• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The NEW Kirby Combo/String Thread!

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
The NEW Kirby Combo Thread!

Alright, the other combo thread has been dead so long most of you probably don't know it even exists, so I decided to make a new one (that and the OP isn't updated at all. Ever). I'm going to hopefully grab whatever combo info we may have in the other one and paste it into here. We could have a running discussion about what combos we do out of certain moves, as well as just post all-around or character-specific combos that I'll add to the OP.

Basic Combos:

Gonzo Combo (vs spacies, Falcon and Bowser): (string)

fthrow->uair->fthrow->uair->fsmash

Gonzo Combo (everyone else): (string)

fthrow->uair->reverse utilt->bair->bair

Inhale Combo (string)

Dthrow->utilt->optional spotdodge->inhale

Feel free to post any combos!

First discussion topic: Utilt

Update Log
4/5/09: Thread started, Gonzo+Inhale combos posted, Utilt discussion started

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Idk what you mean by that
After you dthrow someone, they usually either jump out or attack (usually dair). If they attack after the first dthrow, then you can regrab, but if they jump, they'll escape. As for the second dthrow, they'll probably repeat the attack (or perhaps airdodge). The utilt is never guaranteed out of the dthrow with proper smash DI, and come to think of it, final cutter probably has too much starting lag to combo. So no, not a combo.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
This was mentioned in the f-air discussion on the move-set thread, so I figured I would look into it. Sure enough...

1st or 2nd hit of fair -> buffered grab

This isn't a combo per-say because the opponent can DI away, but if they aren't expecting it, it could prove to be quite effective. Also note: its better to try to start the string using the first hit. If you are too close after the second hit, they can footstool you.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
Unless you're against less experienced Brawlers.
Or if you play Brawl+

:D

uair --> aerial hammer ftw

utilt as combo starter: utilt --> utilt, utilt --> bair, utilt --> read&react, utilt --> inhale etc etc

EDIT:
haha uair fsmash. is that ever guaranteed? sounds sweet
that's the gonzo combo for ya

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
The Gonzo combo is sex, no argument can be made against it.

If you're a nub you can go for fthrow-uair-dthrow-utilt. It's what I used to do when I really, really sucked, still did a nice chunk of damage.

Phantomwake

Smash Journeyman
One of my personal favorites is

dthrow => utilt => nair

if they DI poorly / you drift your nair with them you can grab them again as soon as you hit the ground thanks to nairs lack of landing lag

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Anyone try to practice U-Tilt > B-Air > Get close to your foe and the ground > U-Air > Repeat. See if it's worth doing, so far I'm making it work on people who hasn't seen how this works.

DFat2

Smash Journeyman
Not to burst your bubble but, F-Throw> U-Air> F-Throw on Falco is escape able. Smash DI does wonderful things.

But, I've found that U-air completely Raeps Characters like ROB, DK, Captain Failure. U-tilt > U-air until they either hit you or air dodge=Raep.

There aren't many 'Combos' in brawl : / Inescapable ones anyways. You should go out and try to better your killing options, bad habits and Shizz. Combos are good, but they don't win the match alone. What good will it do to get your opponent up to 110% if you can't capitalize with a F-smash or a Fresh B-air. If your opponent sees it coming, don't count on it connecting.

But, since the Thread is Combo discussion:

Like Viper suggested, U-air is a Good combo starter. It's defensive/offensive move if used while having your back to them while landing. You need to get the hang of it, but it's pretty simple to keep up until you get the hit.

Same goes for U-tilt and D-air (in the combo starting sense). Given the limited hit stun in this game, I consider 2 consecutive hits (excluding jabs, snakes f-tilt and Double hit F-smashes) combos. But, that's me.

But, I love the whole concept of discussing Combo's Lion dude, but I'd hate to see the discussion being limited to it.

:p

Asdioh

Not Asidoh

If you're a nub you can go for fthrow-uair-dthrow-utilt. It's what I used to do when I really, really sucked, still did a nice chunk of damage.
You mean if your opponent is a nub? ...it has nothing to do with how good you are, haha. I'd go for that every time if it worked.

Not to burst your bubble but, F-Throw> U-Air> F-Throw on Falco is escape able. Smash DI does wonderful things.
Every character in the game can SDI the Uair and get out of range for a reverse utilt or regrab. And probably out of range of ANY followup, I'm pretty sure they can jump after the SDI'ed Uair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk2z0vPy3QY against a Ganondorf that didn't know how to escape the "gonzo combo"

I start each of his stocks on Brinstar with a Fthrow->uair followup, depending on the angle of the stage and stuff.

4:00 basic fthrow->uair->reverse utilt->bair->bair
4:45 fthrow->uair->reverse utilt->nair (another utilt->acid->stone for a 10 second stock :p)
5:00 fthrow->uair->dtilt->dash attack

As you can see, stuff oftentimes happens differently, and that's why I never really liked the idea of a combo thread. It's all about improvising for me.

Anyway, Fair->dtilt->fair->dtilt etc. discuss

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
There are almost no combos in this game. Most of Kirby's stuff can be SDI'd out of.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Does anyone else ever use utilt>utilt>bair>bair>fsmash? It works best on people who weigh about as much as lucario. I don't think it's guaranteed, but if we mix it up with the other billion utilt>bair followups...:)

Also, I think ff'd uair to fsmash could work at lower percents...I really shouldn't post that yet, but I'll probably forget if I don't.

