• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Match Up Thread. Being Redone Soon.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
Big update coming. I'm going to be posting a mini vid right under each character w a youtube video discussing the match up. :)

This thread will cover every character and will be outlined in the following format:

New Update: Most used moves in the match up.

character name

P.O.F.s advice
Cactuars Advice
Corts Advice
Mewtwokings Advice
ArcNaturals Advice
Useful links
Character Combo Videos

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
Bowser

Odds: 80/20

Most people think upon entering this match up that they really have nothing to worry about. For the most part, they're right! Abusing your grab game against Bowser is a really really really really good idea. His grab game is utter garbage compared to yours and if you catch up him in the air at a decent percent you can do at least 3-4 u tilts to really rack in the damage. Marth also combos Bowser EXTREMELY well AS LONG AS YOU SPACE NICELY. If you fail to tipper Bowser at early percents he can retaliate back. Watch out for Bowsers up B as it comes out INSANELY fast and is the best offensive upB in the game. Another thing to note about his upb (recovery) is that when recovering most Bowsers (when below or even with the stage trying to make it back up) will start to move towards the stage....but then hesitate and fall back trying to bait you for that f smash or d tilt early. Marth ***** Bowser in each and every aspect as long as you don't underestimate him, use your brain, and space just as you would any other match in the entire game. Marth has a better grab, more range, is faster, edge guards better, and is just an overall better character. Don't lose this match up. You should not have to worry about running into too many Bowsers in tournament unless you face Gimpyfish or DJ Nintendo. If I find inputs from Mewtwoking, Cactuar, or anyone else....I will post.

Most used:

uthrow
nair
uair
f tilt

Combo Videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7z_sGTTQgY -Gimpyfish: The Movie by Gimpyfish

Captain Falcon

Odds: 50/50

I don't care what anyone says, this match up is even. It's really not as difficult as some Marth mains make it out to be though. Falcons love to camp but Falcon doesn't exactly have a projectile. He has speed. How do you reduce the amount of speed? Small stages. With smaller stages this minimizes Falcons ability to out camp you. Tech chasing if my favorite thing to do in this match up because Falcons really hate it and hes arguably one of the easiest characters in the game to tech chase. Peach has Dsmash, Spacies Shine, Bowser- Up B, Jigs-shouldnt be tech chasing her, Iceys-Same. Falcon has little to no options against you as you tech chase him. Tech chase him to the ledge and then follow up with something simple such as D tilt. It really is insanely stupid in this match up how much it hurts Falcon. I like to tech chases to the ledge....throw them off and then d tilt. If the Falcon Di's it and avoids your edge guards by SS the ledge than you need to focus more on your combo game. You can kiss the tech chase to ledge game goodbye. Still tech chase, but dont expect easy gimps. U throw is also really nice VS Falcon and also sets up for a tech chase. If they are at mid to high percents you can follow up with aerials and do whatever you like. Just make sure you keep the Falcon off balance and constantly put him in a tough spot. Remember that Falcons work off of momentum and silly dumb combos. Don't let them get comfortable w you. When Falcons off stage you need to keep in mind a couple of things. A-Simple edge guards are just fine. A big powerful fsmash is not always necessary. B-If you miss an edge guard watch out of the ledge hop knee. So many Falcons use this to get out of tight spots when they are being edge guarded. It really hurts when they get the invincibility frames from the ledge as well. Use d tilt for edge guarding, u tilt, TIPPERED fairs to start combos at mid percents, and grabs to tech chases to win this one. Use and abuse your grabs. F and D throw being your most used and u throw when you want to set them up on a platform or combo their butt off.

Most used:

d tilt
all throws minus back
bair (edge guards when he goes up high ex-DL 64, BF)

Cactuar

I also like playing as Falcon on FoD. I feel that he uses the platforms very well when they are low, and when they are high or gone, it's basically a small FD with a middle **** platform.

If they just spam nair and knee, you could just stand there and utilt. :laugh:

No really though, I find myself hitting spammy Falcons with a lot of random dash attacks, which leads into Marth killing Falcon given the proper followups. Fair beats out knee easily, but I don't really try to trade with nair. Just wait for them to land and hit them with something (grab, smash, tilt even...).

With Falcon, anything can be possible/awesome.

(DI dependent)
I use a variety of different DI's vs Falcon.
Marth vs Falcon really just comes down to stage size and how willing the Falcon is to DD camp for grabs. Smaller stages are obviously worse for Falcon as he will always be closer to being off the stage, where he is almost always going to lose a stock vs a good Marth. If the Falcon can land the grabs, Marth shouldn't be a problem at all. Falcon has throw autocombos well into kill percents on Marth. Marth players in this matchup also have to be adept at getting grabs and being able to get the Falcon up to a low mid percent before really being able to combo them. All combos by the Marth player should be done with getting the Falcon off stage, as Marth's edgeguard game vs Falcon is incredibly easy and stupid.

Emblem Lord

That's all Scar had to say. Marth's onstage game suffers due to Falcon's speed and suffocating dash dance since he will always be on top of Marth.

Anyway, I think the match is slightly in Falcon's Favor. He can always combo Marth at any percent where as Marth must rely on tech chasing to get in early damage or get edge gimps.

But Falcon has superior mobility so it's somewhat easiar for him to keep the match in the center of the stage.

Plus once Marth hit's a high enough percent CF will always have a garuanteed kill using either d-throw to knee or u-throw to knee. Replace knee with uair if Marth's percent is really really high.

Falcon can't approach Marth recklessly, but I think it's easiar for him to stay in control.

Marth really has to...

WATCH OUT FOR TEH KNEE!!!!

Seriously the knee hurts as a finisher and Falcon set-ups Marth for those like nobodies business.

Mewtwoking

Falcon does have the advantage vs Marth unless the falcon is stupid and goes to the ledge vs marth. On stage, Falcon has the advantage.

also after throwing falcon off, either dash off fair, or counter

do one of those 2 things, 50% of the time each, and that will kill them every other time

marth is amazing on stage, just not vs captain falcon

he cant combo falcon as easily as most characters, unless he gets uair strings or something but he combos other characters better, AND more easily set up

falcon just gimps marth at low %s with easy combos than marth can't do back to falcon unless already at the very edge when falcon comes to him

watch this vid, Azen vs Jiano - http://youtube.com/watch?v=rHBE89jQ4PM

look how perfect Azen plays for the most part, and all the unnecessary damage he racks up, only for Jiano to take 3 stocks when Azen takes 2, just showing what the matchup is like.
Arcnatural

Falcon can't be Chain grabbed unless they DI fully, I'm pretty sure they can jump out otherwise. Honestly don't need to CG Falcon, Upthrow techchase (watch for them to jump out and then you can combo pretty easily). Falcon doesn't need to nair as an approach. Falcon can approach with a lot of different setups.

The main things to watch out for with Marth is to avoid getting predictable with dash dancing as Falcon is fast enough to start attacking your patterns. You can CC grab his nair but you can't really CC his dair and knee so you need to be pretty confident that they are going to nair. If your good at reaction you can uptilt Falcon out of his shffl approaches as well. And just edgeguard well. Pretty much any standard edgeguard wrecks Falcon as long as you don't panic.

Usefil Links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swR_-Mvlznw&feature=channel_page

Take a look at this set here. A nice set. Watch how HBK goes about approaching Scar. He tries to utilize his grabs and get Falcon above him and off the stage ASAP. Also, you'll notice that on FD he misses an Fsmash early on in the match...Scar gets back up dairs him...and kills him. Do not f smash Falcon randomly on stage because then he will jump out of shield with a fair...and then you die. :laugh: Also look in the third match how he quickly grabs Scar, fthrow him and then follows up with a d tilt immediately. 6:37-6:46 also shows off how gay the u tilt is VS Falcon. This is a great set to watch to get a good understanding at how to approach this match up.

Combo Videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y8rQ_0zNIg I Killed Mufasa by Scar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDNJv92TCjk I Killed Mufasa II by Scar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vziStKcg6g Silence by Silent Spectre
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxgk2NfqOoM Mind Reader by Dark Rain

Doctor Mario

Odds: 70/30

Doc can be either a really big pain in the ***......or, really easy. That all depends upon one thing though, how good your spacing is. Docs main use of getting inside of your sword is by throwing pills at you and abusing them. Any sword swipe that you do (jab, f tilt, f smash, fair, bair, etc) will disrupt his pills. Don't let Doc get inside you because if he does, he can combo you and do things to you. His fair hits hard, his throws are decent, hes got some decent edge guards against you, and he does have a projectile which are a pain in the *** for Marth. Be extremely patient when he tries to approach you and try to keep Doc above and in front of you. I find that u throw to u tilt to fairs work beautifully in this match up due to how floaty Doc is. If you space your fairs nicely in the air....he really has no options against you other than to jump or spot doge early and pray for the best. At mid percents I like to use f throw to fairs. His recovery is not all that great so simple things like f tilt or d tilt will disrupt it easily. Also, jumping out into drop zone and fairing is really nice too. Docs are usually looking to get the down B going to give them more vertical distance so a single sword swipe to the face will get them freaking out. His cape will **** your recovery if you don't sweet spot so make sure you do that in this match up. You really want to abuse your fair a lot in this match up and aggressively camp. You want to make Doc move to where you want him to go so you can start something up and get his camping game off balance. Your fair pretty much ***** all his aerials but do look out for his bair when you are trying to recover. A lot of Docs like to ledge hop, jump out and then bair you if recovering low so do look out for that as well.

Most used:

fade away FAIR (spam)
nair (for covering rolls or if hes wayyyy to close to you)
f tilt
u tilt
uair

Mewtwoking

lol, just do air attacks vs doc (and CC when he hits you), and he won't hit you with CC down smash and your aerial attacks will just beat pills w/out lagging
Useful Links

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fTGOx2DDJc&feature=channel_page

This match is not the ideal match to watch to learn the match up but it gives you a great idea of how you should go about spacing in the match up. Tani is one of my top three favorite Marths (his Marth is soooooo pretty....fade away nairs=Too Good.) In the match you will also notice that any time Tani decides to go for a grab and misses......he gets *****. Marth should try to fair first, grab second in this match up. If Marth misses a grab Doc can start his own crap against him. Fairing and u tilting is too good in this match up. U air is extremely useful as well. <3 Tani.

