• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"The Zone" by HugS; Weekly Falcon Zone Discussion Week 4 - Wario

Iwan

Smash Ace
First off, for those of you who don't know what "The Zone" is, refer to HugS recently typed blog on AiB:

http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=16108

For those of you who want to jump straight into the Weekly Zone Discussion, skip this next (rather long) read. All things weekly discussion will be typed in this color. chyeah.

What's A Zone?

HugS, for those of you who don't know, is arguably one of the best smashers in the country...definitely one of, if not the best, Melee samus' in the U.S. He also dabbles in brawl, but essentially he knows his stuff very well.

Here's the blog, for those of you who'd rather read it here than follow a link:

"Here I am, trying to explore the deeper aspects of smashing that go beyond hitting your opponent and letting them die off the stage. Here, I will attempt to help you all acknowledge and understand the meaning of "Zones" in smash, and how you can exploit them, in either game. However, for the purpose of this Blog, I will be using mainly Brawl examples.

In melee, I would refer to a thing called the "shiek zone". It was this triangle formation that Shiek created when she jumped in the air and needled. You could either be outside her zone, or directly under. Anything in between would lead to her doing some real damage. So I got to thinking...

I was recently speaking to DEHF about my theory on zones. I said to him "I need to find falco's 'zone'". He asked what I meant, and I explained.

So that begs the question. What is a Zone?

A zone can be good, bad, or neutral, and depends on many variables. A zone in this blog isn't so much a metaphorical sense of doing well: like feeling you are "In the zone". I don't mean it that way. I actually mean it in a spacial way; literally the space you occupy with your character. These zones vary greatly between characters, so I couldn't possibly go into each one without going into extreme detail. But I will use some examples.

So firstly, what is a Zone?

For the purposes of this explanation, I will always be using ROB, and my opponents' characters will vary depending on the example I want to use.

There are three types of zones.

Your Neutral zone
Your Bad Zone
Your Good zone

The neutral zone is just the space you occupy when nothing bad, nor good, can happen to you or your opponent.
Example: Vs Falco my neutral zone would be the ledge. Falco can hardly do a thing to me while I'm on the ledge, and I can hardly do a thing to him if he's on the opposite side of Battlefield, on a platform. We are said to be in our neutral zones.

The purpose for occupying a neutral zone is to recharge your shield, charge a DK punch, charge Samus's blast, etc. To place yourself into your neutral zone is to move into a place where you cannot be harmed at the expense of not being able to harm your opponent.

The Bad Zone. This is relative to the person playing. Since I am writing this, I am referring to my own bad zones as ROB. So vs Falco again, there are several bad zones. Directly in front of Falco is a bad zone as I could get ***** by lasers. About 45 degrees directly above falco is another bad zone. My aerials would not stop his nairs or uair attempts.

Note: being in a bad zone does not mean you are screwed, it just means you will have a hard time capitalizing on anything while in this zone. You have a high likelihood of not being successful in most attempts made in this zone.

The purpose for occupying your bad zones is to get *****. So what I'm saying is, learn your bad zones, and stay away from them. Be in your good zones.

The Good Zone - Like the Bad Zone, being in a good zone doesn't necessarily mean you are untouchable. It just means you are at an advantage, relative to the match at hand. A good zone is obviously being in a spot where you have an advantage over your opponent, in spacial terms.

I recently discovered a good zone in one of my hardest match ups, and it has improved my game in that match up like you wouldn't believe. I realized that my bad zone vs DDD was the center of the stage, the middle 33%. If I was anywhere in that 33%, I left myself open to a chain grab. If I was in the right or left 33%, i had to make sure that DDD was in the middle 33%, and that I was closest to the ledge. This assures that if I did get chaingrabbed, I would only receive 1-2 grabs max. By understanding my good zones, and bad zones, I managed to employ insane amounts of stage control in the match up. I REFUSED to land anywhere in that middle 33% when the DDD was even remotely on ground defense.

I would see him in his good zone and I would say to myself "Don't fight it, he already won, retreat". You see how this knowledge works?

So how do you find your zones?
Well, that comes with experience and practice. Some zones are not so apparent.

For example, vs Falco again, I said that being anywhere in front of him is a bad zone. However, being just slightly outside of his dash attack range can be turned into a good zone. You still get rocked by lasers (bad zone initially), but, it's the only zone where you can capitalize on an illusion. If he does illusion, he just put himself into his bad zone, and you can roll back and effectively put the falco into your good zone (Dsmash, grab, you name it). If you did not space properly, and he is not vulnerable, then you are both in your neutral zones after his illusion, and approaching after the opening wasn't created will then put you in your Bad zone. Do you see how this works?

