• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hacks online will get you banned?

Shadow_of_Link

Smash Apprentice
(Original post here: http://www.mariokartwii.com/f7/solution-repairing-error-code-20102-hackers-ban-40450.html)

"Update

Wiibrew.org declares that HBC has no role in banning hackers. If this is true, then the only thing Nintendo is doing is checking WWs for suspecious activity. I now ask 2 questions:

1. Nintendo, can you really pull out hacking as discrete as a slightly modified top speed? What about terrain flag hacks some of us can do, which can give us guranteed wins, while NOTHING suspecious will show up on the servers?
2. Does this mean the end for 4TL hackers, while people can STILL hack in clan wars/private rooms?

Introduction

Yesterday, hackers of various Nintendo Wi-Fi capable games are confronted by the first action taken against them from Nintendo. This includes the temporary banning of numorous hackers from entering Nintendo WFC, and are presented with the EC 20102, then kicked off from WFC. I will not go into detail about it here, you can find additional information on other threads on this forum.

Hackers on this forum, such as Mr. Bean, myself and countless others, have spent some time investigating the bug that prevents us from entering WFC. We came up with the most accurate and appropriate description based on the cases, and they will be explained in more detail below.

What Nintendo Does

Nintendo WFC now monitors suspecious activity in all Wii online games that are active on their servers. They will now periodically scan for users with the Homebrew Channel(HBC) on their systems. For those of you who don't know what HBC is, it is an application for Wii users to launch homebrew, including software that are used in hacking Wii games.

Nintendo scans the system's hard drive for a specific file. This file is known as the HAXX Ticket or the HBC Ticket. This ticket is present in all systems with the Homebrew Channel installed. Since most hackers use HBC to hack their games, Nintendo believes that it is an effective way to search out hackers, who will have the HAXX Ticket on their Wii system.

Nintendo then flags the MAC Address (Wii ID) of the system tested positive for the HAXX Ticket. This means that this system will not be able to log on to WFC for a certain period of time that Nintendo sets. This also means all games and FCs related to this Wii ID will be banned. So that includes the banning of ALL your MKWii licenses, your SSBB account, your CoD:WaW profile, your ACCF records and all other WFC IDs you may have.

IF You're Banned

If you are guilty of hacking, like myself, and Nintendo caught and banned you, you have the following options:

1. Re-format your system. This will get you a new Wii ID and unbanned, but it will erase everything and you will not be able to use your old saves anymore. You have to start with new FCs.

2. Wait. It is assumed that this is a 1st-time warning from Nintendo, you will be unbanned soon.

3. Call Nintendo. I've heard of a lot of hackers calling Nintendo and discussing about unbanning them if they behave in the future.

Ban Prevention

I am unsure that this will work 100%, time will tell. (It's only been a bit more than one day, lol)

Since Nintendo scans for the HAXX Ticket that exists on the Homebrew Channel. The best way to prevent it is to NOT HAVE the HAXX Ticket on your system. This mean that you should remove HBC from your system, because its ticket is what Nintendo is looking for and that ultimately gets you banned.

Can you still hack? YES. There are alternatives aside from using HBC to hack the games. You can launch the program directly from TwilightHack/Zelda TP disc, or install the program itself as a fixed Wii Channel and launch it from there. Such methods do not involve the present of the HAXX Ticket. So Nintendo can NOT scan for it (IT DOESN'T EXIST!!) and they can NOT ban you in this case.

REMEMBER:
NO TICKET, NO BAN!!

Conclusion

No, don't hate us because we may have found a stable way to bypass Nintendo's reinforcements. Personally, I believe Nintendo did a really good job this time. They managed to get rid of a load of n00b hackers out there, and not just on MKWii but on other games as well. However, as of now, many people are still "enhancing the online gaming experience" for others by hacking. So I wouldn't say Nintendo completely win this battle. Time will give us the final results, and I await and accept Nintendo's next challange, on behalf of all the 4 Teh Lulz hackers out there."