Donkey Kong

Time to deal with the ape from SNES. Donkey Kong has one of the worst shields in the game...hence, why hes not a high tier character. Donley Kong packs a great offense though and with good spacing, a nice cargo throw, and a nice fsmash or two he can take you out. Luckily in your case Marth is the best at spacing, poking shields, and ****** defensive players. Your main concern should be to avoid his bair. His bair actually out ranges your fair (your best aerial) so it can be difficult in spacing with him. I find that sweet spotted nairs work wonders in this match because they often destroy his shield and poke him. Don't abuse this though mix up your throws, fairs, and nairs. Stages like Battlefield, Yoshis Story, Pokemon Stadium, Dreamland, (although YOUR WORST STAGE) are useful against DK. The main reason being the platforms are absolutely horrible for DK. DK has little to no options when he is above you because his dair comes out REALLY SLOW. along with his fair. Keep DK above you throughout the whole match and use u throw, f throw, and d throw. (f and d throw near ledges) His recovery is easily gimped or D/F tilted to an edge hog so you don't need to whip out a fsmash to keep him off. Marths edge game is so stupid that tilts get the job done. When dealing with DK just make your edge game extremely simple and efficient. Avoid trying to kill him vertically because due to his weight he will live long. Rely on horizontal kills and gimps. His defense sucks, so keep the pressure up and mix your game up.

Most used:

d tilt
nair
uthrow
utilt

P. O. F. 's Pre Spacey Section Chain Grab Guide.

Alright, I've been fooling around with the space animals lately and I've also talked to Cort, Swiftbass, M2K, watched plenty of chain grabbing matches (VS Shiz at ROM, PC at Evo, Cort VS Moon Doggie, Ken, etc) and I've learned a great deal of how exactly to go about chain grabbing.

Fox: First off, Fox is easier....by far. He falls fast like he should be doing throughout the entire CG and your speed of grabbing does not have to change until the u tilt re grab. You can start u throwing fox right from 0 so you don't need to worry about what % to start it from. Now, you want keep u throwing fox until he reaches around 27-31%. Basically, you want to get anyone of those numbers while Fox is in your hands. From this point you u throw again and u tilt. From here you regrab him. Now that the u tilt regrab is done you can u throw him again and now follow to u tilt either into f smash or keep utilting, uairing, etc. I recommend doing a single u tilt after the regrab and then following w a fsmash to keep it simple. If you keep trying to play with them and do uairs, fairs, and other things you might mess it up and end up losing a chance at getting a stock.

Take a look at this match for example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxGS...3B7F07D9&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=31

Here, you see M2K VS PC Chris and M2K obviously tries to CG PC often and get the quick kill. Pay close attention to Pc's % and what M2K tries to do at those percents. There were at least a good 2 times where he tried to do more than just f smash after the u tilt re grab. Had he just done 1-2 u tilts to fsmash after the re grab it would have put him in an edge guard position and taken PC's stock with much more ease. Try not do be too fancy and just get the job done.

What I just said in a quick breakdown with Fox:

* uthrow until you get somewhere between 27-31% from here, u tilt and then regrab them.
*from there uthrow to u tilt to fsmash or do other things.

Note: The more you fool around with them after the regrab it gets more risky because just u tilt to fsmash is generally easier and leads to a tipper most times. However, if you can play with them and build more damage onstage it becomes MUCH easier to edge guard them when they are off because most of the time a simple f smash or Neu B will end it.

u tilt in the low-mid 40's after the re grab
uair around 60-67%
Make sure you finish him off before 80%...it gets difficult from here on to kill Fox w CG.

Falco: Falco in my opinion is much more difficult to successful chain grab in one shot because its a bit more difficult and takes a couple of more steps. On top of that, the pace at which you grab him is different than Fox...its slower. Some people love this, it bothers me because I fight waaaayyy more Fox's than Falcos. You cannot CG Falco at 0% because if he DI's behind you you can't do anything, at all except for tech chase him. At 0% you want to either f throw to fthrow to regrab him and from there start the process or d throw tech chase him and then begin. It's safe to start CGing Falco at around 10-13%. Basically, Falcos re grab is around around 37-41% (ten % up from Fox's re grab) and you can uair around 70-75%. I HIGHLY recommend not uairing Falco too much because edge guarding him is a good 3X easier than Fox and your main focus should be to take advantage of his weakness and make sure he is off fast.

Basically, just add % to everything you do with Fox.

Falco

I used to really enjoy this match up but as of lately, it's been getting difficult because Falcos are really good at taking care of Marths. The big key in this match up is to get around his "pew pew" and then **** him. The thing is, getting around lasers is VERY VERY difficult. Lets go over a few options against particular Falcos.

Aggressive Falco:

-Counter
-UpB OOS (higher percents to be sure they go far enough away for you to recover from 84 frames of lag)
-Fair/nair OOS
-Retreating fair and ledge wavedashes

Defensive Falco:

Dash Attack (You can sometimes go underneath the lasers, its useful)
Aerial fair approach (space carefully)
dash canceled d tilt (similar to dash attack)
waveshielding towards them

Power Shielding works for both types of Falcos. It ****s them up so hard. I usually get a PS when I'm running toward a Falco and then quickly shield for some reason. Why? No idea. lol. I'm weird.

You really want to study your opponents laser game and how they are putting you in tough spots....and then react/predict them. Every Falco has their own unique laser game. When you're inside and you get past his lasers you really want to abuse your u, d, and f throw (depending on where they are.) If they are near the ledge, obviously get them off. If they are in the middle of the stage use u throw and do utilt, uair, bullcrap to them and make sure they get off the stage no later than 70%. You can go the route of doing CG balogni to around 90% but Falcos recovery is easy to gimp as Marth. Don't keep him onstage any longer than you need to. If the Falco is GOOD (I don't mean pretty good) at sweet spotting the ledge when he upb's FORCE yourself to go down and hit him. I don't care if hes on FD directly under the stage and hes not in front of you at a 45 degree angle. Go down and bair, side b, or do whatever to get him in a tough spot. If Falco gets back on stage I personally consider this GAME and you've already lost. Don't mess up when hes off. Remeber this: Falco is much more nervous at getting back than you are of getting the kill. :) nair to grab at low percents is pretty amazing if they are spot dodge trigger happy.

Falco is pressuring your shield:

Roll away (Rolling in might work too but rolling away has less lag and is faster)
fair OOS
upB OOS (higher percents)
waveshield back to fsmash
if you can, try counter? Not your most reliable option.

Counter is beyond underrated in this match up. Don't be afraid to use it every now and then...but don't overuse it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw8S35JN6Uc LOL. If the Falco is stupid aggressive all the time. Do it. Change their style up to suit your style.

Good Stages to fight Falco:

Final Destination (Chain grabbing)
Yoshis Story (Obvious)
Battlfield (They get gayed by the stage often)

Most used:

nair
f, d, u throw
u tilt
jab (edge guarding illusion)
counter (firefox)
fsmash (for use in CGing...dont throw these around on stage)

Emblem Lords "Getting Past Falcos Lasers Guide"

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=102497

Mewtwoking's Chain Throw Data

for up tilt vs Falco
0-42 Forward DI
not sure for the no DI thing (unrelated thing see the Fox note above) I think it's like 30 something + but again this isn't exactly related to the "don't need to move" thing but more like a "don't need to move until it knocks them over on the ground instead of just completely missing" type of thing
0-54 back DI

up throw tipper F smash works on Fox at like low mid 40s + IIRC, and lasts up to as long as like 80% or so maybe even 90 if you don't DI. The easiest average % you are looking for vs Fox is 60%, although it works before and after that by about 15/20% obviously. Up throw take a baby step forward and then if they don't DI you reverse tipper F smash, then C stick if they decide to DI the up throw. The more you do this the better you will get at the timing and understanding, I just gave you a basic guideline. Falco is similar but add the %s a little higher by like 5 or 10% prolly closer to 5 (that's just a random guess) and there you have it.

Also you see my vid vs Shiz where I tried to do up throw Fair to Bair to F throw to Dair (that works I tested it on computers but I know a human would DI in the F throw lol, or I could just F smash tipper) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW-diM94E8A&feature=channel_page at 1:02 it begins. Well, I made that up recently but my mistake was wavedashing before the grab - I should have just done a dash grab then F throw dair (or F throw F smash or F Throw down tilt to edge hog then bair).

ANOTHER Mistake at that vid at that same time is after he did the tech roll, I could have gotten him with a dash JC grab behind me before he would be able to shine or dodge, but I suck and got stuck in my turning around animation :(
you can't up throw Falco at 0% if he DIs behind you. He will always land. On the flip side if he DIs forward you can get him at 0% with a standing regrab, but it's the opposite for Marth's forward throw. F Throw regrab works if he DIs in but with away DI Falco can escape. Lol it's kind of a guessing game. I usually down throw at 0, or whatever direction the edge is, then down tilt it.

with no DI they can't escape till like 80%+ lol. Probably more. Once they get to like 70% + just do SH uair a few times. At like 90 do up throw (let them DI) then go for Fair + Dair (if they are smart they will not DI the Fair or DI away)

also near the edge down throw to dash-off-stage Dair actually combos at mid/high % if they DI in xD

Cactuar

Haha. My strats for approaching vs lasers and the necessary tech skills required are all over the boards.

See: Section 3: Advanced Laser Theory in Mogwai's Falco Guide. (http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=203781)

Powershielding is optional.
Wavedash out of shield is super necessary.
SDIing lasers is silly and completely unnecessary, but fun to do and useful if you are adept at it.
^^^ His laser theory is amazing and I personally, follow this. Stay at this range throughout a good 90% of the match up and space well and you should be fine.

Arcnatural
Falco:

Learning to sh into lasers and fair or airdodge after getting hit by a laser I think is also pretty critical to learn. This helps giving you another option other than just wavedash OoS, also shffl upair OoS ***** double jump falcos. Honestly most of my Falco game is based on Cactuar's advice and just learning to get really good at wavedashing OoS, learn to wavedash OoS after lasers and after shines. One tricky thing though is if you want to wavedash OoS to Fsmash you typically need to shorten the wavedash or you'll miss.

[COLOR="Magenta"
SIZE="4"]Cort[/SIZE][/COLOR]

I jab if they try to illusion through me and dtilt if they try to go for the ledge
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=3735231&postcount=1501
(The bottom) Note: This is also located in the Fox section.

