• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

♥How to become a respected member of an online community... ♥

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Hey, SWF. It's boring old Heartz♥, here again to blabber about random stuff that most people have no care for.

My objective in this thread is to cover a few key elements that can assist in becoming a respected member of an online community, mainly forums such as this one.

A few members have the tendency to aim for such a title with the most unusual methods, such as posting in every thread, having an obscene username, or by spreading sob stories for pity. These actually cause hatred, and you WILL be ridiculed for all the days of your life. You might even end up on Encyclopedia Dramatica; "tyciol" becomes the utmost example for this.

The idea is to participate in a slow and steady pace. You cannot expect to be so renowned on your first day, especially not in the larger communities. Take this time to go over the following methods that could possibly help the average member not be a loser:

#1: The first (not second) impression.

Basically NOT screwing up your first try. These naturally begin with an introduction, or Meet and Greet thread. This isn't a requirement, but being welcomed can make the average newcomer feel more comfortable and...well, welcomed.

Your Meet and Greet thread title means EVERYTHING. People are attracted by unique titles, such as "I may be new, but I'm coming for YOU lol jk!" or "Glad to be here. Can I get a tour?" or "I am Heartz, the Femme Fatale Brawler". If you are going to name it something boring, then you will be thought as a very boring person. That's life for you.

The body. It doesn't have to be long, but it shouldn't be a one-liner either. You don't have to give your life story. People want to know what thrills you, what brought you to Smash, and how you ended up on Smash World Forums in the first place. As minor as this may sound, you'd get a decent amount of replies. No doubt about it.

2#: Your name. Got it memorized?

Very important. This may not matter to most, but the most unique and memorable names can attract other members, or atleast reduce the repelling rate. The best names in my opinion can be small, creative (yet simple), not made of only adverbs and verbs, has some sort of meaning, and describes you, with a concept to boot.

The random use of numbers and punctuation can make a name unattractive, because most likely it will be thought as a generic name that needed one or two non-letters to be accepted.

#3: Be yourself, but in a COOL way.

This pretty much means that you should act how you truly are, but add a unique twist to it, making it interesting. In my Meet and Greet thread, I typed in a noble, archaic tone, maintaining my polite, respectful nature, because that is what I am about.

People were really attracted to this apparently. I was a bit surprised myself. They liked the way I typed, because it was something unusual, yet so different and elegant. They wanted to see how I flow with it. I will never forget those words 'Til we meet on the battlefield..."

But enough about me.

#4: English, plz.

It doesn't have to be perfect, but it cannot be ******** either. The lack of this can get pretty bad. Coming into a thread like they have no sense of literature or grammar. As if their intent is for people to NOT understand what they are typing. Capitalizing every other letter, typing backwards, and using zeros for all "Os" gives a sign that you have no forum etiquette, and can be branded as a troll.

#5: Grow up and stay that way.

It is a fact, folks: most humans just plain out HATE kids, and if you present yourself as one, you'll be treated like one. That's the internet. We are unable to identify the people we meet online, so we base our reactions off of others' "actions". Members can get a noobish, immature vibe off of you. They can get VERY angry VERY easily when it comes to this.

The minimum age for most forums is 13. You aren't a kid anymore. If you are below this, I recommend some extra maturity, which may not be enough anyway. If this is a problem for you, you have the option of hiding your age, but your attitude? Not so much.

#6: Resourcefulness is resourceful.

HUGE factor. What people like in a person is their courtesy towards others. They arent about "Me Me ME". Helping people spreads your name rather quickly. To me, this is the most important out of all the methods. It doesn't matter what skills you have. Just taking the time to delightfully assist someone for even something so simple is a start, and doing it with a smile on your face as well, so to speak.

There are many ways to help people, and it all depends on your knowledge of things. If you are a graphic artist, make avatars and signatures for those who need it. Don't wait for them to ask, offer them. You can't help everybody, but just do what you can to help, and you will surely feel good about it in the end.

#7: The Game

"Oh awesome! I'm gonna be the greatest Smash Elitist EVER! Then everybody will be spamming my visitor wall asking for matches and some Smash tips! Right?!"

WRONG! Well, right actually, but it doesn't always have to be this way. Yes, this is actually a more powerful way to become a "renowned" member of a community, but doesnt always mean you will be respected. Humans are haters. They are envious for the things that others have that they don't, mostly fame and glory. But people get the wrong idea. Not all Smash elitists are cocky arseholes. They just...have alot of free time, is all.

Let this be a last resort. This can either be good or extremely, extremely bad.

#8: Why so serious?

