• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New way to play Brawl? (Don't quote me on this)

person701

Smash Journeyman
Personaly, I don't like the way regular Brawl is played and I use a different set of options. All I modify is the Damage Ratio (now 1.1) and put on Heavy Brawl. I'm not trying to make it feel more like Melee, but just feel faster and more, well, heavy like. I'm not sure if this would bring back any combos (don't have many people to test this on), but I believe it does add some to the game. I also know that some chaingrabs are harder to preform while others are just down right nerfed (Falco's Dthrow now lasts till ~31% instead of ~50%). It also brings back a that great (or maybe not-so-great) pressure while off stage.

I know that the subject of using Heavy Brawl has been brought up in the past, but I guess what I'm getting at is using other internal options the game has to offer, like damage ratio to increase knockback and reduce, if not, take out infinates in Heavy Brawl. Tell me what yall think about it. Before you post, please, try it out. And please, positive thoughts/post/comments/etc. ;)

P.S. Also, can we please not get into Meta <_< He's already complained about enough in regular Brawl.

Cold Fusion

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ JIGGLYPUFF OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Doesn't heavy brawl also reduce jumping height? I have tried it before and I found it fun.

DerpDaBerp

Smash Champion
If you want it to be more like Melee........ go and play some actual Melee

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Seriously people, stop saying that. Maybe he likes Brawl's characters more, or perhaps how his main plays in Brawl, or maybe the better graphics.

n88

Smash Lord
An interesting idea. Only problem is that special brawls aren't counted in records. I'm trying to get the 2,000 KO achievement, so I won't be using this much. I do see how it could work, though.

person701

Smash Journeyman
*sigh*

Plus, it was clearly stated that he is not trying to make it like Melee.
Thank you. And also, I am a Melee player. The only real reason I play Brawl is cause it's what everyone ever wants to play where that I live anymore. Only one other Melee player and that's my 'apprentice' I suppose you could call him... (and I don't get out much so... <_<).

But this is besides the point...

And yes Y462, it does reduce jump height.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
POST BEFORE THIS ROOM GETS FLAMED!!!

Yes it is a good idea to try something different... If you don't you are not getting your money's worth.

I cannot explain the hate I have to give to people who are like "WTF are you talking about this is ********!!! noob!!! go play smash the right way!!!".

I know its not a great idea for competitive play... and it should never be involved in competitive play...but it is still a idea that could be used for your amusement...
if you get THAT serious over smash that you hate everyone that likes items because it can somehow in any way affect your competitive play then you need to go outside for awhile.

in other words...

DO SOMETHING THAT WILL GET AND YOU FRIENDS TO LAUGH AT...

seriously playing the same way over and over will bore me and im sure it will bore others... why do these kind of people get flamed on?

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
The problem with that is that in leads to many crazy chain grabs and such.
Falco gets an infinite on every character.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
Playing Brawl+ requires hacking, which not everyone is willing to do or has the tools to do.
You barely have to do ANYTHING to get Brawl+ working, and the process of installing the homebrew channel opens up a lot more options than Brawl+, and is completly safe

D

Deleted member

hell yeah it's B+ what you need, not even if you want moreserious etc. gameplay, you can also just have fun with the codes.

and the green is prob cuz of april fool's

person701

Smash Journeyman
Go play Brawl+
Notice how I hid the words "new standard" in the title. Just it's not bluntly obvious. I'm not hating on B+ either. Just from what I think/see (and others to) B+ doesn't look very good for a standard at the current time.

The problem with that is that in leads to many crazy chain grabs and such.
Falco gets an infinite on every character.
*face palm* Did you even play this before you posted? Falco's chaingrab is nerfed and can't be an extensive +100%. That whole 0.1 addition in the damage ratio does make a difference. Also, if this does buff/nerf others, just all the more reason to post it here: so others can test it since I have no one else willing to try this in my area.

Also, don't you need like, an SD card to mod your wii?
Yes, you do. And Twilight Princess. But according to a new expliot, it may be possible without TP. Still need that SD though...

Crow!

Smash Lord
Threads posting this idea were frequent early in Brawl's lifecycle. Since the release of modding tools, Brawl+ has taken the helm of these sorts of efforts. I suggest checking out Brawl+ as it is an even more extreme push in the faster direction than Heavy Brawl.

jokey665

Smash Ace
I found it to be quite fun. It was different.

Also, don't you need like, an SD card to mod your wii?

I don't have enough cash to get stuff like that.
Yes, you do. And Twilight Princess. But according to a new expliot, it may be possible without TP. Still need that SD though...
You can get a 2GB SD card for under 10 bucks online, slightly more instore. No Johns.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820180627
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7640699&st=sd+card&type=product&id=1134698297631

GameSystem

Smash Journeyman
I can find $10 dollars if I walk around the school lunchroom for 10 minutes. There are no excuses!

