• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 64 Remake?

Kakugyo

Smash Cadet
Masahiro Sakurai had originally planned to put more characters in SMash 64. There should not be TOO many characters (The genius in it is it's simplicity) but who do you think sould have been in it? (Please don't give stupid or far-fetched characters; i.e. Any minion, any lesser/minor character, Any third part character (This is the n64, guys), no anime characters, or characters that you think are of ANY less importance than any in brawl)

I'm just trying to get a list of REALISTIC characters †o see if a smash 64 remake would be plausible.

I was thinking 6 more characters and 5 more stages.

MarioReincarnate

Smash Journeyman
Mega Man

Actually how tight would a smash style game be with all Mega Man chars? I'm talking original NES MM... I dream

Glover? lol

NixxxoN

Smash Master
SSB64 remake would be fvcking great... The most important would be to add a lot more stages. About the characters... i think one of the best things of the game is that you can learn to play ALL the chars, so you have a lot of fun using all of them.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Banjo & Kazooie would own. There's definitely enough moves to occupy all the move slots. Oh, and Tiptup :D
Bowser and Dedede would also be good - we need more heavyweights :O

Wall-focused stages would be awesome too.

Seala

Smash Apprentice
Would be cool if they added Chrono or even Magus from Chrono Trigger, it's not very likely tho.

Maybe Conker? (Conker's bad fur day) or someone from Jet force gemini, I didn't play the game myself but I know alot of people love it.

Lawrencelot

Smash Lord
I really find it weird that they decided to put Jiggly in the game rather than Meowth. In the original anime, IIRC jiggly shows up in like every 3 episodes, while meowth shows up in like every episode. If I'd ever make a smash game I'd definitely put Meowth in it.

Seala

Smash Apprentice
I really find it weird that they decided to put Jiggly in the game rather than Meowth. In the original anime, IIRC jiggly shows up in like every 3 episodes, while meowth shows up in like every episode. If I'd ever make a smash game I'd definitely put Meowth in it.
That is true but Meowth wouldn't fit in ssb, it would look really weird playing as meowth to be honest.

n88

Smash Lord
I wouldn't be surprised to see Pit in. I've heard that he was originally in SSB64, but was replaced by Jigglypuff due to Pokemon's popularity.

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
Dedede and Princess Peach make perfect sense to be in the game, if you ask me.
Dedede was originally intended to be in there, and Sakurai likes pimping his own characters.

Megaman also makes sense in terms of his history and popularity, but he may not fit alongside the cast that's already there. If he were in the game, though, he's the only character I'd probably ever play as. :p

But what about STAGES? Smash64 needed an F-Zero stage, and needed to make Battlefield and FD playable.

Tambor

Smash Journeyman
we should go for characters that aren't in other smash games...
jack from harvest moon would be original and he's part of the nintendo franchise.

MiketheMike

Smash Journeyman
Little Mac and Conker

For my far fetched idea I'd put in Falcor from neverending story and Mega Hawk from Pilotwings

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
The only compelling reason to remake a fighting game is for rebalancing and, if you like that sort of thing, a graphical update. Adding new characters is what shiny sequels are for.

SSB64 needs neither of these things, it's exactly perfect the way it is. ^_^ On top of which edited remakes kind of bother me, personally, because I feel like it damages posterity v_v

Lawrencelot

Smash Lord
That is true but Meowth wouldn't fit in ssb, it would look really weird playing as meowth to be honest.
Come on, you really think jiggs plays less weird than a potential meowth? Just let him scratch and bite, throw coins, and maybe use his tail as moves. Jiggs does a weird thing with his foot, then punches up, and goes to sleep in order to kill his enemy, that doesn't make sense at all.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
I think Jigglypuff is just more popular in Japan.

Meowth.. meh. It wouldn't be right. At the time, pretty much all characters in the game were also fighters, and Team Rocket's Meowth was not a fighter. That changed in melee of course..

Tambor

Smash Journeyman
What are his attacks? Throwing a cow at someone?
Remember he has a hammer, a sickle, a hoe and a watering can. And a Ness-like hat. And he can jump over fences. And whistle to call for his dog/horse. And he pick up rocks, fences and weeds. And throw them. The list goes on and on... The point is he is probably physically capable of fighting.

To be honest, I am being a bit sarcastic which doesn't translate well in the internet.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Jigglypuff placed 2nd in popularity not Meowth. Btw i don't see Meowth in Brawl.

Jigglypuff was also easier to put in because they could get ideas off kirby instead of making a new original character design such as Meowth.

Nintendo had already talked about who they wanted to put in n64 and that was Bowser, Peach, and Mewtwo.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Remember he has a hammer, a sickle, a hoe and a watering can. And a Ness-like hat. And he can jump over fences. And whistle to call for his dog/horse. And he pick up rocks, fences and weeds. And throw them. The list goes on and on... The point is he is probably physically capable of fighting.

To be honest, I am being a bit sarcastic which doesn't translate well in the internet.
I was just joking. When I saw *harvest moon*, that was the first thing that came to mind, so I decided to post it :p

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
I think Tony Hawk would be pretty cool in this game.
His games are rad.
As much as I appreciate the humour I just want to note that I don't think I have ever seen a single serious post from you.