Finding your zone is a process of movements, calibration, and internalization. You must move around the stage, calibrate how it works, then internalize it. You must internalize your zones. Many people neglect to understand this. They are too busy worrying about techs, landing hits, and fighting their opponents. That is, they lack an understanding of how vital it is to know precisely where you and your opponent are standing. And not just WHERE they are standing, but what it actually MEANS.

People have made claims as to how good my spacing is. And I'm not going to lie, it's fantastic. However, spacing is just a tool that aids me in what I'm really doing.

I'm constantly trying to put myself in my good zone, and making sure you remain in your bad zone. That's what proper zoning is all about. Zoning is the big picture, spacing is just your little pal that helps you take advantage of it.

I hope you guys can implement this form of thought into your game. Perhaps you can all understand that this game can be played without camping. You don't need to be as far away from your opponent at all times.

You can be hard to hit while being only inches away. Think about it, understand it, apply it.

And to those who think this is obvious, maybe you'll reread this the next time you play someone and think "****, this guy is so hard to hit"."

The Weekly Falcon Zone Discussion Thread Week 1 - Metaknight

Good Zones vs Metaknight: anywhere within "boxing" range using jabs, jabgrabs, and well spaced tilts. Also being underneath metaknight while he's on a platform, so you can land up airs or Usmash/Utilt/UpB..

Bad Zonesvs Metaknight: around the ledge of a stage and on platforms; being near the ledge will get you gimped, and being on a platform is asking to be juggled in the air. Speaking of "the air", that's also a bad zone for falcon here; although falcon's air game is his forte, try and stay grounded against metaknight.

Stage Zonesvs Metaknight: Trying to stay anywhere near the middle of the stage is probably the best bet against metaknight. Being near the ledge isn't safe. Holding the middle can keep you alive a lot longer as opposed to rushing down a metaknight near the edge of the stage.

The Weekly Falcon Zone Discussion Thread Week 2 - Snake

Good Zones vs Snake: In the air; take flight against Snake, and use falcon's quick aerial game against Snake's slower, more predictable one. Punish his aerials during their ending animation to make him think twice about throwing them out next time. Knee his recovery EVERY time; it's a free knee. Falcon has a VERY good aerial zone against snake. Take advantage of that through out the match.

Being Underneath Snake is also a good zone; use up air and back air to take advantage of any slow ending aerials he throws out, and also use those two to punish air dodges.

Bad Zones vs Snake: Pretty much anywhere on the ground. Because of Snake's C4 and planted explosives/grenades/nikita, he can make almost any stage a hazard to traverse on. As for up close in his face, try and stay away unless you can DEFINITELY get the jabgrab on him; his Ftilt is full of priority, range, and power...and his tilts are all extremely quick and very strong.

Again, try and stay "in the air up there" against snake. Doing otherwise makes this already tough match up even more difficult.

Stage Zones vs Snake: Choosing particular stage zones vs Snake is fairly difficult, because he can take a good zone for falcon (such as being under a platform to set up Utilt, knee, Up b, or Uair), plant C4 or an explosive, and suddenly make it a bad zone for CF. Basically, he completely flips some zones on their head because of his crazy stage control through use of grenades and explosives, and because of that, it's important to note that while the usual "good falcon zones" (underneath someone, below a platform, in the air, jabgrab range, etc) still apply here, be wary and keep an eye out for Snake's many projectiles.

They quickly turn good stage zones into bad ones.

The Weekly Falcon Zone Discussion Thread: Week 3 - Marth

Good Zones vs Marth: In front of marth, or as some would say, within 'boxing range", is a good zone for falcon. While dancing blade is quick, falcon's jab has it beat by one frame...so jabjabgrab still works extremely well. Being underneath marth is also a great zone for falcon; Being underneath him while he's on a platform, or especially when Marth is in the air means an easy up air, up tilt, or (if it IS a platform) knee.

Bad Zones vs Marth: Pretty much anywhere around marth's tipper range. That sword of his was made to keep you out of his face and to second guess how much range it actually has. Being "mid distance" in front of marth is usually a bad idea, because his options open up: Shield breaker, dancing blade, Dtilt, fair, etc....he has a lot of things to mess you up with in that "medium" distance away from him and his sword. So either stay in close, or bait and punish.

