• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Revolutionary Sheik Play Style

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Guys, I discovered a new way to play Sheik. In a large chatroom discussion with Champ, RyokoYaksa, Ankoku, NEO, Light, Captain Jack, and innocentroads, we discussed the Sheik metagame because we wanted to swiftly materialize our favorite character's full potential. With the use of innovation and discussion of different underused technical tricks, we discovered ways to improve Sheik that would definitely put her in A or even perhaps S tier. So here goes:

1. Yomi - fsmash
Too many Sheiks use ftilt as the main use for combos. However, since opponents will usually expect ftilts, they are easily powershielded or simply blocked and punished. The trick is to never use ftilts and approach with grabs, jabs, utilt, and dtilt. Basically, this is abusing yomi layer 2 because your moves will counter the option they use to beat the ftilt. Remember, this only works against good players because weak players will simply get hit by the ftilt. Therefore, the use of other moves is up to your discretion. The preferred move for yomi layer 2 is FSMASH.

Why? Because sidestep is an excellent defensive tactic used to avoid ftilt barrages. Fsmash will connect if they don't shield obviously, and if they DO sidestep, they will be hit by the second kick. Also, if you space fsmash correctly, you can't be punished even if it's blocked. This makes FSMASH sheik's number one approach move.

As for yomi layer 3... they only way to defeat the fsmash is by using counter moves like Marth/Ike's counter, or Toad. Sheik's fsmash demolishes even moves with super armor, so you hardly ever have to worry about yomi layer 3. Against the counter moves, you simply grab.

2. Naritake Step
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg61XaQvqMo&feature=channel_page
If you guys haven't seen innocentroads' tech skill videos, you really should. He invents many ground lock combos and different ways to maximize Sheik's damage. He's japanese, but he learned how to speak basic English, and even with his poor mastery of the language, we were all enlightened by many of the technical tips he gave us.

We saw the greatest potential in this move: The Naritake Step. It's basically Sheik's pseudo-wavedash. It's an incredibly fast pivot crawl that instantly turns you around faster than a dashing b-reverse needle cancel. Using this for spacing is so good. It will allow you to instantly space moves like Snake's tilts, DDD's grabs, Metaknight's tornado, and then some. There is no lag so you can punish with fsmash immediately.

This technique has been known about, but it's only now that we pro Sheiks have begun to implement it.

3. DACUS camping
You know how hard it is to punish Snake if he is continuously using his own DACUS, right? Well, it's imperfect, because if you space Snake correctly you can easily punish his dash attack or usmash. Sheik is a different story. If you keep using DACUS back and forth across a stage like Final Destination or Smashville, you have a nearly unpunishable maneuver. Sheik's usmash hitboxes stay out for most of the slide, and of course, usmash hits very hard, so there is enough shield stun that you won't really get shield grabbed if you are sliding.

Be sure to space this well, because if you DACUS and end up right next to someone, you will eat a KO move. This is best for midrange spacing... basically, if the chain and fsmash won't hit your opponent, they are in perfect range for DACUS camping.

4. The ultimate approach
The single greatest approach in the Sheik metagame is this: RAR b-reverse needle cancel fair. Basically, it's a double mindgame in a single, nearly lagless approach. When you RAR, your opponent is expecting a bair or a footstool, so they will usually try to beat those options with their usmash (all the characters' usmashes outprioritize Sheik's bair except Olimar's). However, you jump backwards when you RAR, meaning their usmash will whiff. After the whiff, you b-reverse, change your momentum to go towards the opponent, then fair. If you did the b-reverse fast enough, the fair should autocancel. If they block it, just fsmash immediately since it is unbeatable.

Now, using these new options, you have a complete game of Yomi. Of course, combos and stuff are useful, but basically now you have a Drephen/Sirlin-esque playstyle of total simplicity. You only need a few moves to win, and basically if you do anything else, you are only limiting your effectiveness. The only problem is having the tech skill consistent enough to pull this off. Here are the options for the playstyle.

Useless: ftilt (too predictable)
Long range: charge needles. (If your opponent has a projectile, simply crouch it.)
Mid range: DACUS camping (unpunishable)
Close range: Fsmash (unpunishable)
Approaching/Aggression: RAR B-reverse cancel fair (unpunishable if followed by fsmash)
Yomi layer 3 against Peach, Ike, Marth, and Kirby after absorbing Peach: Grab
Yomi layer 7: ftilt (only use this move if all your options are being predicted)

Of course, it is possible to play "too perfectly." I remember a quote from Mew2King that said Azen is too predictable because he always does the "Perfect thing." So even if you are perfectly DACUS camping, you can be countered by a stupid projectile such as Bowser's fire breath. Your DACUS can even be stopped by FLUDD, which means you will get counter attacked with the cape. Therefore, this is where our own individual playstyles come in. If someone actually does find a way to beat this nearly perfect playstyle, you need to adapt.

The only flaw in Sheik is, of course, her long range game. Some projectiles are superior to needles and can hit a crouching Sheik, such as Pit's arrow when angled correctly. It took us a while before we could defeat this strategy...

