• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Peach AT: Parasol Ledge Cancel

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I'm sure you've done it before.

You parasol and you don't receive any landing lag. It's a simple concept - you slide off a ledge while using your UpB and viola, no lag.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU4rlwYFCdE

Simple concept, not-so-simple execution.

It's a bit dicey spacing. Once you start the upb, float toward an edge aiming for the tip so Peach's feet just barely brush the floor. If successful, Peach hops of the ledge immediately - prepared with a fresh float. If performed incorrectly, you land on the platform with lag, or you miss the platform entirely and continue downward.

It can be done both going toward an edge, or backing off one.

It's slightly flawed in that you need a bit of time to actually float off an edge (though it has good enough knockback to give you that time). But it's useful in that it makes the Parasol much less prone to punishment, and making it a much more versatile move - especially on platform-littered stages.

Sah-wheat, no?

Canvasofgrey

Smash Ace
The concept of it is much like Zelda's Faroare's Wind cancel. Done close enough to the ledge, FW's momentum when pressed toward off the stage/platform will cause Zelda to just like, hop off the stage, refreshing her second jump and FW.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
I like.

I thought it was funny that immediately after showing the parasol ledge cancel you failed a Fair autocancel xD

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Obviously, I was comparing timings.

I know. Shuttup Praxis. :p

Villi

Smash Lord
Nice application. ^-^ iirc, it's substantially more difficult to do with the parasol closed. I didn't think to try with it open, but I could see it working as an occasional mixup.

$BONE$

Smash Ace
cool. im definitely using this.. this ups her combo potential big time. slap slap upb- upb out of shield. dair dair upair upb.

lets find out what moves it out prioritizes. it might help to be able to poke with it because he's constantly hovering above you waiting for you to make a mistake. also, it could make a newer and safer option out of shield if you master this. how fast does it start up again

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
i wonder how much horizontal range parasol has coz it'd be pretty cool to break marth or mk's fair on battlefield or wolf's wall of bair or sumtin even if they space correctly.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Ha ha, I remember this. Mike G told me this around the time brawl first came out and he was checking out Peach. I forgot all about it. Sweet reminder.

Xyless

Smash Master
Nice vid, you made it really well!!! I knew about ledge cancelling things but it never occured to me that it could be used for something like this.
Yeah, I really never stopped to think that you could use the ledge cancel in this way, especially with Peach getting her float back afterward.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Haha, pretty nice and useful to know. I like the fact that it instant KO's Metaknight as well.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
This is the "Dragon Punch" I was referring to. Characters like Marth, Mario, Peach, Bowser, and GnW all have fairly good dragon punches. It's extremely good, but if read, can result in large consequences. High risk, high reward move, be cautious about using this against experienced players, especially with big punishers.
Dragon Punching: Brawl has extremely low hitstun. Marth is able to use the invincibility frames his upB has on frame 1 to break out of MOST jab sequences. Also, since most Dragon Punches can be executed from the shield, this is an additional option for characters like Mario, Marth, and Bowser when boxing.
Parasol comes out frame 7. It looks to be too slow, but we should try things out now that lag is less of a worry.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
In Street Fighter, a dragon punch is a special activated by forward, down, diagonal, and punch, that comes super fast with high priority and can be used to interrupt approaches.

A common noob tactic with Ryu and Ken is to throw hadokens constantly until the opponent jumps at you, then dragon punch them as they come down on you with an attack (as dragon punch outprioritizes everything).

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
"noob tactic" meaning it's incredibly effective and an easy way to learn the game. It's possible to get good at SF by knowing those kinds of basics and figuring out all the other options and working them around that basic strategy.

But that's boring haha

(these days in SFIV, people are still spamming dragon punch on wake...)

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
"noob tactic" meaning it's incredibly effective and an easy way to learn the game. It's possible to get good at SF by knowing those kinds of basics and figuring out all the other options and working them around that basic strategy.

But that's boring haha

(these days in SFIV, people are still spamming dragon punch on wake...)
I don't play street fighter competitively, all I know is that it was the first thing I figured out that seemed to be an effective strategy when I was messing around, and a friend of mine said that all of the online Ryu's play that way too xD

PFANT

Smash Cadet
i bet you can do this with olimar's up b and other characters as well. nice fine, I also play street fighter like a complete noob

Top Bottom