I really hope this doesn't extend to With Friend's games (it wouldn't even make sense for it), I like my balance and hitstun :(

Sukai

Smash Champion
What if we delete homebrew and reinstall it every time we need it?

EDIT: Nintendo are ***s, plain and simple. They boast so much about people having fun, but then they pull this **** off.
Just void our warranty dammit, don't do this!

ANOTHER EDIT: After looking the error code up, it seems like we may be able to avoid such interaction if we just don't have our hacks active when connecting to wifi, of course that would be bad for Brawl+, but it's more of an offline gig anyway.

UncleSam

Smash Master
I don't even hack online, I want to see them ban me for doing nothing wrong on wifi
This did happen to one of my friends tho but in his diamond version not online on his wii or anything, he still had to reset the whole game

Revven

FrankerZ
This only applies to MKWii so far so I SERIOUSLY doubt Brawl is affected in any way (especially for friends matches). Here's what Team Twiizers had to say:

We have read reports and been spammed on Wiibrew with the claim that Nintendo is banning Mario Kart users from the online WFC mode if they have The Homebrew Channel installed.

There is very little information regarding the claimed issue. However, considering HBC is not a prerequisite for Mario Kart online cheating, nor does it have any direct relationship with it, and especially considering the ease with which we could change HBC’s Title ID, I think it’d be incredibly foolish for Nintendo to do this. They aren’t the brightest of the lot, but they’re not that stupid.

I have succeeded in playing a perfectly normal WFC match on-line with Mario Kart while HBC (1.0.1) was installed. There was no sign of trouble or errors at all.

Unless we get multiple, verifiable reports of people who have never cheated at Mario Kart or performed any modifications whatsoever, and who do not have and have never had any other installable homebrew other than HBC and no other modifications (that means no region changes, no downgrades, no IOS16, no cIOS, no warez launchers, and no other unofficial channels), no modchip, and a legit, in-region copy of Mario Kart, I am forced to conclude that whoever made this claim hasn’t done their research properly.

I would like to remind you that we in no way condone on-line game cheating. Try playing like a normal user a few times. I just got a golden mushroom without having to patch memory and screw up other players; I’m sure you can too.
In other words, the whole HBC part of this is wrong. Nintendo is just banning people for using codes on MKWii, I don't think this will affect Brawl, especially since you don't even have NAMES in With Anyone and in With Friends, likely, your friends know about it (and even if they didn't, you desync anyway).

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
Wow, that really sucks...... So I can't play online anymore..... Ughhh....... Dumb Nintendo. If they ever saw how much fun hacks are they would not have done this.....

I just remembered something, do you remember .wads? They are homebrew apps but in channel form inside the wii menu.
Maybe if you turn all your apps into wads, then delete the homebrew channel, you could probably still hack online...

Red-Blue

Was selected randomly
Wow, that really sucks...... So I can't play online anymore..... Ughhh....... Dumb Nintendo. If they ever saw how much fun hacks are they would not have done this.....

I just remembered something, do you remember .wads? They are homebrew apps but in channel form inside the wii menu.
Maybe if you turn all your apps into wads, then delete the homebrew channel, you could probably still hack online...
But. Sometimes, you just wanna try new things. :c

illinialex24

Smash Hero

That sounds pretty cool, is there any way to test this?

Revven

FrankerZ
It does effect SSBB. I saw a snap of the error code in SSBB.

Just use a diff homebrew loader.
I was saying it probably doesn't affect With Friends. It probably I guess SOMEHOW applies to With Anyone (which is strange), it's a revelation to me, but it definitely isn't because you HAVE the HBC. It's because you're using codes.

Just don't use codes in With Anyone and it's nothing bad really. =\

illinialex24

Smash Hero
I was saying it probably doesn't affect With Friends. It probably I guess SOMEHOW applies to With Anyone (which is strange), it's a revelation to me, but it definitely isn't because you HAVE the HBC. It's because you're using codes.

Just don't use codes in With Anyone and it's nothing bad really. =\
No I've been banned using with friends, I have no idea how. I think I got it after using Curry swaps, not sure if I've ever gotten it for replay hacks but ****.