Then it hit us like a wall of bricks.

5. Ledge Camping
Basically, planking. If your opponent (a Pit, most likely) is camping on the other side of the stage and needles/DACUS won't connect, just go to the ledge. If they are going to play stupid, then you have to resort to this too. However, Pit can shoot a circular arrow off the top of the screen and hit you. In this case, you simply time a chain hog immediately before the arrow comes down to hit you. However, in this position, you are at a disadvantage since you can't do any damage to pit...

Which makes Pit the #1 Sheik counter because of his long range game. In this case, you just counter pick a stage like Yoshi's Island or Battlefield where he can't camp as well, and DACUS goes all the way across.

I haven't covered every weakness and counter, but basically, there are no players good enough right now to beat this strategy. We invited Mew2King to the chatroom to analyze what we discovered, and we asked him if Metaknight could beat it, but he simply left the chatroom to practice the new discoveries. I suppose that's just how good Sheik is.

So, any thoughts? This will revolutionize the character forever.

Voyeur

Smash Journeyman
Summary: Don't use Ftilt. Spam DACUS. Use Fsmash at all costs. Use really technical and fancy moves to approach. All discussed by Champ, RyokoYaksa, Ankoku, NEO, Light, Captain Jack, and innocentroads and yourself. Three of which don't main Sheik. Two are Japanese metagame. With a Theory master in there. So, yeah....and Mew2King was left speechless?

well what can I say. I better get right on this and throw everything out the window and learn this new style. I mean, nothing says Win like being completely radical am I right? :]

I'll have to hit up Champ and him and I can just perfect this new and awesome style. Sheik is going to be SS+ Class. now the second S has a meaning.

props =D

I mean, lets ignore the fact today is April First. This is legit guys, thank you!

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
It works lol, trust me. I have never lost a match ever since we discovered this.

I even changed matches that I already lost in the past to wins.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
I tried this on lvl 9s just now and I'm sorry I doubted it. I JV 4 stocked 3/4 times I played. I played about 15 matches and it was soooo much ****. I had to use the old style to play against pit =( but I still won.

suggestion: when you're edgeguarding make sure to b-reverse twice before every fair. It really ****s with your opponents spacing and makes getting fairs off too easy.

b-reversed true pivot needles. This is simply too good. nuff said.

true pivot to pivot boost grab. Once you master this you're basically wavedashing around your opponent. It also makes grabbing MKs way too easy making that matchup 55-45 at worst sheik's favor! Sheik is a legit MK counter if you can master this!!!!!!!
April fools =P & <3 Chok

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
I'd like to see matches of this playstyle in action against good opponents. Are there any available?
This is a new development.

However, it is doubtful that any of these videos would be put up since they would be very repetitive and no one would want to watch them. Not even you. Trust me.

however u can watch choknater vs Sand-Trap on YouTube, which is a pretty good match of me using the playstyle very effectively

Rathy Aro: Man, that was a good tip about b-reversing twice. I tried b-reversing 4 times and I edge guarded a METAKNIGHT, which is really hard to do otherwise.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Why would you assume that?

Man... just because it's April 1st doesn't mean I'm not being serious...

Try this out. It could drastically improve your Sheik game.

Leafplayer452

Smash Journeyman
Sorry...but on this day I never take anything serious but yea..I read this and its very good...now maybe I can take some of this stuff like Naritake Step

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
This is a new development.

However, it is doubtful that any of these videos would be put up since they would be very repetitive and no one would want to watch them. Not even you. Trust me.

however u can watch choknater vs Sand-Trap on YouTube, which is a pretty good match of me using the playstyle very effectively

Rathy Aro: Man, that was a good tip about b-reversing twice. I tried b-reversing 4 times and I edge guarded a METAKNIGHT, which is really hard to do otherwise.
I use 4 b-reversed dairs to gimp MKs all the time. Once you figure out how good dair is with needle canceling that matchup isn't even fun anymore.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
He is the best Sheik player in the world right now. Yes, he plays Brawl, I got to play online with him when he visited America for a short while. He 2-stocked me in a ditto.

stealth3654

Smash Lord
Very cool stuff. I actually use a lot of this already in my Sheik game without even knowing it until I read this post :p.

Can you post a link so I can see this in action?

Edit: While I'm at it, why do our names keep on changing colors, and why are all of the Sheik threads stickied?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Captain Jack no like meh? .. ....... T_T ~runs away crying~
It's okay. I still like you.

Very cool stuff. I actually use a lot of this already in my Sheik game without even knowing it until I read this post :p.

Can you post a link so I can see this in action?
Nah, haha! Your eyes would burn.
Edit: While I'm at it, why do our names keep on changing colors, and why are all of the Sheik threads stickied?
You'll find out soon enough.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
You know the arcade direction commands right?

basically look at your numpad

where 8 is up, 4 is left, 6 is right, 2 is down

The command is 661, and i believe the 1 has to be tilted only slightly, but it's still a fast input.

It's basically really hard to do and I can't do it lol. It's a fox trot or perhaps just a dash canceled into a reverse crawl.

