actual fight. Still, what you had was great. The Smash World Forums level was epic win. I guess Arthur would be one of the characters you fight there...

Amazing. I can't wait for the rest, with my characters in it :D

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
As great as your chapter was before, it's even better when it is complete! The connection between chapter 1 + chapter 2 has finally been established and it is truly genious. The humor in this level is amazing and yet doesn't really hurt the seriousness of the SM at all. Your references to Smash, SWF, and especially Make Your Move alone were enough to make this half of the chapter worth the long read. The level designs were creative as always and the boss fights did not disappoint. The characters were convincing and the dialogue was as good as any I've ever seen.

My only problem is that the gameplay seems to be a huge pain. You highly overestimate what an average (non-casual) gamer is capable of, especially in the fight against Soldius Snake, which you state gives him both the flawless reflexes of a computer and the best of human intelligence. Absolutely rediculous. I can sum this paragraph up in one sentence.... There is challgenging and then there is rip-your-hair-out frustrating.... and this is definitely the latter.

UserShadow7989

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry I didn't get around to replying to this. I was working on my movesets at the time, and forgot about it after I was finished. Anywho, let's get on with the comments.

The first thing that leaps to mind about this Story Mode is the boss battles. You've obviously put a lot of effort into them, and I enjoyed every moment I spent reading them. The Metal Gear RAY fight was suitably epic, and the Vamp and Fortune boss fights manage to be awesome as well, giving plenty of throwbacks to Metal Gear Solid 2. The very fact that you made a Fortune boss fight to begin with makes me happy, since I've always wished that whatever fight occured between her and Snake was playable. The Dumb Drum fight also makes me giddy- I alternatly loved and hated that Boss every time I played Donkey Kong Country.

My only problem with this is the Solidus fight, for the same reason Chris Lionheart pointed out in his post. That level of AI is brutal. I'd be okay with it if this was near the end of the game, but this is only the second chapter out of... actually, I don't know how many you're planning.

Okay, next up is the story. I love how you've brought everything in this chapter to a head, and how you connected it to the previous chapter in spite of a large time gap. The characters are all in character, and their interactions are all fun to read. I'm no expert on this section, and there's not much for me to say other then repeated praise, so let's move on.

Level design. As I state before, you employed the mechanics of MGS very well in this chapter. I'm impressed. The number of unique levels is impressive, with you adding in an element or two to keep it varied. My favorite levels would be the ones involving Computer Virus, Heatman, and AI Colonel. The one's I'd hate doing are the swimming ones, but that's more from bad memories of MGS2's equivilent segments. Still, your versions would be much less painful to play and, dare I say it, fun. I really like how you integrated the MGS levels into this Story Mode, changing what would be bland platforming into creative, enjoyable levels by adding Stealth, Time Limits, and more.

The last thing I'd like to mention is the number of Playable Character vs. Playable Character fights. I'm happy to see so many. My biggest problem with SSE was the lack of actual Brawls, and you've made sure not to fall into that trap, providing plenty of fights and giving them enough variety to not be repetitive. I really wish you were in charge of the SSE. It would've been a hell of a lot better. That's not saying much, but still.

Overall, I love this Story Mode and I hope to see more of this in the future.

Smady

Smash Master
Finally read this all today to get some more ideas together for Raiden, it was worth it besides. Incredible story mode indeed. I like how brave you were in including all the cutscenes from MGS2 and you changed around the game to fit in with Smash quite perfectly. Also, good catch on avoiding too much mention of my movesets, besides the stuff I told you - I'm embarassed to be just getting on with Raiden now, with Solidus probably in MYM6, it's quite shameful. :laugh:

Really, there's too much to mention, but AI Colonel definitely stands out, as he did in the game. All his one-liners or para-liners are classics and you using him in the game was radical. You certainly did enough to keep things exciting all the way through, which is impressive and your use of Solidus made my fanboy heart beat once more. :chuckle:

Yeah, totally a MGS fan's wet dream. You should continue this someday.

Top Bottom