Another good attribute for a respected member is a great sense of humor, or just being able to make people giggle, even with the most random of stuff. You don't have to be a stand-up comedian, though I've met some pretty hilarious people here. Your comedy can be slapstick, dry, crude, but as long as it doesn't offend anybody. Atleast I wouldn't suggest jokes like that.

"Oh how silly I am." ~Xiivi

#9: The next big thing.

Surprises, surprises, surprises. People just love them, don't they? What can keep a person from losing thier touch or "mojo" is by doing something new, something different, something completely random. It's always best to keep on the top of your A Game.

I won't use any examples for this. Very few people have taken things out of their sleeve that just shocks everyone. Something earth-trembling, web-trembling even. Of course, in a few cases, it is something that goes against site rules...

#10: Member discretion is advised...

What happens in real life, should stay in real life, especially any drama. If you are going on the web with any sob stories, you go to a specific thread or site willing to assist you in it. This normally isnt a problem, but I've experienced this alot, and it gets out of hand. People will share these sob stories as a means of getting sympathy and pity. That is literally a crying shame.

I like to come to the web for fun, but I just hate it when it gets shot down when I have to hear someone complaining about how their Wii was taken away and that they are gonna leave the Smashboards forever and all that. Most people don't want to hear that. You can really expose the type of pitiful person you are, and can lose respect immediately.

However, this can lie with being helpful. But if you do not give people the opportunity to help you, then you are...well...helpless.

#11: Look at all the freakin' colors, man. @_@

The colors are awesome. They stick out like a very red and bluish blistered sore thumb. This can also help in getting your name noticed. Of course, don't apply for the status just for the color, If you are a Smash Debater, do your job. If you are a Smash Writer, keep on writing. If you are an Itty Bitty Welcoming Committee Member, welcome newcomers in their Meet and Greet threads.

#12: Don't be a jerk.

Self-explanatory. Nobody likes one, so don't be one. Causing unnecessary arguments in threads that you don't even participate in, cracking jokes about people who need help, and backtalking Staff members are just one of the few things that make a jerk. They don't belong here.

Well, that about wraps up another random Hearty blog. Take care, guys.

♥

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Hey. I've been backtalking a lot to mods! D:<

j/k

That's a cool guide you wrote up there, Heartz. Hopefully a few members take that to heart (c wut i did thar? lulz). You forgot that noone likes "I'm the best player in XY" or "Prepare to get owned" Meet and Greet stuff... arrogancy is not really liked here.

Well done. Now get back to the kitchen and make me a sammich... <3

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
An excellent guide Madame.
Although by your rules, I'd be somewhat hated. I'm a jerk AND a kid!
>_o
Earth shattering news! All of OTL is gay! :mad:

Well done. Now get back to the kitchen and make me a sammich... <3
Edit: And this ^^^. :mad::mad::mad: (Ham and Cheese pl0x)

Spadefox <3

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
...How the hell do you guys get to these so fast? @_@
We own User Blogs, unlike that Jam Stunna guy, he just thinks he does. :chuckle:

FFVI sux j/k

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
We own User Blogs, unlike that Jam Stunna guy, he just thinks he does. :chuckle:

FFVI sux j/k
Ah I guess that makes sense, minus the Jam thing. lol
**** you, hater jk, but not really. Just playing, but no im serious

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I'll be pointing plenty of members to this blog. >__>

Have them take a good look at #4 and 5.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Thanks. I hope this can get stickied or whatever. I put my "heart" into this blog.

(c wut i did thar?)

@Spade: btw, that's copyrighted. Do it again, and hellooooo lawsuit.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988

I'll be on Heartz's Prosecution team.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Yea, it would be heartbreaking when the mods would show a heart of ice and not put this guide into some stickied form. It is, after all, the heart and essence of becoming a good user.

Heartz♥

Smash Legend
Yea, it would be heartbreaking when the mods would show a heart of ice and not put this guide into some stickied form. It is, after all, the heart and essence of becoming a good user.
Then again, blogs normally attract writers of some sort. The people that need to read this probably never even clicked on the User Blogs link. lol

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Haven't you seen all those Meet and Greet-threads which have been opened in this section? lol

Frown

poekmon

Saying that the white Bowser looked PIMP. Meh.

One syllable.

I am myself but not cool.

Ich spreche Englisch. Das ist gut, ja.

I'll be 18 in 11 months.

I've put more priority on making entries in roy_owns' thread than homework.

I play Yoshi i.e. it's impossible for me to win.

No comment.

I did. I have 5 infractions.

I did this once, and I facepalm myself every time I think about it.

Yellow FTW

NO U
do u liek me???? ;_;

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Frown tries too hard. I almost laughed.