DFat2

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone else ever use utilt>utilt>bair>bair>fsmash? It works best on people who weigh about as much as lucario. I don't think it's guaranteed, but if we mix it up with the other billion utilt>bair followups...:)

Also, I think ff'd uair to fsmash could work at lower percents...I really shouldn't post that yet, but I'll probably forget if I don't.

What point of SDI don't you understand?

If it's a Multi hit move, It'll probably get Smash DI'd out of. If your opponent doesn't know how to do it, you're one lucky Son Bish. Teach your friends how to do it/learn how to do it and look at the difference.

There is a reeeealy old thread that lists all the true combos in the Game. I think that Kirby's only true combo is F-Throw > U-air.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I find combo threads sort of funny since they usually degenerate into people listing strings of unlikely-to-connect-attacks that are named after themself... and also people saying that there are no combos in Brawl, or that all these combos only work if the opponent is a Lvl 1 CPU.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
Its true, there are very few combos in this game. A1 said to add strings too, though. Sure they can be SDI'd out of, but they can still come in handy if you know you can do them given the correct circumstances. I don't think we should be referring to them as "combos" though. If someone new to Kirby comes here and sees all these "combos" they could get the wrong impression (or if they are new to the game and think these are combos, imagine how frustrated they will be when they're on the receiving end of a true combo that they can't get out of). If its a combo, call it a combo. If not, call it a string. If you insist they are combos, then there really isn't any point to this thread. Its a lie :urg:.

That being said...

Kirby's u-tilt rocks for starting things. I don't have anything new to add though... How practical would u-tilt -> u-tilt -> u-tilt -> reversed up-b sliding away be?

Edit: And t1MmY answers before I do, lol. I've really got to spend less time going over my posts...

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I find combo threads sort of funny since they usually degenerate into people listing strings of unlikely-to-connect-attacks that are named after themself... and also people saying that there are no combos in Brawl, or that all these combos only work if the opponent is a Lvl 1 CPU.
But The Asdioh Combo is the real deal.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496

I find that works more often than the Uair>Fsmash variation of the Gonzo.

Also, A1, you should change everything in the OP and list them as strings, since every single one is escapable. Then again, pretty much everything Kirby has is escapable. The closest things to "true" combos we have are Fthrow>Uair and Dair>Footstool, and even those aren't really combos.

Also, Dtilt>Ftilt is a useful string. To be fair though, Ftilt goes well with almost everything.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
IIRC, you can jump out of FThrow

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
If they smash DI the U-air away, just run and regrab, it usually works, and if they spot dodge just learn to time the f-smash.
If the smash DI it up then fastfallers can be u-tilted.

Radium88

Smash Lord
This works usually more for opponents at 0%, or a low % if they are heavies. They can DI out of it but if you get them, it can be a 0% to 40-50% combo.

Fthrow -> utilt -> (might need to move into them for lighter ones) dthrow -> utilt or usmash

This was probably posted on the other thread but I just started reading Kirby threads recently and my friend who use to main as Kirby told me about this.

Also, for Kirby teams - grab button spam and just keep pummeling then one kirby does a hammer or fsmash once they reach a high percentage.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Footstool to stone worked so well earlier today, like when they fall to the ground unable to tech. Doesn't seem to be very escapable, but I only used it once.

Yusaburu

Smash Rookie
Asdioh Combo is the work of Satan, even if it isn't a true combo. o.O

I'm not sure about how well this string works, I'd need to test it more, but what about Fthrow => Jump => aerial Hammer at about mid range percentages? If done quickly it might be an okay string, but I haven't really studied it enough to know. o.o It's worked once or twice though when I tried it at the right percentages. =/

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I always do this, and no matter who my opponent is, they fall for it when they're close enough.

ledgehopped dair (no fastfall) > utilt(s) until out of utilt reach > bair > edgeguarding time

And no, ledgehopped dairs are NOT predictable if you know what you're doing and don't just jump into your utilt-friendly opponent... In fact, dairs themselves can't be predicted at a 100% ratio by anyone, so don't discount probabilities. ;)

edit: As soon as the dair hits, it's all inescapable. My opponents can never smashDI away from any of those things, no matter how much they try, or how many times I do it to them.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
"reverse utilt" simply means you turn around right before using up tilt.

Like Fthrow->uair->reverse utilt...

After the fthrow and uair, the opponent will be out of Kirby's range for utilt. So you turn around quickly and utilt, and that's how you reach them..

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
The best combo is the "Mew2King Combo"

F-throw > U-air > Reverse U-tilt > F-air > F-air > D-air > U-air > D-air > U-air > D-tilt > Jab > Grab Release > Full Charged Eruption

This works best on fast fallers, but you can get it on floaties too if they don't Smash DI the Jab.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master

F-throw > U-air > Reverse U-tilt > F-air > F-air > D-air > U-air > D-air > U-air > D-tilt > Jab > Grab Release > Full Charged Eruption

This works best on fast fallers, but you can get it on floaties too if they don't Smash DI the Jab.
I didn't get the joke here at all.

Radium88

Smash Lord

I'm a total n00b. Is this combo for real? Because if it is, I'll try it out.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
No, it isn't. You can't do a grab release if you haven't grabbed your opponent :). The first three moves in this "combo" are legitimate, though. Yay Gonzo for proving that combos DO exist in Brawl! :laugh:

Top Bottom