• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi Moveset Discussion #5: Up Smash

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Yoshi's best smash, obviously. It tears through almost every aerial in the game. It is why Yoshi is such an anti-aerialist. Nice KO power, too.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I crave using Yoshi's upsmash. Even if I don't KO them the opponent will be airborne and susceptible to Uair and eggs. The sliding UpSmash is cool too even though every character can do it.

bigman40

Smash Master
Pros:
Invincibility on his head
Covers from behind to in front decently
kills (duh)

Cons:
Laggy at the end
Not as much power as he should have (doesn't accurately kill until 150%)

Elefterios

Smash Journeyman
really good charging upsmash. if you are charging and your opponent rolls in back of you, you would still hit with the back of his head.

and if you are playing with bunny hoods on, this smash *****. lol

Metatitan

Smash Master
i should probly use usmash more as an attacking move, its just puff has had an impact on my yoshi where i never use the most convenient killing move; the bonus, it dont have too much trouble killing because my usmash is fresh, the down side, i couldve wracked damage up a lot faster

Chaco

Never Logs In
It is good at racking up damage with. Which is what I use it for, but mainly my kill moves are; Uair, Fsmash, and Fair. I can land rising fair really well, and normal falling fairs. I can hit the CG release fair a ton.

So that's why I'll string my Usmashes. at lower percents you can land about 2 Usmashes in a row. And if they don't DI it, 3. I've gotten up to 5 before on a good player. He just wasn't expecting it. Of course it was stale by then though. Lol.

.Marik

is a social misfit
It is good at racking up damage with. Which is what I use it for, but mainly my kill moves are; Uair, Fsmash, and Fair. I can land rising fair really well, and normal falling fairs. I can hit the CG release fair a ton.
This is why I love this move. It racks up insane damage, and catches the opponent off-guard, especially when you slide and string the Fsmashes. :yoshi:

Airborne

Smash Lord
I crave using Yoshi's upsmash. Even if I don't KO them the opponent will be AIRBORNE and susceptible to Uair and eggs. The sliding UpSmash is cool too even though every character can do it.
you trying to say something???
i like the hitbox and stuffs, but the knockback is not as good as it can be when you deal with people that love vertical knockbacks.... not knocking them back...
also, if you notice people DIing behind you when they are above you to avoid, let them misinterpret with a DACUS b/c it stops the momentum completely and f's them up..... <3
edit: also, i began to stop using this move as much b/c of me trying to learn the spacing for fsmash... T-T i need this back!

Dr. Robotnik

Smash Journeyman
basically if you play defensivly with your back airs, eggs, and egg rolls(not many people understand how to punish it unless they have a sword), and dont use your up-smash so its at full power, than get a grab on your oponent, and when released, dash upsmash. it will usually kill light characters at 80, others at 120. best to use this on low cieling levels, or delfino.

Yosheon

Smash Cadet
It's a very good up-smash, and I like to use it when my opponents are approaching from above.

If that attack could cover Yoshi's blindspot...

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
i LOVE using this move to punish air dodges that are relatively low to the ground - love it so much. Sometimes you get two in a row because they airdodge right after the first one hits.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Actually, you can get more than that. People, really don't expect it and at low percents they're easy to string.

Metatitan

Smash Master
eh mabey on wifi (no offense) but uve gotta read airdodges and their DI to string them together effectively. stringing them isnt too reliable

Chaco

Never Logs In
Wifi despite how much your argue the fact is not going to be different on the key factors involving stringing them. Main ones are percentage, knockback, speed, weight and DI. Not going to change offline a whole lot, DI wise. So, at low percents it is easy to string them. Because the percentage is low, the knockback isn't much, and the DI can't get you in the clear here. It met help you dodge some but, your still not safe. Getting one then two isn't hard, more yes. It is less reliable but still possible, and a great damage racker.

Gindler

Smash Champion
I do enjoy stringing them, after like 25% though you have to start reading airdodges and whatnot (usually not hard since most people try to get out with that after taking 2 Usmashes in a row).

I use this ALOT on peach too, stupid Dair.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
People are so funny, it's weird. I will upsmash. They air dodge. I get another upsmash. THEY AIRDODGE AGAIN. uhh okay don't learn your lessons hehe. Another upsmash for me. LOL. Sorry I just think it's hilarious. I consider this a 5 hit gauranteed combo because pretty much everyone is gauranteed to air dodge for reasons I will never understand. Probably one of the reasons I love Yoshi so much, he's the ultimate air dodge counter =)

Metatitan

Smash Master
People are so funny, it's weird. I will upsmash. They air dodge. I get another upsmash. THEY AIRDODGE AGAIN. uhh okay don't learn your lessons hehe. Another upsmash for me. LOL. Sorry I just think it's hilarious. I consider this a 5 hit gauranteed combo because pretty much everyone is gauranteed to air dodge for reasons I will never understand. Probably one of the reasons I love Yoshi so much, he's the ultimate air dodge counter =)
wario and mk are better at anti airdodging, but we still **** at it :p

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: It's funny, I saw the thread title discussing upsmash, and all I could think about was what happens...