GuruKid

Smash Ace
Peeps will play whichever version of Brawl is more often played, which in this case is regular Brawl.

Good idea, and the options you suggested are quite interesting (I just tried it out) but I doubt this will go far; for now it just seems like regular Brawl is the thing to play.

JOE!

Smash Hero
notes ive found for this style:

Sonic: LoL Spring

Bowser/Charizard: Firebreath is evil as it can be angled and push people off stage

MK: Tornado is better >_>

Pit: recovery is rather odd now, you need all your jumps if you go lower than edge-grab range....

Yoshi: DJ didnt seem to change....fixed length?

Falcon is Fixed ( :falcon: YES!)

aextreme73

Smash Apprentice
seems fun
i dunno how it will help you for the tourney scene, but i guess with friends, it could break up the tier nonsense and have more freedom for other characters

person701

Smash Journeyman
notes ive found for this style:

Sonic: LoL Spring

Bowser/Charizard: Firebreath is evil as it can be angled and push people off stage

MK: Tornado is better >_>

Pit: recovery is rather odd now, you need all your jumps if you go lower than edge-grab range....

Yoshi: DJ didnt seem to change....fixed length?

Falcon is Fixed ( :falcon: YES!)
lol, that's a good one. Seen the spring before. D3s special is faster and shorter. MK nado... uh ya <_< unfortunatly.

rehab

Smash Journeyman
Supposedly Darkstalkers 3 is played in tourney on an optional speed setting at least 2 notches higher than the default, and people have a grand time at the most ridiculous pace I've ever seen in a fighting game. Giving extra options a try in tournament couldn't hurt, I just have no idea how it would get reconciled with the current standard.

person701

Smash Journeyman
Supposedly Darkstalkers 3 is played in tourney on an optional speed setting at least 2 notches higher than the default, and people have a grand time at the most ridiculous pace I've ever seen in a fighting game. Giving extra options a try in tournament couldn't hurt, I just have no idea how it would get reconciled with the current standard.
That's the "fear" here I believe. And this pace, is it faster than Melee? Cause if so, that's awsome.

JOE!

Smash Hero
hah, Warlock punch will kill pika at 20% with full DI, second jump and Up B done twice from THE CENTER OF FINAL DESTINATION

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
The TC does bring up an interesting idea in increasing the damage ratio. It does not jumble up the tier list like Heavy Brawl does, it simply makes matches go by faster due to shorter life expectency. Maybe if we changed the Damage Ratio, we might be able to bring Brawl back up to 4 stocks instead of three.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
What would be the point of increasing the damage ratio to make matches go quicker if you're just gonna add another stock?

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
What would be the point of increasing the damage ratio to make matches go quicker if you're just gonna add another stock?
For one thing, 4 stocks is a lot better than three stocks in doubles since life stealing actually becomes viable. But other than that, I guess for familiarity's sake. Three stocks is one of the things I like least about Brawl.

person701

Smash Journeyman
Funny how Pie man never reposted lol.
It's because I said I play Melee also. =D

For one thing, 4 stocks is a lot better than three stocks in doubles since life stealing actually becomes viable. But other than that, I guess for familiarity's sake. Three stocks is one of the things I like least about Brawl.
It's either that it's for nostaligic (can't spell) purposes, or it's because Melee is what pretty much set standard for Smash's competitive scene. I'm mean you look at it and it sparked 64 and then we have Brawl. 64 is played 5stock 10time, Melee is played 4-8, and Brawl was played 3-6 before the SBR had rules. Anyone else notice a trend?

hah, Warlock punch will kill pika at 20% with full DI, second jump and Up B done twice from THE CENTER OF FINAL DESTINATION
Buff for Ganon. ownt

The TC does bring up an interesting idea in increasing the damage ratio. It does not jumble up the tier list like Heavy Brawl does, it simply makes matches go by faster due to shorter life expectency. Maybe if we changed the Damage Ratio, we might be able to bring Brawl back up to 4 stocks instead of three.
Kinda and kinda not. Heavy Brawl did already kill some characters at low percents (sorry Sonic) but I decided to change that because Heavy Brawl with 1.0 damage already makes for rediculous CGs and stupid nigh inescapable "combos" (more less spamming the same move over and over and OVER. Like Shieks f-tilt).

It was put there to relieve that by making more knockback and the gravity already opens up some more combos because of it itself (the gravity). This option has been sitting here for ages, since Melee. But we never needed it (and we sure as **** don't need it now) 'cause it would either creat two problems: 1) Too much knockback making it almost combo-less similar to regular Brawl -or- 2) Too little knockback which would make it a one-move-spamfest.

lucha5

Banned via Warnings
its really fun and faster. some chars get nerfed like diddy and chars like marth get buffed abit. good idea

Top Bottom