Useful Links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qna80MbcAAc&feature=channel_page

An amazing video. Clearly shows how gay Marth can be against Falco. Falco gets ***** off stage as long as you make good decisions. Look at how M2K goes for the quick gimp at the last stock and absolutely ***** DaShiz on his last stock. (Shiz is too good though, <3 hands down....the best Falco in the world currently.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXWfubQPwB4&feature=channel_page

Wow, my favorite smash brothers match of all time. I'm not kidding, I don't care how bandwagon that is....that match is ****ing epic. Anyway, take a look here at how Shiz is comboing the crap out of M2K on his last three stocks......Falco can punish you for your mistakes. Also note on 1:50 how M2K tries to take the initiative and pre-predict where DaShiz was going to go. If he had waited...he probably could have gotten the gimp earlier. Falcos illusion is really fast...but not THAT fast. Wait for Falco to make the first move when hes recovering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qna80MbcAAc&feature=related (Chain Grabbing, second to last stock)

Combo Videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY6U...3E5AB682&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=43 Aces and Eights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tjU7Rb6rQ0&feature=fvw Happy Feet by Zhu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjKWs7IMdPQ&feature=related Happy Feet 2 by Zhu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q9fL2kMHYk&feature=related Happy Feet 3 by Zhu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7DHr7C_U8A Happy Feet 4 by Zhu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBdqQ93o42I&feature=PlayList&p=59807436369A592B&index=5 Forward B by Forward

Fox

This is Marths second hardest match up in the entire game, without a doubt. Fox is a pain in the *** and can run laps around you and KO within seconds if you are not spacing right. Pay attention and read up on this match up. You will be running into Fox's all the time. Learn the chain throws, learn percentages what is effective, etc. Fox is annoying.

When you hear "Ready.......go!" there are a couple of things that work nicely. One being start spacing fairs and defending if you think you're playing an aggressive player OR get that grab as soon as possible and take control. The grab is the most important thing in this match up. Fox can grab-u air...uair....uair...uair and **** you in the air while you on the other hand can chain throw him :) Marth has a beautiful edge game against him and believe it or not...Fox's is not so bad either. You can actually Smash DI Fox's Uair which is really essential and will limit Fox's offensive pressure on you if you can do it sometimes.

How to do that:

Lets say Fox grabs you and throws you up in the air and is on the FAR RIGHT of the screen facing to the LEFT SIDE of the screen. When he grabs you and throws you up DI to the LEFT. (away from Fox) Fox's uair has two hits. JUST AFTER his FIRST FOOT HITS YOU DI TOWARDS THE FOX and his second foot will hit like a tippered Roy jab. :) Getting this timing down is extremely difficult but if a Fox sees you getting this down a decent amount of time they will follow up with a bair as opposed to an uair. So basically, DI away from the Fox FIRST and then DI towards the Fox after his first foot hits you. Cheers.

Your spacing in this match up is SOOOOOO IMPORTANT. I recommend NEVER approaching with nairs and strictly stick to moves with RANGE (uair, fair, and bair are your most effective moves) You need to look out for traps that will make the Fox lure you into either a nair (its one of the most ******** moves in the games) or a drill to shine to u throw combo that can put the pressure on you. You also need to mix up your recovery so Fox can not predict you and shine spike you every time. Mix it up! D tilts, jabs, and a SINGLE forward B are excellent character resets in this match that can stop a Fox's momentum. I find that being the aggressive player in this match up is more effective than being the camper (but some marths like to camp....do what works for you!) because any Fox knows that if they go off the stage Vs Marth that they have a good chance of not making it back. This match up is REALLY HARD. It's very difficult to explain this match up because Fox can basically be played in over 10-15 different styles. Some Fox's camp, some are aggressive, some are excellent at shining, some are amazing at grabbing, it's tough to explain. Watch videos and learn. :)

Most used:

d tilt (on stage)
GRAB u, d, or f.
jab (edge guarding illusion)
counter (edge guarding firefox)
u tilt
fsmash (only use off of grabs from u throw)

Watch these to help your edge guarding vs spacies- - -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qna80MbcAAc&feature=channel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtAVvtbrwtE

Useful moves at particular percentages that are useful

100%-130%: Side B is actually pretty useful as the third hit (neu side B swipe) can KO Fox and it cannot be crouch canceled. You can also u throw to non tipper uair to fsmash for a nice finisher.

0%-30%: Chain Throwing. :) Learn it. Go into VS mode and practice on lvl 4 computer players to get a BASIC idea of how to do this effectively. Make sure you also read M2K's chain throw data.

40 something %-60%: U tilts that lead into either grab reset or fsmash are perfect for this percent.

70%-80%: Tippered u airs after the u throw grab can lead into fairs, f tilts, or anything that is useful in the situation

Mewtwoking's Chain Throw Data

These are the %s you don't have to move to do CGs with Marth vs Fox
0-16 Forward DI (sometimes 16 will miss though, but I think usually you will get them)
0-20 no DI (sometimes you will get them at 20 or 21 or so but the soonest you can miss is 20)
0-28 back DI

for up tilt vs Fox without needing to move
0-35 Forward DI (sometimes you will miss at 35 though, I've even had phantom hit bull**** before, but after 35 you need to walk forward no matter what. I think walk forward up tilt works to like 50 something?)
no DI the lowest you can up throw up tilt to knock them UP is like 23 I think that's unrelated though kinda, although honestly I usually do it at about 27/28+ (by the way vs Fox I usually do reverse up tilt because it seems better and it's harder to DI out of assuming they don't DI because you can still dash grab them even if they DI it, while if you did normal up tilt after not DIing up throw all the Fox has to do is DI behind Marth and he can land and tech before Marth can grab him)
0-50 back DI
Cactuar

Corneria ruins chaingrabbing in most cases. The ceiling is low. The stage is huge horizontally. It messes with Marth's ground attacks by angling his body. He gets gayed hard in the lower area. Etc.

Marth is generally just not as good on counterpick stages. He just dominates on neutrals.
(Applies for Falco as well)

Arcnatural

Fox:

Everyone knows this matchup, everyone also knows (or should know) the typical strats involved. Marth tries to dash dance camp, Fox tries to breach the dash dance or laser camp to force the approach.

The typical strategies for Fox to counter dash dance camping is to predict the dance length and just keep going with a dash canceled shine approach or shffl so that it reaches the end of the dash dance or to laser camp. And Marth just tries to adjust to keep trying to grab.

There is a whole set of strategies here that can help you understand better how this works, and how you can control it better. I've complained about wasted dash dancing before and here is one of the reasons. If you dash dance away trying to grab, and Fox runs past that initial point of your dash it's pretty clear they are predicting that your going to dash away. What I typically do in this case is just pivot grab immediately while ccing into another grab. There are a bunch of things you can do actually, but the point is to make sure you know when they are going past that point and think of ways to stop it. This covers if they were trying to keep running to grab you, or if they shffl after passing that point.

This also works if you shffl fair dash away, if you see them dash after you just pivot grab. This should help you net a few grabs you probably never knew that you could get. I just feel this is somewhat unknown in the Marth vs Fox matchup it seems that after the dash away a lot of players just go through the motions of what they are doing rather than reacting based on the opponent.

Also if you don't space you grabs so you can't get shined if you missed, your doing it wrong (applies to Falco too).

Cort

I jab if they try to illusion through me and dtilt if they try to go for the ledge

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=3735231&postcount=1501

(The bottom, this is also above in the Falco section.)

Useful Links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM4oY_MV2Zo&NR=1&feature=fvwp (Chain Grabbing)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxGS...3B7F07D9&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=31 (Chain Grabbing)

P. O. F.

Smash Ace

Game and Watch

Odds: 90/10

Game and Watch has the worst defense in the game, period. Go **** him. Have a good time. The only problem is where he lacks in defense....he makes up for on offense. Game and Watch packs a pretty nice aerial game and a fairly decent edge guarding game. Other than those two aspects....Game and Watch is really simple to fight. His fair and nair have an insane hit box and his d tilt is amazing too. (Watch out for it on edge guards) You should have no trouble gimping a GAW at all though. He has one of the best vertical recoveries in the game but its easily punished with a nice fsmash or well timed dair via ledge hop or on stage. I find that well spaced nairs work wonders when a GAW is shielding because most of the time, you will shield poke him and he'll be sent flying. fairs work nicely too but most of the time you won't really have an ability to combo him because hes one of the lightest in the game and will be sent far with nearly every tipper that you do. Just get him off the stage quickly and fsmash or dair him to his death. If you come across a GAW who knows how to sweet spot run off the stage and bair him against the stage and then you win. Don't let GAW get inside of your sword and you should be fine.

Most Used:

d tilt (destroys shield)
nair (destroys his shield)
uthrow (follow this whatever you like...preferably nair or fair)
utilt (you can KO him with this at like 90% I think) LOL

Ganondorf

Odds: 55/45 or 60/40

Ganondorf is another one of Marths more difficult match ups. He still has an advantage here, but only slightly. Ganondorf is pretty good against Marth on stage, has a decent edge game against him, and he can KO him and combo him fast and efficiently as well. Ganondorfs fair has the same range and pretty much the same priority as your fair so this match up really just boils down to spacing. You can combo him nicely with u tilts to whatever but if you miss space, ganon will punish you with a bair, fair, or whatever for serious knockback. Approaching with fair is always great and do try to use your grab game efficiently in this match up too. Edge guarding him is easier than Captain Falcon IMO because his recovery is much slower and easier to intercept. The only difference is that Ganon lives longer due to his fall speed. With this, it gives him more time to use his DownB and get his second jump back. Sometimes Ganon can even down B twice to get really low and THEN get his second jump back. Ganon can definitely punish you from a grab (but his grab range is pretty weak) by doing down throw to whatever so make sure you don't get grabbed. (No different than any match up really) A reverse u air can also hit you down pretty low while you are recovering...so what out for that. I look at this match up like this: His moves all take a long time to come out with the exception of his bair so always make sure you are up in his face and mixing it up. Marth should be able to control the center of the stage in this match as long as you provide a good mix-up game and edge guard Ganondorf just as you would Falcon. The d/f throw to d tilts, spikes, run out to dropzone and fair, simple f tilt, jab to fsmash, etc. all work well. Keep your edge game simple. D and f throw tech chases are also wonderful against him as well because he has a pretty slow get up. In terms of stage selection that is a little weird. I find Dreamland 64 is actually a good choice here because Ganon relies on quick kills and you rely on gimps in the match up. You can easily gimp him here just as easy as any other stage but it takes Ganon a while to kill you here. FD your favor because u throw to u tilt or bait the jump BS, fod is good, yoshis is coin toss, Pokemon Stadium is nice, and BF is good too. Basically, I'm not a fan of Yoshis here because he can be just as gay to you as you can be to him.

