• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl model extractor

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeonTogepi

Smash Journeyman
I had a feeling something like this would happen. Anyways, somewhat good news, since Kyral would likely have implemented it into BrawlBox probably a week or two after it's release anyway.

phantomphungus

Smash Journeyman
All we really want is the importer, right? What else would it have? As long as we can successfully import out models we make and rip it's all we really need.

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
Man, I am so f***ing p***ed at Pharrox! WTF! Why must yuu always stop these good things?! OMG! lol, i kid. I am Glad it's being passed on. Looking forward to the release, and Great Job! If I may ask, do you plan on looking into .rel?
anyways, just thought id add a little humor (or whatever) by joking around, cuz no one seems mad lol

...:::VILE:::...

Smash Ace
I think a while back (im not sure if this is exactly what he said) but PW said something about .rel files being fairly complex. I had a look at it and it seems to be 1 giant header, just a string of indications, but i could be wrong, i just had a quick skim.

Either way, this might come out right in time for my model that will make fan boys/girls wet themselves.

pokelover980

Smash Ace
I think a while back (im not sure if this is exactly what he said) but PW said something about .rel files being fairly complex. I had a look at it and it seems to be 1 giant header, just a string of indications, but i could be wrong, i just had a quick skim.

Either way, this might come out right in time for my model that will make fan boys/girls wet themselves.
I think he recently figured out .rel files, or at least he figured out some complicated file last time I heard. It had something to do with the Clone Engine he's working on, and how stage .rel files were easier to modify and create than character .rel files or something complicated like that >.<

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Actually, it should probably die now. Pharrox has given over his work to Kryal, who will likely implement it in BrawlBox if anywhere. And that has its own bustling thread.

brawlshifter

Smash Lord
If you look at this, you're a stalker: NorCal
Bump, this thread shall never die!
I was hoping someone would do that, but I think the thread is pretty much dead now. Since the Injector is being passed on to Kryal, everything talking about it will start to go in the BrawlBox thread.

EDIT: Didn't see Eldiran's post...

EDIT 2: Actually, the BrawlBox thread is becoming huge. We might need a separate thread for this.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Unless Pharrox would specifically want me to lock this thread, I'm going to wait until he posts it. (Or, if Kryal wants to come in this thread or PM me and tell me to lock it because it's going into BrawlBox, that's fine too)

I don't have 100% confirmation that he is or isn't going to release it, just that he gave it to Kryal.

You guys should stop bumping the topic though, just don't rush the guy =O

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
Well I kinda have an announcement, and it's not something many of you are going to want to hear.

After spending the last week or so making arbitrary improvements and then deciding that I liked it better the way it was before, I've come to a conclusion that I've been denying for a good amount of time now: this is a complete waste of my time.

For a couple of days I had decided scrapping the project entirely, but after giving it some more thought and talking with Kryal briefly I decided I will release the program after fixing a couple bugs in the weight handling (whats causing crashes for the few of you who have it). After that however, I'm pretty much going to abandon this project except for doing bug fixes up to the point that Kryal has this functionality working in his programs.
This means: I'm still releasing, but after released, I will bugfix until Kryal picks it up.

Kryal

Smash Ace
Unless Pharrox would specifically want me to lock this thread, I'm going to wait until he posts it. (Or, if Kryal wants to come in this thread or PM me and tell me to lock it because it's going into BrawlBox, that's fine too)

I don't have 100% confirmation that he is or isn't going to release it, just that he gave it to Kryal.

You guys should stop bumping the topic though, just don't rush the guy =O
Pharrox didn't exactly hand anything over to me. He sent me a message offering to work together and/or share code. He didn't mention anything about his release plans. I told him what I was working on at the moment and said that I would appreciate any help, but he never messaged back.

I know this model import/export thing has gotten me some attention, but it's not exactly at the top of my list at the moment. If I did use his code it would more or less be for reference, because I will need to write the rebuilder from scratch anyways.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Pharrox has PM'd me to lock this thread, so I will do that now.

Edit:
Well, I've decided to let Bionic Sonic close this thread for now.

This project has really started to get to me and as I have stated I don't really see any point in wasting time doing something that will be done better anyway. I am currently changing my focus to another project that I've been wanting to work on for quite some time and will post the details of that when I have something releasable since I don't want a repeat of the current situation. I plan to post all my notes here after I get a chance to update them so if anyone is curious about Brawl's specs they can take a look.

Also it was just brought to my attention that there is some new user claiming that I stole his work. I will just state right now that this is NOT TRUE. To clear up any credit problems I will say right now that most of my research is based on Sabretooth's model extractor, however no code was directly copied. Sabretooth knows about this and is also the one who first explained to me the way that weights are applied (which is probably the hardest part of model decoding). William's extractor was also referenced for decoding polygon formats and position type ids. Gary's tplconv was used as a reference for texture extraction. No code was directly copied.

While my main focus will be on my side project for now, I will likely return to this if there hasn't been much progress within a decent amount of time (1 - 2 months) (and after talking to Kryal).

Thanks for all your support on this and, hopefully I'll have something more for you guys in the next few months

~Pharrox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom