• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoshi v. King Dedede

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: This is the thread for discussion on the Yoshi v. King Dedede matchup.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I'll let PRiDE and Bwett and Furbz go to town on this one.

I will say, however, that down aerial is one of the best shield punishers for Yoshi in this matchup. It's really very useful for shield pressure against a character that many cannot shield pressure.

Tidycats29

Smash Cadet
NNID
supadino007
Switch FC
4953-1106-1226
Wouldn't he be able to easily grab you out of that, though?
From my experience

they try to shield grab they get hit

i haven't gotten shieldgrabbed from a dair yet by a ddd

those that have tried failed

honestly in this match up you pretty much can knock DDD around and get some pretty easy combos on him and even a cg on him(hard but it can be done)
the only problem is getting the kill

he so **** fat that your gonna have a problem killing him and the fact that you probably gonna hit him with a trillion up smash
you ain't really gonna kill him with that move

He on the other hand ain't gonna approach
much of us know that
he waits to shield grab you
most of the % your gonna get is gonna be from the cg
and usually your gonna get killed with his utilt

i think it is a 5;5 match up
You can combo **** him and camp him with eggs
problem is the kill for yoshi

DDD gonna have a hard time approaching so he'll rely on CG and quick kill with his strengh

thats my opinion anyway

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Oh, one effective technique against King Dedede is, when approaching him, to double-jump right before you do an aerial. That way you'll be safe from his grab if he manages to shield your aerial.

And, honestly, you'll only be able to kill King Dedede with your u-air. And he'll mostly only be open to that during his recovery. You may be able to kill him with Yoshi Bomb, but it's a bit risky.

Gindler

Smash Champion
I tend to short hop egg toss more than ets in this matchup don't know why I guess I just feel safer in the air

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
One problem is that he easily gimps Yoshi's recovery. And he can also dthrow into dtilt Yoshi.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: On the topic of Gordos, if you're in the air and a Gordo is headed your way, don't be so quick to dodge.

You can actually stop Gordos with Yoshi's forward air, so don't forget that as an option just in case you feel like the regular reaction to a Gordo is meant to bait you into something.

auroreon

Smash Ace
My experience of this matchup gives me one piece of advice... Don't Get Grabbed.
Hounestly, D3 is going to want to shieldgrab you and he will take any opertunity he gets to do it. This makes it very hard to successfully attack.
Luckily, D3 is a big fat penguin, and as such he gets smacked around a lot by Yoshi and doesn't take well to eggs. Eggs and ETS are invaluable in this matchup.
If you can keep him in the air as much as possible, not get grabbed and keep him at bay with eggs, he shouldn't be that much of a problem.

Frown

poekmon
Grab him before he grabs you. And throw eggs.

While in the air, using nair in his face is quite effective, seeing how he has no fast aerial that covers his front.

PRiDE

Smash Lord
I will be posting about this match up this weekend when I have time to sit down and write something comprehensible. This and Snake are my favorite match ups now.

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
i wanna know this secret to the snake matchup,

lol i hate it
=O

Even if Yoshi is disadvantaged, Snake is a lot of fun to fight against! He's so unique, yet not annoying (like Olimar).

Back on topic, I have to say that his b-air just owns Yoshi except for when he uses his up-smash. It's worse than his chain-grab, in my opinion.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Well, I mean...

...his grabs are good regardless. If I'm playing King Dedede and I'm feeling lazy, I don't even chaingrab people. I just play dumb and gay and shieldgrab and back throw or forward throw because they do ridiculous damage anyway. His grab game is the scary part, not the chaingrab.

D

Deleted member

You have to camp the **** out of D3. Reaally hard. I like baiting grabs and punishing as well.
Edge camp a tonnn! I beat one of the best players in mexico's D3 in tourny coming back from a 0-100 lead on last stock by ledge camping then running to the other edge. I was accused of planking XD Too good :p

Metatitan

Smash Master
and if u really dont wanna do this matchup use the ice climbers =D
ddds need to pay for having that cg, cg them back stocky

.Marik

is a social misfit
Avoid his grabs, play really gay and egg spam, and keep attacking Dedede using aerials.

Probably works. I beat a Dedede at my first Tournament, but I haven't seen him since, so I can't verify.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
If DDD starts to use his aerials, I tend to run away, since I don't know how to get through them. And I really like to use my aerial speed to my advantage. I like to mindgame them into thinking im gonna bair but retreat at the last second. And then do a real bair. It shield pokes well or you get a free bair in. I don't do the retreating bair as much as I'd like to since I only play Yoshi online. But I like it off stage. I can act like Im going for a fair, retreat, wait for an airdodge or aerial, and then do an up air or something.

Talazala

Smash Journeyman
Avoid his grabs, play really gay and egg spam, and keep attacking Dedede using aerials.

Probably works. I beat a Dedede at my first Tournament, but I haven't seen him since, so I can't verify.
That's how I would play anyways. Play defensively, and avoid getting close.
Hey Marik.

AnDaLe

Smash Champion
I agree, go defensive. spam eggs, Do the ledge camp (tilt opposite side, egg throw & aim, grab ledge automatically), when D3 goes for you as your doing it, roll up and keep spamming eggs if he goes in the air, also, do pivot grab a lot.

Btw ledgecamping is gay.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: You would think so, but if we miss, we get grabbed.

If he misses, he can just grab again.

It's a lose-lose when you get into grab wars against King Dedede.

JOE!

Smash Hero
It's a lose-lose when you get into grab wars against King Dedede.
unless you hit your grab....

anywho, some random stuff:

Dair Off stage is some free damage, ive never had one able to counte rit well...

Uair > UPB recovery for D3

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
I was being sarcastic... It doesn't work even when he is NOT recovering.

...Also, what the heck happened to my sig? o_O

EDIT: Nevermind. It's fixed now... with an addition to it, too! =D

JOE!

Smash Hero
sorry, fixed that :p

(was thinking of how he slammed down and auto-typed down B, ala Yoshi/boozer)

Top Bottom