Stage Zones vs Marth: Any neutral stage is usually a good stage against marth, because at the very least, he's a character that doesn't have a projectile. That at least opens up your possible options on a neutral stage. On a neutral stage, your typcial good and bad zones apply. As for stages with platforms, it's a wierd ratio. Marth (and any character with a sword for that matter), usually have an advantage on stages with platforms; get stuck on one and their sword can do some damage. Falcon however, also loves platform stages. It lets us utilize up tilt and up air, while also giving us an easier knee opportunity. Lastly, falcon dive is more effective on stages with platforms.

Since being below marth is a good zone for falcon, stages with platforms are a good idea.

Currently Discussing - Wario

Wario is an intersting match up. Being up close and in his face is a good zone for falcon, considering jabjabgrab actually leads into lots of damage because of the grab release options at out disposal. However, wario has ridiculous air control and can be "hard to catch", if you will. For this reason, I'll let the people who actually know what they're talking about (masterdrenin comes to mind) share their opinions, as opposed to me spouting off on something I have no clue about LOL.

Wario.
Go.

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
well I think a lot of people tend to forget that Falcon has FK and raptor boost in terms of projectiles, cause lets face it....... Falcon is so badass that he IS his own projectile.

you zone these area's as your total range in any scenario I think, in fact I always keep in mind the range of FK.

Anything out of FK range is a bad zone in my opinion, unless you opponent is above you, then your in a good position for a baited Uair.

I think Falcon's best place is right next to his opponents , in jab range, mainly because his "boxing" game as Kadaj likes to call it, is one of the best in the game.

I also think Ftilt range is good also in terms of good zones, anything past that is pretty dumb.

good read.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
I agree with Ayaz about the ftilt/jab zone, and I think the opponent being above Falcon (maybe about his jump height) is a good zone as well. You can use uthrow or raptor boost to get them there, and this allows uair to be most effective, and Falcon Dive can also be abused if your opponent airdodges. The whole zoning thing seems really interesting to me, I remember doing that with Marth earlier today and winning a match, like not regular spacing, but relative to the stage. Good stuff.

eRonin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
eRonin
3DS FC
3969-5180-1975
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this...spacing? Just with projectiles?
Projectile spacing?

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
Oh. Obviously anywhere on the stage and above the stage, are good zones, because you can just Falcon Punch anyone and everyone into oblivion.

Seriously though.
Above him I think, is a good zone, at least against some opponents. You've got the upsmash, uair, utilt, falcon dive...

Also, a bit behind Falcon is a good zone I would say, due to his bair.

Edit: To Ronin...
It's a bit more then just a new speech about spacing. The whole concepts of zones is working on similar, but ultimately different level. It goes a bit deeper then just "learn how to space properly."

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this...spacing? Just with projectiles?
Projectile spacing?
Yes, it's a speech about spacing, although maybe a broader definition of spacing than some people use. Anyone who doesn't already do this sucks at fighting games. Like my roomate :laugh:

And I already invented zones in my (not likely to ever be finished) gimping thread, what's with these well-known smashers stealing my pro ideas?

Prez08

Smash Apprentice
Wouldn't this be more relative to the person playing Falcon, not Falcon himself? Even if it wasn't, Falcon's 'zones' vary differently for every character, and you guys are just talking in general, which is pointless..

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
Wouldn't this be more relative to the person playing Falcon, not Falcon himself? Even if it wasn't, Falcon's 'zones' vary differently for every character, and you guys are just talking in general, which is pointless..
Okay. Well then maybe we should turn this into a thread discussing Falcons' zones vs every character in the game. I think this whole "zone" thing could be a pretty key tool to work with on the Falcon boards.

Face124

Smash Ace
Edinburgh. Pm for a Brawl and I'll get back to you
Okay. Well then maybe we should turn this into a thread discussing Falcons' zones vs every character in the game. I think this whole "zone" thing could be a pretty key tool to work with on the Falcon boards.
Definitely, and the charcter thing will be helpful.

Obviously, in general to have them above you is good, especially against R.O.B./DK, but also right up close for Falcon's jab game.

Prez08

Smash Apprentice
Definitely, and the charcter thing will be helpful.

Obviously, in general to have them above you is good, especially against R.O.B./DK, but also right up close for Falcon's jab game.
Yea, jab cancels for the win! And they're easy to jab (:<

Are we just going to discuss whatever characters that pop up ? :urg:

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
Yea, jab cancels for the win! And they're easy to jab (:<

Are we just going to discuss whatever characters that pop up ? :urg:
Maybe someone could manage this thread and help move along discussion by deciding what character to talk about on a week to week basis.