Nothing bad about that. Just a fun fact

Luigi's taunt needs to be Melee-ized in this game, or made powerful in some other way. I tried Luigi taunt battles on 200% Dreamland one time, with the rule that neither player is allowed to jump to recover. Very tense, the mindgames were ridiculous.
Actually not really. I wonder why they decided to make his taunt do that little "ponk" it does, but nothing more.

Sobchak

Smash Rookie
I think there is no need to remake a game that's already good. There's just no point, unless you want to boost the graphics, but the graphics in smash64 are perfect for it in my opinion. If I could have swapped out a character for someone else, I probably wouldn't have. I can't really think of a reason to get rid of anyone.

Mr. Rogu

Smash Ace
if there is ever a remake of smash 64, they should only improve the graphics, thats it. no new characters, no new stages, same gameplay physics engine. if they start to add more characters and stages with all these 1-player mini game modes, it would end up like melee and brawl. smash 64 is simple when it comes to characters and stages, keep it like that.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Bowser
Ganondorf
peach
zelda/sheik

how great would it be to see ganondorf in his OoT look in smash!

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
You know what would be amazing? If Sirlin were hired to do an "HD Remix" of this game, sort of like what he did for Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Obviously, the graphics would get upgraded. NO ADDING STAGES OR ITEMS OR CHARACTERS, none of that crap.

Then, there's the "fixes" to the game. He would fix a bunch of the balance issues with this game to make it even better balanced. He might do minor fixes here and there (nothing too drastic or it changes the game too much), that way it's better balanced and still the same game. Reducing kirby's utilt hitbox to a normal size, maybe adding lag/startup time to it. Make Link's second jump and upB go a bit farther each. Give samus's uair and fair more hitstun, maybe increase her horizontal speed a bit. Making pika's recovery go slightly less far or making him lighter and easier to kill or even reducing the duration of the hitbox in his fsmash. Basically it would be buffing the lower tiers and increasing the risk:reward ratio for the "broken" moves of higher tiers so that higher tiers can still use them well but not able to win with JUST those moves.

Sobchak

Smash Rookie
You know what would be amazing? If Sirlin were hired to do an "HD Remix" of this game, sort of like what he did for Street Fighter 2 Turbo

Obviously, the graphics would get upgraded. NO ADDING STAGES OR ITEMS OR CHARACTERS, none of that crap.

Then, there's the "fixes" to the game. He would fix a bunch of the balance issues with this game to make it even better balanced. He might do minor fixes here and there (nothing too drastic or it changes the game too much), that way it's better balanced and still the same game. Reducing kirby's utilt hitbox to a normal size, maybe adding lag/startup time to it. Make Link's second jump and upB go a bit farther each. Give samus's uair and fair more hitstun, maybe increase her horizontal speed a bit. Making pika's recovery go slightly less far or making him lighter and easier to kill or even reducing the duration of the hitbox in his fsmash. Basically it would be buffing the lower tiers and increasing the risk:reward ratio for the "broken" moves of higher tiers so that higher tiers can still use them well but not able to win with JUST those moves.
As cool as that sounds, I think it would take away from what the game actually was, flaws and all. Think about it, if they enhanced the graphics and balance the characters more, you basically have another brawl. However, I do think it would be pretty cool if they polished up the stages, so you still play with the polygon like characters, but on graphically better stages (like don't change the layout of the stage, just texture and model them better). But still, in the end, I don't think smash is one of those games that could get the HD treatment as cool as it sounds.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
As cool as that sounds, I think it would take away from what the game actually was, flaws and all.
What, it was only good because of flaws like kirby's utilt?

Think about it, if they enhanced the graphics and balance the characters more, you basically have another brawl.

Oh... HEEELLLLL no you just didn't. Get out of my internet.

However, I do think it would be pretty cool if they polished up the stages, so you still play with the polygon like characters,
Who gives a ****?

just texture and model them better)
No ****, that's the idea of a GRAPHICAL UPGRADE

But still, in the end, I don't think smash is one of those games that could get the HD treatment as cool as it sounds.

Oh ok, that explains everything.

Sobchak

Smash Rookie
What, it was only good because of flaws like kirby's utilt?
No, what you failed to understand is that people like smash 64 for the game it is. Sure there are broken moves, but going back to the game and fixing it is going to change the way the game plays, and not everyone wants that.

Oh... HEEELLLLL no you just didn't. Get out of my internet.
What you said was you wanted them to go back to the game and balance the characters, while improving the graphics. Well, they basically did that with melee and then brawl. So why bother "HD remixing" when you already have 2 sequels of better graphics and mechanics. So yea, read closely to what I was saying.

Who gives a ****?
Just stating my opinion, just like you did, but apparently you couldn't handle the criticism so you find yourself having to shoot down mine.