Most Used:

bair (edge guarding...its fun!)
d tilt (edge guarding)
f, u, d throw
f tilt

Combo Videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDs-lPmIUec Triforce of Power by Tipman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2V0ybV52z4 Crouching Tiger Hidden Gauntlet

Ice Climbers

D tilt and fair. They are your best friends in this match up. Space these well and Ice Climbers cannot touch you! If you get grabbed, DI forward because if you DI away....they can throw **** you. Ice Climbers are insanely powerful (to the likes of Bowser and DK) if they are together.....separate them. Don't try to grab the Ice Climbers unless you are 100% sure you can get it off. Stick to spacing your fairs and d tilt. U throw is the best throw to use against them and make sure you follow up with u tilts, fairs, and u airs to rack up the damage and to keep them separated. Try to make your main focus to kill Popo (whatever the hell is the one your opponent is controlling, LOL) and if Nana gets in your way.....f tilt or knock her away quickly. Some people are comfortable going after Nana first and THEN dealing with Popo. Some people like to do the direct opposite...find what works for you. Look out for down b to wave dash to....whatever they want. Good Ic's use this a lot to hone in on Marth and try to out space him. Wave dash to Dsmash also is REALLY good and REALLY fast too. Don't use your grab game much here, keep them up in the air and off balance, find what icey you look to **** first more, and be patient while edge guarding them to predict there side B...it's deceptive. Overall, you should be winning here.

Most Used:

FAIR
d tilt
jab
f tilt
Fsmash (****** popo!)
Literally, you should only be using THESE MOVES in this match up. Nothing else.

Arcnatural

Just watch how they react to fair camping.

Typically fair to dtilt, fair to jab, fair to dancing blade all work to prevent wavedash OoS, it's just a matter of staying unpredictable so they can't grab you.

I just wiggle fast from icey grabs, they can't really infinite you unless it's a wobble and you can jump out of most of the other stuff.

Platform stages are good, because while yes they have upair and bair, Iceys are in much more trouble than you are if they are on the platform.

Learn to roll or upb jab to grab combos from iceys if they like to do that OoS.
Jigglypuff

Odds: 60/40

Marth is said to be one of her worst match ups because she can not get inside of Marths sword. While this is true to the utmost, IF she gets inside Marth, she can **** the mother****ing crap out of him due to his floatiness. Don't let this happen. Fairs, bairs, uairs, and actually a single side B swipe are your friends in this match up. Grabbing jigs can be either your WORST NIGHTMARE (she can duck it and then follow up with a rest to kill you!) or your BEST FRIEND. Getting a lead in this match is extremely important because than you really from that point on have NO NEED to approach. All you should be doing is camping well spaced fairs. There is really no need to approach jigs....ever. This match is all about zoning and baiting the jigs into having her where you want her to be and baiting her. Often you can either d throw to fsmash or f throw to fairs or wavedash forward to fsmash. You want to focus on keeping jigs in front of you at ALL TIMES and spacing your fairs nicely. Don't let Jigglypuff get inside of you or she'll combo your *** to hell. She can u tilt to rest, wall of pain you easily, edge guard you well, and combo you nicely too. A single side B swipe to u tilt is AMAZING in this match up...use it. Don't ABUSE it...but its an amazing surprise every now and then for jigs at high percents because it is highly capable of getting the kill. ALL of your tilts are extremely useful in this match up. Your u tilt will kill her at around 90-100% on most stages, your f tilt is a beautiful option to space, and your d tilt is nice if the Jigglypuff is recovering low and has trouble sweet spotting the ledge. (most Jigs do) In terms of your aerials you want to use bair, uair, and fair the most. Don't use nair often but it is nice to throw in every now and then. It works nice if she is shielding or is at high percent. The same applies for bair. Use it sparringly but mainly for edge guards when shes up high. Use fair, and uair to rack up damage and try to use bair and nair to go for the kills. F smash is always beautiful but make sure you won't get punished if you miss. ;) Surprisingly, f tilt can sometimes get the kill.

Most Used:

FAIR
BAIR
F tilt
D tilt (if they are coming from below the stage)
side b (use the first hit to follow with an U tilt...its so good and no one ever expects it)
LIMIT YOUR GRABS!!!!!

Useful Links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f53aeimv8I0&feature=related

Although M2K loses the match, you can get a great idea of what you should be doing in terms of when to use what attacks and spacing from this match. It also shows you how good Jigs is at gimping Marth and just how quickly momentum can change in the match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaZxz1YhuA0&feature=related

Generally, the same idea here.

Kirby

In my opinion, Kirby is the worst character in Melee. Often people argue whether or not it's Pichu, Ness, or Kirby. My vote goes to Kirby. He has no combos, no good throws, no tech chase, a PREDITABLE recovery, (Pichu can at least do a little to help itself get back...) and really has a weak approach (Ness has his beautiful fair and is somewhat technical as well.)

This match up should be simple, but once again...never be over confident in any match up in competitive play. The only thing you should be afraid of in this match up is Kirbys ability to edge guard you with/and his bair. A Kirby should not be uairing, fairing, or doing anything else to you....at all. You out space him, have better grabs, better smashes, better aerials, better stages to choose from, and better everything. Just don't let Kirby ever get inside of your sword and you will be fine. The only aspect of this match up that MIGHT be a problem is recovering. Due to the fact that Kirby is so floaty he can go out and chase you and hit you. Just imagine you are playing a weaker, less effective Jigglypuff. He can go into drop zone and attempt to throw off your recovery. Keep your sword out in front when he gets close, space well, and this match up should not give you any trouble. If it does, quit this game.
Note:The only Kirby that is ACCEPTABLE IN THE SLIGHTEST WAY TO LOSE TO IS PC Chris. LOL. I played it, it scares me!

(I don't think Cactuar, Mewtwoking, Emblem Lord, or Cort have any advice for this match up. They shouldn't. haha)

Most Used:

FAIR (camp this properly and Kirby should never have a chance to touch you.)
FSMASH
U tilt
nair

Link

Despite what people may say about this match up, Link is a pain in the ***. His attacks and range don't match up to yours but it's his ability to throw your game off with three different projectiles that can piss a Marth player off. Marth sucks at dealing with projectiles (lasers, boomerangs, bombs, needles, etc) but you need to be patient in the match up and pick your spots. I find that for this match up you want to be close to Link but not too close. watch out for his nair and try to utilize a solid grab game against him to get him tangled up. U throw works nice on him (but watch out for dairs at early percents after the throw) because you can often string u tilts and chase him with fairs. You never want to give Link space because this gives him the ability to start using projectiles and camp. You want to bait the Link player into doing an attack and then once he attacks you...punish. Either that or you could go with the stay far away....make him throw projectiles and junk and rush in and punish. I find the first one mentioned, is much safer and easier to do. Edge guarding Link is also a complete joke. If he upB's you and does NOT hook shot counter works wonders. A crouch canceled d tilt also works nicely against him as well because Link will continuously hit you through his up B and you can just be like "LOL, d tilt!" and then once he goes off run out and fair him and then game over.

Most Used:

uthrow
u tilt
d tilt (crouch cancel his upb while he recovers and punish him)

Amazing Counter Picks VS Link-

Mute City
DK 64
Rainbow Cruise
Poke Floats

Why? No Hookshot! haha. Marth may not be dominant on any of these levels but these levels allow for easy edge guarding. Since Marth is better on stage than Link....game over.

Cactuar
I think I covered this once before, but basically, Link is all about projectile spam into moves. Know how to deal with each projectile accordingly. Arrows: Either hit the arrow and cancel it or avoid it. Boomerangs: This is their biggest weakness projectile IMO. You want them to be throwing this. So you can hit it, then punish them. Bombs: Their best projectile IMO, avoid it. Pressure when they hole themselves up with a bomb by throwing it up.
Combo Videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNHiQ7EwJ8k It's A Long Shot By Skler

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
Luigi

Luigi is a really weird match up to go through. Edge guarding him is pretty awkward, he gets out of combos easily with his stupid nair, and hes decently heavy. The best throw to use in this match up is u throw. If you're lucky you might be able to do either a f smash or fair out of either a d or f throw but u throw is a good 10X more reliable here. At early percents after the u throw you wan to try to u tilt. If they jump out of it chase luigi and fair him but MAKE SURE YOU TIPPER IT. If you do not tip your aerials VS him he'll nair you and be like, "LOL, no one can combo me!" which is pretty true..... Spacing in this match up is extremely important especially at low percents. You can easily rack up a good 70-80% just by u throwing and doing stuff while hes above you. The most important thing here is to keep Luigi ABOVE YOU. In most cases Marth likes opponents in front and above him at all times but with Luigi you want him more so above you. If he is in front of you more thana bove there is a more likelihood that if you space wrong you'll get *****. His fair and nair are sometimes absolutely ********. Basically: If Luigi is in front of you while you do not tipper a fair below 80%...you'll probably eat a counter attack. Abuse uair, u tilt, and u throw in this match up. Since hes the FLOATIEST character in the game minus jigs....abuse your up attacks. On the ground work on getting grabs, f tilt, nair, fair, and sometimes d tilt. When edge guarding if luigi side B's while he is alligned with you or higher DO NOT attempt anything stupid and be defensive. You never know when his stupid 1/8 super side B balogni is going to come up. If he is BELOW the stage when side Bing...be much more aggressive with your edge game. Basically, if the Luigi player can spam down B and recover....you know you're playing a Luigi who knows how to recover and play well. If he doesn't...this match up should not be too bad as long as you keep Luigi above you as much as possible and react from how he recovers to the ground.