Anyway, this thread can be closed lol.

APRIL FOOLS!

(DACUS camping is too legit LOOOOOL!)

chainmaillekid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHAINMAILLEKID
3DS FC
1805-2525-8280
I always get chewed out by good players ( not sheik mains ) for not using Ftilt...

"LOL NOOB, Cant you Ftilt?"

>.>

This doesn't seem too different my developing playstyle. Exept of course, Im not that good yet :p

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
Okay, I actually got my hopes up. Choknater... you deserve death. <,< (j/k)

BTW.... how do you perform RAR?

Leafplayer452

Smash Journeyman

The command is 661, and i believe the 1 has to be tilted only slightly, but it's still a fast input.

It's basically really hard to do and I can't do it lol. It's a fox trot or perhaps just a dash canceled into a reverse crawl.

APRIL FOOLS!

I knew, I believe I was the first to point it out....lolbut in all seriousness does Captain Jack really does play Brawl Sheik?

darkNES386

Smash Lord

APRIL FOOLS!

I'm pretty sure this is what any character can do. It takes lots of patience and is truly an AT.

A) Do this. A foxtrot and then as it's finishing press the same direction again and then the reverse direction. Your character will pivot (NOT TURN or slide) and foxtrot the opposite way.

B) Once you have that down, now comes the "hard part" foxtrot, press foward again, then ever so softly press the opposite direction just past center. Your character will retreat then turn around and be standing in the neutral.

A) can be followed with a forward smash, or dash attack, or specials(?)
B) can be followed with anything since you're technically in the neutral position. Unless you have the perfect timing down of that one (if any frames) during the pivot... you're going to have to learn how to turn without executing a second foxtrot.

Sonic mains can cheat and use a front special followed by a shield. We also can slide pretty far. This is something that we'll be focusing on more and more too as time goes on I'm sure. We just need to get more discussion on it.

Original thread complients of Phanna:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=162220

A in video form:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4tmLsflA_c&feature=related

B in video form:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X9oqJEXYMM

lil cj

Smash Lord
This makes me wanna use Sheik more
I just started using Sheik and few months ago
...after using just Zelda...i knew there was more to Sheik
She seemed too good to be so low on the tier list

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
I'm pretty sure this is what any character can do. It takes lots of patience and is truly an AT.

A) Do this. A foxtrot and then as it's finishing press the same direction again and then the reverse direction. Your character will pivot (NOT TURN or slide) and foxtrot the opposite way.

B) Once you have that down, now comes the "hard part" foxtrot, press foward again, then ever so softly press the opposite direction just past center. Your character will retreat then turn around and be standing in the neutral.

A) can be followed with a forward smash, or dash attack, or specials(?)
B) can be followed with anything since you're technically in the neutral position. Unless you have the perfect timing down of that one (if any frames) during the pivot... you're going to have to learn how to turn without executing a second foxtrot.

Sonic mains can cheat and use a front special followed by a shield. We also can slide pretty far. This is something that we'll be focusing on more and more too as time goes on I'm sure. We just need to get more discussion on it.

Original thread complients of Phanna:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=162220

A in video form:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4tmLsflA_c&feature=related

B in video form:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X9oqJEXYMM

ahhhhh! thank yoU! i'll be sure to practice that.

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
Possibly the worst april fools ever

and correction on whoever said it, sheik is one of my two mains newb

good game

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
get ***** people who actually got fooled by this

obvious joke but i had fun with it

DACUS camping is too legit

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
What are you implying? I did read the whole thread.
Well no... I take it back. You could have read it when the prank was still in play (wasn't thinking lol). When I read it Chok said "April Fools!!!" -_- (and I hate you Chok... I actually thought we had a legit approach.) -_-

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Lol you can go ahead approach with fsmash if you want

sheik is all about feeling your approach, usually something will work. We have RAR bair, autocancel fair, shff fair, dash attack, grab, DACUS, ftilt, dtilt, jab, dsmash, fsmash, even nair...

all those options can be used for APPROACH

all are punishable. but sometimes you have to take that risk because many times your approaches will connect, and many times your opponent will react too slow to punish. sheik is so fast you can get away with these things. that's how i've been playign sheik sicne the very beginning of brawl. sheik, like metaknight, can simply go beyond human reaction time with her speed

chainmaillekid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHAINMAILLEKID
3DS FC
1805-2525-8280
Lol you can go ahead approach with fsmash if you want

sheik is all about feeling your approach, usually something will work. We have RAR bair, autocancel fair, shff fair, dash attack, grab, DACUS, ftilt, dtilt, jab, dsmash, fsmash, even nair...

all those options can be used for APPROACH

all are punishable. but sometimes you have to take that risk because many times your approaches will connect, and many times your opponent will react too slow to punish. sheik is so fast you can get away with these things. that's how i've been playign sheik sicne the very beginning of brawl. sheik, like metaknight, can simply go beyond human reaction time with her speed
Does brawl have any approaches that ARN'T punishable?

You make it sound like sheik is alone in this.

Top Bottom