• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucario vs. Diddy (8) EXPORT

Timbers

check me out
Diddy Kong

Matchup:

55:45

General info:

Aura spheres and lucario's increasing strength make up for the bananas. It's pretty even on the ground and even in the air somewhat, diddy's aerials are very good too and can compete with lucarios every once in a while. Lucario has a very short trip animation, meaning if you get naner locked lucario will recieve twice the damage than that of a regular character from the banana throws (the throws will decay though but im still gonna mention it.) Diddy has trouble killing, and lucario will not die until 140 each stock if he has good DI, and lucario is retarted at those percentages. My biggest problem fighting lucarios has always been getting the kill, I can never approach them for that final hit and then i get fsmashed at like 70 and die when they're at 180 XD

What to avoid:

Bananas...the most broken projectile in the game. Don't let a Diddy banana lock you, whether it be near a wall or on a flat surface. You only take a small amount of damage each time you're hit, but the damage piles up REAL FAST. Also, DO NOT ALLOW BANANA PRESSURE AFFECT YOU. Losing concentration can lead to deadly mistakes. If you can, keep a Diddy away from his bananas. Most Diddy's don't feel comfortable without a banana and not having a banana robs them of approaches.

Learn how to catch bananas. Learn how to Z-catch and Z-drop bananas. Banana tricks will NOT win this match, as Diddy's glidetoss is far more suited for tricks than Lucario's. It is recommended that you do NOT throw a banana back at a Diddy unless it hits, because all of Diddy's aerials allow him to catch a banana very easily. Lucario has some decent banana setups, but you must learn how to use them correctly. Bananas->tilts/fsmash/grabs are pretty good. Don't rely on banana games...Lucario doesn't need them.

Also, learn to recover from banana trips properly. You have three options: standing up in place, get up attack, or roll away. Do not use the same option every time. Also, you can time your invincibility frames and get up slowly so the Diddy cannot chain bananas throws at you. Mix it up.

How to win:

Powershield, don't fsmash much because you're gonna get banana-***** if it doesn't connect, play with a good air game, and use the bananas well.

If you get a banana, throw it on the other side of the stage from where the other banana is, preventing Diddy from getting both without going through you.
Also I gotta say that this matchup probably lends itself to whoever can play more patiently. If the Lucario is well spaced and merely avoids setups and doesn't jump too much, Diddy doesn't have a safe approach. You know he's going to either throw a nanner, popgun, or side + B. If he runs in close he's probably going to spotdodge before throwing the nanner in his hand.

But the thing is his approach game is really stunted if you learn his patterns on throwing nanners. If he can't land them he has *no* approach and has to find a way to get them. Lucario has great defensive tools in his jabs, utilt, fsmash, and aurasphere.
Helpful tips:

The only way to do well in this matchup is to play a Diddy a few times to get a feel of how bananas are best used. As far as things Lucario can do with them, I'd suggest just throwing them behind you, down at your feet so if he tries to grab you he trips, or upwards. Don't just toss them back at Diddy.

Stages:

Avoid stages with excessively long flat areas. Flat stages give Diddy freedom with his banana combos and setups. Avoid FD and Smashville. If the stage has a corner, DO NOT HANG AROUND THE CORNER. Stages with platforms or slopes can severely hinder a Diddy. Yoshi's Island is the best starter, and many Diddy's hate this stage. BF is an okay starter if Yoshi's is not available. Stages recommended for CP include Rainbow Cruise, Norfair and Delphino. Frigate is decent, but I would only recommend it if you're not comfortable with Norfair or Rainbow Cruise.
Your prefered neutral list should look something like this:
1. Yoshi's Island
2. Battlefield
3. Final Destination
4. Smashville

A counter pick list would probably be this:

1. Norfair
2. Brinstar
3. Jungle Japes
4. Frigatae Orpheon

Disclaimer: This thread is made for the sole purpose of keeping matchup discussing clean and organized. If people wish to discuss a past matchup, they may do so in this thread without cluttering the current discussion.

Top Bottom