Most Used:

u throw
fair (camp it and ALWAYS tipper)
bair

Mario

Finally going to do Mario. LOL. This is Marios worst match up...if not his worst. U throw is your friend in this match just as much as it is VS luigi. U throw to utilt/uair works nicely and edge guarding him really isn't that bad because the Mario will do one of two things. A-get in the habit of using his down B to delay his recovery and stay out there longer or B-get back as quickly as possible. Find out what the mario likes to do more and **** it. D tilt for edge guarding in this match up is extremely important followed by either a run off fair or fsmash. Try to do the d tilt first to put them in a bad situation and get them uncomfortable. On stage you want to grab but don't spam it to no end. Camping fairs should be just fine and nairs to punishing him if he gets too close. Mario is pretty bad in the air and his best aerial vs you is his nair....shouldn't be hitting you. f and d throw are always nice at the ledge but I still prefer u throw all the time (at least until like 60%) so i can either fair **** them or if they try to di away...fsmash them off stage. Mario is a weird, stupid character that not too many of us play often. Don't stress this match up. Camp fair. Can't go wrong there. jab or f tilt his fireballs too. They shouldnt pose a problem for you.

Combo Videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grh__NblTvY&feature=PlayList&p=59807436369A592B&index=13 by Boss

Marth (ditto)

Odds: If you can't figure this out, you're dumb. lol.

This match up is stupid. Then again, its a mirror match/ditto so you can kind of expect that one, eh?

The main thing to remember in this match is to stay on the ground if Marth is on the ground or the Marth is stupid and is trying to approach you and use aerials on you. If they approach by means of aerials....Fsmash their ****ing face. lol. D tilt and f tilt are your friends in this match up. Try to get a grab at early percents because it really makes comboing yourself really easy. Two f throws to u throw always work nice. If the marth has no idea how to DI f throw follow the f throw with an fsmash near the ledge for ultimate ****. You really want to stay grounded and go for grabs, d tilt, and f tilt for the most part. Only when Marth is in hit stun in the air should you do aerials. Make sure at early percents you tipper EVERYTHING or else you'll be faired back. (a key reason as to why this match up is dumb) U tilt is really nice after the u throw if they dont jump out but if they do.... do fairs, uairs, and all that junk trying to keep marth in the air for a bit. Edge guarding Marth is REALLY easy once hes put into an UpB situation. D tilt and fsmash are all you really need to be honest. Other than that ledge hop bair is decent too but not as reliable. When Marth upBs and you him go "hah" than fsmash and you should be good for the kill/gimp. Remember that Marth can't sweetspot against another Marth because his swords hitbox extends below the stage. Yum. In the same sense though, RECOVERING VS another Marth IMO is the worst situation to be in in the entire game. Just mix up your recovery and your ledge options once you get it. Thats really the best I can tell you. Make them guess. Another key reason as to why marth dittos are dumb. Comboing is near impossible if you dont tipper everything (like samus) and edge guarding is broken and utterly ********. It really boils down to how good you are on stage.

Fool around on FD to get an idea of how to go about comboing yourself. lol. Thats how i learned. FD is a good place to learn Marth dittos. In tourney I highly recommend banning Yoshis Story...A lot of dumb crap happens there.....on both sides. I dont like chancing my luck to BS on a dumb ditto stage in tourney. I'd rather have Dreamland and deal with no combo ability....because at least I have enough room to space nicely and I won't have to deal w stupid auto tippers.

Most used:

CC stuff
d tilt
f u throw
fsmash (edge guarding)

Arcnatural
Marth:

CC ***** in this matchup, as well as edgeguarding. I find a lot of nifty shield work in this matchup works wonders. Even moving a quarter of a dash to shield is enough to ruin Marth's spacing.

I tend to recover well against other Marth's until they catch on to what I'm doing. Typically, Marths will space themselves so they don't get hit from the Upb and still hit you when you try to sweetspot. So I just worked on UpBing a bit from the stage to the Marth autograb. It doesn't sweetspot, but if you space yourself properly and Upb so your barely above the edge and tiny bit away from stage you can DI into grabbing the edge. That makes it so the Fsmash will miss, the only real way to counter it is to do something else, or to notice and walk forward and fsmash. Even then, if you know how to mix up between the horizontal upB and the vertical upB you can create a lot of options with this. I find doing the horizontal upB for this generally works the best, because no one expects you to space it to not sweetspot.
Cort

It is -NEARLY- impossible to sweet spot the ledge against another Marth that spaces a fsmash as soon as you up b. Here's why:

If the edge guarding Marth stays approximately tipper spaced from the ledge and waits for the sound of the others Marth's up b, he will 98% of the time successfully hit the recovering Marth with the fsmash. It's because the recovering Marth's up b hit box approaches the edge guarding Marth's leg just as you time the fsmash, and as soon as you fsmash Marth lifts up his body and leg and thrusts his sword forward, so he ends up DODGING the up b's hitbox and punishes the recovering Marth with an fsmash. Also, the fsmash hitbox reaches below the ledge by quite some distance, another reason it's -nearly- impossible to sweet spot an up b against another Marth.

The hit box of Marth's fsmash are 3 'oval' shaped boxes. The only time a recovering Marth can sweet spot is if his hand barely reaches the ledge in between the curvatures of the hitboxes (where they meet, they slightly pinch together)

The only other situation is if the recovering Marth is spaced from the ledge before up b'ing, in which case you should just respace yourself appropriately to make sure to nail him with an fsmash.

So, if a Marth is forced to up b to the ledge, his only option SHOULD be to get hit by an fsmash and attempt to tech (wall tech jump to instant back air works great, you end up regrabbing the ledge shortly after, wall tech to air dodge onto stage is okay, regular wall tech and attempt another up b also works but will just end up racking a lot of damage on you over and over)

I think I covered everything. >.>

Combo Videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omrJ7XgBYwU&feature=channel_page Kaze No Kizzu by Kizzu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4Cp8ftf74s&feature=channel_page I Am Robot by a fan (tribute to M2K)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMR5BJB4qME&feature=channel_page Wound Of The Wind by assorted Marth players
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoeDnbrkQq8&feature=channel_page The King of Smash by a fan (tribute to Ken.) My Favorite Combo Video of all time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5d__PzWcaE&feature=channel_page The Falchion Sword by Ken

Mewtwo

Wavedash to d tilt. That is all you really need to look out for in this match up. The only other annoying things about Mewtwo is his roll and his recovery is pretty good so he can be annoying to edge guard and tech chase. Don't u throw here unless he is literally below 10%....because he can easily get out of your combos easily with his angled upB. Stick to f and d throw because you can throw out fairs, and f smashes from these throws. If he gets to higher percent wavedash to f smash from d or f throw is pretty good. Mewtwo literally packs no form of offense against you. Just be patient while playing him and don't try stupid things. Learning his roll and where he techs is the most important thing here. His roll is pretty much as good as Sheiks IMO. Small levels are good against Mewtwo and hes horrible when hes on a platform.

Most used:

FAIR
BAIR
f and b throw

Combo Videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd1FFTsecW4&feature=PlayList&p=59807436369A592B&index=8 Shadowclaw by Taj
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHOerb2oIFE Shadowclaw II by Taj
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0cQJ_HkHE8 Shadowclaw III by Taj

Ness

Ness is pretty simple to fight....but not the easiest thing in the entire world. His fair, bair, and dash attack are all very good. Ness (for a low tier) has a very nice grab game as well. U throw to basically anything is extremely nice in this match up. Off the stage is where Ness gets *****. If the Ness can sweet spot you might have a little tougher time but most people have no idea how to sweet spot with Nerss. Dropzone fairs, ledge hop bairs and dairs, d tilt, and f smash all work great for edge guarding. On stage all you really need to look out for is fair and side b into grabs. Dash attack will come out occasionally and that will probably be followed up with a bair. Just really focus on grabbing him and u throwing him. Whats he going to do? Use his slow dair while you uair or fair him? Start with u airs and then try to combo him off the stage w fairs and then edge guard. Rinse and repeat and you win. When hes on a platform....just nair him and get him off so you can **** his horrible horizontal recovery. Any questions?

Most used:

uthrow
utilt
FAIR (comboing after u throw)
FSMASH or ftilt (for punishing that Ness that probably won't recover perfectly against you)

Combo Videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DicdPkokjWk Psikotic by The Shogun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzYHFh5mO_E Illuminati by Simna ibn Sind

Peach

Odds: 60/40

Before I begin to discuss Peach I would first and foremost like to point out that you DEFINITELY should check out the "Useful Links" section after my and other pro players advice. It's a beautiful in depth look at the match up written by I.B. It's good ****.

Anyway, Marth is one of Peach's worst match ups. Once you get Peach in the air you really want to make sure she does not touch the ground again. She really does not touch your uair, bair, or fair if you space properly. You combo her nuts off as long as you space well. On the ground d tilt is fantastic against her and really puts her in a tough spot. IMO its better than dash attack in the match up. From f throw mix it up between chased fairs, f smash, and dash attack. Look out for dsmash, dash attack, and turnips and this match is not tooooo difficult. Abuse your fair, f throw, u tilt, bair, and u air in this match up and don't let Peach get inside of you. Stay close to Peach where she can not be in a position to pull a turnip but don't be too far away so that she will begin to camp you and throw turnips. F throw to fair or f throw to wavedash to fsmash is your friend in this match. Abuse grabs against Peach and use your tech chase against her. (dthrow) Marth has a really good throw game against Peach with his d and f throw so abuse these. Mix up your opponents DI by mixing up both throws and follow up with spaced aerials. Peach is easy to edge guard if she is below or leveled with the stage but it becomes difficult and annoying if she is coming in from above because her parasol tricks can get annoying and throw off your fsmash or aerial. (Like Samus and Jiggs) If Peach is coming from below the stage fsmash, d tilt, or jab to fsmash works great. (jab to f smash is good because the jab will throw off the player and most of the time they will quickly upB and if you're at a good distance away from the ledge you can probably land a tipper fsmash when they rise.) D tilt is also good on stage VS Peach as long as it is spaced but make sure you look out for her d smash. Peach can't really do much against you/start anything unless you get hit by a turnip, are off stage, or you get knocked back by a dash attack or dsmash. Make sure you also crouch cancel her dash attack and follow up with a grab. Most Peaches will also try to throw a turnip down near the ledge to throw off the timing of your upB when recovering. I find that hugging the stage works great here. Slowing down your recovery with sideB just increases the chance for the Peach to edge hog you. Try to kill Peach before around 95% because after that it becomes insanely difficult to kill her.