That sometimes seems to work.

Iwan

Smash Ace
Yes, it's a speech about spacing, although maybe a broader definition of spacing than some people use. Anyone who doesn't already do this sucks at fighting games. Like my roomate :laugh:

And I already invented zones in my (not likely to ever be finished) gimping thread, what's with these well-known smashers stealing my pro ideas?
Pshhh....Wogrim you are well known. You pro *** falcon ;)

Also, realize that this isn't necessarily talking about spacing; It's not even talking about spacing in a broader definition than what most would. It's talking about the areas of a stage, relevant to where you and your opponent are, and what particular zones are good, bad, and neutral. It's also talking about the angles and and areas in the air and on the ground around captain falcon where he could do the most potential damage and create the best potential move strings.

Although spacing is relevant to zones (as it is to a lot of other aspects of this game), this thread is not about spacing aerials correctly or knowing the distances of tilts. lol...there are plenty of spacing threads out there.

This is not one of them.

It's talking about the particular areas where falcon does ridiculous s*** and does it well, and vice versa: areas where we shouldn't even approach or touch, depending on the match up.

"OMG WHATS THAT IWAN?! MATCH UPS? ZOMG DISCUSSION TIME AMIRITE?"

Yes; since this got some of you brainstorming, I'll make this a weekly discussion. I'll update it as soon as I submit this post. And for the first discussion, let's talk metaknight and get that mother***a over with. lol.

Player-3

Smash Hero
When in invicibility frames = good zone

when mk is off stage = neutral zone

everything else = bad zone

i win

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
I have very little experience against any good MK's either, but I can say that I think Falcon has very little good or neutral zones against MKs. Obviously Falcon has an advantage with range, so I think an ftilts length apart is a neutral zone. From there you've got dtilt as well, and utilt if timed right.

A good zone for Falcon is also above him. I believe this applies to MK as well.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Well, out of range of both of them (MK far away in the air) would be neutral, but when MK is in dair range it is bad. So I guess the only good zone with MK in the air is out of dair range but in utilt range. Falcon being above MK is always bad.

Wogrim

Smash Lord
Pshhh....Wogrim you are well known. You pro *** falcon ;)

Also, realize that this isn't necessarily talking about spacing; It's not even talking about spacing in a broader definition than what most would. It's talking about the areas of a stage, relevant to where you and your opponent are, and what particular zones are good, bad, and neutral. It's also talking about the angles and and areas in the air and on the ground around captain falcon where he could do the most potential damage and create the best potential move strings.

Although spacing is relevant to zones (as it is to a lot of other aspects of this game), this thread is not about spacing aerials correctly or knowing the distances of tilts. lol...there are plenty of spacing threads out there.

This is not one of them.

It's talking about the particular areas where falcon does ridiculous s*** and does it well, and vice versa: areas where we shouldn't even approach or touch, depending on the match up.

"OMG WHATS THAT IWAN?! MATCH UPS? ZOMG DISCUSSION TIME AMIRITE?"

Yes; since this got some of you brainstorming, I'll make this a weekly discussion. I'll update it as soon as I submit this post. And for the first discussion, let's talk metaknight and get that mother***a over with. lol.
That's why I'm saying people are being too narrow on their definition of spacing. I'm not limiting it to which moves can land. It's more about your and your opponent's options.

Iwan

Smash Ace
The thing that... aggravates me about metaknight (to say the least -_-)...is that....

In most scenarios against most characters, falcon's good zone would be in jabgrab territory, and also above falcon either straight above him, slightly angled to the left above him, or slightly angled to the right above him. Jabgrab territory is good for obvious reasons (duh), and your opponent being anywhere above falcon is good because falcon has a good aerial game (uair, dair, bair, fair). As far as good stage specific zones go, would it be wise to assume that being closer to the middle of the stage is a better zone for falcon than being near the edge? Being near the edge seems like it would be easier for metaknight to gimp falcon -_-

Metaknight definitely takes away one of the good zones for sure; having metaknight above you doesn't really give you any kind of advantage. Metaknight's Dair is so disjointed and has such a large hitbox that (more than likely), you'll either lose out or - at best - trade hits. Maybe a neutral zone for falcon against metaknight?

I would say bad zones are anywhere near the edge; it's asking to be gimped. Being above metaknight also seems like it'd be a very bad zone, so even though falcon's air game is his forte, maybe it's a good idea to stay grounded against metaknight.