...when I land an up tilt at 0%.

It's an UPSMASH PARTAYYYYYYYY!! It's cool that lots of other people do this.

I'm a firm believer that in some matchups you should use upsmash at the beginning of an enemy stock and then save up to use it at the end for the KO. Some matches, however, you can really spam upsmash on people who just won't learn and it's very very low risk, high reward.

I approve.

For anybody who still grab releases to upsmash on Meta Knight, try to get him to 120% if you can for guaranteed KO. His DI and momentum canceling on really big stages can make the ~100% KO range really hard to consistently succeed with, so being patient will net you more consistent KOs.

Also (LOL), I love when I get to do this (LOL!). If you're a jerk like me and make people afraid of the upsmash, you can use it when someone's coming down from the air, but use it SUPER EARLY. Like, I'm talking, after you whiff the first one you could do a second one and have that one hit at the tail end, early. It FREAKS people out and when it doesn't force airdodges, you can bait out high priority aerials or some really wonky aerial control from confused opponents. Seeing you do the upsmash so early and miss makes opponents get nervous when they see that you're just there below them and could react to anything. The downsides are twofold in the sense that this trick will only work a few times (I'm talking use this twice a tournament or maybe once every few rounds in a big tournament) since people will be watching you play and you should only really use it to net early KOs or KOs that you REALLY need to snatch a lead and keep it. Don't waste this. The second downside is that the onus is on YOU to make sure you react properly to whatever the opponent does (or doesn't do). Yoshi doesn't have very many chances to MAKE OPPORTUNITIES, so when you get a chance like this, DO NOT BLOW IT.

Now, that's just a trick I use. It works sometimes, sometimes it doesn't (which is why I do it early enough to attempt to recover safely). Try it out and if you don't like it, try to find your own little ways to use upsmash to either instill fear or to **** face. It's a move, not unlike up air, that demands respect from your opponents, so try to abuse that quality when you can.

P.S. - When performing a sliding upsmash and you're not sure if the opponent can shield or not (hmmmm, you probably should be doing this in this case, but sometimes, like when characters are coming down from airdodges and such, some powershielding can occur), try to space/time it so that the tip of Yoshi's nose when his head is coming forward in front of him will hit the opponent. You face the least amount of frame disadvantage this way and also are spaced as much as you can from the enemy. If you get too close, the shielded hit from the upsmash will occur very early, giving your opponent lots of time to retaliate OoS.

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi's DACUS stops his momentum. Someone (Sharky?) put up a video once, showing the difference between the DACUS (no slide) and hyphen smash (slide).

Depster

Smash Champion
Call me crazy but I think Usmash has a disjointed hitbox out front. I killed a DK with it without touching him I'm pretty sure... Me and him were both like 0_0 I didn't get the replay saved though, and I may have been able to save it lol, was a quick match =p

Airborne

Smash Lord
Call me crazy but I think Usmash has a disjointed hitbox out front. I killed a DK with it without touching him I'm pretty sure... Me and him were both like 0_0 I didn't get the replay saved though, and I may have been able to save it lol, was a quick match =p
every attack that yoshi has involving some bashing with his head has a few frames where his head swells up by quite a bit. it's really noticable when you hit someone with the farthest possible range of a fsmash. =P

Yosheon

Smash Cadet
Dang, it would've help if you saved the video so we can see it. I had a similar experience like that, but it involved Yoshi's f-air. During a match with a Wolf player, it looked as if I meteor smashed him without touching him.

It was funny.

bigman40

Smash Master
i think it does, look up scatz vs dragn's zelda
Meta has it right. It's not a just disjointed hitbox, it's an invunerable head (making it disjointed). The difference in my video though, I spaced the **** out of Zelda's Fsmash. Like, I looked at it frame by frame and Yoshi's nose hit Zelda's arm, but my body was AT MOST a centimeter away from getting hit. It's literally the definition of extreme spacing there lol.

If you had hit DK's hands with Yoshi's nose, and at the same time keeping your body out of range, then you will most likely win.

Top Bottom