• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snapshot Hacking, the easy way! Maestro's guide to breaking GeckoOS's 256-line limit

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
Snapshot Hacking, the easy way!

Maestro's guide to breaking GeckoOS's 256-line limit

This really needs no introduction, but I'll give one anyways. The snapshot hack allows you to bypass the 256-line limit on .gct files by, as you might have guessed, loading the codes into a snapshot. The original idea was created by Phantom Wings, Xane, Heinermann, and PizzaBoy. Y.S. made it possible to load .gct files from a snapshot, and Shortfuse streamlined the process with his automatic GCT>BIN converter. Sooo...thank them, not me.

The Guide
0. Before starting, I'm assuming you've played Brawl+ before, compiling .gct files with either the Code Manager or Shortfuse's BrawlPlusTweaker. Download BrawlPlusTweaker v0.096 (link in the Useful Links section) if you haven't done so already.

1. Compile a .gct file containing only the snapshot hack code that applies to your region (Unfortunately, I am not in possession of the other two codes, but you can find the NTSC-U snapshot hack in the Useful Links section, bundled with File Replacement v2.1) The texture swap codes cannot be loaded from a snapshot, so if you incude them, they must be in the .gct file, before the snapshot code. This .gct is the one that will be placed in the "codes" folder of your sd card like a normal codeset.

*Note: this step is one-time-only, as the same codes will activate any texture swaps and snapshot hacks. When you compile the .gct file for any later codeset, start at step 2 (unless the texture or snapshot codes have been updated).

2. Compile your .gct file like usual, except for the fact that the 256-line limit no longer applies (and the fact that the texture swap codes are in the other .gct).

3. The next step is to convert your codeset to the .bin (snapshot) file format.
------------a) If you're using the BrawlPlusTweaker, you can save it directly as a .bin file. If you have the SDKEY and SDIV keys (which Shortfuse cannot include in the Tweaker for legal reasons but can be found online), it will be encrypted.
------------b) If you're using Code Manager or any other code-compiling program, save your .gct like usual. Open up the BrawlPlusTweaker, press the GCT>BIN button, and select the saved file. The file will be converted to .bin format (and automatically encrypted if you are in possession of the keys).

4. Save the file as "al_<name>.bin" and copy it to the directory "SD card:\private\wii\app\RSBX\al", replacing the X based on your region (J for NTSC-J, E for NTSC-U, and P for PAL). Check to make sure that the .gct with the texture and snapshot codes is in the "codes" file of the SD root.
*Note: The directory will have already been created if you have snapshots saved to your SD card.

5. Load the sd card through the Homebrew Channel and GeckoOS like usual. Go to your album and view the snapshots on your SD card. Load the code snapshot (which will show up as a garbled image) to activate the codeset.

6. Thank PW, Y.S., Shortfuse, and all the other amazing coders for all the hard work they've done.

7. Enjoy! :D

*Note: I've just calculated that you'd need somewhere in the range of 12,000 lines of code to reach the size of your average snapshot. For me, that's only 11,685 to go! This note in unimportant since we now have Gecko 1.9.1, so you wont need to snapshot hack unless you're using a hacked ISO...

Useful Links

BrawlPlusTweaker
By Shortfuse
A new app that gives you more control over creating codes, and includes a GCT>BIN converter that is vital for the snapshot hack.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=222151

My Mediafire Account
By Maestro26
Since Y.S. dropped the snapshot hack codes from his thread, you can find the GCT that goes in 'codes' here (as 'Snapshot Hack v2.1 + File Replacement v2.1.gct'), bundled with the texture swap codes.
Note: only for NTSC-U; if you're in another region, you'll have to find the codes yourself, as I don't know where they are. Alternatively, pester Y.S. to repost them.
http://www.mediafire.com/Maestro26

Textures now possible without ISO Hacking
By SMK/Falco400
SMK's guide to texture swapping without having to hack and burn discs. You can find the texture swap codes here.
http://www.smashboards.com/qshowthread.php?t=225642

Revven

FrankerZ
You forgot to mention two things:

1. Loading Gecko OS with the snapshot codes
2. Texture codes need to be in the .gct you load with Gecko OS. Putting the texture codes in the snapshots will cause a freeze. (Texture codes as in, the ones for the characters or stages or whatever).

supersonicridley

Smash Cadet
Simply Amazing, Really easy to use, and it works Great, Now we can have Textures and Brawl+ and whatever else! :D thank you thank you, thanks to everyone Involved with brawl+ and hacking.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
You don't need the texture converter pack or make a gct first. to convert in brawl+ tweaker just select what you want and hit Save then select to save as a Snapshot file.

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
Aww shi-

That was a holdover from the tut with Tweaker v007

For the rest of you, I'm glad it works

EDIT: fix'd and made pretty
I think you didn't get it. GCT=>BIN is only there for legacy reasons. You don't need to make a GCT file first in order to make a BIN. You don't even need to use Ocarina either. I think I have to make a manual/FAQ for Brawl+ Tweaker. there are so many things you can do with it that people don't know.

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
I haven't read this yet, but I'm trying to do this without Brawl+.
I'm just trying to use A bunch of music hacks and texture hacks, that's it.

Is loading codes from snapshots only work for texture hacks? Or can I do it with any kind of code, mostly music hacks.

I'm using the button Music modifier by the way. ;)

Revven

FrankerZ
Since Nuke (The guy who made gecko os) quit, Gecko 2.0 is prolly dead. As in, not gonna happen.
No, it is, except it's not Gecko 2.0. It's a build of Gecko OS brkirch is working on which will have very similar features from 2.0 included (such as more lines for Brawl).

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
No, it is, except it's not Gecko 2.0. It's a build of Gecko OS brkirch is working on which will have very similar features from 2.0 included (such as more lines for Brawl).
Yeah, it's going to use data injection like I was trying to do with GCV files. I'm not sure how he's doing it. Oh yeah, and no GeckoUSB still :(

MK26

Smash Master
I think you didn't get it. GCT=>BIN is only there for legacy reasons. You don't need to make a GCT file first in order to make a BIN. You don't even need to use Ocarina either. I think I have to make a manual/FAQ for Brawl+ Tweaker. there are so many things you can do with it that people don't know.
Oh, sorry, I didn't even notice that. Fix'd once again

I haven't read this yet, but I'm trying to do this without Brawl+.
I'm just trying to use A bunch of music hacks and texture hacks, that's it.

Is loading codes from snapshots only work for texture hacks? Or can I do it with any kind of code, mostly music hacks.

I'm using the button Music modifier by the way. ;)
You can load any code from the sd card, as long as the total codes add up to 256 or fewer lines and the "load/execute codes from snapshot" are the last codes in your gct. The reason texture hacks are there is because you can't load them from the snapshot, they have to be in the sd card. I'm not sure if music hacks can be loaded from the snapshot though.

shortfuse how do I make my own .b+ files from scratch.
You'd probably want to ask that in the Brawl+ Tweaker, but I'm pretty sure it's under this format:
Code:
TITLE
DESCRIPTION (can be left blank)
DEFAULT VALUES (can be left blank)
CODE
CODE
CODE
Just write out the code like that and save it as <TITLE>.b+

Which of the codes in the smk thread do i use?
All the codes in the first
Code:
 box - File Replacement v1.3, Disable custom stages, dynamic sd loader, and sd files

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
5. Load the sd card through the Homebrew Channel and GeckoOS like usual. Go to your album and view the SD card snapshots. Load the code snapshot (which will show up as a garbled image) to activate the codeset.
We needed to do that!? Oh crap, that's what I was missing!

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Yeah, looks like I made two mistakes here. I put the texture code in my .bin, and I didn't realize that you needed to LOOK at the screenshot to activate the codes.

GirugaMarc

Smash Apprentice
this isn't working for me...

I tried the tex hax and Brawl+4 codes and the brawl+ portion isn't working

I put that code and the texture hacks codes in the gct btw, and the Brawl+ codes in the snapshot and viewed it

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
Hmmm...... Music hacks (or at least the button music hack) don't work with the snapshot hack. :ohwell:

Must've done something wrong. :urg: Can the name of the snapshot be just about anything?
I followed every direction, I viewed the snapshot. The codes in the .gct is working though.

MK26

Smash Master
this isn't working for me...

I tried the tex hax and Brawl+4 codes and the brawl+ portion isn't working

I put that code and the texture hacks codes in the gct btw, and the Brawl+ codes in the snapshot and viewed it
Hmmm...... Music hacks (or at least the button music hack) don't work with the snapshot hack. :ohwell:

Must've done something wrong. :urg: Can the name of the snapshot be just about anything?
I followed every direction, I viewed the snapshot. The codes in the .gct is working though.
For both of you, if the texture hack is working but no other codes are, the problem is with the way you formatted the snapshot. Are you sure you've converted and encrypted it correctly (not that it's any difficult)? The snapshot can be named just about everything, but it must start with al_ and end in .bin

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
I think it's just the music hack. I'm positive I did everything right. I didn't skip anything.......
I used the Brawl+ tweaker.

Phantom1987

Smash Apprentice
hey ... can I use more than one snapshot?? and another question... I get freeze when I try using the hitbox modifier (in snapshot, haven't tried without it)... so I am thinking I don't know how to use that code.. do I have to put all the modifiers together or as an extension of the hit box mod code? when I put them separately my game just freeze...

Adetque

Smash Apprentice
What do you mean save it as al_<name>.bmp? I tried saving it as al_RSBE01.bin, but it didn't work.

MK26

Smash Master
I think it's just the music hack. I'm positive I did everything right. I didn't skip anything.......
I used the Brawl+ tweaker.
It's entirely possible that the music hack isn't compatible with snapshot hacking. I'm not sure, though.

hey ... can I use more than one snapshot?? and another question... I get freeze when I try using the hitbox modifier (in snapshot, haven't tried without it)... so I am thinking I don't know how to use that code.. do I have to put all the modifiers together or as an extension of the hit box mod code? when I put them separately my game just freeze...
I think you can use more than one snapshot for different codesets, but I'm not sure. Ask in the Code Q&A or the IRC chat about the hitbox modifier, I can't help you there.

What do you mean save it as al_<name>.bmp? I tried saving it as al_RSBE01.bin, but it didn't work.
It's supposed to be in .bin format. I don't know where you got .bmp from. <name> can be absolutely anything.

Revven

FrankerZ
It is not recommended you load more than ONE code set at a time. For example, if you have a B+ set and then a general set with replays and music and load the B+ set, play it for awhile and then load the other set WITHOUT restarting, your Wii is likely to freeze/crash.

It is not recommended, so you still have to restart your Wii.

Top Bottom