Having metaknight on a platform above falcon would also be a good zone for falcon, because metaknight can't really dair as effectively.

That's what I got so far from watching way too many videos of M2k and imagining that he's playing falcon.......rofl....

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
Imo this
Well, out of range of both of them (MK far away in the air) would be neutral, but when MK is in dair range it is bad. So I guess the only good zone with MK in the air is out of dair range but in utilt range. Falcon being above MK is always bad.
and this
Having metaknight on a platform above falcon would also be a good zone for falcon, because metaknight can't really dair as effectively.
cover all of the good zones. Trying to gimp MK is often suicidal, and ftilt and dtilt, while possibly a bit shorter-ranged than Falcon's tilts (I don't ever use MK, I'm not sure), rack up damage and poke shields effortlessly. So, Falcon has no advantageous zones while he is in the air or while MK is on the ground? Or am I missing something?

Iwan

Smash Ace
Imo this

and this

cover all of the good zones. Trying to gimp MK is often suicidal, and ftilt and dtilt, while possibly a bit shorter-ranged than Falcon's tilts (I don't ever use MK, I'm not sure), rack up damage and poke shields effortlessly. So, Falcon has no advantageous zones while he is in the air or while MK is on the ground? Or am I missing something?
I'm convinced that having metaknight above falcon could be a neutral zone. Falcon's up air IS really good...I'm just not sure whether it has enough range to beat our dair. I'd like to think having metaknight above falcon is neutral for now until someone experienced in the match up comments.

On the ground? I'm not too sure...falcon's jab grab works well on all characters, although short characters can sometimes be more of a pain.

I've played tons of metaknights, just not GOOD ones. Anyone who's played good ones, please comment.

LOL where's Ayaz? He's played King Ace I'm sure. WHERE YOU AT AYAZ.

Hiza

Smash Apprentice
This misses the point of how falcon should be played, don't worry about his zone, you should learn about other people's zones.

t3h n00b

Smash Ace
I'm convinced that having metaknight above falcon could be a neutral zone. Falcon's up air IS really good...I'm just not sure whether it has enough range to beat our dair. I'd like to think having metaknight above falcon is neutral for now until someone experienced in the match up comments..
I haven't played a lot of good metaknights, but I've played some and watched M2K two weeks ago at BTYF. If you are below a good MK in dair range, more often than not, you will get daired. And even if you trade hits, you reset the situation. Say you even uair metaknight without getting hit. You reset the situation. If you get daired, there will very likely be a followup. As in bad zone. A third opinion would be good though.

HugS™

Smash Lord
I'm quite flattered that my blog was used for this thread. I hope it helps improve the falcon metagame.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
the only good place I can think of is when you're both in the air and he's in uair range

thats all i got, maybe try a character that's easier to space well, like jiggs or sonic

Face124

Smash Ace
Edinburgh. Pm for a Brawl and I'll get back to you
Pretty much everywhere has been, through the platforms are especially good, and if he's trying to shield a falcon dive goes right through that.

People forget about the grab release cg on MK, which would probably mean that at the edge right up close on a stage with no platforms would be good.

Prez08

Smash Apprentice
Ah, MK is a hard one. I always get ***** by one, so i have nothing to contribute. No matter where i am, I can't capitalize on any mistakes. It's frustrating :|

Roager

Smash Ace
Falcon's General Good Zones: close up/jabgrab area, above/above right/above left

MK's General Good Zones: Close up, air, directly below

Falcon's Neutral/Bad Zones: Far away, Far and above, far and below

MK's neutral/bad Zones: far away, far and above, far and below

All in all, their zones are pretty similar, as a list, but MK has more of them, and they beat Falcon's.

Seriously, all of Falcon's good zones pretty much get ***** by MK's zones.

It's a crazy hard matchup. This helps show that.

Iwan

Smash Ace
I say CP's should be discussed in this thread too.

Oh and nice work Iwan, first thread in an obvious growing trend.
CP's like stage CP's?

I CP japes and BF. Always all the time. That's it....xD

Anyway, I was talking about this a lot today with my metaknight maining friend, and I think the middle of the stage is a place you'd want to stay; away from ledges as to not get gimped to hell. In the middle of the stage...maybe in Utilt or Dtilt range.

We pretty much have the zones for each falcon and metaknight figured out, but being more specific (since this particular zone discussion ends on monday)...

Where do we want to be the entire match? What area of the stage do we want to make a conscious effort to stay around, and also, which zone do we want metaknight in for the majority of the match?

Where are we trying to box him in?

Top Bottom