Most Used:

f d throw
FAIR (comboing)
dash attack (follow up with this after f throw from 40% onward and proceeed to combo/****.)
d tilt

Useful Links:

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=6064678&postcount=3

A beautiful guide on the Peach match up. A must read. Also contains some useful information from Cactuar.

Cort

Battlefield isn't so bad either.

I suggest FD against Peach with Marth. He destroys her there extra hard.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace

Pichu

Pichu is arguably one of Marths easiest match ups. Uthrow, u tilt, f smash, fair, and bair are your best friends in this match up. Using nairs is pretty much a no here due to the size of Pichu. It makes it pretty hard to hit her unless its via a combo. U throw to utilts is amazing and racks the damage up insanely fast. If they jump out of the u throw react to it and begin fairing her as she comes down to the ground. Platforms are extremely nice in this match up because they allow for u tilts. You will find that in this match Pichu will die from a Fsmash at around 80-90% from pretty much anywhere on stage. Shes one of the lightest if not the lightest character in the game and she hurts herself. Pichu is forced to approach you in this match because Pichu won't camp you. LOL. She hurts herself when camps and against Marth she can't afford to add % to herself. Use bairs against her recovery when you are on the ledge. Pichu is either going to try to sweet spot the ledge or go onto the stage. Don't be afraid to go out after her into dropzone in this match. Her UpB can't hurt you that much. Just watch out for her u smash and you'll be fine. When edge guarding her as well dont be afraid to go to the VERY EDGe. Her recovery won't mess you up that much and if they miss time the sweet spot or ledge entirely...they will get *****.

Most Used:

Uthrow
u tilt
FAIR (comboing)
nair (comboing)
Fsmash
D tilt (if they go for ledge consistently)

Pikachu

Odds: 85/15

Pikachu has the same move set as Pichu except for the fact that pikas usmash is better, doesn't die as early, and his moves have minor different characteristics. He also does not hurt himself BUT he is a bigger target. Go about this match the same exact way but only its a little bit tougher because Pikachu has better offensive options. When edge guarding Pikachu don't be afraid to straight up go to the VERY EDGE of the ledge and f smash and do whatever you want because sometimes you can catch a pikachu on the first part of their recovery with an attack and its basically STOCK. Use your fairs and u tilts more so in this match up and basically follow the same rules as you would w Pichu. See above.

Most used:

See Pichu.

Roy

Roy is easily one of Marths easiest match ups. Your ground game, aerial game, and recovery are all better than his. I personally think Roy is underrated as a character (Hes probably my favorite low tier to play) but he still sucks. lol. Abuse u throw to u tilt in this match up. Roy gets absolutely demolished by Marths u throw combos. Treat him like a mix of a Marth and a REALLY REALLY scrubby Falco. Killing Roy horizontally is the way to go because his recovery is arguably one of the worst in the game. D tilt edge guards are incredibly stupidly amazing VS Roy. The only thing you really have to look out for in this match up is his third side B (CC that and grab him before he gets it off) and tech chases into F Smashes. Roys grab game is actually surprisingly good. He actually tech chases and throws just as well as Marth does. The only problem with this is that Roy has horrible follow ups from those grabs. Roy can only hurt you if you let him get inside.

I know I might get flamed for this but Roy is good. His recovery is crap. I can't defend him there. lol.

Most Used:

u throw!!!
u tilt!!!!
fair
d tilt (edge guarding...it ***** him so hard.)

dont use any other move...not kidding.

Samus

Samus is extremely annoying......if you play like a moron. You have to treat this match up as if you are playing a Jigglypuff or Peach....with annoying projectiles. You have to be EXTREMELY patient, pick your spots, and basically out camp the Samus. Samus really should be approaching YOU...you should not be approaching Samus. You can deflect all of her missilies and bull**** by simply jabbing or f tilting. If Samus charge shots........shield it. Use f throw if you want to try and throw her but you should be relying more on your fairs, bairs and basically ALL aerials in this match up. Try not to ever be ON TOP of Samus because you'll probably eat a crouch canceled d smash which most Samus's love. If the Samus is CCing your attacks....dair them to stop that. Space with your d tilt on the ground and your fairs in the air. Play a REALLY patient edge guard game. Once again, play it like your playing jigs or Peach. As SOON AS you knock Samus off try to instantly edge hog and start edge hopping so that the samus is either

A-Forced to go above you onto the stage or platform on the stage:In this scenario edge hop or roll onto the stage quickly and bair, fair, or fsmash her back off depending where she is

B-She'll bomb jump her *** near the ledge and try to tether recover onto the stage or Up B:In this case a bair works really well as it puts the Samus off balance and forces her to reset her bomb jump crap. Be patient between bomb jumps and act accordingly.

If the Samus is going to up B....get up to the stage and SPACE yourself for a tipper and try to pick off the upB with either a f tilt or fsmash (no d tilt because the samus can quickly tether recover if knocked down at that angle)

You also need to lookout for Samus's nair. This move will most likely make its way out on you if you don't space your fairs well. This move is probably one of the best nairs in the game. It has pretty good knockback and stays out longer than Links and Fox's I believe.

Most Used:

FAIR
Fsmash (edge guarding the UPB)
Bair
uair

once again, use nothing else.

Cactuar

Super spammy players, I just walk forward and tilt through their missiles until I am about 1 1/2 sword lengths away from them, and then start a pressure game on their spacing. This mostly involves very well spaced tipper fairs so that they can't CC dsmash or whatever to punish you. VS Hugs style samus (heavy ground game, very rarely go aerial) I will start using a lot of dtilt reacting to wavedashes, then dash backwards from the dtilt and pivot fair or empty jump to waveland. This frustrates even the most patient players, eventually giving me grab opportunities. When you fthrow/uthrow Samus, I don't really mean spam aerials. You have to get under her, slightly to the left or right. Uair does wonders, as does nair. I use center hit fairs to push if I'm near the middle of the stage, uairs at the lower percents after a fair to give them extended hit stun and pop them up closer to me. Samus is too floaty for uairs to do much at mid percents, so I'll tend to do shfairuair land nair to push them across a stage. If they are near the edge, just sh fair land fsmash and push them off. Abuse Marth's incredible ledgeguarding ability. I don't usually go off stage to gimp Samus unless their recovery is on a low horizontal path, but my on stage prevention of players getting back on from holding the ledge is much much better than most. Fighting samus is really just about getting her to the side. Don't worry about her recovering forever, as it just gives you more opportunities to rack up damage on them while they are in a very vulnerable position. Eventually, you are gonna land a tipper dtilt or something stupid on them while they are off stage and they will have that low horizontal recovery problem, so you can just edgehog and do off stage abuse to them. Is that a little more descriptive? :laugh: If you want me to elaborate on anything, feel free to ask more specific questions.

Mewtwoking

vs samus either F throw F smash, or, if ur near the edge, down throw into full jump bair (they usually jump into it) and go from there w/ fairs and stuff or w/e
Vs. Samus, just do Marth's Fair well. I've jv 5 stocked 3 different Samus's w/out gimps back in 2007, I think Marth ***** Samus really badly. What can she do, lol? CC down smash? That won't hit a good Fairing Marth. Be good with Fair, and Bair edge guard between Bomb recovery. That's all you really need.
if she missiles, just wait for her and jump over them repeatedly (really easy). It's a waiting game, if you really wanna **** samus that is. I know from experience, I've played Triad like 100 times in that match and he missile spams and I found just waiting is the best thing to do. You should only get hit like one time per stock if you play right.
ALL you do vs samus is space/camp fair intelligently (and Bair between her bomb recovery). If you do it right she can't ever down smash you. If she missile camps don't even approach her. Double jump around them. Stall the entire time. I almost jv 5 stocked triad by just doing this. Waiting game, but Marth waits better. You should never get hit by missiles unless you're being careless.

Arcnatural

It's all about proper spacing and when you get Samus in the air just try to keep her there.

This is one of the better matchups for spacing because if you don't tipper the fair you will get CC downsmashed/dtilted. Basically just stay extremely spaced don't shffl in close quarters unless you have too (if you think they will CC just try a late dair/upair). And go for fthrow/upthrow juggles. That's about it.

Sheik

Odds: 35/65

Sheik is Marths toughest match up, hands down. In my opinion among the top five characters in the game (Marth, Fox, Sheik, Falco, Peach) any matchup that these characters can have VS one another is nowhere near as bad as this match up. This is (right now) my least favorite match up in the entire game. It's stupid. LOL. Any time a good Sheik grabs you it's a guaranteed re grab, f tilt, fair, uair, or usmash followed by something else extremely gay. Sheik can combo marth at mid percents with a simple tilt followed by any aerial. It's dumb lol. How do you stop this? What can you do? Don't Get Grabbed. No, I'm definitely not kidding....don't get grabbed. You have more range and a better grab game then Sheik....use this to your advantage. U throw is really your best friend in this match up. U throw her...if she jumps before you can u tilt space fair or bair and start comboing her. If the Sheik does not jump u tilt, regrab, u tilt and do uairs and other fun stuff. Honestly, don't let Sheiks percentage exceed 90% or you are in some deep trouble. From here it gets insanely hard to kill her. When you are not edge guarding her DO NOT go towards the ledge. Sheik is gayer than Marth near the ledge in this match up. Only go to the ledge if you are edge guarding or currently have a strong wave of momentum going. Once again, Sheik is gayer than you in this match up at the ledge. D tilt is amazing against Sheik as long as it is sweet spotted. Don't CHALLENGE her in the air because her f tit will **** you and it's not worth it to exchance hits. Stay on the ground in this match up and only leave the ground if you are comboing her or she is above you. If the Sheik approaches from the air thats how you know you're playing a scrub Sheik. Use U tilt anytime they approach from the air and use uair and WELL SPACED fairs to keep her in the air to combo her off the stage. Picture fighting Sheik as a mixture of Captain Falcon (abuse of f throw and d throw to d tilt or f tilt near the ledge) and Fox,.(u throw to u tilt combo ability and ability to keep her up in the air) A nice useful edge guarding trick against Sheik is to everytime you get her off stage at a "fair" distance....meaning you can safely edge hog....edge hog! Once you are on the ledge this immediately takes away her option of getting on the ledge so shes forced onto the stage. If you're at low percent I recommend rolling up onto the stage and punishing with a fsmash or re grab. If you're at a higher percent a ledge hop to a back/reverse hit nair works beautifully too to keep the Sheik off in the same direction. If you hit her with the front part of your nair she'll either be placed somewhere on the stage or on the other side of the screen forcing you to re edge guard again completely. Try to keep her on the same side. Another useful edge guard is to edge hog and then fall into drop zone and use bair. Nine times out of 10 if this lands either tipped or not, she won't make it back. This move really has no other uses in the match up really, so just use it for the ledge hop drop zone gimp. Sheik is Marths hardest match up. There is no simple way to put this match up. Use d tilt effectively, space well, crouch cancel dash attacks to follow up with grabs, edge guard well. Crouch Canceling is also beyond amazing. CC to grab or d tilt is amazing. Sheik really does not have many options when going on the offensive and is pretty much limited to dash attack, grab, needle to aerial approach, and plain old needles. Not too many choices. :) Crouch Cancel often in this match up and play defensively.