Edit: I lied. After reading that, I was impressed. I only laughed when I scrolled up and saw his avatar.

bobson

Smash Lord
I think anyone who needs a guide to become a respected member of the community wasn't going to be a respected member of the community in the first place.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I think anyone who needs a guide to become a respected member of the community wasn't going to be a respected member of the community in the first place.
Good point, but it might give people who have the wrong mindset a bump into the right direction. Everyone starts out as noob.

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
Hmm..this is nice but I also get the feeling it won't be seen by those who really need it. I haven't run into anyone that seems to really need it though, everyone here seems to be level-headed and open. Then again I haven't been here a long time.
I suddenly feel anxious. I hope that I don't fit into the group of people who need this :A:

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wait...there are RULES for online interaction? But...I'm only here because I severely lack anything resembling applicable social skills....

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
Nice guide, but you're missing: "Don't act like Asaph." D:

Just a thought, but wouldn't this also be nice in the meet and greet (or whatever the welcoming forum is called). Unless it already is.

urdailywater

Smash Hero
I follow this stuff, people just take me for granted sometimes *sigh*.

Maybe they'd like me better if I was a cola or something.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I follow this stuff, people just take me for granted sometimes *sigh*.

Maybe they'd like me better if I was a cola or something.

They'd like you more if you were an arrogant prick like myself.

Scott!

Smash Lord
A very nice list indeed. Of course, I didn't really do half of that when I joined. No meet and greet topic, no great threads of knowledge, no bragging about my (relative lack of) Brawl skill. At least my name's distinctive-ish. The ! is fun. I'm not sure I like the implications towards my character with the "Be yourself, but in a cool way" bit though. But yeah, this should be the page that every new member is first linked to once they create an account.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Link to original post: How to become a respected member of an online community... (possibly)

WERE JUMPING ONTO WHITE BASE

D-A-R-K-S-L-A-S-H GOT IT FREAKING MEMORIZED

GENDUM!!

But my Gramars are good, and my speeling too.

lololololololololol

Its too bad I don't go to major game sites like IGN and Kotaku

oh **** you

HARO NEXT BIG THING HARO NEXT BIG THING[/orange]

Hey guys...my friends girlfriend got shot by some trigger happy muslim kid.
j/k

Sorry I can't read you over how awesome the colors are, man

I R JERK #1 ON 4CHAN!
♥
Do I win any thing?

dancingfrogman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3133 8842 3910

Bah, I didn't do no Meeting and Greetingness, so I wasn't welcomed at all

Danc-ing-Frog-Man

Seriously, who would think of such a panzzy name, other than me! At least my name ca be abbreviated to an easy DFM

I'm always me, otherwise I would type "NO WAI MANZ, I PWN EVRYTING IN DIS GAMEZ"

Ahh, yes, we all love easy to understand Engrish, rite?

But I is 14, I is hated now :(, it's a good thing I'm smart for my age, supposedly.

What do I know... not much, but I know for sure that I'll help someone if they need it, and I'm far from the "Me Me Me" type

Meh, You win some and you lose some, that's life for ya

Why so serious in asking the question? BAH! But really, it's nice debating/arguing stuff, but when it goes to flaming, that's a step to far.

But my "mojo", "sazzam" is me doing not that good... or was that the mindgame, or is it to put the wool over you mandemz eyes? You will never know.

BAH , POLITICS!

But yellows a great colour, sorry for the colour blind though.

Am I everz? But jerking off... no need to express that emotion.
Mai Comments about teh respectionz

PhoenixoKaZe

Smash Ace
NNID
Toffykun
I agree with most of teh stuff, Heartz, (doesn`t sound like boring gibberish to me lol XD) cept on the first impression, I phailed in teh Meet/Greet thread >_< (not that sociable)

finalark

SNORLAX
Great post, Heartz. A fine read that should be stickied. It's a shame that I could name a number of people who need to work on number 12... oh well. Not being a jerk kind of goes hand-in-hand with growing up and showing maturity. Something that a number of people could also work on.

Geist

Smash Master
Nice post there Heartz.
Alot of people should see this, mostly referring to people who can't structure their sentences.

Another way to gain respect quickly is to do other people good deeds without expecting repercussions, like making them a sig when they don't have one.
<3

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My actions ended up on Encyclapedia Dramatica once, but not my name...

urdailywater

Smash Hero
My actions ended up on Encyclapedia Dramatica once, but not my name...
You're so lucky dude. I've been trying to get recognized by Dramatica ever since I was born.

They'd probably write about how cool I am and stuff like that.

This thread needs a sticky, seriously.

Top Bottom