Revven

FrankerZ
No I've been banned using with friends, I have no idea how. I think I got it after using Curry swaps, not sure if I've ever gotten it for replay hacks but ****.
What? This is ******** then. Wow... looks like no Brawl+ online then? I haven't been banned yet though and I don't think any other B+ers have been either. Maybe... just maybe they see Brawl+ as legit... :laugh:

shadowtroop

Smash Ace
Well, I switched. If you use Sys menu 3.2 or below, just install gecko OS as a WAD. Or use an alternate homebrew loader.

lol @ w-fi

MaxDeUh

Smash Journeyman
Does Nintendo look for any hacks or just negative ones? Because I always use the Replay hack online, and if I'm playing with another person who has a hacked Wii I use the no trip code and sometimes Wavedashing. Though, I hate Wavedashing in Brawl.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Does Nintendo look for any hacks or just negative ones? Because I always use the Replay hack online, and if I'm playing with another person who has a hacked Wii I use the no trip code and sometimes Wavedashing. Though, I hate Wavedashing in Brawl.
I think it looks for the Homebrew launch, not codes actually. And yeah, I had that error code a while back.

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
Here's a bunch of .wads I found...

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link to hacker sites, so remove the spaces.

To get .wads on your Wii in the first place, use the wad installer.

EDIT: The .wads in the first link are dead, never mind. But I guess you have an idea of what they're like, right?

Revven

FrankerZ
smk reported getting flagged, during a with friends match with both people having the same codes on.
I didn't get "flagged", I was saying what I said based off of the people in this thread. I haven't personally been affected yet and I played B+ yesterday twice.

Kirbykrew

Smash Journeyman
I played B+ with a friend for about an hour yesterday/today (Midnight passed) and nothing happened to either of us except a friend disconnect once or twice, but of course we each were able to get back on.

BurningCrusader777

Smash Journeyman
This is stupid... At least in Brawl's case. Hacks de-sync you from everyone else, so they get to laugh at you SDing anyway.

And friends would know and likely have the same hackset, so why would that be a problem...?

illinialex24

Smash Hero
I played B+ with a friend for about an hour yesterday/today (Midnight passed) and nothing happened to either of us except a friend disconnect once or twice, but of course we each were able to get back on.
Right, you dont get caught often but I was caught I believe a month back, even before this. I was shocked I couldn't get on at the time.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Dunno if it will help or not, but I recommend that anyone that wants to play online at the very least turn off wiiconnect24, as they may rely on it to detect the homebrew channel. I can't guarantee that this will work, though, so don't come crying to me if you get banned while you have wiiconnect24 off. Actually, do come crying to me, that way I can edit this post to say this doesn't work.

Is anyone even sure if they ban you for using hacks in brawl, yet? Since all the reports have been about mkw, so far, afaik.

Rikana

Smash Champion
Wait, so what's going on? Who's actually been banned/warned by Nintendo when playing Brawl+ online?

If anything, just install Gecko OS as a .wad file like mentioned. It's an extra step, but it's more safe.

Almas

Smash Lord
Okay guys, I'm okay with you discussing the impacts of this, but please refrain from discussing work arounds such as installing unofficial channels. These go against the board's rules, I'm afraid.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
They can do this but they can't improve the online play? :/ That's rational of them.. Anyway I use hacks for regular Brawl and Brawl+ and I'm not banned. ;) I'm on it now too.

Volt7x

Smash Journeyman
Banning in Brawl Wi-Fi too? For what, picking Online Practice Stage and making random eight year olds freak out and wet their pants? This is really stupid. I can't delete HBC since I don't have TP (to load apps). At least I guess I can use WAD Manager and WAD versions of apps from now on.
MKWii hackers have been getting banned for a while now. I used and alt license and kept spamming Blue Shells until everyone got DC'ed. Eventually I got banned. The ban only affected one license for a short while. I think this one will affect all licenses. Can we at least play online without hacks?

Top Bottom