Most Used:

CC BS
d tilt
u, d, f throw
u tilt
FSMASH (edge guarding/punishing her upB...use this after roll onto stage or ledge hop)
FAIR (comboing once u thrown)

Mewtwoking

up throw up tilt sheik usually around like ~10 to low 30s. After low 30s I just do Fair
Cort

Don't bother with up b unless it's guaranteed, for instance if they dash attack your shield and are at a high %, if you can combo into it with a fair to rejump reverse up b, or if you're feeling creative and want to gimp their recovery by running off the stage and reverse up b'ing them. If you reverse up b and miss, you're going to get punished. Hard. Sheik's grab combos are something you've gotta watch out for, and this matchup is more about not getting grabbed than anything else.

fsmash is far far more effective and safe. Just play safe and gay.
Smart Sheiks will generally attack the ledge half the time after being dthrown off.

This is where you simply approach the ledge and fsmash them as the dj slap/uair/whatnot. You should basically do this ~50% of the time after dthrowing sheik off, and mix it up accordingly depending if they fall for it or not.
Arcnatural

My main strategy with Sheik is staying extremely spaced and covering her roll behind you with a DI'd backwards shffl nair. When you start making them get caught in their shield and unable to roll you can start forcing bad situations for them.

CCing at low % is pretty much a necessity here. And never do anything stupid when Sheik is at a low %. If your not spaced just get away or try to aerial as late as possible (or dair). Dtilt and grab and extremely well spaced single fairs are your options at low %. If they are in the air you can do whatever you want, but if they are on the ground you need to be very smart. CC grabbing wrecks both Sheik and Marth in this matchup. I find whoever does it better in the matchup usually wins. This happens to be why Sheik has the advantage because she is a much better grounded character plus she has a projectile.

Edgeguarding Sheik smartly is a must. You must be good at wavelanding onto the stage to punish their upB onto the stage, you must be good at wavelanding or getting up to dthrow waveland fastfall to edgehog as well. Once your good at those two things is when you can really start to edgegaurd Sheik. You can dthrow wavedash edgehog a few times then just dthrow turn around dtilt or fsmash as they have become accustomed to what you were doing before. Or you can dthrow wavedash fastfall double jump dair. Running off shieldbreaker is also fairly good for edgegaurding Sheik and is grossly underused in this matchup. Because of her UpB starting lag and the Shieldbreakers sweeping motion you can catch them a lot with it. Especially if they think they are comfortable and out of range to do the angled down upB to sweetspot the edge.

That's all I can think of for now.
Combo Videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLhX-a5IaO0 Beating of HeLL by Hellsing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKro...43D2CAAF&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=41 The Glitch by Blue Bloodline

Yoshi

Odds: 85/15

Yoshi is one of the tougher low tier characters for Marth to face. Marths edge guard game takes a little bit of a beating because tilts, jab, and fairs really don't effect Yoshi much in the air unless you combo them into a dair. You have more priority, a better grab, faster, better aproaches and the usual. Due to Yoshis DJC and his "super armor" you really need to consistently hit Yoshi HARD with fsmash and u tilt. Use f smash while edge guarding and use your tilts only to space.....don't go on the offensive with these. Use your grab and try to keep him above you. F throw or u throw to fair spam works nicely too AS LONG AS YOU TIPPER. If you don't tipper Vs Yoshi......he's not going anywhere. Overall, Yoshis recovery sucks so hit him hard to keep him off stage and simply follow up with an edge hog. He only has two jumps and while recovering....one, with no upB. Yoshi does not have many effective tricks against you except for d smash. Watch out for this and you should be alright. Plus, there aren't too many Yoshis around. ;)

Most Used:

FSMASH
F TILT
U tilt
d tuilt
(Limit your fairs on stage....Super Armor BS)

Young Link

Picture Young Link being Link...but with a worse recovery, you having more ability to combo him, less grab range, and a less effective nair. That's Young Link. He's lighter, more easily knocked out, your u throw to u tilt combos destroy him, and if you space well.....you'll be just fine. Make sure you don't let him camp you (Marth hates projectiles) and you stay in his face and feed him tippered fairs. I find that nairs to grabs and dash canceled d tilts are extremely effective in this match up. You are floaty so YL can combo you with u airs, bairs, and dairs so be sure not to get grabbed and you should be ok.

Most used:

See Link

Zelda

Zelda is actually, deceptively good against Marth. I mean.....she sucks against him (LOL) but once Marth puts up his shield and starts spacing wrong...Zelda can pull out the offense. her bair and fair will be her main offense and her grabs setup pretty decently to set those moves up as well. Zeldas absolutely LOVE IT when a Marth shields....so umm...don't do it. You are much faster....just run away from her attacks. LOL. Her dsmash is the fastest in the game so do not ever be right on top of her unless you are going for a grab. (Picture it like fighting against a Peach or Falco....don't want to get caught up in a Falco shine/Peach dsmash) F throw is your best option VS Zelda because only at low percents can you mooch off of your u throw u tilt combos. Your best option is to treat her as a Samus, Peach, or Jigglypuff and follow up with fairs after grabs as opposed to u tilts, bairs, or d tilts. When edge guarding Zelda treat her as Sheik.....get on the ledge and then when she teleports time it right to land on the stage and either re grab her or tipper f smash her depending on her percentage. Zelda does not have a great approach against Marth but if you mess up...she CAN punish you and make you look stupid.

Most Used:

F, u throw
u tilt
d tilt
FSMASH for edge guards

Emblem Lord

Know your spacing. Be aware that her fairs and bairs out range your fairs. So knowing that, dont try to spam aerial appraoches. Try to stick to the ground a little more. Her grab is very slow. If you time it right you can grab her right after you do an aerial and it is shielded. Her shield grab can't beat your grab. Still, it's been awhile since I played a Zelda, can someone else confirm my last statement? Anyway, if you are too aggressive with your fairs or you rush in foolishly, you will get kicked. Alot. Play smart. Camp her with dashing dancing. Her projectile sucks so don't sorry about that. Approach her with d-tilts and JC grabs for the most part. If you whiff the d-tilt you should dash away, or roll away. If you shield a kick, then your actions will change depending on her spacing and her position in the air. If she did a kick at the peak of her short hop, if you try to shield grab, you will probably just eat another kick. Shield that second kick, then try to shield grab or JC SH double fair into a combo. When you grab throw forwards or backwards to mess with thier DI. Chase her with fairs after throws. That should be ok to start you off with. I would post more, but I gotta get ready for work.

Miggz

Pancake Sandwiches
Good idea.

This will indeed be a good source.

Although at the end of the day...preventing people from making threads asking for help is inevitable. =P

Havokbringer

Smash Lord
Good idea.

This will indeed be a good source.

Although at the end of the day...preventing people from making threads asking for help is inevitable. =P
Thats true but this way the mods will lock it after they tell them all the info they need is in this thread.

If its not then they need to ask one of the Question threads.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
it's probably a better idea to order it by the tier list, because the higher matchups are the ones that people would like first.

but good thread

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
**** this thread seems extremely useful instead of going through like all of Cactuar's advice thread. Good **** Garrett.

Habanero Pepper

Smash Apprentice
Wow this was put up on my B-Day. What a surprise. I'm glad to see someone is finally compiling all the data.

The big ones that need to be done for references IMO are Sheik, the Spacies, and Jiggz. Throw Peach somewhere in there.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Is the purple your advice or like a collection of your advice mixed with like what M2k/Cort/Cactuar said? You never specified.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Hmm.
__
Marth vs Doc.

The way I see the matchup, it works like this. As Marth, for 90% of the match, you only want to use 3 moves.

1) F.air
2) N.air
3) D.tilt

You want to use those 3 because they all are fast, high priority, safe (if spaced right), and the first 2 allow you to continue to be mobile.

Your main goal for the entire match is to just zone Doc out. You want to stay at your tip range doing nothing but safe attacks and keeping Doc out. With that being said, there are a few common mistakes that Marth makes during this matchup.

1) F.Smash
2) F.Tilt
3) Offensive Grabs

Now you look at that and you're wondering "How are those mistakes?" Anytime you throw a f.smash, it's not tipped, and it's blocked, Doc can punish with a d.smash or a grab (and mind you, he can combo and kill you from his grab). Anytime you F.tilt and it's blocked, Doc is allowed time to move in. He's not guarenteed anything (Maybe a f.tilt of his own), but he's allowed time needed to get past your best range.

And for the one that, imo, really kills marths in this. Offensive grabs. What I mean by that is when Marth actively looks to get in on Doc and grab. Now, in reality, if everytime you run in and try to get a grab you land it, then there actually isnt a problem. But you have to understand what actually happens in this process. What happens is that when you run in for a grab, you give up your clearly superior range advantage just to get immediate damage. Again, if you land every grab, that's perfectly fine; but for every time you do that and miss, you're probably standing in Doc's range, which gives him a chance. So in the grand scheme of things, it's in Marth's best interest to not go in looking for grabs.

Now read what I'm saying. I said it's in Marth's best interest not to go in looking for grabs (Offensive grabs). It is, however, a great idea to respond with grabs. If Doc manages to get in past tipper range, THAT'S when you look for a grab. At this point, Doc has somehow gotten past your range, so you're already looking to get out to your Tip range, but if you catch him asleep at the wheel with his shield up (or if Doc does something dumb and throws something laggy), that's when you're at liberty to grab him.