No ****, that's the idea of a GRAPHICAL UPGRADE
Again, read what I was saying. I was talking about only remodeling the stages, not the characters. The polygon-like character's is what makes the game more fun/nostalgic in my opinion. They only use enough polygons to get the general idea, leaving more to the imagination, and that's what makes n64 great, they generalized a lot of the graphics based off the limited software capabilities and still managed to make great games while today it's mostly about how pretty the graphics look. So, i was basically saying keep the old school feel of the polygon characters and incorporate some of the new age technology on the stages, balancing old with new. Just an opinion though, sorry you can't handle it.

Oh ok, that explains everything.
Don't let your ego get to you. You obviously couldn't handle that I criticized your idea so you went ahead and nitpicked everything I said to say something witty and snide as a counter. They you used the final blow of the join date for the feeling of utmost greatest satisfaction and accomplishment. It doesn't bother me though, because I'm not the one making myself look like the idiot right now. If you've got something to say in return, feel free, but I'm not going to respond if I get a similar response as before. Besides, I even said your idea was cool, so I have no idea why you blew up about it

Superstar

Smash Champion
I think he's mostly pissed you said another Brawl.

Brawl is the least balanced of the smashes both in viable characters and top to bottom difference. Not just cause of balance, but it leaves little room for skill and therefore low variability to the outcome.

Mikhas

Smash Apprentice
As much as I appreciate the humour I just want to note that I don't think I have ever seen a single serious post from you.

Nothing bad about that. Just a fun fact.
We all contribute in different ways. You're a pretty smart guy. I'm sure you contribute to serious discussions of the game.
I contribute by saying arguably funny things sometimes, and in return I get responses from people which make me lol.
Although I got an infraction for that post, I don't regret it.

This is my way of the ninja.

EDIT: On topic: Zangief should be in this game.

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
They you used the final blow of the join date for the feeling of utmost greatest satisfaction and accomplishment.
When he referenced your join date it was with the purpose of underscoring your lack of understanding of the smash games as three different, separate, and unique entities. All 3 games play in their own way and people play each one for those reasons.

What you said was you wanted them to go back to the game and balance the characters, while improving the graphics. Well, they basically did that with melee and then brawl. So why bother "HD remixing" when you already have 2 sequels of better graphics and mechanics.
If each one was successively just "better" in a purely objective sense, we'd all be playing Brawl. But we both know it's not like that. There are things about every game that each person finds different and enjoys to varying degrees.

You also must understand the stigma attached to smashers who came into the "scene" via Brawl, which is a smash demographic that so far seems to have a fairly different mindset towards smash than past smashers, because of how Brawl was built and the type of players it appeals to. But I don't mean to imply anything insulting through this.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
No, what you failed to understand is that people like smash 64 for the game it is. Sure there are broken moves, but going back to the game and fixing it is going to change the way the game plays, and not everyone wants that.
You obviously lack reading comprehension. I mentioned several times that these MINOR CHANGES would change the game very little, and would only give less reward/more risk for certain moves like kirby's utilt. Does that mean it would still be a useless move? Of course not.

What you said was you wanted them to go back to the game and balance the characters, while improving the graphics. Well, they basically did that with melee and then brawl.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

So why bother "HD remixing" when you already have 2 sequels of better graphics and mechanics. So yea, read closely to what I was saying.
I wonder if you're trolling or if you REALLY have no idea what you're talking about.

Just stating my opinion, just like you did, but apparently you couldn't handle the criticism so you find yourself having to shoot down mine.
I don't shoot down criticism, I shoot down ridiculously malinformed opinions based on assumptions that people like you pull out from your ***.

Again, read what I was saying. I was talking about only remodeling the stages, not the characters. The polygon-like character's is what makes the game more fun/nostalgic in my opinion. They only use enough polygons to get the general idea, leaving more to the imagination, and that's what makes n64 great, they generalized a lot of the graphics based off the limited software capabilities and still managed to make great games while today it's mostly about how pretty the graphics look. So, i was basically saying keep the old school feel of the polygon characters and incorporate some of the new age technology on the stages, balancing old with new. Just an opinion though, sorry you can't handle it.
I'm saying doing this is so ****ing pointless because the ones who really care about their "polygon look" can stick to playing to the original while everyone else could play the remake.

Don't let your ego get to you. You obviously couldn't handle that I criticized your idea so you went ahead and nitpicked everything I said to say something witty and snide as a counter. They you used the final blow of the join date for the feeling of utmost greatest satisfaction and accomplishment.
Nope, I just posted your join date as an explanation for your idiocy and extreme lack of knowledge about smash.

It doesn't bother me though, because I'm not the one making myself look like the idiot right now.
LOL

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
If they added Meowth to this game he'd be my main forever, no joke.

The only way you could KO him is a star KO and when he does his sound of him dying in the back would be "I'm blasting off agaaaaaaain!!!" *star* :D

Sobchak

Smash Rookie
@Fireblaster (i don't feel like quoting again). Anyways, while I did say stupid stuff at the end there, I was just trying to say that there is no point in HD remixing the game. It would be a wasted effort.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Bowser
Ganondorf
peach
zelda/sheik

how great would it be to see ganondorf in his OoT look in smash!
oh yeah and falco ROFL

and since skull kid has a huge role in MM maybe him

but that's it.

Top Bottom