• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucario vs. GaW (7) EXPORT

Timbers

check me out
Game & Watch

Matchup:

40:60

General info:

It's pretty hard for G&W to land one of his smashes against a good Lucario. As Lucario i try to stay out of air since G&W beats Lucario there really bad. I think Lucario beats G&W on the ground though. G&W can't really do anything to Lucario from his Dthrow since we roll really far away and we don't need to tech it to avoid Dsmash.

What to avoid:

Wait, what? Why would you want to be above GW on platformed stages? He can shield the dair and do anything OOS he wants, including up + B..
One of Lucario's biggest weaknesses verse G&W is that G&W kills Lucario so early that Lucario's aura isn't as effective here. Abuse this. It'll be hard to land a [GaW] smash attack, but you've got tech chase -> upsmash, and you should be able to predict Lucario's roll dodge since it's so abusable. Most of your kills will be from edgeguarding though. If you really want to kill with a smash, it requires even more patience because you have to wait for an opening. Don't get hit while being patient though.
G&W's fair is a great move against Lucario. It helps a lot when trying to gimp Lucario since his recovery sucks quite a bit. If you don't use it for gimping, save it as a kill move.

As usual, G&W's bair and nair are amazing in this matchup. If you can learn how to bait Lucario's airdodge, you'll do really well in this matchup.
How to win:

Only use full charge AS, and only when youre going to hit him during his dair, bair or smash attacks. considering how often G&W will spam those attacks, its not exactly hard to do and theyre all such comitted attacks with a long hitbox duration he cant do much to stop an AS once hes used it
don't toss out too much BAS, SDI is important (at least for the skill turtle), and I'm pretty sure Battlefield isn't your best choice of stage (key goes through the platforms, right?).
Aura spheres are always important and should never be obvious, and in this matchup you NEVER want to shoot a BAS unless G&W is on his last stock with little in his bucket(then spam away, if he buckets, punish with a grab) . Always have a charged AS on hand, and always be tricky and surprising with AS use. If you do get bucketed immediately grab G&W if you are anywhere near him.

GW tends to use a lot of the key in this matchup. It is extremely punishable ( =

If he tries to keep you floating with his Uair, just wait for him to make his move that give him a Dair to the face.

I love the Fsmash in this matchup(and every matchup that doesn't involve a farting fat man), especially when stutter-stepped . My kill moves are Fsmash, Bair (during his recovery), Dair, and AS.
Helpful tips:

O yeah...don't roll into G&W or you will get owned by Dsmash.
Key approaches are best shut down by walking away and punishing with pivots/long ranged stuff. Too many people try to just walk to up to GW and get Up + B'd. Just pivot grab as he lands. Also your uair can beat his key if you're alittle to the side and have good timing.

Stages:

Disclaimer: This thread is made for the sole purpose of keeping matchup discussing clean and organized. If people wish to discuss a past matchup, they may do so in this thread without cluttering the current discussion.

Shadowfang89

Smash Rookie
Concerning Stages

I noticed there was nothing for stages with GW, Ban Rainbow Cruise, pretty much flat out, Game and Watch is the only character in the game that competes with MK there, so he owns you there....that leaves a lot of good stages for him, and very few for us, i see no problems with Final D, but i personally(if they dont ban it) prefer taking GW to Jungle Japes, Partly because i love that stage with Lucario, also because Tech-Chase Usmash becomes significantly less effective, as does sweet spotted down smash and to some extent the match, which are most of game and watches kill moves, and its nice to see them not killing you at dumb percents... Also, i feel like his Key and Up B lose a lot of effectiveness on the stage.... well those are my reasons if you wanted to put something up...

Raven Leader

Smash Rookie
This was very helpful. I have the hardest time beating a GaW and now I have a little bit more of a chance.

G-Beast

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4442-0111-1914
aye but that isnt exactly what i call discussion... all the same thanks for complementing the discussion we had. i didn't make any posts because i didn't know anything outside of basics against G&W, but i think the discussion did turn out well

iRJi

Smash Champion
It's perfectly fine to post in exports, even if they are old. It's what they are their for =]

Pitbuller26

Smash Lord
I lost to a G&W yesterday in a tourney match 2-1. I lost badly(2 stocked) on his counterpick which was Brinstar. What strategies would you recommend on that stage since I could not use anything on that stage to my advantage.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
I lost to a G&W yesterday in a tourney match 2-1. I lost badly(2 stocked) on his counterpick which was Brinstar. What strategies would you recommend on that stage since I could not use anything on that stage to my advantage.
Don't play on it.

but seriously though its a heavy CP for G&W in this MU

We die early

it forces aerial combat.

not a lot of space to roll

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Brinstar is the better of the two choices if you ask me.

Lucario needs ground combat for G&W more than Air combat. Even if you know how to SDI his Bair and Nair it's better to do more ground work.

Rainbow cruise forces way more air combat than ground with the movement. Brinstar does the same and can force some dumb low percent KO's, but compared to the alternative.

It really comes down to which you think is worse, Rainbow Cruise or Brinstar.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I don't like playing Lucario's on Brinstar anymore... not after what Lee did to me. Instead, I counterpick them to Delfino.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
I would, but I don't remember. All I know is he kept getting super powerful and killing me too early. Dair, Fsmash, Uair.... ugg

manhunter098

Smash Lord
I can see Brinstar turning bad on GaW against a Lucario with a high aura boost simply because the stage boundaries are rather small in pretty much every direction but down and GaW is also very light.

xxpatgxx

Smash Journeyman
ah so Brinstar is actually a great stage for lucario as a whole.

Top Bottom