So, reading all this, I have it sounding like your goal is to just stay in tip range and never go in on Doc. "But that's too hard to do. I cant stay there ALL the time, I have to move somewhere." (I've had somebody tell me this before after explaining this to them and playing the matchup with them). The one thing you have to realize is that if Doc looks like he's about to get in or is in, your prime objective is to move out. You're not doing this specifically because Doc "dominates" you on the inside or anything (cause realistically he doesnt), but it's because by moving out you put yourself in so much of an advantagious position that it's comical.

Think about this.

At long range, Marth has absolutely nothing he can do to people other than move. (This is Marth's flaw). At long range, Doc can throw pills. Although they realistically should never hit Marth, they can force some sort of action that Doc wants.

At mid range, Marth dominates. At this point, Doc either cant land anything, or anything he tries will get him punished.

At close range, Marth and Doc can hit each other. Doc can land anything he chooses to do, but Marth really winds up in his "combo" range.

So if you're really looking to stay safe, you would rather move to where Doc cant really do anything (Long range) as opposed to trying to force some action where he can do something (Close Range).

__

That's pretty much everything I got on the basics of the Marth/Doc matchup (from a Doc player)

Binx

Smash Master
This is a fantastic idea, and since it's so early in its conception I'm gonna go ahead and direct you to my match up thread which is very neat and organized. Watch Out For - A section on moves your character has trouble with, so take Marth vs Falcon as an example I would use bullet points than tell you to be wary of his grab, his nair, and his knee. Don't - the section where I tell you what tactics to never/almost never use vs Falcon because there are either better options or its completely unsafe. Do - this section typically gives advice on the most effective tactics and edgeguards. vids is self explanatory. Tips is where i consolidate all those ugly bullet points into one indented post with the credit still at the top. I used to do italic notes as well giving my own thoughts on their advice but then I decided not to.

Obviously this is your thread and I don't expect you to use my format, just play around with it, try and make it uniform. At the very least though take those bullet points and consolidate them into one large post with credit given in some type of notation. Also make the names of the Characters section bold and larger I use size=3. This will seperate the post and make it much easier on the eyes. If you decide to incorporate bullet points then it would be wise to indent normal text just for looks.

Captain Falcon's Sexy Manliness

Watch Out For:
  • Manliness
Don't:
  • don't try to compete with the manliness, you can't, just try and be as cute as possible and hope you win with that
Do:
  • as I said above the most important thing is to be cute, desynch taunts and wacky stuff like blizzards, its the only way to show falcon your moves.
Vids:
  • sorry no vids, can't be helped.
Tips:
from Binx
Good Luck fellow IC mains.​

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7112063&
Obviously this is your thread and I don't expect you to use my format, just play around with it, try and make it uniform. At the very least though take those bullet points and consolidate them into one large post with credit given in some type of notation. Also make the names of the Characters section bold and larger I use size=3. This will seperate the post and make it much easier on the eyes. If you decide to incorporate bullet points then it would be wise to indent normal text just for looks.
Yeah, I'm definitely planning on tweaking the thread a little bit, setting up quick links to worth while posts made in this thread to make it quicker, etc. I'm now trying to get a moderator to re-open Emblem Lords thread so I can quote him, making it MUCH EASIER for me to grab his posts and paste them here.

So far though, Cactuars thread has much more useful information and he quotes the questions, making it 10X easier to locate everything. My next step is to do lower tier characters because it's much easier to discuss those match ups and will add bulk to the thread.

Binx

Smash Master
Below if words were striken out its where I would have deleted it entirely, where there are italics are things I would have added to the post to make it coherent.

From Cactuar

If they just spam nair and knee, you could just stand there and utilt.

No really though, I find myself hitting You can hit spammy Falcons with a lot of random dash attacks, which leads into Marth killing Falcon given the proper followups. Fair beats out knee easily, but I don't wouldn't really try to trade with nair. Just wait for them to land and hit them with something (grab, smash, tilt even...).

With VS Falcon, anything can be possible/awesome. (DI dependent)

I use a variety of different DI's vs Falcon to avoid becoming predictable.

Marth vs Falcon really just comes down to stage size and how willing the Falcon is to DD camp for grabs. Smaller stages are obviously worse for Falcon as he will always be closer to being off the stage, where he is almost always going to lose a stock vs a good Marth. If the Falcon can land the grabs, Marth shouldn't be a problem at all. Falcon has throw autocombos well into kill percents on Marth. Marth players in this matchup also have to be adept at getting grabs and being able to get the Falcon up to a low mid percent before really being able to combo them. All combos by the Marth player should be done with getting the Falcon off stage, as Marth's edgeguard game vs Falcon is incredibly easy and stupid.​

So it would be this vs the jumble of quotes method, I personally find this much easier to read and also if you spend some time editing it, it becomes easier to understand as part of a whole.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
If people are going to use my posts, don't make changes or abbreviate them. Binx's example made a bunch of unnecessary changes (no offense Binx). The change of "With" to "Vs" Falcon changes the meaning of my statement, which was intended to indicate how Falcon players rely on bad DI to do most of those "impressive/awesome" combos. If you want to add in things, use a different color text to indicate it is your own comment, but don't alter my posts or quotes.

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7112063&
So it would be this vs the jumble of quotes method, I personally find this much easier to read and also if you spend some time editing it, it becomes easier to understand as part of a whole.
I like that idea, I will combine the quotes once I get all of the information I need and organize it, making the thread/post smaller and less to skim through.

EDIT

If people are going to use my posts, don't make changes or abbreviate them. Binx's example made a bunch of unnecessary changes (no offense Binx). The change of "With" to "Vs" Falcon changes the meaning of my statement, which was intended to indicate how Falcon players rely on bad DI to do most of those "impressive/awesome" combos. If you want to add in things, use a different color text to indicate it is your own comment, but don't alter my posts or quotes.
When you say this, do you mean don't change the ORIGINAL POST AT ALL or what I'm USING at all?

Binx

Smash Master
<3 Tuar

Oh see thats why I would change them, cause what your saying is With Falcon anything is possible and awesome vs Marth if you don't DI correctly I am assuming after reading this. Where as I read with Falcon you can combo him with anything as Marth depending on DI. That is the reason I was making changes, also if this is a match up thread people shouldn't necessarily be reading what you do but what they should do, I was only changing them (albeit unnecessarily) strictly to keep the context of the thread a match up thread and not the copy cactuar thread.

Thats the main reason I don't like quotes to begin with because they are usually answers to a question, without the question there the wording needs to become more specific. Which is why I think some of it should be changed. The main idea stays the same unless the reader completely misunderstands the comment.

If I was doing the thread and people didn't want me changing quotes around I would just write what they say in my own words and just do a bibliography at the end, although I feel thats a lot more selfish and would not want to do that.

TL;DR - Quotes are not organized because they are answers to questions, it takes to much room to write the questions so they must occasionally be changed for neatness and organization.

PS: Cactuar your a f*ing b**ch in a low level final fantasy 6 game, stupid 1000 needles. Took me like 80 **** tries to beat you.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
read and add to your guide and if it isn't added tell me why,i know pichu better than 99% of everyone

hey i am bored and i want to talk pichu, so here. pichu gets ***** lol, no ready if they pick pichu and it isn't freindlies then it's 1 of 2 thing, 1. sandbagging or 2. they are realy good and they know know whats going on.

pichu is hard to catch(due to many movement tricks) and his WD is perfect to avoid dtilt. and if you get hit you get grabed most of the time and pichu can chain throw marth to at least 35% most likly alot higher and if the pichu see you tech they could run and SHFFL dair and that hurts bad. pichu will be doing most of the egde game so keep that in mind and pichu can d throw to up smash and to what % i don't know, but i know it hurts bad

he may be underrated but i know he can be very dangerous in the right hands(me) never jump staight staight above him, it's nearly as bad as fox. a pitty marth's recovery isn't better because if he uses f-smash you will most likely die. nair is the fastest is the game. but in the long run marth still ***** this foot tall mouse, funny how pichu is half his size, and this is easily pichu 2nd worst match up and if you lose to pichu play as him, hey if you can't beat them join them

how to beat: fair and abuse your gay range your grab is longer than his f-smash

note. the pika match is very diffrent, trust me the only thing same is don't jump staight above him and he can chain throw you (not as good due to worst grab range)

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
yes but i started with how pichu can **** and if he gets in it equals death to marth, i know because i can get into my brother's marth and i **** extra hard. but marth will **** pichu about 90% of the time

just felt like adding it just in case

read and add to your guide and if it isn't added tell me why,i know pichu better than 99% of everyone

hey i am bored and i want to talk pichu, so here. pichu gets ***** lol, no ready if they pick pichu and it isn't freindlies then it's 1 of 2 thing, 1. sandbagging or 2. they are realy good and they know know whats going on.

pichu is hard to catch(due to many movement tricks) and his WD is perfect to avoid dtilt. and if you get hit you get grabed most of the time and pichu can chain throw marth to at least 35% most likly alot higher and if the pichu see you tech they could run and SHFFL dair and that hurts bad. pichu will be doing most of the egde game so keep that in mind and pichu can d throw to up smash and to what % i don't know, but i know it hurts bad

he may be underrated but i know he can be very dangerous in the right hands(me) never jump staight staight above him, it's nearly as bad as fox. a pitty marth's recovery isn't better because if he uses f-smash you will most likely die. nair is the fastest is the game. but in the long run marth still ***** this foot tall mouse, funny how pichu is half his size, and this is easily pichu 2nd worst match up and if you lose to pichu play as him, hey if you can't beat them join them

how to beat: fair and abuse your gay range your grab is longer than his f-smash

note. the pika match is very diffrent, trust me the only thing same is don't jump staight above him and he can chain throw you (not as good due to worst grab range)

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Just a bit of confusion with DIing Fox's up-air. When you say to DI toward him after the first hit, do you mean DI down (as he'll be below you) or do you mean right, because you used left to refer to DIing away from him earlier. It's just that I'm not sure if you mean literally toward Fox, which can mean a number of things, or just DIing in the opposite direction as you were before.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
If Fox is coming at you from the left and U-Throw's you, DI left. This is inward.

When he tries to U-Air you, DI away. This is right, the direction opposite from which he was coming from.

Top Bottom